Author Topic: The Expanse - James S A Corey  (Read 30806 times)

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
Re: The Expanse - James S A Corey
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2018, 10:37:26 am »
I only started watching this last week, I am binging hard, am now on season 2 - episode 6

It's fucking awesome, I really like the way they've done it and the space scenes seem more realistic (I don't know if they are, but they do seem more believable than other Sci-Fi)

Space Creole is cool too.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2018, 06:58:34 pm »
I just watched episode 10 of season 3. Wow. Up there with the best tv I’ve seen this show. I’m glad it became popular - I saw it randomly on Netflix a couple of years ago, and have binged every season since. Hope Amazon throw a shit tonne of money at this one.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2018, 07:15:24 pm »
I just watched episode 10 of season 3. Wow. Up there with the best tv I’ve seen this show. I’m glad it became popular - I saw it randomly on Netflix a couple of years ago, and have binged every season since. Hope Amazon throw a shit tonne of money at this one.
They will do as Jeff Bezos who is a big fan of the show was livid it got canned.

Amazon picked it up a week later and it was Bezos who announced it at a pre arranged event where all the main cast were all at.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uqBEIyG0Dp8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uqBEIyG0Dp8</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2018, 08:27:27 pm »

It really,really is & we've only really seen the beginning of the story.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2018, 11:19:20 pm »
Just finished the last 2 as well.

The first two seasons were intriguing enough to keep you watching, the third takes it all to another level. What a great story.

Ive been going through a bit of a sci-fi, space exploration, AI, phase recently - Interstellar, BladeRunner2049, Altered Carbon, Arrival, The Martian all satiating my appetite in recent years. This is right up there with the best of it. Loving the story so much that I just ordered the first book.

Best themes in this genre for me are the ones focusing on the more intelligent power vs humans. Most of this genre on tv/film delves into parts of it and scratches at the surface, but this one deals with it amazingly. I love that it’s a tv programme and not a film. We get to delve into the detail. Interstellar dealt with exploration (brilliantly), numerous films and tv dealt with AI and extra terrestrial intelligence this last few years (Arrival and Bladerunner did it brilliantly). This series does all of it wrapped in an storyline veering from detective new-noir to space opera. From setting the scene with the three human civilisations, the conflicts to the coming together to face a higher power and all of the existential questions that brings. Amazing. What a story. Hopefully I like Corey’s writing style enough to stay engaged with the books.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2018, 11:45:23 pm »
Just finished the last 2 as well.

The first two seasons were intriguing enough to keep you watching, the third takes it all to another level. What a great story.

Ive been going through a bit of a sci-fi, space exploration, AI, phase recently - Interstellar, BladeRunner2049, Altered Carbon, Arrival, The Martian all satiating my appetite in recent years. This is right up there with the best of it. Loving the story so much that I just ordered the first book.

Best themes in this genre for me are the ones focusing on the more intelligent power vs humans. Most of this genre on tv/film delves into parts of it and scratches at the surface, but this one deals with it amazingly. I love that it’s a tv programme and not a film. We get to delve into the detail. Interstellar dealt with exploration (brilliantly), numerous films and tv dealt with AI and extra terrestrial intelligence this last few years (Arrival and Bladerunner did it brilliantly). This series does all of it wrapped in an storyline veering from detective new-noir to space opera. From setting the scene with the three human civilisations, the conflicts to the coming together to face a higher power and all of the existential questions that brings. Amazing. What a story. Hopefully I like Corey’s writing style enough to stay engaged with the books.

