Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 175343 times)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #800 on: March 18, 2019, 12:14:24 pm »
We have had a raised deck for going on 11 years and no issues.

You have probably just been unlucky unless it was beavers  :D
I dont have decking mate, I dont even have a garden just concrete with pots and baskets.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #801 on: March 18, 2019, 02:12:04 pm »
Got the fun job this week of removing 62 (yes, 62)  small tree stumps - average diameter of about 7 or 8 inches, but they were all put in close to each other, so the roots are all intermingled......and need it done by next week as I've got a fence being installed.

Yesterday, chainsawed all the trees downs and managed to remove a grand total of three before I'd had enough.

Tonight I'm off to B&Q to buy a pick-axe and I'm getting medieval on the little blighters, they aren't deep just annoyingly stubborn

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #802 on: March 18, 2019, 02:26:56 pm »
Why's that Sarge? What's the alternative?

As said before plus they can be deadly when wet and maintaining them is a nightmane, roth too. Get the harder plastic type.
Y.N.W.A.

Online royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #803 on: March 18, 2019, 02:33:24 pm »
As said before plus they can be deadly when wet and maintaining them is a nightmane, roth too. Get the harder plastic type.

roth?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #804 on: March 18, 2019, 02:42:25 pm »
Got the fun job this week of removing 62 (yes, 62)  small tree stumps - average diameter of about 7 or 8 inches, but they were all put in close to each other, so the roots are all intermingled......and need it done by next week as I've got a fence being installed.

Yesterday, chainsawed all the trees downs and managed to remove a grand total of three before I'd had enough.

Tonight I'm off to B&Q to buy a pick-axe and I'm getting medieval on the little blighters, they aren't deep just annoyingly stubborn

Forget the pick axe mate get yourself one of these it will slice though the roots.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-17lb-post-hole-digger/62496?tc=ST2&ds_kid=92700019785428365&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249410&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg73kBRDVARIsAF-kEH_aalZ-247WsvnyJoFHlNKAeoluy7jexRw3tyDidL2yGwFR39W628oaArOvEALw_wcB

Online stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #805 on: March 18, 2019, 02:59:33 pm »
Forget the pick axe mate get yourself one of these it will slice though the roots.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-17lb-post-hole-digger/62496?tc=ST2&ds_kid=92700019785428365&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249410&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg73kBRDVARIsAF-kEH_aalZ-247WsvnyJoFHlNKAeoluy7jexRw3tyDidL2yGwFR39W628oaArOvEALw_wcB

Turns out its a Mattock I need not a Pick-axe, can get one for £15/£20, give it a go tonight and if I'm struggling, I may get one of those tools. 

Either way, it'll be a hell of a workout getting all these stumps out!!

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #806 on: March 18, 2019, 03:29:39 pm »
roth?

It can be rotten if not cared for, needs quite a bit of looking after.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #807 on: March 18, 2019, 03:30:36 pm »
Get yourself a mini digger and them roots will be toast.
Y.N.W.A.

Online stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #808 on: March 19, 2019, 09:26:55 am »
Get yourself a mini digger and them roots will be toast.

that was in my thinking too.

I spent an hour last night having a blast with the mattock and in all fairness I managed to get 8 of them out.  Was enough physical effort for one day tho, so am trying to do 8 - 10 a night and that way I get the job done by the weekend

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #809 on: March 19, 2019, 08:05:30 pm »
that was in my thinking too.

I spent an hour last night having a blast with the mattock and in all fairness I managed to get 8 of them out.  Was enough physical effort for one day tho, so am trying to do 8 - 10 a night and that way I get the job done by the weekend

Good man ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Online royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #810 on: March 21, 2019, 09:04:57 am »
Yeah that's a good effort. I did similar to finish the retaining wall and it's done as of last night - well, the dangerous bit is done anyway.

It sucks you in doesn't it? I was out clipping out dead wood on our clematis when I was supposed to be leaving for work this morning. ;D

Next bit for me is doing a flagstone patio. We were lucky and got a load of good stone from someone round the corner who was putting an extension in. Any good tutorials on that? I'm thinking it's pretty simple but I don't want to use cement - just pitched stone if I can help it so that we get plants growing through the cracks...
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #811 on: March 21, 2019, 09:33:28 am »
Yeah that's a good effort. I did similar to finish the retaining wall and it's done as of last night - well, the dangerous bit is done anyway.

