Author Topic: Simon Mignolet  (Read 279429 times)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Re: The Simon Mignolet is boss thread.
« Reply #1520 on: May 15, 2017, 07:45:05 pm »
or me, development means that you improve and leave your level to reach a new one and you stay there. It doesn't meant that you improve to a new level for a while and fall back to where you were. That's form. And I think this season is sufficient evidence that Mignolet has developed. He was good before he was unjustifiably benched and he has been even better for the 3 months or so since he regained his position.

unjustifiably benched   ::)

nonsense that.

Everyone had been calling for him to be dropped for 2 seasons such was his shit form. It happened, and people cry about that. I swear some people aren't happy if they can't find fault in everything a manager does.

Mig would not even have started the season in goal had Karius not broken his hand, the manager was alawys going to bring him into the team at some point to replace a goalie most saw as simply not good enough. 

Best thing that ever happeend to him really. Now look at him.

Anyway, I promise I won't go on about this again, until the next time lol.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #1521 on: May 16, 2017, 06:33:26 am »
It's not only his command of the box and with it his confidence which has improved, but also his distribution. A few months ago the normal hoof up the park would have lost us possession 9 times out of 10. How he's using more intelligence and passing it out of defence.
Certainly IMO we don't have to be worried about diverting any transfer money in his direction. A quality LB will stop 30% of the balls into the box anyway, and an equally high quality CB will mop them up leaving Migs hardly troubled.

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #1522 on: May 16, 2017, 06:41:31 am »

nonsense that.

Everyone had been calling for him to be dropped for 2 seasons such was his shit form. It happened, and people cry about that. I swear some people aren't happy if they can't find fault in everything a manager does.

Mig would not even have started the season in goal had Karius not broken his hand, the manager was alawys going to bring him into the team at some point to replace a goalie most saw as simply not good enough. 

Hardly crying about it, am I? Behave.

Yes, unjustifiably, since he had palyed well and didn't really deserve to be benched. If Karius had been healthy, he had started and on the end of the season before, justifiably so. I know you have a penchant for German players , so look beyond your bias. Karius showed exactly what Mignolet had before him, even before that Bournemouth game. Hesitant on crosses, wasn't near of commanding his area, some really shit kicking. SO he was benched. Justifiably so, because of poor play. Mignolet hadn't been anywhere near poor when he got dropped.

What has brought out this level is the competition, not being benched as such.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:46:08 am by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1523 on: May 16, 2017, 10:42:46 am »

nonsense that.

Steady on. No one's crying.

He'd hardly put a foot wrong and a lot of people think he should have kept his place because of that.

As it turns out his stellar form has continued. We all win.

Offline McLovin

• Boys Pen
« Reply #1524 on: May 16, 2017, 10:48:28 am »
He has improved no end. The good thing is we can now spend the money on different parts of the squad that badly need it.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #1525 on: May 17, 2017, 02:35:44 am »

nonsense that.

Think most of us here think he shouldnt have been dropped.

Thank god klopp had some sense in him to realise karius isnt up to scratch yet. Thank god he's not biased like some fans.

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1526 on: May 17, 2017, 10:05:35 am »

Thank god klopp had some sense in him to realise karius isnt up to scratch yet. Thank god he's not biased like some fans.
It was pretty hilarious looking back on it.

The "it'll ruin his career if you drop him" argument for keeping Karius in the team was being trotted out constantly on here.

The same people that were nit-picking for any half-mistake Mignolet had made (of which there were very few) were making all sorts of excuses for the Karius horror show.

Karius has obviously got talent, and has time on his side. I'll still back him and hope he can become a top keeper. But bringing Mignolet back in was an absolute no brainer.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1527 on: May 17, 2017, 10:16:17 am »

Hmmm.....

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1528 on: May 17, 2017, 10:55:21 am »
He has been much much better for a while now.

However, the story of his career here has been doing well - doing badly - doing better for a while - doing really well - doing badly.

What's to say he won't drop off again?
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1529 on: May 17, 2017, 11:05:54 am »

However, the story of his career here has been doing well - doing badly - doing better for a while - doing really well - doing badly.

