Author Topic: The Americans. Please use spoiler tags.  (Read 44813 times)

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
Re: The Americans. Please use spoiler tags.
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2014, 08:23:00 pm »
Spoiler
agreed, but they're all engrossing in their way (apart from stan's home life, which is dull). i'm struggling to see where all the storylines will intersect though.

it occurred to me how great it is that even though philip/elizabeth and nina are on the same side, they never actually meet or even interact. the only things they have in common are 'the center', which doesn't really care about any of them, and the FBI (specifically stan), who cares about all three of them.  twisted, but great.
[close]

Spoiler
That's a great point. Although, from the preview of the finale it looks like we'll have out first instance of Directorate S agent(s) meeting with someone from the Rezidentura. I also enjoyed Henry's thoughts on The Wrath of Khan.
[close]
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2014, 03:43:57 am »
thoughts on the season finale:

Spoiler
wow.  just wow.  one of the best season finales i've ever seen in anything.  it did everything a finale is meant to do: tied up the plot strands, a shocking twist/revelation, and a raising of the stakes that potentially changes everything.  not only that, it had the courage to remain as bleak as it really had to be.  no love saving the day, no happy endings, just everything getting that bit shitter for all involved.  that long 3-minute stretch without dialogue was beautiful in its bleakness.

a really masterful piece of TV to finish a strong second season, and i think i agree with vork now that this is one of the best things on TV.  this, GOT and the resurgence of mad men have made the past few weeks a veritable TV feast.

as an aside, did the scene where they were all sitting at the picnic tables and henry was flying the kite make anyone else think of terminator 2?  no fate but what we make and all that?  the visual similarity (from memory) was so striking that i instantly wondered if it was deliberate (as the idea of predestined lives has been very strong this season, and looks to be an even stronger running theme in the coming season).

anyway, top quality TV.
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2014, 11:01:49 am »
Decisions, decisions. Excellent episode that potentially is a game changer for the series' whole plot and value.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2014, 06:40:15 am »
Holy shit what an episode! That thing went to 11. I can't even contain all my thoughts in a coherent post, but I'll try.

Spoiler
I can't believe I didn't see this direction coming. I've commented multiple times about the role the kids have played in their spy games this season, but this turn never even occurred to me. That's how artfully it was executed. Just brilliant writing all season long. And what a twist with Jared! That thing knocked me upside the head...I still can't believe it. But for me, the highlight of the episode was Noah Emmerich's performance. So many fucking layers. I love that they took their storyline in that direction. I really thought he was going to tail her car and bust her out at the end there, but he was just so resigned to his fate. Beautiful.
[close]

Fuck me, I can't wait 9 months for next season! At least The Bridge is back in about a month.

thoughts on the season finale:

Spoiler
wow.  just wow.  one of the best season finales i've ever seen in anything.  it did everything a finale is meant to do: tied up the plot strands, a shocking twist/revelation, and a raising of the stakes that potentially changes everything.  not only that, it had the courage to remain as bleak as it really had to be.  no love saving the day, no happy endings, just everything getting that bit shitter for all involved.  that long 3-minute stretch without dialogue was beautiful in its bleakness.

a really masterful piece of TV to finish a strong second season, and i think i agree with vork now that this is one of the best things on TV.  this, GOT and the resurgence of mad men have made the past few weeks a veritable TV feast.

as an aside, did the scene where they were all sitting at the picnic tables and henry was flying the kite make anyone else think of terminator 2?  no fate but what we make and all that?  the visual similarity (from memory) was so striking that i instantly wondered if it was deliberate (as the idea of predestined lives has been very strong this season, and looks to be an even stronger running theme in the coming season).

anyway, top quality TV.
[close]

Yes! I knew we would eventually agree on something!
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2014, 03:40:15 pm »
Holy shit what an episode! That thing went to 11. I can't even contain all my thoughts in a coherent post, but I'll try.

