Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 173074 times)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #840 on: April 29, 2019, 08:49:12 pm »
Good stuff, its great when you get it sorted makes such a difference.

Just 16,462 things to do now :thumbup

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #841 on: April 29, 2019, 09:27:03 pm »
Just 16,462 things to do now :thumbup

And the other things that pop up in the meantine.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #842 on: April 29, 2019, 11:25:13 pm »
And the other things that pop up in the meantine.

Too right. Was a big trough... 500 x 60 x 60 cm. Should have cemented in the posts as it's already started to lean a bit. One day I'll be savvy enough to put up a picture. Used Shoe-Sugi Ban method (ancient Japanese method of preserving wood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvhvR8KwWhw) on decking rescued from a skip. Will be no help at all but was fun anyway. Didn't calculate the costs involved with filling it with mud. Jesus!

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #843 on: May 5, 2019, 05:51:47 pm »
Oh yeah - forgot to say I’d finished the first patio...

"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #844 on: May 6, 2019, 04:28:17 pm »
Looking good, do you get the sun here?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #845 on: May 6, 2019, 05:28:50 pm »
Aye - it’s a nice nook :)

Cheers!
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #846 on: May 6, 2019, 05:32:12 pm »
Looks peachy that mate [emoji106]

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #847 on: May 6, 2019, 08:43:02 pm »
I'm after guidance on compost.

I'm a novice at this composting lark but have now got a compost bin and have a few questions:

Does it matter if I site it in sun or shade?
Should I avoid putting it under a tree?

Apart from some grass cuttings and soft pruning bits, most of what goes in will be veg trimmings/peelings from the kitchen. Is there anything I shouldn't put in?
It'll mostly be broccoli/cauli stalks; potato & carrot perlings; cabbage/leek/sprout outer leaves; etc)

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #848 on: May 6, 2019, 10:28:42 pm »
Do Compost:

Fruit scraps
Vegetable scraps
Coffee grounds
Eggshells
Grass and plant clippings
Dry leaves
Finely chopped wood and bark chips
Shredded newspaper
Straw
Sawdust from untreated wood

Do not Compost:

Anything containing meat, oil, fat, or grease
Diseased plant materials
Sawdust or chips from pressure-treated wood
Dog or cat feces
Weeds that go to seed
Dairy products

To make your own hot-compost heap, wait until you have enough materials to make a pile at least 3 feet deep. You are going to want to combine your wet, green items with your dry, brown items. Start building your organic compost pile, alternating brown and green items. If your compost pile looks too wet and smells, add more brown items. If you see it looks extremely brown and dry, add green items and water to make it slightly moist.

Sprinkle water over the pile regularly so it has the consistency of a damp sponge. Don't add too much water, otherwise your pile will become waterlogged and drown.

Stir it up once a week.

On your other question,

You can put your compost pile in the sun or in the shade, but putting it in the sun will speed up the composting process. Sun helps increase the temperature, so the bacteria and fungi work faster. This also means that your pile will dry out faster, especially in warm southern climates. So for me a 50/50 mix of Sun and Shade.

Hope this helps.  :wave
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #849 on: May 6, 2019, 11:42:12 pm »
After a tiny bit of help. Ive two small lawns that I want to get right. There was moss throughout them and I sprayed them with moss killer and raked it out after it died off. I'm left with some slightly patchy areas where the moss used to be. How can I get the grass to fill in there?? Will it happen as it grows? Might be a stupid question.

Also, how hard is it to get them consistently green throughout? Always some parts are greener than others. Is due to lack of water? Should I be watering them? I live in Ireland and I might be locked up if I'm seen watering my lawn.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: May 7, 2019, 08:34:01 am »
Its hard work to keep them green. That is why golf clubs employ 'green keepers'. You'll need to do a lot of mowing/weeding/watering/airing, maybe even fertiliser.

Sarge can answer the Ireland question, but I think he's in School. :P
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #851 on: May 8, 2019, 07:12:59 pm »
After a tiny bit of help. Ive two small lawns that I want to get right. There was moss throughout them and I sprayed them with moss killer and raked it out after it died off. I'm left with some slightly patchy areas where the moss used to be. How can I get the grass to fill in there?? Will it happen as it grows? Might be a stupid question.

