Author Topic: 2018 in Music  (Read 126519 times)

Online Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: 2018 in Music
« Reply #120 on: February 3, 2018, 06:58:04 pm »
Had the misfortune of working today, but still managed to listen to a few really good albums which meant my Saturday wasn't completely ruined  ;D.

First up was Dream Wife's self titled debut which is terrific. A really fun album with some great tunes. 'Taste' especially has some excellent guitar riffs.

Next up was Rhye's new album Blood. Woman was great and this one is of similar quality. Nice to put on and just let the music wash over you. That's Rhye in a nutshell basically.

And finally, No Age's Snares Like a Haircut. Again, pretty solid but maybe not as strong as their early albums. Will give it a few more goes though.

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #121 on: February 4, 2018, 01:27:56 pm »
Got the Django Django Lp yesterday,  nice light electro pop...was expecting a bit more , but nice nether the less

Online FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: February 5, 2018, 01:03:27 pm »
Anyone into Joan as Police Women?...heard a few things, sort of ok, then heard track from forthcoming Lp and sounds really good....she's playing a free 'set' at Concerto Records in Amsterdam on Friday afternoon if anyone cares to join me! ;)

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #123 on: February 5, 2018, 04:33:36 pm »
Anyone into Joan as Police Women?...heard a few things, sort of ok, then heard track from forthcoming Lp and sounds really good....she's playing a free 'set' at Concerto Records in Amsterdam on Friday afternoon if anyone cares to join me! ;)

She is good - new stuff sounds brilliant tho.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: February 5, 2018, 05:11:05 pm »
quite soulfull...and really good!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/X8vumVOtgso" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/X8vumVOtgso</a>

« Last Edit: February 5, 2018, 05:13:18 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #125 on: February 5, 2018, 07:53:03 pm »
Saw The Weather Station last night after getting into them really late.

Absolutely magnificent. Playing Liverpool on Saturday so go along if you can.

This was great, Nick. Really liked Red River Dialect, too. Not sure if you caught them?

Knocked up some words about the night if you care to read.

http://www.getintothis.co.uk/2018/02/weather-station-red-river-dialect-central-library-liverpool/

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: February 5, 2018, 08:12:44 pm »
Nice review mate!

Wish I could have gone to that.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #127 on: February 5, 2018, 09:29:57 pm »
This was great, Nick. Really liked Red River Dialect, too. Not sure if you caught them?

Knocked up some words about the night if you care to read.

http://www.getintothis.co.uk/2018/02/weather-station-red-river-dialect-central-library-liverpool/

I did - the lead singer used to work in Resident Records in Brighton so always followed them and thought they were superb. Really great musicians.

That is a great review.

I said to Sam on text (a RAWK bromance is happening :)) that I won't see many better gigs this year.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2018, 09:36:48 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #128 on: February 6, 2018, 10:02:54 am »
Nice review mate!

Wish I could have gone to that.

Cheers, mate. Had a plus one, too! Should have given you a shout :(. Certainly will next time.

I did - the lead singer used to work in Resident Records in Brighton so always followed them and thought they were superb. Really great musicians.

That is a great review.

I said to Sam on text (a RAWK bromance is happening :)) that I won't see many better gigs this year.

They were seriously good. Had never heard of them before the gig and have listened to their new album a couple of times - probably one of the best things I've heard this year so far. Kicking myself that I didn't grab a copy at the gig!

Haha. that's great. Nothing wrong with a RAWK bromance. *missin' you, Jooney* ;D

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: February 6, 2018, 11:12:02 am »
Looking forward to giving H.C. McEntire – Lionheart a listen. Reading about it, sounds like it could be up my street. Phil Cook is on it.

Not had nearly enough time to listen to stuff so far this year.

Also had the Red River Dialect one on, its good.

Online FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 6, 2018, 02:15:37 pm »
Seeing the enthusiasm for The Weather Station I checked out some tracks on Youtube and...its....ok..maybe with more plays it would get under my skin....but havent we had enough Joni Mitchell?

