Author Topic: New signings and progress  (Read 46175 times)

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
Re: New signings and progress
« Reply #480 on: November 20, 2011, 02:32:28 am »
Why does the official site post articles about who we're linked to from newspapers? The main site has an article saying we're linked to Eric Abidal according to the Mirror. Surely they have a bit of insight as to who's on a watch list and there's no point in them fuelling rumours in this way? Or is it simply a method to try drive traffic into the site?

It's to confuse the enemy:) probably some sun Tzu tactic...

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #481 on: November 20, 2011, 03:00:58 pm »
you appear to have a problem with me which is disapointing I thought we were getting on betterer?

No problem with you personally. I respect your purist views and I think you're a fine writer/responder. However, the fact is that all the time you appear compelled to revel in semantics and take comments out of their context and/or entirely misrepresent what people have said with the seeming objective of discrediting their opinion and validating your own opinion. And, frankly, I find that aspect a complete pain in the arse .

This latest post and others on the subject of Lucas are typical. You represent me - solely to discredit the reliability of my opinion - as if I have stated Lucas hasn't improved when I actually said no such thing. I said I considered his improvement had merely followed the orthodox trajectory of any young emerging player - as distinct, that is, from some miraculous transformation.

So are your responses clever? Yes, sure, in a perverse sort of way. Entertaining? Yeah - more often than not. Job done from your point of view? Yeah, pretty well – unless, that is, somebody takes the time and trouble to go through the actuality and represent it fully. But that is ball aching and besides, if confronted by a true representation of what has been said , as happened say several times with Subroc, you merely repeat a similar cycle of relentless misrepresentation all over again  :)

And so, at the same time as it’s prima facie smart and entertaining, it is also, of course, dishonest, misrepresentative, misleading, frustrating to whoever it is you're "debating with" and plain wrong.

Meanwhile, my own magnanimity [believe me the sole reason things had gotten betterer] regarding your insufferable twisting and distorting of others words and meanings, has dissipated. Hence, the apparent turn around.

That's about it, I guess.

:)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 03:15:45 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #482 on: November 20, 2011, 03:02:30 pm »
I reckon your first impression was correct.  :boxhead. No reason but I just love this smiley and use it randomly  :boxhead

So that's who it was walking past with the Bran Flakes box on his head.

;D

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: November 20, 2011, 07:53:10 pm »
No problem with you personally. I respect your purist views and I think you're a fine writer/responder. However, the fact is that all the time you appear compelled to revel in semantics and take comments out of their context and/or entirely misrepresent what people have said with the seeming objective of discrediting their opinion and validating your own opinion. And, frankly, I find that aspect a complete pain in the arse .

This latest post and others on the subject of Lucas are typical. You represent me - solely to discredit the reliability of my opinion - as if I have stated Lucas hasn't improved when I actually said no such thing. I said I considered his improvement had merely followed the orthodox trajectory of any young emerging player - as distinct, that is, from some miraculous transformation.

So are your responses clever? Yes, sure, in a perverse sort of way. Entertaining? Yeah - more often than not. Job done from your point of view? Yeah, pretty well – unless, that is, somebody takes the time and trouble to go through the actuality and represent it fully. But that is ball aching and besides, if confronted by a true representation of what has been said , as happened say several times with Subroc, you merely repeat a similar cycle of relentless misrepresentation all over again  :)

And so, at the same time as it’s prima facie smart and entertaining, it is also, of course, dishonest, misrepresentative, misleading, frustrating to whoever it is you're "debating with" and plain wrong.

Meanwhile, my own magnanimity [believe me the sole reason things had gotten betterer] regarding your insufferable twisting and distorting of others words and meanings, has dissipated. Hence, the apparent turn around.

That's about it, I guess.

weird because I started on this thread because of exactly that type of post being posted - subroc in particlular will meticiously disect a post, place his own interpretation on it and argue from there claiming it to be neutral when it clearly is not. Now if you agree with him thats great - if not I guess you find yourself in the same frustrating place as you when trying to get your point across - somebody that  doesn't agree distorts words is insufferable,  isn't playing by the rules and and is a pain in the arse.

when you only have words and no body language or facial expression semantics, the context and the actual words used become the few things you have left to work on. I'm not wasting my time on here to argue semantics I waste my time on here trying to help others see what supporting this club should be about imho - I normally stay well away but the kneejerking and intolerance in our support of late is sickening - so you either give up or try to make a difference