James S. A. Corey is actually two authors called Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck.I am waiting for the next series to end before getting the books which cover that time period.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: February 9, 2019, 07:09:49 pm »
Season 3 is up on Amazon prime at the moment.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2019, 06:41:32 pm »
I started watching this a few weeks ago, and now I only have the last episode of season 3 to go. It's such a great show.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2019, 06:52:33 pm »
The politics of it are plausible, and interesting. You can really see that scenario happening if Mars was ever colonised and enough time went by where generations became inherent to that environment. The human race will always find things to fight over, and there will always be slaves, or poorer people taken advantage of (Belters). I just can't figure out why they all have to speak with that quasi Jamaican accent. It even sounds a bit like Asian accent parody at times, and it reminds me of Bob Mortimer's Paul Baron accent from Kinky John's Nightclub.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TutMf0xPczI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TutMf0xPczI</a>

Spoiler
I'm hoping Thomas Jane's character somehow gets brought back into this, because since he's left, I think the quality of it has dipped a little.
[close]
Bumping this post.

You can see where they got the inspiration for The Belters to sound like.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2019, 06:03:58 pm »
Finished the third season today. Great world building, really plausible story lines (given the starting point), dialogue was a little weak, but the care they have taken to bring the world to life makes up for it.

Has anyone read the books?
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: June 23, 2019, 08:44:01 pm »
Finished the third season today. Great world building, really plausible story lines (given the starting point), dialogue was a little weak, but the care they have taken to bring the world to life makes up for it.

Has anyone read the books?

I'm waiting for the show to finish before I start on the books.Same with GOT but I'm not reading them until he has finished writing them.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: June 23, 2019, 10:03:50 pm »
I'm waiting for the show to finish before I start on the books.Same with GOT but I'm not reading them until he has finished writing them.

I think the books are close to done or done already If I'm not mistaken?
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: June 23, 2019, 10:06:48 pm »
I think the books are close to done or done already If I'm not mistaken?

Yeah,they're well ahead.I was going to get them when it got cancelled but then Amazon stepped up.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: June 25, 2019, 05:20:18 pm »
The books are ahead, but not 'done' as such and are really closer to the Dune books in structure than being one continuous story like the Lord of The Rings books.  At current pace (1 novel to 1 series) it will take the tv show 5 more seasons to catch up.   

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2019, 12:24:59 am »
Season 4 is coming out 13th December.

And a teaser.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=56&v=kNIim3xqsEU
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:29:05 am by Brian Blessed »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2019, 12:32:40 am »
Season 4 is coming out 13th December.

And a teaser.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=56&v=kNIim3xqsEU

October through December promises to be one of the best periods ever for both returning and new shows.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9LrZiNOvp_c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9LrZiNOvp_c</a>
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 12:41:30 am by WhereAngelsPlay »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: July 27, 2019, 08:36:47 pm »
It’s already been renewed for a fifth season.

I haven’t read the books, but I think the show does roughly a season per book and the fifth should be really good.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: July 27, 2019, 09:07:07 pm »
It's the richest man on the planets' favourite show so we should get to see it through to its conclusion.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2019, 07:46:21 am »

James S. A. Corey is actually two authors called Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck.I am waiting for the next series to end before getting the books which cover that time period.

Do you read physical or e-books? PM me if you want to buy the latter. In fact, for any others you want.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #139 on: October 6, 2019, 02:15:37 pm »
New Expanse Season 4 trailer is up.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RR91DGTgWbY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RR91DGTgWbY</a>

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: October 6, 2019, 02:19:16 pm »
On Netflix or?

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: October 6, 2019, 03:07:14 pm »

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: October 6, 2019, 03:08:07 pm »
Torrents it is. [emoji16]

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 6, 2019, 03:31:17 pm »
Cannot wait for this.

You can see the budget has gone up with the show going to Amazon from the trailers so far.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: October 6, 2019, 03:32:41 pm »
Yeah, this looks immense.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2019, 09:11:14 pm »
Another Expanse Season 4 trailer is up, although a lot of the footage is the same as the previous one.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TFdzpVt5rbk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TFdzpVt5rbk</a>

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 18, 2019, 09:24:46 pm »
December has some amazing shows.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2019, 02:55:48 am »
Just watched the first 5 episodes of season 1 and I'm loving it so far, really engrossing, excellent story and visually is brilliant.