But hey! who am I to judge and clearly you guys are enjoing it and if you want you could meet up in Sam's bedsit , throw some cushions on the floor ,light a few sented candles and while listening to Weather Station , braid each others hair.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: February 6, 2018, 02:47:45 pm »
Seeing the enthusiasm for The Weather Station I checked out some tracks on Youtube and...its....ok..maybe with more plays it would get under my skin....but havent we had enough Joni Mitchell?

But hey! who am I to judge and clearly you guys are enjoing it and if you want you could meet up in Sam's bedsit , throw some cushions on the floor ,light a few sented candles and while listening to Weather Station , braid each others hair.

*rises to the bait*

You cheeky c*nt, I've got a whole terraced house not just a bedsit ;D

And anyway, don't play the 'soft lads' card with us, weren't you listening to First Aid Kit the other day :P

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #132 on: February 6, 2018, 03:08:08 pm »
*rises to the bait*

And anyway, don't play the 'soft lads' card with us, weren't you listening to First Aid Kit the other day :P

Haha - RAWK music thread getting personal.

The HC McEntire album is my fav of year - bought it on Sunday actually. She is in Angel Olsen's band (formerly of Mount Moriah).

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #133 on: February 6, 2018, 04:42:58 pm »

:lmao

*reverts back to loner tendencies with a copy of "A Deeper Understanding" in hand.*

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #134 on: February 6, 2018, 09:22:43 pm »
:lmao

*reverts back to loner tendencies with a copy of "A Deeper Understanding" in hand.*

I played that on clear vinyl earlier (although is coke bottle clear on the sticker  ???) - belting record.

Anyway, check out the new album by Ought - it is a fucking delight! And one that we should all like. Not too Dad-rock and not too folky  8)
« Last Edit: February 6, 2018, 09:25:23 pm by Nick110581 »

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #135 on: February 7, 2018, 10:23:28 am »
I played that on clear vinyl earlier (although is coke bottle clear on the sticker  ???) - belting record.

Anyway, check out the new album by Ought - it is a fucking delight! And one that we should all like. Not too Dad-rock and not too folky  8)
They described the track Desire as a mix between Sade and Bruce Springsteen. Feel like you've got to check that out. It's the only one I've heard off the new record, a change of direction, I liked it very much.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #136 on: February 7, 2018, 10:36:41 am »

Listened to the new Ought this morning. Sounds really really good. Loved their first album but not so much their second. This is a return to form.

Another that I've been really digging is the new No Age. Again, very much a return to form.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 7, 2018, 10:47:09 am »
Listened to the new Ought this morning. Sounds really really good. Loved their first album but not so much their second. This is a return to form.

Another that I've been really digging is the new No Age. Again, very much a return to form.
That's good to here. Loved their first one.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 7, 2018, 10:47:41 am »
Managed to see these guys from Sydney supporting The War On Drugs last night.

Debut album due out in May.

Middle Kids - Mistake

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=77&amp;v=lRmsyFCP-Jw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=77&amp;v=lRmsyFCP-Jw</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #139 on: February 7, 2018, 11:18:25 am »

Guy in local record shop was raving about No Age.

Ought is absolutely immense. Springsteen meets Sade!

Online FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 7, 2018, 11:19:12 am »
*rises to the bait*

;D ;D

Lads, why such a reaction!!?...I was merely alluding to the ways of you all connecting to your feminine side whilst listening to the musings of Joni Mitchell clone Miss Weather Station.....though I must take umbridge comparing her navel gazeing ( and Im sure a damn pretty one) with First Aid Kits Sultry Swedish Sister Songstressess and their lustful and lovelorn music deliverd with a shit kickin' Nashville sound.

I will give The Weather Station another go but something tells me, the listener is on a renaissance ride that recalls Joni Mitchells album run in the late 60s into 70s and Carol Kings Tapastry trot…" ;)

« Last Edit: February 7, 2018, 11:29:05 am by FlashingBlade »

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #141 on: February 7, 2018, 01:00:42 pm »
Haha - Carol King's Tapestry trot. Very nice.

Speaking of very nice, I agree with you regarding the new Django Django record. Really decent stuff, and although there is still some overt electro pop moments, there seems to be a nice mix of really blissed out tunes as well. The track 'Further' is one of the best tunes they've written so far.

