Author Topic: The Americans. Please use spoiler tags.  (Read 44798 times)

Offline gallden

• bols
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Americans. Please use spoiler tags.
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2013, 04:37:26 am »
;D I ask myself that question at least once every show. I think they just wait until they're asleep and sneak out. Either that or they've got the world's richest babysitter.
they are spies after all sneaking around their kids should be easy. How was tonight's episode?  I'm catching up on SOA.

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2013, 04:55:30 am »
they are spies after all sneaking around their kids should be easy. How was tonight's episode?  I'm catching up on SOA.

I'm on the West Coast, so show doesn't start for another hour. Penultimate episode of the season I believe, so my expectations are sky high.
Justice For The 96

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2013, 04:52:18 pm »
Man, big episode.

Spoiler
Bug discovered in Weinberger's library, Clark marrying Martha, Nina going triple agent. Brilliantly set up for next week. Highlight was, of course, Elizabeth and Granny in their ridiculous get-ups discussing spy stuff before pretending to be Clark's sister and mum.
[close]

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 06:28:11 am »
Man, big episode.

Spoiler
Bug discovered in Weinberger's library, Clark marrying Martha, Nina going triple agent. Brilliantly set up for next week. Highlight was, of course, Elizabeth and Granny in their ridiculous get-ups discussing spy stuff before pretending to be Clark's sister and mum.
[close]

Spoiler
i agree with that highlight, as well as the wonderful line "i see you enjoy playing games".  the absurdity of the situations in those undercover moments is really nicely played. 

the episode itself was excellent.  so much happened but it didn't seem convoluted or plot heavy at any point, and the potential for fireworks in the finale is tantalising.

and whadyaknow, a show we agree on :)
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2013, 11:07:45 am »
Is it me or they counterbalance each side's advantages almost right away?
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 2, 2013, 02:24:05 pm »
So, thoughts on the season finale:

Spoiler
Thoroughly enjoyable episode, but I must admit I was expecting something bigger to happen. Didn't really feel like a season finale to me.

Apparently Margo Martindale has another show that may be picked up for next season, which means she might not be around next year. That's a blow. She's been superb here, no more so than in that scene where she murdered the American agent.

Thought they were going to end with Paige finding her mum's secret stash, but it's probably too early to go to that well. Her belief that Elizabeth is hiding something is enough for now.

Interesting to see Arkady mention that they want to turn Stan. Hadn't struck me before, but the possibility of Philip and Elizabeth being Stan's handlers has a lot of potential. He's getting closer to the truth, so it wouldn't surprise me if he figures out who the couple are by the end of next season.
[close]

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #46 on: May 2, 2013, 06:26:38 pm »
I was just going to quote Barefoot Doctor's post,I forgot  it show's the spoiler too. ;D

I'm glad this is finished, now I can dl the whole series.And.there it is on IPTorrents on freeleech.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #47 on: May 2, 2013, 06:37:06 pm »
Ep:12 ended somewhat shit, for the want of a better word.

Nina just waltzes in and delivers that revelation, without a moments thought and still with jiz running down her leg!

Love the series but(and I hate saying this) it's starting to get a bit hit and miss. I hope the finale ends well and the writers go away and sharpen their acts as well as their pencils.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 4, 2013, 05:57:39 am »
excellent finale.

Spoiler
tied up a lot of loose ends while leaving some dangling, and it was a proper pause point thematically for everything that had built up so far.  so much to praise in that episode, with the slit throat scene the particular highlight.

for a change, the script did hit a few bum notes.  that whole scene where an adolescent girl runs to her younger brother because she's had a nightmare was very poorly done.  and surely if the feds are looking for a couple and you want to make a good escape you do it in two different cars rather than the same one?

still, a fitting conclusion to a relentless, thoughtful and consistently smart series.  can't wait for the next season.

[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 4, 2013, 12:52:49 pm »
had it's flaws but it was an enjoyable watch

claudia reminded me of

PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 4, 2013, 01:15:33 pm »
Really love the show. Hope the second season is good as well.

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 5, 2013, 07:40:11 am »
So, thoughts on the season finale:

Spoiler
Thoroughly enjoyable episode, but I must admit I was expecting something bigger to happen. Didn't really feel like a season finale to me.

Apparently Margo Martindale has another show that may be picked up for next season, which means she might not be around next year. That's a blow. She's been superb here, no more so than in that scene where she murdered the American agent.

Thought they were going to end with Paige finding her mum's secret stash, but it's probably too early to go to that well. Her belief that Elizabeth is hiding something is enough for now.

Interesting to see Arkady mention that they want to turn Stan. Hadn't struck me before, but the possibility of Philip and Elizabeth being Stan's handlers has a lot of potential. He's getting closer to the truth, so it wouldn't surprise me if he figures out who the couple are by the end of next season.
[close]

Just finished the first series - watched the last 5 in a row - and enjoyed it all. Agree with everything you wrote there  about the finale and would add:

Spoiler
With the feds having that scientist bloke, that's three people who can identify / have identified Elizabeth, so its going to be interesting how that takes off at the start of the next series.