I can't believe I'd never heard of it before discovering this thread a few months back and putting it on my watch list, had genuinrly never heard it mentioned anywhere or recommended like so much other shite thats out there does.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 02:58:51 am by OneTouchFooty »

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2019, 09:12:00 am »
Just watched the first 5 episodes of season 1 and I'm loving it so far, really engrossing, excellent story and visually is brilliant.

I can't believe I'd never heard of it before discovering this thread a few months back and putting it on my watch list, had genuinrly never heard it mentioned anywhere or recommended like so much other shite thats out there does.

Best bit, it gets better :)

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2019, 10:24:46 pm »
Just watched the last episode of series 3 just in time for series 4. Series 1 was a little slow but series 2 and 3 were really good. Isnt there like 9 books?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2019, 02:45:00 pm »
It's out in the usual places. Two episodes in and it's fantastic. It feels a bit different, like the quality has been kicked up a notch in the acting (for the most part anyway) the directing, CG, everything. Really good start so far.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2019, 03:12:18 pm »
Is it on Prime also?

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2019, 04:35:40 pm »
Is it on Prime also?
It should be indeed. I downloaded the lot and it was from a webrip, so it should be there.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2019, 05:41:29 pm »
Looks fantastic on Prime in 4k HDR

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2019, 07:27:40 pm »
Is it on Prime also?

Best quality on Prime.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2019, 07:53:34 pm »
It's out in the usual places. Two episodes in and it's fantastic. It feels a bit different, like the quality has been kicked up a notch in the acting (for the most part anyway) the directing, CG, everything. Really good start so far.

I have two episodes left to go.  Personally I haven't noticed any difference with the acting, but the CGI and general visual presentation has definitely improved.  I'm gonna wait until I've seen the last two episodes to form a final, overall opinion of season four.  I will say though that at this point in time although it's been very good, I don't think that it's been the best season of The Expanse to date.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 07:58:33 pm by Darren G »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2019, 08:52:14 pm »

I have two episodes left to go.  Personally I haven't noticed any difference with the acting, but the CGI and general visual presentation has definitely improved.  I'm gonna wait until I've seen the last two episodes to form a final, overall opinion of season four.  I will say though that at this point in time although it's been very good, I don't think that it's been the best season of The Expanse to date.

Definitely not the best but I put that down to the single location,still enjoyed it and am not bothered because since Bezos pumped money into it we're going to get the whole story.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2019, 02:18:55 am »

Yeah, I'm up to episode 7 now, and I think it's because of the overall pacing and narrative that just seems to get bogged down in too much talking and plodding with situations that should be resolved in an episode, but got dragged out for too long. It's been solid enough, but a bit underwhelming so far. More of the main players and less of disposable belters that might as well have been played by glorified extras for the next series, please. From what I've read, this is the weakest book in the series, but the next one is supposed to be the best one, so could just be a bit of a lull in the story until it picks back up again. BSG had a similar series or two if I recall correctly.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2019, 05:17:36 am »
Yeah, I'm up to episode 7 now, and I think it's because of the overall pacing and narrative that just seems to get bogged down in too much talking and plodding with situations that should be resolved in an episode, but got dragged out for too long. It's been solid enough, but a bit underwhelming so far. More of the main players and less of disposable belters that might as well have been played by glorified extras for the next series, please. From what I've read, this is the weakest book in the series, but the next one is supposed to be the best one, so could just be a bit of a lull in the story until it picks back up again. BSG had a similar series or two if I recall correctly.

Good points which I completely agree with.  The pacing problems that you mention in particular are definitely an issue, which I think are made worse - or at least more obvious - by the fact that it constantly cuts between multiple, somewhat unconnected stories.   It's also an interesting point that you make about the book.  I know that Cibola Burn is not very well rated by some, but I think that there's also the aspect that some books simply don't translate as well as others to television.  Caliban's War for example was always going to be a better fit due to it's nature.  There's no way that Cibola Burn could really be skipped, but yeah,  this has really felt somewhat like a filler season so far.  Still far better than ninety percent of the crap currently on the tele though.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 07:39:44 am by Darren G »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2019, 03:42:58 pm »
I'm glad that we've got badass Bobbie back.