Author Topic: What games are you playing at the moment?  (Read 208792 times)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Re: What games are you playing at the moment?
« Reply #480 on: January 15, 2020, 05:11:39 pm »
Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

I really enjoyed the first two in this trilogy. This is enjoyable at times but also comfortably the weakest of the three. Story and characters are two areas where these games lose out to Uncharted, and it’s very noticeable here. Aside from that it just has an inconsistent pace to it and is generally a bit of a mess. There’s a ton of weapons and upgrades, but almost no combat. You come across villages that would take you hours to fully explore, but they’re essentially 100 versions of the same hut. I’ve encountered some weird glitches too.

It would really benefit from being trimmed down. There are some really enjoyable encounters with enemies where you can either go full stealth or blitz your way through. The puzzles are challenging once you ramp the difficulty up too. It’s a shame that between these strong parts there are some really tedious periods to slog through. If I remember, the first in this series was a linear path with the occasional optional tomb. That’s all this genre needs.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: January 17, 2020, 07:27:57 am »
Farm Together. Simple, but quite addictive.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #482 on: January 28, 2020, 07:02:58 pm »
NGU

FFS
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #483 on: January 29, 2020, 01:50:27 pm »
We've been playing Return of the Obra Dinn, notepad to hand for those on their first try of it. Still one of the best recent games I've played. Beautifully done puzzle game.

Slowly working through an X-Com 2 (WotC) again too. My Cheryl Tunt voiced character was brutally murdered by her Sectorid controlled bondmate, Malory Archer voiced heh, which almost had me quit. A borked ironman save which hard locks may have finally killed my interest once more. Could try to console around the mission but meh. Serves me right for running ironman.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: January 30, 2020, 01:34:36 pm »
We've been playing Return of the Obra Dinn, notepad to hand for those on their first try of it. Still one of the best recent games I've played. Beautifully done puzzle game.

Slowly working through an X-Com 2 (WotC) again too. My Cheryl Tunt voiced character was brutally murdered by her Sectorid controlled bondmate, Malory Archer voiced heh, which almost had me quit. A borked ironman save which hard locks may have finally killed my interest once more. Could try to console around the mission but meh. Serves me right for running ironman.
XCOM2 on Ironman? You must have titanium balls. I LOVE this game but I still haven't been able to get past the mid-game point, even on easy mode AND using every guide there is. The point when those flying things with spears apperar, my entire team gets decimated. I rage quit, uninstall, and start a new game six months later. Come to think of it, maybe it's time for another try.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: January 30, 2020, 03:23:58 pm »
Started playing Paladins on the switch, fantastic hero shooter and for free aswell!

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #486 on: January 30, 2020, 04:24:30 pm »
Poor man's Overwatch innit ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #487 on: January 30, 2020, 05:14:57 pm »
XCOM2 on Ironman? You must have titanium balls. I LOVE this game but I still haven't been able to get past the mid-game point, even on easy mode AND using every guide there is. The point when those flying things with spears apperar, my entire team gets decimated. I rage quit, uninstall, and start a new game six months later. Come to think of it, maybe it's time for another try.

;D

I'd not touch Ironman again for a while with a modded game to be honest. Hard locks and save game corruption is far too frustrating when you're deep into a campaign. Guns and armour as priorities and you're golden with Classic difficulty and below. The new legacy pack is quite nice too because if you complete the missions in it then, for every campaign after, you get an additional set of weapons which auto-upgrade with tech alone (no need to find alloys and supplies). Used to be the alien rulers who'd clean me out - especially the daddy version of those fliers - but they've been toned down a bit.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #488 on: February 2, 2020, 12:32:37 pm »
Enjoying Horizon Zero Dawn more now at least

Online tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #489 on: February 2, 2020, 02:00:46 pm »
Back into Borderlands 3 now, working through the DLC with the missus and despairing at how often she dies and gets picked up by her pet.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #490 on: February 3, 2020, 12:51:58 pm »
;D

I'd not touch Ironman again for a while with a modded game to be honest. Hard locks and save game corruption is far too frustrating when you're deep into a campaign. Guns and armour as priorities and you're golden with Classic difficulty and below. The new legacy pack is quite nice too because if you complete the missions in it then, for every campaign after, you get an additional set of weapons which auto-upgrade with tech alone (no need to find alloys and supplies). Used to be the alien rulers who'd clean me out - especially the daddy version of those fliers - but they've been toned down a bit.

The WOTC expansion solves most of the performance woes. It's night and day how stable it is vs Xcom 2 itself!

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #491 on: February 3, 2020, 03:26:04 pm »
Picked up The Witcher 3 the other day so threw myself into that over the weekend.

Can see this taking up a lot of my life for the next few months

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #492 on: February 3, 2020, 05:24:35 pm »
The WOTC expansion solves most of the performance woes. It's night and day how stable it is vs Xcom 2 itself!