I didn't try to turn this into a Lucas debate, he was one example to show a point - I wonder what would have happened if I'd picked Insua - my use of english is poor - writing on these boards has shown me that many times - there are many more concise and articulate than me - I tend to be verbose and imprecise - I'm trying to improve its just not working out

the idea that anybody can assess a 'standard trajectory' on little to no information is the whole point - what was Insua's standard trajectory? Or Paletta or Leto or Gonzalez or Morientes or Josemi or Babel or Voronin or a personal favourite Stan Collymore - Stan could have been the best player in the premiership - he had everything - see him one game and he's a world beater but he had frogs between his ears - another of those would be Diouf describe his game and you'd think you had a world beater on your hands,  african player of the year, twice was it, 2 goals on his debut? we know how he turned out. Its a crap shoot.

A standard trajectory for who - how many successful young south american imports from Brazil have we had? Scratch that how many in the Prem? Denilson was our first choice ahead of Lucas wasn't he? The Capt of their U18 side - we only missed out on him because Arsenal offered him more wages - didn't he just have to follow a standard trajectory?

That does not mean you can't guess how a player is goinf to turn out but have some humility about it - recognise the fact that it is a guess, that there are others better informed and more experienced who are better placed to judge - I've never claimed to be one of them, infact I'm pretty crap at judging still dont understand how aldo scored so many, I'm just somebody who recognises its a crap shoot - I have similar arguments with those who say that sub should have been used or why didn't he start - they are arguing for something from a position of near blissful ignorance - have a view but dont assume it's bloody right ffs

which all boils down to the old mantra - if you believe in the management of this club then show that belief by supporting them, giving them the benefit of the doubt and simply not assuming you somehow miraculously (because you dont have anywhere near the experience, information or skill of the professionals involved)  know better than them - thats not a big ask - I dont even see how thats even controversial - they are certainly not 'purist' views - they used to be called normal until the me, me, me now now now culture of TV football.

you think you've been magnanimous - go back through the last few pages and see who's been personally and directly insulted the most and more often than not by you - magnanimous eh?

anyway lucky win today - those new signings eh?

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #484 on: November 20, 2011, 08:53:27 pm »
Interesting that 3 of Kenny's 5 signings were on the bench for most of the match today.  They were alos the most expensive 3 as well.

Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline fefs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #485 on: November 20, 2011, 09:45:09 pm »
Interesting that 3 of Kenny's 5 signings were on the bench for most of the match today.  They were alos the most expensive 3 as well.

Also interesting that Enrique , Adam, Suarez and Bellamy all started the match, no ?

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #486 on: November 20, 2011, 10:07:54 pm »
Also interesting that Enrique , Adam, Suarez and Bellamy all started the match, no ?

Suarez isn't really a Kenny signing is he? I may be wrong, but I thought he was scouted by Comolli under Roy to play with Torres.  So my point stands.
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #487 on: November 20, 2011, 10:09:04 pm »
Suarez isn't really a Kenny signing is he? I may be wrong, but I thought he was scouted by Comolli under Roy to play with Torres.  So my point stands.

Its not a very good point though.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: November 20, 2011, 10:09:44 pm »

Roy who had no idea who Suarez was?

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #489 on: November 20, 2011, 10:14:38 pm »
Its not a very good point though.

OK, I'm not even sure what my point was now!  I'll go quietly....... ;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #490 on: November 20, 2011, 11:58:06 pm »
weird because I started on this thread because of exactly that type of post being posted - subroc in particlular will meticiously disect a post, place his own interpretation on it and argue from there claiming it to be neutral when it clearly is not. Now if you agree with him thats great - if not I guess you find yourself in the same frustrating place as you when trying to get your point across - somebody that  doesn't agree distorts words is insufferable,  isn't playing by the rules and and is a pain in the arse.

when you only have words and no body language or facial expression semantics, the context and the actual words used become the few things you have left to work on. I'm not wasting my time on here to argue semantics I waste my time on here trying to help others see what supporting this club should be about imho - I normally stay well away but the kneejerking and intolerance in our support of late is sickening - so you either give up or try to make a difference

I didn't try to turn this into a Lucas debate, he was one example to show a point - I wonder what would have happened if I'd picked Insua - my use of english is poor - writing on these boards has shown me that many times - there are many more concise and articulate than me - I tend to be verbose and imprecise - I'm trying to improve its just not working out

the idea that anybody can assess a 'standard trajectory' on little to no information is the whole point - what was Insua's standard trajectory? Or Paletta or Leto or Gonzalez or Morientes or Josemi or Babel or Voronin or a personal favourite Stan Collymore - Stan could have been the best player in the premiership - he had everything - see him one game and he's a world beater but he had frogs between his ears - another of those would be Diouf describe his game and you'd think you had a world beater on your hands,  african player of the year, twice was it, 2 goals on his debut? we know how he turned out. Its a crap shoot.