It's the nature of the improvement. When he was playing well before (compared to his bad periods) it was mainly his shot stopping that improved, he still didn't look all that commanding dealing with aerial balls, it's completely different now though. He's consistently coming out to claim them and isn't allowing himself to get bullied and I think that's something which he hasn't shown before.

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #1530 on: May 17, 2017, 11:19:44 am »

Well we dont know do we? Its possible his good form will continue OR  he will drop off again. Why focus on the negative? What does that achieve?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:20:53 pm by SinceSixtyFive »

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1531 on: May 22, 2017, 03:51:25 am »
Sharp one on one save and some good punches again.

Rounds off a frankly incredible season. Well done Si.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1532 on: May 22, 2017, 03:57:26 am »
Sharp one on one save and some good punches again.

Rounds off a frankly incredible season. Well done Si.
Can't say clearer than that, he's been magnificent since he came back in.

And, I don't think I ever said it on here, but I had my doubts about him, I was wrong, and happy to be proved to be.
Great season Migs.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1533 on: May 22, 2017, 04:08:57 am »
The stoke save!

And countless punches and clearances especially the last 10 games.

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1534 on: May 22, 2017, 04:30:59 am »
Amazing really that he did turn it around.  I'm reading above that he was unjustifiably dropped but I don't think that's correct at all! He was pretty shocking and it was a forgone conclusion (at least to me) that he was a liability and Karius was a very welcome addition. 
The fact he was brought back in was just too remove Karius from the firing line but my word did he take advantage of it!

Been absolutely a different keeper for me and he's almost to the point of reliable! Can't see Karius getting a look in next season in the main games or can't see us shopping for another now, and I'm very happy about that. 

Offline MTred406

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1535 on: May 22, 2017, 04:36:12 am »
Does everything well now, easily one of our best players this season.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #1536 on: May 22, 2017, 04:56:47 am »
Just how good is his punching now? He superman style flies out and and destroys any long balls into the box. Great to see.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #1537 on: May 22, 2017, 05:18:04 am »
Our most improved player??????

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #1538 on: May 22, 2017, 05:46:47 am »
Amazing really that he did turn it around.  I'm reading above that he was unjustifiably dropped but I don't think that's correct at all! He was pretty shocking and it was a forgone conclusion (at least to me) that he was a liability and Karius was a very welcome addition. 
The fact he was brought back in was just too remove Karius from the firing line but my word did he take advantage of it!

Been absolutely a different keeper for me and he's almost to the point of reliable! Can't see Karius getting a look in next season in the main games or can't see us shopping for another now, and I'm very happy about that.
There is a nuance here

Justifiably dropped based on the previous season.

Unjustifiably dropped at the time that he was.

It's all moot now.

Klopp has a pleasant problem since Karius did okay in the few cup games we did play.

Going to be interesting to see what happens next season.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1539 on: May 22, 2017, 06:32:28 am »
He has been brilliant for the last 3 months and long may it continue.

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1540 on: May 22, 2017, 06:38:37 am »
There is a nuance here

Justifiably dropped based on the previous season.

Unjustifiably dropped at the time that he was.

It's all moot now.

Klopp has a pleasant problem since Karius did okay in the few cup games we did play.

Going to be interesting to see what happens next season.
Pretty much this, its like people forget just how bad he has been for us at times. But on the other hand its weird, hes improved so radically in so many aspects and has done so unnoticed largely i feel. Its been a really big big change. What i would like to see continue is him making big saves its what all other top keepers do to bail their sides out. He carries that on he will stay no1.
I would still eventually like to see Karius come in tho. He seemed a level above in those cup games.
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1541 on: May 22, 2017, 07:23:10 am »
He's been excellent since coming back in, massive turnaround as everyone wanted him gone last year.  He'll rightly start next season as no.1

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #1542 on: May 22, 2017, 07:46:52 am »
Just how good is his punching now? He superman style flies out and and destroys any long balls into the box. Great to see.

It's amazing really, he comes at the ball so hard now, just smashes it and anyone in the way as well.  Clears the danger.  Boss!