Spoiler
I can't believe I didn't see this direction coming. I've commented multiple times about the role the kids have played in their spy games this season, but this turn never even occurred to me. That's how artfully it was executed. Just brilliant writing all season long. And what a twist with Jared! That thing knocked me upside the head...I still can't believe it. But for me, the highlight of the episode was Noah Emmerich's performance. So many fucking layers. I love that they took their storyline in that direction. I really thought he was going to tail her car and bust her out at the end there, but he was just so resigned to his fate. Beautiful.
[close]

Fuck me, I can't wait 9 months for next season! At least The Bridge is back in about a month.

Yes! I knew we would eventually agree on something!

:D

Spoiler
the best thing about both 'twists' is that they've been woven through every episode in the season; the kid who survived, and paige's growing militancy.  if you go back now, all that headstrongness is meaningful, and the slight creepiness of jared (and his constant asking after kate) suddenly makes sense.  also, one thing that didn't quite ring true for me was how readily jared accepted the truth about his parents... now it makes sense.  and what would probably have been the finale in most other shows (the face-off with larrick) was a relatively minor part of events.

looking back on it a couple of days later, i would have preferred it if jared's death scene didn't last quite so long... if he'd said something about loving kate and knowing the truth about her and the rest.  the prolonged exposition in that death scene got a bit silly after a while, especially as most of it could have been cleared up in the scene with the handler later on.  minor quibble though.  it's still a great finale.

any thoughts on the T2 reference?
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2014, 04:12:21 pm »
:D

Spoiler
the best thing about both 'twists' is that they've been woven through every episode in the season; the kid who survived, and paige's growing militancy.  if you go back now, all that headstrongness is meaningful, and the slight creepiness of jared (and his constant asking after kate) suddenly makes sense.  also, one thing that didn't quite ring true for me was how readily jared accepted the truth about his parents... now it makes sense.  and what would probably have been the finale in most other shows (the face-off with larrick) was a relatively minor part of events.

looking back on it a couple of days later, i would have preferred it if jared's death scene didn't last quite so long... if he'd said something about loving kate and knowing the truth about her and the rest.  the prolonged exposition in that death scene got a bit silly after a while, especially as most of it could have been cleared up in the scene with the handler later on.  minor quibble though.  it's still a great finale.

any thoughts on the T2 reference?
[close]

Spoiler
Excellent point. Everything felt natural and earned which I think made it all the more surprising. You're completely right about Jared and his acceptance of what should have been a groundbreaking revelation, but he took it in relative stride. Now it's clear why. I think his relationship with Kate was a really important angle to play. I can just imagine myself as an 18-year-old awkward looking kid (I say "imagine" but I mean "remember") and I'd probably betray my country too if a sexy older woman seduced me into doing so. Doubt it'd even be that hard. So again I think that turn was earned and made perfect sense. I get your quibble with his death, but to be honest I was so engrossed by the scene and the information he was revealing that I couldn't tell you if it lasted 30 seconds or 3 hours. I was totally transfixed.

Poor Nina, btw. I haven't read anything about Annet Mahendru and Season 3, so I don't know if that's the last we'll be seeing of her, but I hope it's not. Hell, at this point FX could run a spin-off based in the Soviet Union about all the characters who have been repatriated. They could call it "The Ex-Americans." I'd watch.

As for the T2 reference, it didn't occur to me, but I would bet that has more to do with the fact that I haven't watched that movie in over 10 years. I'll have to go back and do so.
[close]
Justice For The 96

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2014, 03:32:37 pm »
Fantastic show,9 months time cannot come quick enough.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2015, 06:34:23 pm »
Back tonight!!!
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #128 on: January 30, 2015, 11:43:43 am »
Nice addition of Frank Langella in the cast but IMDB lists him as a single appearance and not in the next ones. That's a shame if true.

Spoiler
Had a really strong scene with Yousaf strangling Anneliese and Phillip devastated and looking to capitalize on that at the same time. Also keeping that short scene where Paige takes over the control of the TV remote and sees the news about the death of Brezhnev and immediately changes the channel showing she doesn't care. A glimpse of what's coming if and when the parents approach her about the truth and possibly recruiting her? Phillip, you can see is still not keen at all with that whereas Elizabeth seems more so.
[close]

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 30, 2015, 12:03:23 pm »
Nice addition of Frank Langella in the cast but IMDB lists him as a single appearance and not in the next ones. That's a shame if true.