Also, how hard is it to get them consistently green throughout? Always some parts are greener than others. Is due to lack of water? Should I be watering them? I live in Ireland and I might be locked up if I'm seen watering my lawn.

No what you have done is correct, let the lawn breath for a bit, if the patches are large then you will have to lay seed, problem is you'll need to know what seed went down beofre, or dig at the grass up and re seed.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #852 on: May 8, 2019, 07:17:54 pm »
Its hard work to keep them green. That is why golf clubs employ 'green keepers'. You'll need to do a lot of mowing/weeding/watering/airing, maybe even fertiliser.

Sarge can answer the Ireland question, but I think he's in School. :P

Plus they use different grades of grass seed,

Perenial Rye is what is on football itches, bend is on the Greens and Fescue is in the missle of them both. In relation to fertiliser it can burn grass especially young seedlings, its better when the gras has matured.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #853 on: May 8, 2019, 08:36:45 pm »
Do Compost:

Fruit scraps
Vegetable scraps
Coffee grounds
Eggshells
Grass and plant clippings
Dry leaves
Finely chopped wood and bark chips
Shredded newspaper
Straw
Sawdust from untreated wood

Do not Compost:

Anything containing meat, oil, fat, or grease
Diseased plant materials
Sawdust or chips from pressure-treated wood
Dog or cat feces
Weeds that go to seed
Dairy products

To make your own hot-compost heap, wait until you have enough materials to make a pile at least 3 feet deep. You are going to want to combine your wet, green items with your dry, brown items. Start building your organic compost pile, alternating brown and green items. If your compost pile looks too wet and smells, add more brown items. If you see it looks extremely brown and dry, add green items and water to make it slightly moist.

Sprinkle water over the pile regularly so it has the consistency of a damp sponge. Don't add too much water, otherwise your pile will become waterlogged and drown.

Stir it up once a week.

On your other question,

You can put your compost pile in the sun or in the shade, but putting it in the sun will speed up the composting process. Sun helps increase the temperature, so the bacteria and fungi work faster. This also means that your pile will dry out faster, especially in warm southern climates. So for me a 50/50 mix of Sun and Shade.

Hope this helps.  :wave

Thanks, Sarge. Great tips. Do I need to chop up chunky veg stalks?
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: May 8, 2019, 10:31:50 pm »
Don't forget ash from bonfires, woodburners or chimineers.

And no mate, no need to chop anything.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #855 on: May 8, 2019, 10:39:24 pm »

Really depends on the size of the heap.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: May 10, 2019, 06:52:24 pm »
Any idea what these are?

(Whoops - 2nd go below.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 04:56:49 am by royhendo »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: May 11, 2019, 12:05:21 am »

Any idea what these are?

I tried mate but that link is busted

« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:06:55 am by John C »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: May 11, 2019, 02:33:37 am »
Drives me nuts trying to get my family to compost properly.

What I don't put in...

anything that touches oil or has been cooked.
citrus fruits
potatoes
potato skins.

My brother composts fish and meat and god love him for it. There's alot going on for him there... but for me... nothing that has been cooked in oil. Steamed? Fine. Fried etc no.

I'm virtually obsessed with it so feel free to ask questions!

Important to add dry stuff into it... loo rolls always go in... plain corrugated cardboard too. Egg boxes... rip off the labelling. It needs air and dryness... dont fill it with grass cuttings. Grass cuttings are useless.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: May 11, 2019, 02:55:21 am »

Feed the worms. Let them have joy.

Composting is fascinating to me. I'll come clean. I love it. One day I'll master it. I have two daleks.. one I use... one i pretend to... but I will. The one I use I kind of worship... the other one I want to use differently... for plants or something and not veg. Fill the other with weed toppings etc...you can't compost nettle roots! Ever! But I want a subs bench. In time I'll do that.