Such a turn-around from previous timidity. 
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Weytske

• Anny Roader
  • Peerless
« Reply #1543 on: May 22, 2017, 07:57:58 am »
Pretty much this, its like people forget just how bad he has been for us at times. But on the other hand its weird, hes improved so radically in so many aspects and has done so unnoticed largely i feel. Its been a really big big change. What i would like to see continue is him making big saves its what all other top keepers do to bail their sides out. He carries that on he will stay no1.
I would still eventually like to see Karius come in tho. He seemed a level above in those cup games.
Honestly, I haven't seen anything from Karius this season to say he's a level above Mignolet at this time. The way Mignolet has improved this season does convince me however of the importance of a well organised and established back 4 to a goalkeeper, something he never really had during his time here.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #1544 on: May 22, 2017, 08:35:55 am »
If he can keep the level of performance he's had over the last 4 months then I don't think GK is an area we need to improve on this summer. He's been brilliant at times and seems much calmer, and you can see that's transmitted to his CB's. Hope he has a good holiday and comes back refreshed and ready for another long season
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #1545 on: May 22, 2017, 08:54:09 am »
Honestly, I haven't seen anything from Karius this season to say he's a level above Mignolet at this time.

Fully agreed. Mignolet was in fact much much better than Karius.

Karius shat his pants in the few games that he started in the league, I genuinely can't believe people have forgotten about that. And then they remember every single mistake that Mignolet has done.

Mr Nasty is here to stay.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1546 on: May 22, 2017, 08:57:09 am »

If he can keep the level of performance he's had over the last 4 months then I don't think GK is an area we need to improve on this summer. He's been brilliant at times and seems much calmer, and you can see that's transmitted to his CB's. Hope he has a good holiday and comes back refreshed and ready for another long season

I do find this idea funny (And I know that this isn't exactly what you're saying, but...)

Mignolet has always copped flak for the back 4s indecisiveness.

I guess it's easier to blame one person than 4 or 5 but it's got to be a bit of both. The "he's always at the scene of the crime" argument was getting used at the start of this season to pin blame on him for goals that were clearly not his fault, as though any indecisiveness from any of the 10 other professionals on the pitch was his and his alone (for the record, every team's goalkeeper is 'at the scene of the crime' when a goal is conceded.)

Easy to forget now that he's stuffed everyone's words down their throats for the time being, but the witch hunt had reached ridiculous levels over the first couple of months of the season.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1547 on: May 22, 2017, 08:59:46 am »
Can't believe I'm writing this but he has actually looked like a top 4 quality keeper. Commanding on corners, great shot stopping, decent distribution- he's looked a good keeper this season and a big reason for us qualifying for top 4

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1548 on: May 22, 2017, 09:01:03 am »
The good thing is, our goalkeeper's position is sorted for the next few years with Mignolet and Karius.

Online jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1549 on: May 22, 2017, 09:06:31 am »
Thank You, Karius
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline WhingingMoaningUpstart

• 'The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.' Bill Shankly
  • Anny Roader
  • Al-Monstart Ibn Paisley Ibn Shankly
« Reply #1550 on: May 24, 2017, 02:26:57 am »
It's amazing really, he comes at the ball so hard now, just smashes it and anyone in the way as well.  Clears the danger.  Boss!

Such a turn-around from previous timidity.

I think the rugby tackle bag training Achtenberg designed specifically for Karius has helped Migs even more. You can see clearly he is more confident dealing with crosses, which have been a bane to our backline for the past few years (except when Agger was playing - seriously, the amount of shut outs we had when Agger played was crazy).

Migs has also emulated Karius' high line, which contributes to his better distribution. Karius' arrival here has done wonders for Migs.

Easy to forget now that he's stuffed everyone's words down their throats for the time being, but the witch hunt had reached ridiculous levels over the first couple of months of the season.
There was no witch hunt - Migs was genuinely terrible the previous two seasons. Between 2013/14 and 2015/16, he was the most error prone goalkeeper in the league (eight errors leading to goal). He was also ranked 18th in save success rate. The criticisms he received were justified (the personal attack wasn't). That said, rejoice at his current magnificent form.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 02:39:46 am by Monstart »
RAWK, where childish mods protect their cliques and punish dissenting voices.

Socialism is not communism.

Offline coutinho and firmino

• Main Stander
« Reply #1551 on: May 24, 2017, 03:08:02 am »
It will be interesting to see how Klopp approaches the GK position with the added European games.