Spoiler
Had a really strong scene with Yousaf strangling Anneliese and Phillip devastated and looking to capitalize on that at the same time. Also keeping that short scene where Paige takes over the control of the TV remote and sees the news about the death of Brezhnev and immediately changes the channel showing she doesn't care. A glimpse of what's coming if and when the parents approach her about the truth and possibly recruiting her? Phillip, you can see is still not keen at all with that whereas Elizabeth seems more so.
[close]

It's definitely a recurring role for Langella...

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #130 on: January 30, 2015, 12:07:11 pm »
Is this back on in the UK or just the US?
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 30, 2015, 01:06:36 pm »
Just the US. ITV won't be showing the third season, no idea if it's been picked up by another channel.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #132 on: January 30, 2015, 01:13:07 pm »
Just the US. ITV won't be showing the third season, no idea if it's been picked up by another channel.
Seriously? FFS.
Didn't FX have it first here? Maybe they will pick it up again?
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2015, 10:02:10 pm »
back into its stride seamlessly.

the camerawork in basic cable shows to avoid nudity always makes me laugh :lmao

such a great show though.  too much quality TV to keep track of at the moment and its only going to get more hectic!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 2, 2015, 06:09:45 pm »
Yeah, this show is unbelievable. Really don't think anything else currently on tv comes close to it. Great opening episode.

By the way, Margo Martindale's shitty CBS sitcom was cancelled, so hopefully she can return full-time.
Justice For The 96

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: February 2, 2015, 08:57:17 pm »
Yeah, this show is unbelievable. Really don't think anything else currently on tv comes close to it. Great opening episode.

By the way, Margo Martindale's shitty CBS sitcom was cancelled, so hopefully she can return full-time.
She is a fantastic character in the show,love the scenes with her as her character brings alot of tension and distrust on screen,never sure if she is doing it for the cause or personal ambition.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 2, 2015, 09:37:40 pm »
She is a fantastic character in the show,love the scenes with her as her character brings alot of tension and distrust on screen,never sure if she is doing it for the cause or personal ambition.

Amen. Her scenes with Elizabeth in Season 1 are still some of the best the show has produced. It'll be interesting to see how this new handler works Elizabeth and Phillip. He's obviously the complete opposite of Claudia, a fatherly figure to both, but I suspect that only means his machinations will be more manipulative, playing off those relationships.
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: February 8, 2015, 09:37:47 pm »
quality as ever.

Spoiler
the body disposal scene... cracking scene that (sorry). 

seriously, though, it was thoroughly horrific.  i makes me shudder to think about it even the next day.

also, the centre is changing up its strategy (as with paige), so i would guess that that "defector" is an ultra-secret spy sent right to the heart of the FBI, right?

the music seems to have been toned down a bit in this series, right?  not that i'm complaining about the lack of 1980s 'classics', but still...
[close]

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2015, 10:54:24 am »
Spoiler
Their aim was the dude with the open house but now they saw whose daughter is that girl, they may try and use her. Was a welcome surprise for them.

PS 1: "People love hearing how right they are" and the scene where Beeman watches Zinaida on TV. She has been found out, hasn't she?

PS 2: Mrs Beeman's photo is wank material
[close]

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2015, 01:43:52 am »
Nevermind Sandra, elizabeth becomes more attractive by the episode. Also, I must have not been paying attention at some point...

Spoiler
Jared murdered
His family?
[close]
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2015, 03:12:15 am »
excellent stuff.  just gets better and better.

Spoiler
so it's now pretty obvious that the defector is a spy... unless it's a double bluff, which is quite likely given how heavily it was signposted in this episode (still managed to miss it first time though...)

i loved the old school spy tech scene, and the bittersweet symphony/people watching sequence.

the most beguiling scene though was the tooth extraction... the direction was smart: dental work shot as soft porn.  bizarre but surprisingly effective.

still not sure where everything's heading, but it's looking to be a good season again.

one thing that puzzled me a bit... why were the CIA on their tail after the open house?  a few couples attended, so why were they the only ones chosen for attention?
[close]

Nevermind Sandra, elizabeth becomes more attractive by the episode. Also, I must have not been paying attention at some point...