Online FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 7, 2018, 02:55:53 pm »

Speaking of very nice, I agree with you regarding the new Django Django record. Really decent stuff, and although there is still some overt electro pop moments, there seems to be a nice mix of really blissed out tunes as well. The track 'Further' is one of the best tunes they've written so far.

Yup, its worth sticking with , delivering more now, really like it.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #143 on: February 7, 2018, 08:35:07 pm »
This new Ought album is amazing.

Also, listened to the last Protomartyr album (Agent Intellect) - that is a beauty too. Feel like you could take on the world listen to it.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #144 on: February 8, 2018, 04:44:51 pm »
This new Ought album is amazing.

Gave this a try. His voice distortions are well annoying, like he tried to swallow half an orange and it got stuck.  :'(
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 8, 2018, 05:16:17 pm »
Haha - RAWK music thread getting personal.

The HC McEntire album is my fav of year - bought it on Sunday actually. She is in Angel Olsen's band (formerly of Mount Moriah).
Good shout that. Merge Records strikes again, they've got a fucking brilliant roster of artists.

On that subject, I'm quite enjoying Superchunk's latest. Bit more political than their older stuff, maybe, but still a lot of fun to listen to.

Online FlashingBlade

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 9, 2018, 04:42:38 pm »
Popped along to Concerto Records today to see Joan as Police Women do a little set for official release day of LP 'Damned Desire'...and bloody good it was too, intimate affair in the cafe area about 50 odd people and she played 7 or 8 songs for abotut 40 mins. She has a very good voice, performing on piano and guitar.

I bought the Lp ( it would have been rude not too!) and first few listens it very good, soulful with nice groove....and lurid purple vinyl!

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2018, 12:07:32 am »
The Ezra Furman album is pretty bloody cool. I know nowt about the guy but downloaded it on the strength of a couple of reviews and am really glad I did. Sort of catchy, indie rock pop stuff with some really odd sound effects and jarring instrumentation thrown into the mix, and some great lyrics. Might have to actually buy some of his stuff. Anyone know much about him, and what's good in his back catalogue?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 01:50:28 am by Djozer »

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2018, 08:33:39 am »
The Ezra Furman album is pretty bloody cool. I know nowt about the guy but downloaded it on the strength of a couple of reviews and am really glad I did. Sort of catchy, indie rock pop stuff with some really odd sound effects and jarring instrumentation thrown into the mix, and some great lyrics. Might have to actually buy some of his stuff. Anyone know much about him, and what's good in his back catalogue?

Haven't listened to his latest stuff but his last album Perpetual Motion People was in my top 10 for 2015. Not saying my taste is anything to go by but just saying that I was a fan :).
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2018, 11:49:29 am »
Haven't listened to his latest stuff but his last album Perpetual Motion People was in my top 10 for 2015. Not saying my taste is anything to go by but just saying that I was a fan :).
Ah, I'm sure you've got stunning taste mate. Much obliged.

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2018, 09:56:50 am »

Nice will check this out.

New Hookworms album sounds very promising.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2018, 10:19:38 am »
I can't get on with Ezra Furman's voice although I like the odd song.

Brother raving about Hookworms album so need to check that!

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2018, 10:52:08 pm »
Really like Franz Ferdinand's new album (who haven't made a poor album in fairness), wisely gone with a slightly different sound since the departure of guitarist Nick McCarthy. I've always liked Alex Kapranos as a frontman (imagine if Brett Anderson wasn't a twat and had a bit more self-awareness about him) and he seems to be having a lot of fun on this one.

Also heard a couple of tunes by Franz's labelmates Superorganism, really digging them so far.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2018, 10:58:31 pm »
New Hookworms album sounds very promising.

it's a cracker........playing the Wind Factory later this month too  8)
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2018, 10:36:21 am »
Liked the new Okkervil River song, 'Don't Move Back To L.A'

No big departures in sound or anything but I like most of their stuff anyway.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2018, 03:13:41 pm »
Does anyone know anything about Preoccupations?

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2018, 03:31:01 pm »
Does anyone know anything about Preoccupations?

It's who/what the band Viet Cong changed their name to.  Who were themselves an offshoot of Women (one of best 'modern' bands of last few years) - who broke up in a huge fist fight a while ago. 