Will we see Karius start in the CL? I personally would go with Mignolet for PL and CL, and Karius for the FA cup and league cup.

Mourinho starts Romero in the Europa, and I believe Wenger starts their second choice goalkeeer in the CL.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1552 on: May 24, 2017, 03:24:10 am »
It will be interesting to see how Klopp approaches the GK position with the added European games.

Will we see Karius start in the CL? I personally would go with Mignolet for PL and CL, and Karius for the FA cup and league cup.

Mourinho starts Romero in the Europa, and I believe Wenger starts their second choice goalkeeer in the CL.

I think Wenger starting Ospina against Bayern was madness. In the CL we should be going with our first choice whoever it may be.

I do agree though that our second choice gets the FA and league cup games.

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1553 on: May 24, 2017, 03:29:56 am »

There was no witch hunt - Migs was genuinely terrible the previous two seasons. Between 2013/14 and 2015/16, he was the most error prone goalkeeper in the league (eight errors leading to goal). He was also ranked 18th in save success rate. The criticisms he received were justified (the personal attack wasn't). That said, rejoice at his current magnificent form.

No. There was a witch hunt.

Every game this season until Karius came in he was criticised on here and on podcasts for almost every goal. Now looking back everyone accepts that he was actually pretty good all season.

Despite the fact that he was playing well he was blamed for all the teams defensive failings.

The idea that he was 'genuinely terrible' for two full seasons is overblown. He had patches of poor form, and wasn't playing to the level of a top 4 keeper.

But people were genuinely saying he was the worst in the league. It was ridiculous.

Goalkeeper stats like that are horrendous metrics, btw.

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1554 on: May 24, 2017, 03:32:50 am »
Fully agreed. Mignolet was in fact much much better than Karius.

Karius shat his pants in the few games that he started in the league, I genuinely can't believe people have forgotten about that. And then they remember every single mistake that Mignolet has done.

Mr Nasty is here to stay.
I still think it's fair to say Karius has the "potential" to be better. But that's mostly due to age and that there was obviously a reason we signed him.

His early performances were horrendous but I wouldn't be writing him off yet.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1555 on: May 24, 2017, 08:58:37 am »
still cant believe the turnaround by Migs this season....genuinely did not see it coming.

If he adds consistency and keeps improving and commanding his box more then it is great for us
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #1556 on: May 24, 2017, 09:30:50 am »
He has prior before.

I remember Migs being dropped by Rogers in favour of Brad Jones for a couple of games and he also came back a better player but soon regressed again. I just wished this isn't another false dawn because our margin of error will be much smaller next season with CL to contend with.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #1557 on: May 24, 2017, 09:37:19 am »
I still think it's fair to say Karius has the "potential" to be better. But that's mostly due to age and that there was obviously a reason we signed him.

Why is that fair? What is it based on? He's worse from crosses (the stats from his time at Mainz back that up) and his reflexes aren't as sharp. I think he's more natural with his distribution but Mignolet has even improved at that now.

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #1558 on: May 24, 2017, 10:59:55 am »
Why is that fair? What is it based on? He's worse from crosses (the stats from his time at Mainz back that up) and his reflexes aren't as sharp. I think he's more natural with his distribution but Mignolet has even improved at that now.

In his defence I would imagine that whatever aspects of training Mings has been doing to bring about an improvement in his catching and domination of the box Karius will also have been doing too.  I would expect that he has also improved but we just don't see it as he is on the bench.

Both working on crosses/domination
Karius shot stopping
Mings distribution.

Think we have two good keepers,
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1559 on: May 24, 2017, 12:04:52 pm »

Yeah seem to always be ready to fly out of the traps to bash Karius, even when someone agrees with you for the most part.

All I said was that he probably has a higher "ceiling" and that was mostly because he's young and has more time to improve. I didn't say it was likely. I don't think it is.

I'm a huge fan of Mignolet (as you can probably tell), and if we had to ship one out tomorrow it'd be Karius in a heartbeat, as he was very poor when got his chance.

All keepers go through rough patches though, and I'd love to see Karius prove everyone wrong in the same way Mignolet has.