Yeah, generally I've had no issue. Haven't really seen any, beyond some issues with fps drops in original on release, with either. Corrupted save game on Ironman is enough to kill my enthusiasm for trying it again - too many flashbacks to the old Troika games' issues with it, and I'm not dropping my mods to bug report for a game which is no longer patched!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #493 on: February 4, 2020, 01:58:44 pm »
Replaying XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN

Awesomeness!
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: February 4, 2020, 05:54:48 pm »
Finally picked up Days Gone, actually really enjoying roaming about on a motorbike killing Zombies. Shit I've become Daryl !!!

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #495 on: February 5, 2020, 12:39:21 pm »
bought a Nintendo 2ds for cheap, in good condition. hacked it and stuffed an sd card full of games. best tenner I ever spent!
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #496 on: February 5, 2020, 03:20:19 pm »
bought a Nintendo 2ds for cheap, in good condition. hacked it and stuffed an sd card full of games. best tenner I ever spent!
Go on then, tell me how to do it (explain it like I'm stupid (Narrator's voice: He IS stupid))

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: February 5, 2020, 10:39:56 pm »
Go on then, tell me how to do it (explain it like I'm stupid (Narrator's voice: He IS stupid))

haha! it only takes some time and patience. follow this guide to the word, works on latest update to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrrFnpale0

good luck!
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #498 on: February 5, 2020, 11:01:54 pm »
haha! it only takes some time and patience. follow this guide to the word, works on latest update to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqrrFnpale0

good luck!
Thanks pal - bought the other half a DS XL about 9 years ago, she hasn't used it in years but must see if it's about somewhere!

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #499 on: February 6, 2020, 05:49:08 am »
Replaying Doom 2016 now to get ready for Doom: Eternal next month.

Still holds up pretty well after 4 years. It got a remastered update for the Xbox One S/X as well
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #500 on: February 6, 2020, 08:01:43 am »
Assassins Creed: Odyssey

It’s a wonderful game, huge scope, beautiful world, variety of things to do and a good story. I’m hooked.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #501 on: February 6, 2020, 09:34:18 am »
Replaying XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN

Awesomeness!

Is a great game, much better than UFO: Enemy Unknown which I remember being nearly impossible

and then XCOM 2 came out with those stupid ass time limited missions and buggered it all up for me :/

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #502 on: February 6, 2020, 09:37:20 am »

It’s a wonderful game, huge scope, beautiful world, variety of things to do and a good story. I’m hooked.

The only thing that really annoyed me about it was how the Discovery tour was done compared to Origins and they didn't really cover the Mythical creatures at all!!!! The atmosphere they could have created telling the story of Perseus and Medusa, Theseus and the Minotaur etc would have been amazing. No idea why they didn't do it

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: February 6, 2020, 09:44:16 am »
The only thing that really annoyed me about it was how the Discovery tour was done compared to Origins and they didn't really cover the Mythical creatures at all!!!! The atmosphere they could have created telling the story of Perseus and Medusa, Theseus and the Minotaur etc would have been amazing. No idea why they didn't do it

I dunno, I kind of like ACO just because it's not brimming with monsters -no spoilers, I'm not quite halfway, I suspect there are mythical monsters but I'm seriously loving the world, real-world characters and real-world (ish) history and architecture. So I think that was a good choice  :)

Replaying Doom 2016 now to get ready for Doom: Eternal next month.

Still holds up pretty well after 4 years. It got a remastered update for the Xbox One S/X as well

Snap  ;) All the previews of Eternal touch on how it's even faster and prettier and cooler than Doom2016. Man, these four years have just flown by, but it's held up well and I am excited for how much further Eternal goes. Sounds hardcore!

Might grab Eternal off CDKeys, deluxe there is the same as the normal game elsewhere (deluxe guarantees the 2 DLCs that come with the season pass)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #504 on: February 6, 2020, 11:42:21 am »

I’ve not played Origins ;D

Only had two AC games before this, Unity (which I loved) and Syndicate (which I found dull and clunky).

For the £16 it cost it’s been superb value for money.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #505 on: February 6, 2020, 11:54:40 am »
Whilst I wait for FF VII Remake, TLOU2 and Cyberpunk I am on:

SMITE
Apex Season 4
Rocket League
Civ 6

All stuff I can play with pals atm, nothing single player atm taking my fancy however I do have DMC 5 which I havent really played

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: February 6, 2020, 12:00:35 pm »
Got a few on the go at the minute:

Jedi Fallen Order
Jurassic World Evolution
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Red Dead 2

Waiting for Two Point Hospital to launch on Xbox later this month (on Gamepass as well) as it is a quality game

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: February 6, 2020, 01:07:12 pm »
Still just Death Stranding at the minute for me.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: February 6, 2020, 04:07:31 pm »
Playing and loving the latest God of War on PS4

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: February 9, 2020, 05:31:50 pm »

Good story?  Really?  I'd agree that it's a beautiful world, in fact probably the most beautiful I've seen in a game (though unmodded the color palette is ridiculously bright and oversaturated) but the writing is some of the worst that I've ever seen in a AAA title, both the story and the horribly written characters.  I've literally sat there saying 'what the fuck?' out loud for a number of the cutscenes.  I've enjoyed playing it, but it could have been so much better without Ubisofts signature half-arsedness running throughout it.  They really do frustrate me as a company, because they build these absolutely wonderful settings with amazing attention to detail within the world itself....and then lazily fill those worlds with dull cut and paste quests, shite writing and the like.   
« Last Edit: February 9, 2020, 05:38:31 pm by Darren G »

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #510 on: February 10, 2020, 12:31:37 pm »

I felt the same at first and I ended up despising it by the end.