It sucks you in doesn't it? I was out clipping out dead wood on our clematis when I was supposed to be leaving for work this morning. ;D

Next bit for me is doing a flagstone patio. We were lucky and got a load of good stone from someone round the corner who was putting an extension in. Any good tutorials on that? I'm thinking it's pretty simple but I don't want to use cement - just pitched stone if I can help it so that we get plants growing through the cracks...
Do it the traditional way and bed it on sand.  I'll see if I can dig some info up for you.

Online royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #812 on: March 21, 2019, 10:09:59 am »
Do it the traditional way and bed it on sand.  I'll see if I can dig some info up for you.

That's the hope anyway Debs - there's a lot of good info on the Moors for the Future site on pitching flags and I have the Andy Radford books. I'm just kind of lacking in confidence and want not to have to redo it, you know? It's how my Dad laid our patio area when I was growing up and then he just sewed little alpines that eventually monopolised the cracks alongside the moss and lichen. 

http://www.moorsforthefuture.org.uk/our-work/restoring-blanket-bog/footpaths-and-bridleways

« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:14:16 am by royhendo »

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #813 on: March 21, 2019, 10:19:14 am »

You just wait till till you walk past other gardens Roy and want to clip and tidy their shrubs. Then you have it bad just like me.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #814 on: March 21, 2019, 10:31:44 am »
That's the hope anyway Debs - there's a lot of good info on the Moors for the Future site on pitching flags and I have the Andy Radford books. I'm just kind of lacking in confidence and want not to have to redo it, you know? It's how my Dad laid our patio area when I was growing up and then he just sewed little alpines that eventually monopolised the cracks alongside the moss and lichen. 

http://www.moorsforthefuture.org.uk/our-work/restoring-blanket-bog/footpaths-and-bridleways

But that's the good thing about the traditional ways, if it's not quite right it's easy to redo it but you dont need to redo the whole thing.

Dont forget too that all gardening is personal, so what pleases you wont always be perfect or please others. 

Just go for it mate, you've done the wall so you're obviously capable.

Online royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #815 on: March 21, 2019, 10:40:21 am »
It's a great thread this innit? :)

It's the pegging out bit I'm not sure about I think. But hey we'll give it a go.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #816 on: March 21, 2019, 10:49:03 am »
It's a great thread this innit? :)

It's the pegging out bit I'm not sure about I think. But hey we'll give it a go.
Prep, prep and more prep is the key to every job being done well [emoji106]

Dont start till you're confident you've got it right and if you live out in the sticks, there's bound to be an old timer locally to give it the once over if you're unsure.

And yes it's a great thread.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #817 on: March 25, 2019, 08:59:19 pm »
Great to see the trees beginning to bloom, its the ittle things.
Y.N.W.A.

Online royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #818 on: April 11, 2019, 07:15:25 am »
Apparently if you put too many bulbs in a tight space they don’t flower. Every day is a school day.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #819 on: April 11, 2019, 08:31:53 am »
Removed the gigantic bush yesterday to turf it in a few weeks before it all gets landscaped in the near future.

Grass currently looks awful  :(

Cherry blossom tree started blooming yesterday. A bit late having seen other trees lately.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: April 11, 2019, 08:48:22 am »
Having an extension built so had to clear the back of my house. RIP Virginia Creeper.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #821 on: April 11, 2019, 08:59:08 am »
Looked nice with the Virginia creeper on :)
Reminds me of me when I have had a shave.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #822 on: April 11, 2019, 09:25:09 am »
I have just bought some Indoor plants and was wondering if anyone has some experience with them?!?

Aloe Vera
Sansevieria Trifasciata
Dracaena

Any tips with respect to light and water and general maintenance would be helpful.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #823 on: April 12, 2019, 07:22:20 am »
I have just bought some Indoor plants and was wondering if anyone has some experience with them?!?

Aloe Vera
Sansevieria Trifasciata
Dracaena

Any tips with respect to light and water and general maintenance would be helpful.

In general, water them once a week, maybe more if its warm and they look thirsty. (Or feel the soil, it should be moist, not dry and not soaking). I don't know you middle plant, but the aloa is very easy, it will grow and sprawl everywhere though. The dracaena has a habit of looking fine and then dropping lots of leaves. It only grows new ones at the top, so that makes it go bald. It happens when it hadn't had enough water, ao keep an eye on it.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #824 on: April 12, 2019, 09:55:20 am »
Thanks for the reply mate.
I use a spray thingy (like how they have at the barbers) and spray the soil with water once every 3 days. Just twice per pot. It wont be wet. But just appear moist.
I bought these three in particular because they clean the indoor air apparently according to NASA Clean Air Study
My wife wants to grow some Garlic, Ginger, Tomato, Chilli, Basil, Parsley and lemon grass.
But I heard that they attract insects and pests. And I am, in my rented apartment, skeptical to grow them indoors as we dont have a balcony or a terrace.
I will definitely visit this thread and go through it from the start as I find some tips and DIYs very helpful.