I agree that Stan seems to be on the rocks and it'll be interesting to see how Nina tries to turn him. I also wonder at what point Philip's new wife will find out about him.
[close]
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #52 on: May 5, 2013, 04:34:37 pm »
Anyone know when this will be on tv in the UK?
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 4, 2013, 12:13:29 am »
just watched the firt episode now on itv player. Awesome, can tell I'm going to like this. Does anyone know what time each episode is aired on ITV btw?
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #54 on: June 4, 2013, 08:43:19 pm »
I'm guessing 10pm as that's when it was on this Sat. Just finished the 9th episode myself...love shit like this!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: June 6, 2013, 09:16:36 pm »
Wow I saw this on ITV the other day and I loved it. 

So went online and saw the rest of the series and yep this is one of those shows that I'm going to love.  The spying on all that is great but what's I find more interesting is the marriage between the two main characters. That's one complex shit right there.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2014, 10:25:51 pm »
Best show on tv is back! Season 2 starts up on Wednesday, the 26th. Just bought Season 1 on Blu-Ray and will be watching it back in the lead up to Wednesday. Can't wait!

I highly recommend this show to anyone looking for something new. Season 1 is streaming on Amazon Instant Video btw. If you've got Amazon Prime that means you can watch it for free.
Justice For The 96

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2014, 10:44:16 pm »
Loved the first season. Can't wait.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2014, 10:46:53 pm »
glad to see this is back.  really enjoyed the first season.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2014, 10:50:10 pm »
Thanks for the bump Vork reminded me season 2 starts pretty soon.

This is a great show one of my favourites and the good thing is unlike other American shows this is only 13 episodes a season.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 11:07:00 pm »
This is a great show one of my favourites and the good thing is unlike other American shows this is only 13 episodes a season.

huh?  just about every quality american drama is 13 episodes a season (other than GOT).  or am i being whooshed :P

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 11:14:50 pm »
huh?  just about every quality american drama is 13 episodes a season (other than GOT).  or am i being whooshed :P

No mate no whoosh. Don't most American shows have like 20+ episode seasons?

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 11:18:29 pm »
comedies on network TV do, i guess.  and i suppose network stuff like lost and heroes back in the day.

but all the quality cable dramas (sopranos, deadwood, breaking bad, mad men, orange is the new black, the americans, justified etc) are 12 or 13 episodes a season, while GOT is 10.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2014, 12:04:10 am »
No mate no whoosh. Don't most American shows have like 20+ episode seasons?

Like sideshow said, network shows (the big 4 of CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox) traditionally run a season around 22 episodes, but even they are starting to get away from this. Fox, for instance, has The Following and 24 which are limited run. Shows on cable and premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax) are usually around 12 episodes. There's nothing written in stone, though.
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2014, 02:59:16 am »
HBO is the weird one.  you get the sopranos which was consistently 13 (until the last season where it jumps to 21), but then the wire/deadwood at 12, GOT at 10 and now true detective at 8.  other US cable channel shows i've watched from AMC (breaking bad, mad men, walking dead), FX (the americans, justified) and showtime (homeland) tend to be a consistent 13.

so yeah, nothing's written in stone :) but 13 seems to be the standard which is also creeping into british drama now too.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:01:09 am by sideshowme »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2014, 12:06:50 pm »
Great news that the series is starting again. Loved season 1 and good performances by both protagonists.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2014, 06:41:24 pm »
Watched the first 8 episodes over the weekend and will knock out the final 5 over the next couple days. It's so good. The pilot is absolutely perfect. Forgot how incredible that episode was. Noah Emmerich is fantastic. He and Matthew Rhys should win the awards, all of them.
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2014, 06:49:23 pm »
never has a show been so out of place on ITV.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2014, 07:13:59 pm »
When is the second series starting on ITV?

Offline Jehst1979

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2014, 07:25:55 pm »
When does it air in America?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2014, 09:08:44 pm »
When does it air in America?

Wednesday @ 10pm on FX.
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2014, 09:28:18 am »
Aside from the quality of this series has anyone missed Phillip's disguises?  ;D

I certainly have.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2014, 05:31:33 pm »
Aside from the quality of this series has anyone missed Phillip's disguises?  ;D

I certainly have.

Absolutely. Who doesn't miss Clark?
Justice For The 96

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2014, 07:49:55 pm »
Fuck me, what an opener.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2014, 07:54:36 pm »
Yeah great start to season 2.  That kid of Philip and Elizabeth get the feeling she'll confront them by the end of this season. 

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2014, 08:14:54 pm »
Yeah, that was brilliant. This and Parks & Rec are easily my two favorite shows on television atm.

Spoiler
I thought the opening when Phillip's wig got pulled off was pretty funny. I think that was a little wink to all the folks who wondered how they never encountered any wig-related issues. I was also glad to see that Margo Martindale (Claudia/Granny) will be in some episodes this year. I thought she was great last year, but now she's on that awful CBS sitcom and I was worried we wouldn't see her.
[close]

Also, welcome back to my life, Annet Mahendru!
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: March 2, 2014, 03:02:21 am »
a good start to the new season. 

Spoiler
lots of questions already, and that scene with the two families at the fairground was really sad... they can't even say hello to their friends' kids.   the 69 scene, on the other hand :lmao
[close]

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: March 7, 2014, 02:27:06 am »
I love this show. Another brilliant episode.
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #78 on: March 7, 2014, 10:34:11 am »
Yup. Maybe I'm just a sucker for spy/ cold war stuff but I'm sure is more than that. Two excellent lead actors that convince you with their acting and you give a fuck about them and more than good plot that evolves smartly.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #79 on: March 7, 2014, 11:14:06 am »
When is it coming to freeview?