Spoiler
The endless grind and the endless fetch quests and the stupid characters and the stupid sex scenes which were obviously written intending you to play as Alexios, absolutely ridiculous if you played as Kass, and the goddamn "ending".
[close]

One of the most frustrating and irritating games I've ever played. Oh, and the horse riding is an absolute chore.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 12:34:21 pm by Snail »

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #511 on: February 10, 2020, 12:33:38 pm »
Good story?  Really?  I'd agree that it's a beautiful world, in fact probably the most beautiful I've seen in a game (though unmodded the color palette is ridiculously bright and oversaturated) but the writing is some of the worst that I've ever seen in a AAA title, both the story and the horribly written characters.  I've literally sat there saying 'what the fuck?' out loud for a number of the cutscenes.  I've enjoyed playing it, but it could have been so much better without Ubisofts signature half-arsedness running throughout it.  They really do frustrate me as a company, because they build these absolutely wonderful settings with amazing attention to detail within the world itself....and then lazily fill those worlds with dull cut and paste quests, shite writing and the like.   

Yeah, all of this.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: February 10, 2020, 01:12:44 pm »
I felt the same at first and I ended up despising it by the end.

Spoiler
The endless grind and the endless fetch quests and the stupid characters and the stupid sex scenes which were obviously written intending you to play as Alexios, absolutely ridiculous if you played as Kass, and the goddamn "ending".
[close]

One of the most frustrating and irritating games I've ever played. Oh, and the horse riding is an absolute chore.

Can't disagree more - Odyssey was good, involving, I like the plot (bit predictable but oh well). Dialogue great, Kassandra so warm, and the relationships feel, generally, fine. (Kassandra is the canon main character)

As for horse riding being a chore - er, I came to it after Red Dead 2. You press a button to get on a horse and aim it, you don't even need to press anything to gallow... shrug, don't know how that's a chore, besides, I started my game just unlocking all the fast travel spots

Maybe if you hammer the main quest the edges show more, and sure, a lot of the quests are the boring old fetchquests; I get that. But that's why I space it out with exploration, fighting mercenaries and cultists  :)

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: February 10, 2020, 03:43:34 pm »
Ubisoft need to lay off the massive open world games to be honest. They’ve overdone it this generation and I hope they start being more creative with their games because they do get some things right but other things terribly wrong.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: February 10, 2020, 03:44:22 pm »
At least they take breaks now. Ass Creed Od was better just cause they slowed down from the mad yearly schedule

Far Cry 5 was shite mind

Jury's out on Watch Dogs Brexit, it's late. WD2 was OK but sub-GTAV

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: February 10, 2020, 04:06:54 pm »
At least they take breaks now. Ass Creed Od was better just cause they slowed down from the mad yearly schedule

Far Cry 5 was shite mind

Jury's out on Watch Dogs Brexit, it's late. WD2 was OK but sub-GTAV

Ghost Recon Breakpoint forced them to delay all upcoming games because of the sales and reception of it. Hopefully they’ve learnt and will make improvements.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: February 10, 2020, 04:19:53 pm »
Making my way through The Witcher 3 once more  :D

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #517 on: February 10, 2020, 06:18:22 pm »
Got the Spiderman GOTY edition for 20 quid before, so gonna fire that up next...
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: February 10, 2020, 08:09:07 pm »
Been playing Unchartered Lost Legacy the last days on PS Now.

The only Unchartered game i never got round to buying.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: February 10, 2020, 08:19:29 pm »
Ubisoft need to lay off the massive open world games to be honest. They’ve overdone it this generation and I hope they start being more creative with their games because they do get some things right but other things terribly wrong.
I hate Ubisoft full stop.

The new direction they went with the R6 franchise, they changed the whole mechanics from a arcade shooter to a full on aim down sights FPS.

I remember reading a development of the game R6 Patriots years before it came out, it was going to continue at the shooting from the hip style shooter like the Black Arrow, Lockdown and Vegas 1 & 2 games, and when the game was at a earlier stage two developers at Montreal Ubisoft were spanking everyone at the game there, so they scrapped R6 Patriots and decided to change the mechanics to FPS style and to go back to the early origins of the franchise with no respawns and that became R6 Siege.

R6 Vegas 1 & 2 are my favourite shooters of all time.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."