Spoiler
Jared murdered
His family?
[close]

Spoiler
yeah, it was the whole mystery of last season.  did you miss the finale or something?
[close]
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:14:18 am by sideshowme »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2015, 09:00:07 am »
I saw the finale, I must have not been paying attention. An excuse to watch it again, which is no bad thing.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2015, 10:32:17 pm »
Spoiler
The tooth scene!!! How fucking brilliant was that?!
[close]
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2015, 09:22:55 am »
The close ups.

Offline Messiah

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #144 on: February 18, 2015, 06:59:39 pm »
Any episode with Keri Russell naked is a 10/10 for me.
Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2015, 10:07:30 am »
An open letter to Paige

Spoiler
Give over the church- Jesus Christ stuff.
[close]

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2015, 04:20:04 am »
i suppose it was inevitable that philip would dress up like jimmy savile for this particular assignment.

Spoiler
another strong episode even though not a lot of stuff happened.  i actually really like the subversion of cliches in the daughter of immoral/amoral violent people rebelling by choosing a different path, even though she doesn't know that that's what she's rebelling against.  or maybe she does and she really does know "who she is".  all very subtle stuff.

poor nina - put away for spying on behalf of the spies she was meant to be spying on, and now forced to spy again.

that pastor is very punchable though.  that's not a comment on his faith, just his general oiliness.

also, keri russell (rightly) gets a lot of praise, but matthew rhys is just incredibly good in his role(s).
[close]

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2015, 08:42:40 am »
Pastor is snide.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2015, 08:49:16 am »
Needs more Nina...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2015, 05:38:40 am »
i suppose it was inevitable that philip would dress up like jimmy savile for this particular assignment.

Spoiler
another strong episode even though not a lot of stuff happened.  i actually really like the subversion of cliches in the daughter of immoral/amoral violent people rebelling by choosing a different path, even though she doesn't know that that's what she's rebelling against.  or maybe she does and she really does know "who she is".  all very subtle stuff.

poor nina - put away for spying on behalf of the spies she was meant to be spying on, and now forced to spy again.

that pastor is very punchable though.  that's not a comment on his faith, just his general oiliness.

also, keri russell (rightly) gets a lot of praise, but matthew rhys is just incredibly good in his role(s).
[close]

Rhys and Russell are both just so fucking good (as is Noah Emmerich). I was glad to see them get back to their excellent use of music in last week's episode. When they do it they're better than just about any show I can recall, but I felt like that receded a bit last year. As for the plot, the Paige storyline is just beautifully gripping. Brilliant choice by the writers. To nobody's surprise I'm sure, I'm loving this season.
Justice For The 96

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: March 2, 2015, 07:34:24 pm »
excellent episode but...

Spoiler
...who knew wayne rooney was in training to be a soviet spy?
[close]

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2015, 01:41:25 am »
I don't even know what to say about this show any more. It's just so easily the best thing out there and it continues to get better. I'm blown away.
Justice For The 96

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2015, 08:03:32 pm »
I don't even know what to say about this show any more. It's just so easily the best thing out there and it continues to get better. I'm blown away.

This show has really grown on me. It carried some demerits for me going in because this is Felicity (who made FUCKING STUPID romantic decisions involving Ben, the very worst character EVER!!!!!) (lol) and the worst one of the "Brothers and Sisters" (horrible show). I still think the disguises on here are very laughable (the most recent episode especially) ...

