Author Topic: The Expanse - James S A Corey  (Read 30835 times)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
The Expanse - James S A Corey
« on: December 13, 2015, 02:35:59 pm »

or so says wired..

SYFY’S NEW SHOW The Expanse features great writing and high production values, and is designed to appeal to the sort of discriminating genre fans who watch Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. TV critic Andrew Liptak notes that while Syfy has produced some great shows like Battlestar Galactica, recent offerings like Sharknado have turned the network into something of a punch line.

“Syfy has gotten beat up over the last several years for airing some crappy shows and really turning their back on the classic space opera stuff,” Liptak says in Episode 180 of the Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy podcast. “A lot of people really didn’t like that about Syfy, and really thought they were turning their back on their roots.”

Fans of TV space operas have had little to enjoy the past few years, ever since the premature demise of shows like Farscape and Firefly. Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, creators of The Expanse, told interviewer Liz Shannon Miller that studios are leery about the high cost of space opera shows.

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/geeks-guide-the-expanse/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/

I'm looking forward to trying this on for size, maybe this can be my new Tv series.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Expanse is the new Battlestar Gallactica
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 02:50:35 pm »
Nice, hadn't heard of this before but I've always quite liked shows like Firefly and the new Battlestar (though could never enjoy Star Trek somehow). You said you're looking forward to trying it on but it looks like the first episode is already out? Probably not in the UK but it'll be online somewhere.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 03:06:32 pm »
Nice, hadn't heard of this before but I've always quite liked shows like Firefly and the new Battlestar (though could never enjoy Star Trek somehow). You said you're looking forward to trying it on but it looks like the first episode is already out? Probably not in the UK but it'll be online somewhere.
Imdb says it airs on monday. So ill give a few eps a go.

Ive just finished the man in the high castle and im currently watching ash vs the evil dead, but those eps are rather short. So, heres to a new sci fi series :)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 03:21:37 pm »
The first one is on Youtube and Primewire.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/5Lqz_oEWZEU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/5Lqz_oEWZEU</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 03:24:00 pm »
Imdb says it airs on monday. So ill give a few eps a go.

Ive just finished the man in the high castle and im currently watching ash vs the evil dead, but those eps are rather short. So, heres to a new sci fi series :)

Yeah weird, it does say that but then if you click episode 1 it says 23rd November, and it's already out for download but no more episodes have aired since. Oh well, either way it looks like it'll be starting a proper run of the first season soon so I'll have to take a look.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 03:25:30 pm »
Ill have to view these later then.

Have u watched any Trada?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 03:29:21 pm »
Ill have to view these later then.

Have u watched any Trada?

No I will watch it later on as well.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 10:41:32 pm »
In my humble opinion (better edit the text speak or I will get another warning)

Not even in the same league as Battlestar Gallactica.

But judging it on one episode.

just found it a little boring.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:44:23 am by Trada »

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 12:42:25 am »
Same.

Though ill watch a few more

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 01:23:45 am »
Hadn't heard of this either.

Battlestar Galactica was a bloody thoroughbred of a series.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 07:11:34 am »
Looking forward to this, as the synopsis is intriguing. I'll avoid the BSG comparison though. That was the greatest sci-fi series of all time, IMHO.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:33:58 pm by Stevie-A »

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 09:05:18 am »
Hadn't heard of this either.

Battlestar Galactica was a bloody thoroughbred of a series.
it's more on the Farscape sort of level than Battlestar

Offline wheresnemeth

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 04:17:22 pm »
In my humble opinion (better edit the text speak or I will get another warning)

Not even in the same league as Battlestar Gallactica.

But judging it on one episode.

just found it a little boring.

I found the first two episodes a bit boring. Things really get going in the third and fourth episodes. It has a good mix of political intrigue and action.

it's more on the Farscape sort of level than Battlestar

After watching the first four episodes and I think that its different from Farscape, but I think that we will get a better feel of where the series is headed after a few more episodes.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 04:26:11 pm by wheresnemeth »
making a c*nting mess of a list, like c*nts on a bike trying to win the Tour de France...

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 11:24:34 pm »
I don't think it's near the quality of Battlestar Galactica (yet - though few tv sci-fi is) - but it is a decent quality sci-fi show with a lot of potential. Eps 3 and 4 really kick in and looking forward to the next few episodes.

If only the syfy channel did more shows like this, BSG, Dark Matter and Killjoys...
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 12:00:20 am »
3 episodes in, and it's alright.  cliche piled upon cliche with the characters, but there are some nice ideas in there too in among the tons shamelessly lifted from firefly. 

the CGI is dreadful though, like a cheap noughties video game.

the message i'm getting is that i should probably watch BSG...
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 09:03:12 am »
the message i'm getting is that i should probably watch BSG...