2 Women albums - Amazing, 2nd one especially
1 Viet Cong album - Excellent
1 Preoccupations album - no idea. Listened to it once, was unmoved and ended up ignoring it for no good reason other than they bowed to the internet pressure of boring pricks and changed their name from Viet Cong (great) to Preoccupations (boring). If they wuss out on that, they'll wuss out on their tunes in exchange for popularity and sales - i guess a preoocupation with my own, undoubtedly flawed and wankerish, logic is why I skipped it. 

EDIT- Viet Cong had an unbelievable debut EP too.  Which the album didn't quite surpass - really worth looking around for.

Here's a good NPR session from around the time of the debut album.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1Uv-5YEEBCM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1Uv-5YEEBCM</a>
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:49:45 pm by Chip Evans »

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2018, 05:51:14 pm »
My mates are big fans of Viet Cong, and thought the same about the name change Chip. I was never quite into it but I could see where they were coming from.

I would also say though that it must be difficult to resist the name change in the current climate though, nobody wants to be on the end of an internet witchhunt.

Having said that, if you call yourselves Viet Cong, surely you must be looking for a bit of aggro and controversy in the first place?

Perhaps your right - bottlers! ;D

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2018, 05:54:59 pm »
It's who/what the band Viet Cong changed their name to.  Who were themselves an offshoot of Women (one of best 'modern' bands of last few years) - who broke up in a huge fist fight a while ago. 

2 Women albums - Amazing, 2nd one especially
1 Viet Cong album - Excellent
1 Preoccupations album - no idea. Listened to it once, was unmoved and ended up ignoring it for no good reason other than they bowed to the internet pressure of boring pricks and changed their name from Viet Cong (great) to Preoccupations (boring). If they wuss out on that, they'll wuss out on their tunes in exchange for popularity and sales - i guess a preoocupation with my own, undoubtedly flawed and wankerish, logic is why I skipped it. 

EDIT- Viet Cong had an unbelievable debut EP too.  Which the album didn't quite surpass - really worth looking around for.

Here's a good NPR session from around the time of the debut album.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1Uv-5YEEBCM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1Uv-5YEEBCM</a>

Thanks Chip - they are playing NYC when I go and knew I had an idea on them

Will check out

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2018, 07:54:16 pm »
Thanks Chip - they are playing NYC when I go and knew I had an idea on them

Will check out

Sweet - sounds like a nice trip, love going to gigs on holidays too. I can vouch for Women live, never caught Viet Cong - but I think KerryKop might have seen them.  He either caught them in Workman's Dublin, or Electric Picnic - or at least planned to? Only remember that as I couldn't go to the Dublin show and was kicking myself - everyone I know raved about it.  They're all fantastic players so the gig would be definitely worth going to.

My mates are big fans of Viet Cong, and thought the same about the name change Chip. I was never quite into it but I could see where they were coming from.

I would also say though that it must be difficult to resist the name change in the current climate though, nobody wants to be on the end of an internet witchhunt.

Having said that, if you call yourselves Viet Cong, surely you must be looking for a bit of aggro and controversy in the first place?

Perhaps your right - bottlers! ;D

Absolutely - internet wankers (He says as the most earnest of internet wankers). I don't see a huge issue with calling your post-punk band Viet Cong. I could pluck 10 other band names out of the air that should have a similar issue - Joy Division as a sex slave wing in a concentration camp for starting point. Age of rage shit, go listen to nursery ryhmes - those lads are in punk bands all their lives and should know better.  But I reckon some festival PR sanitizer told them they wouldn't put Viet Cong on a poster.

The only other case I can remember is a criminally underrated Californian band called The Soft Pack - who started out as being called The Muslims. They changed their name as people were being really offensive about Muslims at their shows and made them hate the name.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/the-soft-pack-22-1331400

Their first album as The Soft Pack was fanstastic, should have been huge - simple inoffensive A&R indie rock - Paisley or New Zealand style, bits of the Beatlesy end of early Coral thrown in at times.  Reckon a few of you fellas would really dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E1T5FB_M6o&list=PL452A1610C13A8DFF
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:00:42 pm by Chip Evans »