BUT

It is quality TV, a great premise that they have taken in great directions. They could have played it lazy and made it really boring - which I fully expected when I heard about the show at first - but they work the nuances expertly. I wonder what younger people who didn't live through the Cold War feel when they see something like this? The constant dread I felt waiting for the ominous "We now interrupt your regular programming for a special report from NBC News" ... you feel that presence in the show, it reminds me of it, and it lends a lot of depth to everything. My favorite thing though:

Spoiler
I love the fact that they gave him a son in Afghanistan with the Soviet forces. There have been so many hamfisted attempts to shoehorn current events, especially with regard to the Middle East, into shows recently. This is a brilliant take on it - it is such an incredibly layered element, but what I appreciate most is that they are not banging us over the head with the facile "irony" of America's former support for the Mujahideen - they put the characters in there and let it play out. Other shows wouldn't have the same self control.
[close]
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Rip

• Boys Pen
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2015, 07:29:44 pm »
Rhys and Russell are both just so fucking good (as is Noah Emmerich). I was glad to see them get back to their excellent use of music in last week's episode. When they do it they're better than just about any show I can recall, but I felt like that receded a bit last year. As for the plot, the Paige storyline is just beautifully gripping. Brilliant choice by the writers. To nobody's surprise I'm sure, I'm loving this season.

Emmerich directed the most recent episode (#7, "Walter Taffet"). Nice usage of Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain," which hearkened back to "Tusk" in the pilot.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2015, 07:35:32 pm »
I'm loving it. I binged seasons 1 and 2 and am now watching three as it happens. Rhys is excellent at protraying his uncomfortablness with his young target. Martha was really good at showing her fear in the latest episode. I'm not sure how much longer she is going to survive.

All the actors are great though, and they do a great job of making the russians the "good guys" with the west as the villains, mainly down to Kerry Russell, who gets better with each episode. I agree with Stan, though, the new guy at his place is really fucking annoying.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2015, 04:45:27 pm »
Emmerich directed the most recent episode (#7, "Walter Taffet"). Nice usage of Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain," which hearkened back to "Tusk" in the pilot.

Yes, that might have been their best use of music since Games Without Frontiers in the Season 1 finale. Loved it. And can we talk about the interrogation scenes from last week's episode? Holy shit! Up there with the tooth scene.

I love the way this show interconnects major social issues of the times to the Cold War. I assume much of that comes from Joe Weisberg's experience as a former CIA officer. I can't imagine someone without his experience crafting such a layered tapestry.

By the way, my favourite scenes are easily the Phillip-Stan buddy scenes. There's so much going on in them with absolutely nothing happening. They're amazing.
Justice For The 96

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2015, 05:04:59 pm »
Just found this interview with Noah Emmerich about his directorial debut. Pretty interesting stuff. Touches on the music of the episode:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/the-americans-co-star-noah-emmerich-on-directing-his-first-episode/1
Justice For The 96

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2015, 11:52:41 pm »
Just watched the pilot yesterday. Quite liked it, but not sure what I'm in for.

Where do regular viewers put it amongst the drama pantheon so far, noting it's only been a couple of seasons?

The pantheon being for me:

First tier: The Wire, The Sopranos
Second tier: Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2015, 12:07:17 am »
Just watched the pilot yesterday. Quite liked it, but not sure what I'm in for.

Where do regular viewers put it amongst the drama pantheon so far, noting it's only been a couple of seasons?

The pantheon being for me:

First tier: The Wire, The Sopranos
Second tier: Breaking Bad, Six Feet Under, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire
Well, our hierarchy is a bit different as far as American shows are concerned.  At the moment I'd place it solidly in the second tier, along side shows such as The Shield, Friday Night Lights, Battlestar Galactica, Dexter and Justified.  Behind shows such as Six Feet Under, The Wire, Deadwood and Breaking Bad.

The Americans is very good and potentially could join the upper echelon, its on the verge of being great.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2015, 12:13:35 am »
Well, our hierarchy is a bit different as far as American shows are concerned.  At the moment I'd place it solidly in the second tier, along side shows such as The Shield, Friday Night Lights, Battlestar Galactica, Dexter and Justified.  Behind shows such as Six Feet Under, The Wire, Deadwood and Breaking Bad.

The Americans is very good and potentially could join the upper echelon, its on the verge of being great.

I think our hiearchy probably differs because I haven't watched as many shows as you, mate. In fact, I've seen about 3 episodes of your tier 2 shows ;D

Sounds promising anyway. Except for Six Feet Under, which I think peaked in season 2, most of the top drama series seem to take a couple of seasons to really find their top form.