You must, sir! An unbearable oversight on your part  ;)

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 12:12:31 am »
Finished episode 3 and it's certainly picking up. It ended quite brutally too

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2016, 04:36:23 pm »
speaking as a non sci-fi fan...I'm rather enjoying this
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 01:03:21 am »
fell asleep during episode 5 and that never happens to me...  it has some good ideas, but so much stuff i can't give a damn about no matter how much they try to push it.  i might go back to it at some point.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
The Expanse - James S A Corey
« Reply #19 on: December 9, 2016, 08:52:53 am »
This is now on netflix. Series 1. For anyone who has read The Expanse series of books. I am not sure if its good for anyone who hasnt. These books are pretty good scifi books from the writers of some star wars stories etc.

From my perspective it appears that series 1 encompasses possibly 50% of book 1.

Also the latest book, book 6 is now out Babylons Ashes.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Expanse - James S A Corey
« Reply #20 on: December 9, 2016, 09:40:48 am »
I watched that series on Syfy.

I never read the books,i look forward to season 2 next year.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #21 on: December 9, 2016, 09:58:29 am »
The books are worth reading, they expand the characters involved and the detail. Highly enjoyable they are.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 09:13:30 am »
fell asleep during episode 5 and that never happens to me...  it has some good ideas, but so much stuff i can't give a damn about no matter how much they try to push it.  i might go back to it at some point.
Ended up really enjoying this series and now can't wait for season two. Hopefully they'll have a bit of a budget upgrade for CGI but if not we can all still suspend disbelief, eh?

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 11:29:26 am »
Ended up really enjoying this series and now can't wait for season two. Hopefully they'll have a bit of a budget upgrade for CGI but if not we can all still suspend disbelief, eh?

Season 2 is scheduled to start on Wednesday 1st February (in the US) mate :D

season 2 trailer a - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOUirEHU0kY
season 2 trailer b - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gj8tRaFIfs
season 2 trailer c - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06EIAuYRRTw
season 2 comicon trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MddpZVI-nY

https://twitter.com/ExpanseSyfy
http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse

I didn't think season 1 was comparable / up there with BSG - but certainly enjoyed it - and has a lot of potential...
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline boots

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 09:22:33 am »
Knocks BG into the weeds. But Ive read the books. The level of storytelling makes BG look like coronation st. Ive just read the latest one. Sure they do not have the budget BG had, but they do have the story and hopefully the budget will come.

Frankly I got tired of BG's incessant stupidity and reliance on personal stories rather than any actual scifi. Because its essentially Jews in Space (quote from the great Spaceballs movie and Mel Brooks) as it tells the same story as the plight of the Jews searching for the promised land. No bad thing as some stories are based on some historical truths for inspiration. However other than the fake humans I see no real scifi. I just see human stories. Which if you like this kind of thing is great. I found BG to be a 6.5/10 but only my opinion. Everyone else will no doubt have loved it as much as I adored the orig series when I was a kid. But then I also adored Buck Rogers...bedebedebede...

I really recommend the books. They flesh out the characters more and the story becomes clearer and deeper. Plus theyre a good yarn with battles and all sorts going on that your mind can flesh out.

BTW please dont pick on my jews in space quote as being remotely anti-semitic. It wasnt intended that way as Mel Brooks is a hero of mine. Its a shame we have to add disclaimers like this but such is the way of this post truth world we find ourselves in.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #25 on: April 5, 2017, 11:41:02 am »
One of my favourite shows at the moment.

Sorry for the play on words but it really is an expansive show with lots of characters but all focussing on the main story arc, rather than little episodes that don't seem to go anywhere.

Spoiler
That said for anyone else watching it, what was with the scenes of the guy who mistakenly created the drive that enabled quicker inter-planetary travel?  I have been watching streams on various sites and maybe I have missed something. Is he still flying off into space? does that strange alien substance find him and return him?
[close]

I started watching this alongside Dark Matter and it pissed all over it.

For me it's the best Sci-Fi since BSG. I felt BSG went on too long and could have been a season or even a season and a half shorter and still had the same impact over the course of the whole series.

Love the grimey, lived in feel of this show and it's quite similar to Billions in that all the characters have flaws and reasons to dislike them but you still do like them, whether good or bad, you can see where they are coming from.

« Last Edit: April 5, 2017, 11:43:43 am by ollick »
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 5, 2017, 02:15:28 pm »
This show is fantastic.

I agree with the above poster about it being the best sci fi show Since BSG.

Love the dynamic with Earth and Mars.

I  should add that i prefer the Martians in this conflict. :D
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 5, 2017, 06:28:41 pm »
Must have missed this one,I loved BSG so I think ill give this a go.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 5, 2017, 07:19:18 pm »
This show is fantastic.

I agree with the above poster about it being the best sci fi show Since BSG.

Love the dynamic with Earth and Mars.