But your main compost bin has to be controlled. Shredding wood is good if you can. You need to strike a balance between dry and wet. All cardboard goes in mine. egg boxes always etc. dont crush them either... good compost needs air.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: May 11, 2019, 03:02:11 am »
You can throw your vacuum suckings in there... just got to find a wet/dry balance in your compost. Not too wet... not too dry.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: May 11, 2019, 03:08:04 am »
Top tip ... if you have a garden shredder... or have access to alot of shredded wood...chuck a load of that into the bottom of your kitchen compost bin. Soaks it all up. Have just discovered this joy.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: May 11, 2019, 03:16:05 am »
My compost is basically the pay off from a 1000 rejected kids lunch boxes. Plus everything else. It's bad of me I know... but I love rejection. All goes back in.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: May 11, 2019, 04:55:32 am »
Any idea what these are?

I tried mate but that link is busted

Doh!

Any joy? Any idea what these are?

(PS Filler that’s a brilliant tip!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 04:58:12 am by royhendo »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: May 11, 2019, 09:28:43 am »
Doh!

Any joy? Any idea what these are?

(PS Filler that’s a brilliant tip!

Does it smell of garlic? Looks like wild garlic. :lickin

Edit: eat the leaves, leave the roots alone!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 09:34:21 am by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #865 on: May 11, 2019, 01:24:36 pm »
Allium (Ransoms) Roy.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: May 11, 2019, 03:02:43 pm »
Magic!!! Ta mate!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #867 on: May 11, 2019, 03:38:00 pm »
(Ransoms) Roy.

Looks nothing like him Sarge.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #868 on: May 13, 2019, 08:17:51 pm »
No what you have done is correct, let the lawn breath for a bit, if the patches are large then you will have to lay seed, problem is you'll need to know what seed went down beofre, or dig at the grass up and re seed.
Cheers for this. The patches aren't big and the lawn is pretty good at the moment but I have a deep desire to get it absolutely perfect for some strange reason!

Anyway, I've used weed and feed. Got rid of moss. I've aerated it a bit in the spots where the moss was too. I don't have any noticeable weeds but when I walk through it I see some. Perhaps I'm being anal but I just want rid of every fucked weed!

Haven't a notion about flowers but I'd love to educate myself. Might start by reading through this whole thread. I usually buy mine ready grown in a basket.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #869 on: May 13, 2019, 09:42:50 pm »
:thumbup
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #870 on: May 18, 2019, 01:04:11 pm »
Weather looks to be picking up and the garden is coming alive, love it.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #871 on: May 18, 2019, 01:39:35 pm »
Weather looks to be picking up and the garden is coming alive, love it.

Noticed loads of bees around in the last few days including lots of bumble bees which is always good to see.

Shit loads of caterpillars too, have a feeling they might be theirs ones that are poisonous/bad for your asthma.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #872 on: May 18, 2019, 01:41:21 pm »
Noticed loads of bees around in the last few days including lots of bumble bees which is always good to see.

Shit loads of caterpillars too, have a feeling they might be theirs ones that are poisonous/bad for your asthma.

Snails and slugs are out in force every year in my area, I mean fucking hundreds of the little fuckers.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #873 on: May 18, 2019, 06:46:05 pm »
Just finished off my sub frame for a new 16 x 10 shed.

Bloody nightmare getting everything level for the concrete footings.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #874 on: May 19, 2019, 02:52:17 pm »

It'll be worth it when the missus fills it with crap ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #875 on: May 19, 2019, 10:33:11 pm »
It'll be worth it when the missus fills it with crap ;D

Absolutely no chance she can have the garage which too be fair is full of my crap  ;D

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #876 on: May 19, 2019, 10:39:43 pm »
;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: May 20, 2019, 03:22:42 pm »

A wee life hack on this front - Gumtree is awash with IKEA 'Stora' loft bed frames, ranging from giving them away for free to £50 and £60.

Lovely wee shed frames, them. Like little Lego-style building blocks for a little MINI showroom style gaff in the garden.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #878 on: May 20, 2019, 07:35:13 pm »
Just a quick question here. Is it worthwhile pulling the weeds that are in my lawn? Or should I just spray them? I've a few here and there.

Pulling them quicker than they're growing would surely seen them gone eventually?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #879 on: May 20, 2019, 09:46:35 pm »
Just a quick question here. Is it worthwhile pulling the weeds that are in my lawn? Or should I just spray them? I've a few here and there.

Pulling them quicker than they're growing would surely seen them gone eventually?

Weeds are self geminating little bastards, smoke em.
Y.N.W.A.