A standard trajectory for who - how many successful young south american imports from Brazil have we had? Scratch that how many in the Prem? Denilson was our first choice ahead of Lucas wasn't he? The Capt of their U18 side - we only missed out on him because Arsenal offered him more wages - didn't he just have to follow a standard trajectory?

That does not mean you can't guess how a player is goinf to turn out but have some humility about it - recognise the fact that it is a guess, that there are others better informed and more experienced who are better placed to judge - I've never claimed to be one of them, infact I'm pretty crap at judging still dont understand how aldo scored so many, I'm just somebody who recognises its a crap shoot - I have similar arguments with those who say that sub should have been used or why didn't he start - they are arguing for something from a position of near blissful ignorance - have a view but dont assume it's bloody right ffs

which all boils down to the old mantra - if you believe in the management of this club then show that belief by supporting them, giving them the benefit of the doubt and simply not assuming you somehow miraculously (because you dont have anywhere near the experience, information or skill of the professionals involved)  know better than them - thats not a big ask - I dont even see how thats even controversial - they are certainly not 'purist' views - they used to be called normal until the me, me, me now now now culture of TV football.

you think you've been magnanimous - go back through the last few pages and see who's been personally and directly insulted the most and more often than not by you - magnanimous eh?

anyway lucky win today - those new signings eh?

[/quote]

Not wishing to be patronising V but that's a great post. Interesting points well made, not in the least misrepresentative :) but I think, most strikingly, full of honest reflections. It's how I seem to remember your posts from a few years back. Think it was in the early days of the doubts over where the money was going under Hicks and Gillette.

Anyroad, as for the match itself. Terrific performance in two contrasting halfs - one mainly on the front foot and one mainly on the back foot. Absolutely delighted with the overall level of team performance. I don't like to single one player out after such a team effort - and there were many fine individual displays - but I thought Charlie Adam gave as good a central midfield performance as I've seen for ages.

This was particularly the case in the first half but even in the second when we were under the cosh at times he answered everything thrown at him and the 9 iron to johnson was just delicious.  It did seem that the extra pressing of those in front of him - Maxi, Suarez, Bellamy and Kuyt brought out an extra dimension to his game. As you know from my own posts it's the line up I've been craving ever since we saw it in action at Brighton. I have to say I do pray Kenny runs with it for a bit and allows the three big signings to come on and complement it - like Jordan did today - until the overall level is well embedded and they've developed a real feel and taste for what's required.

I promise, though, if he doesn't I won't come on here whingeing.

;D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 12:16:48 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #491 on: November 27, 2011, 11:49:04 pm »
I was just thinking that in the last two games we haven't missed Meireles, have we?

Downing also showed signs of major improvement as the City game wore off; perhaps he's on the path of regaining his form of last year.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: November 27, 2011, 11:51:09 pm »
I was just thinking that in the last two games we haven't missed Meireles, have we?

Downing also showed signs of major improvement as the City game wore off; perhaps he's on the path of regaining his form of last year.

He's kind of scared to run at defenders to try to beat 'em, lack of confidence definitely.

He also likes to run inside a lot too into nowhere which gets one me nerves, a few times today he lost it due to just running into 3 or 4 city defenders in the centre when there was an opportunity to run at Richards one on one, was fairly decent today though put in a good shift down the left hand side both attackingly (is that even a word?) and defensively,

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: November 27, 2011, 11:54:41 pm »
He's kind of scared to run at defenders to try to beat 'em, lack of confidence definitely.

He also likes to run inside a lot too into nowhere which gets one me nerves, a few times today he lost it due to just running into 3 or 4 city defenders in the centre when there was an opportunity to run at Richards one on one, was fairly decent today though put in a good shift down the left hand side both attackingly (is that even a word?) and defensively,

Maybe he really has problems playing on the left as he pointed out himself that he is prefering playing on the right.

Maybe Kenny should try Maxi on the left and Downing on the right, maybe together with Carroll and Kuyt upront in order to give Suarez a rest and Downing an opportunity on the right.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10