I  should add that i prefer the Martians in this conflict. :D
The politics of it are plausible, and interesting. You can really see that scenario happening if Mars was ever colonised and enough time went by where generations became inherent to that environment. The human race will always find things to fight over, and there will always be slaves, or poorer people taken advantage of (Belters). I just can't figure out why they all have to speak with that quasi Jamaican accent. It even sounds a bit like Asian accent parody at times, and it reminds me of Bob Mortimer's Paul Baron accent from Kinky John's Nightclub.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TutMf0xPczI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TutMf0xPczI</a>

Spoiler
I'm hoping Thomas Jane's character somehow gets brought back into this, because since he's left, I think the quality of it has dipped a little.
[close]

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 5, 2017, 08:19:18 pm »
The show is top, top quality. Enjoying it very much.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: April 5, 2017, 11:38:16 pm »
The politics of it are plausible, and interesting. You can really see that scenario happening if Mars was ever colonised and enough time went by where generations became inherent to that environment. The human race will always find things to fight over, and there will always be slaves, or poorer people taken advantage of (Belters). I just can't figure out why they all have to speak with that quasi Jamaican accent. It even sounds a bit like Asian accent parody at times, and it reminds me of Bob Mortimer's Paul Baron accent from Kinky John's Nightclub.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TutMf0xPczI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TutMf0xPczI</a>

Spoiler
I'm hoping Thomas Jane's character somehow gets brought back into this, because since he's left, I think the quality of it has dipped a little.
[close]

I think it's an attempt at emulating the patois the Belters speak in the books, which I suppose was some sort of attempt at imagining how a futuristic society composed of various disparate human elements might speak, and with what accent. It seems fairly faithful to the books, though I've only read the first two and it was a while ago but I agree, it's irritating. It seemed to work better written down - I think the Belters also had some sort of sign language they used in conjunction with their almost-unintelligible slang, which I don't think has been see  much, if at all, in the TV series.

To be honest though, that's pretty much my only gripe with it. It's definitely one of the shows I'm enjoying most at the minute. Have yet to start on the new season, so am looking forward to it.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 6, 2017, 02:36:08 am »
this has improved a lot in its second season.  the first seemed a bit aimless (but with lots of good ideas thrown in), whereas it now seems to be building towards something.  the main characters are all very cliche sci-fi standards, but the politics is quite interesting (apart from when that irritating woman - aversala? - who can barely talk let alone act, is involved).

personally, i love the belter patois, and it makes sense that they would wind up talking like that (in the same way that people from all over the world dumped in the caribbean developed a common language organically). i'm a bit of a linguistics nerd, so i love examining the words and their etymology (there's a wiki all about it).

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 6, 2017, 07:34:44 am »
It even sounds a bit like Asian accent parody at times, and it reminds me of Bob Mortimer's Paul Baron accent from Kinky John's Nightclub.

That is an amazing throwback. Possibly Vic and Bob's finest hour. Sexy Wendy and her bottle of HP will haunt me for ever.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 6, 2017, 03:58:09 pm »
One of my favourite shows at the moment.

Sorry for the play on words but it really is an expansive show with lots of characters but all focussing on the main story arc, rather than little episodes that don't seem to go anywhere.

Spoiler
That said for anyone else watching it, what was with the scenes of the guy who mistakenly created the drive that enabled quicker inter-planetary travel?  I have been watching streams on various sites and maybe I have missed something. Is he still flying off into space? does that strange alien substance find him and return him?
[close]

I started watching this alongside Dark Matter and it pissed all over it.

For me it's the best Sci-Fi since BSG. I felt BSG went on too long and could have been a season or even a season and a half shorter and still had the same impact over the course of the whole series.

Love the grimey, lived in feel of this show and it's quite similar to Billions in that all the characters have flaws and reasons to dislike them but you still do like them, whether good or bad, you can see where they are coming from.
n regard to your spoiler.

The latest episode around the 9 minute something mark mentions what happened to him.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 6, 2017, 07:34:21 pm »
That is an amazing throwback. Possibly Vic and Bob's finest hour. Sexy Wendy and her bottle of HP will haunt me for ever.

I have serious reservations about your opinion.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 6, 2017, 10:03:14 pm »
I have serious reservations about your opinion.

Take it up with the Hanging Bollocks of Babylon 😊

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #36 on: April 7, 2017, 02:57:33 pm »
n regard to your spoiler.

The latest episode around the 9 minute something mark mentions what happened to him.

Gonna re-watch mate, thanks!
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 09:39:19 pm »
The last couple of episodes, and the finale, were fantastic.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2017, 01:44:09 pm »
I agree 110%.

Brilliant show and now we have to wait a year for season 3. :(

Fascinating how the Martians have the technological superiority over Earth,seems they waste their best scientific minds, money and resources on building an amazing fleet and army instead of Terraforming Mars.

Fascists!!!

**I do prefer The Martians in the conflict though**
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:47:09 pm by RedSince86 »

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2017, 10:13:29 pm »

really strong second season overall.  just watched the finale and it was a bit obvious, but still good stuff.