Also,
Sansevieria Trifasciata

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sansevieria_trifasciata

Sansevieria trifasciata is a species of flowering plant in the family Asparagaceae, native to tropical West Africa from Nigeria east to the Congo. It is most commonly known as the snake plant, mother-in-law's tongue, and viper's bowstring hemp, among other names.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #825 on: April 12, 2019, 11:21:34 am »
Having an extension built so had to clear the back of my house. RIP Virginia Creeper.

Very nice house, pain in the arse cleaning the windows though huh    :)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #826 on: April 12, 2019, 12:40:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply mate.
I use a spray thingy (like how they have at the barbers) and spray the soil with water once every 3 days. Just twice per pot. It wont be wet. But just appear moist.
I bought these three in particular because they clean the indoor air apparently according to NASA Clean Air Study
My wife wants to grow some Garlic, Ginger, Tomato, Chilli, Basil, Parsley and lemon grass.
But I heard that they attract insects and pests. And I am, in my rented apartment, skeptical to grow them indoors as we dont have a balcony or a terrace.
I will definitely visit this thread and go through it from the start as I find some tips and DIYs very helpful.

Also,

The draceana will need more water than that. I just pour water in, until some of it comes out at the bottom. If the water is still there the next day, pour it away and don't let the plant sit in it, or the roots might rot. The aloa and the snake plant, can't see them to be fickle. They come from an environment where they get soaked for a bit and then sit dry for a bit, there isn't too much you can do wrong.

Of the plants your wife wants - the herbs will live in a pot on the windowsill, no problem. You can actually just buy them in a pot in the veg aisle of tescos or similar.
You can grow chilies inside, they might need fertiliser or good earth/repotting every year to have fruits though. Tomatos you could grow inside, but to actually get decent amounts of tomatoes you'll need big plants and quite a bit of space. They need a lot of water too. Ginger and garlic are roots, they might be more difficult to grow indoors. Garlic also smells! Maybe a box outside the window is better?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #827 on: April 12, 2019, 03:56:11 pm »
I have a patch of grass, say about 12m square....that I want to destroy and have nothing grow on it for as long as possible

What's the best way to do that?
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #828 on: April 12, 2019, 04:31:55 pm »
I have a patch of grass, say about 12m square....that I want to destroy and have nothing grow on it for as long as possible

Put a shed on it.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #829 on: April 13, 2019, 06:23:01 pm »
Looked nice with the Virginia creeper on :)
Reminds me of me when I have had a shave.

You a ginger?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #830 on: April 13, 2019, 06:24:09 pm »

Concrete.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #831 on: April 15, 2019, 03:01:19 pm »
shed/concrete is the longterm plan.....just tryina find a way to not have to "manage" it until that plan is put in place.

For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #832 on: April 15, 2019, 04:14:09 pm »
shed/concrete is the longterm plan.....just tryina find a way to not have to "manage" it until that plan is put in place.
Black tarpaulin.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #833 on: April 15, 2019, 04:17:53 pm »
Black tarpaulin.

Thank yoo
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #834 on: April 15, 2019, 06:22:44 pm »
You can buy rolls of black 'weed barrier' fabric from garden centres and similar outlets. It blocks out sunlight and stops anything underneath it growing. It's best to get decent quality stuff and make sure it's weighted down really well. Black tarpaulin, as already suggested, would also do it if thick enough. Basically, the object of the exercise, however you do it, is to totally block out sunlight.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #835 on: April 17, 2019, 12:49:23 pm »
Very nice house, pain in the arse cleaning the windows though huh    :)

£10 to the window-cleaner every few weeks. Saves me a job!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #836 on: April 22, 2019, 11:48:20 pm »
Been great this weekend. Great few days. Built a trough for plants that I've planned for years and never got round to, cleared loads of crap too. Few bears. edit: beers .. sun... winning games... cheers.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #837 on: April 22, 2019, 11:59:34 pm »

House chickens.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #838 on: April 23, 2019, 08:32:47 pm »
You a ginger?
;D no!
Just, look very barefaced without a bit of stubble.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #839 on: April 27, 2019, 03:10:57 pm »
;D no!
Just, look very barefaced without a bit of stubble.

;D

Been great this weekend. Great few days. Built a trough for plants that I've planned for years and never got round to, cleared loads of crap too. Few bears. edit: beers .. sun... winning games... cheers.

Good stuff, its great when you get it sorted makes such a difference.
Y.N.W.A.