Author Topic: Dead musician tribute thread  (Read 9372 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Dead musician tribute thread
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2023, 09:51:57 pm »
RIP

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2023, 09:55:44 pm »
Icon
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2023, 10:12:47 pm »
Just reading that Ike played no part in the recording of River Deep, Mountain High as Spector paid him to stay away. Those two maniacs in the same cramped studio was a recipe for disaster.

I saw the Ike and Tina review at the Southport Floral Hall in 1968. A fantastic show with Tina talking centre stage and the Ikettes providing the backing vocals. Ike lurked around playing guitar and looking sinister.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2023, 11:02:53 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline sheepfest

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2023, 11:51:43 pm »
RIP Simply the Best

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2023, 12:18:25 am »
If you went to a wedding in Australia anytime from the 1970's to now you probably been dragged up to do the Nutbush City Limits dance.

She literally helped transport men's rugby league in Australia in the late 80's through the 90's. She started with 'What You Get Is What You See' in '89 through to singing 'Simply The Best' at the '95 Grand Final. Her influence was rumoured to be a 60% bump in female followers of the sport.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/simply-the-best-nrl-world-mourns-tina-turner-who-changed-rugby-league-forever/news-story/7dc866910cfd6f0f0b7edf13f5d70260
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2023, 01:02:15 am »
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2023, 02:29:22 am »
My mate Dave Keyes was her keyboardist and musical director.

RIP Tina.
Kill the humourless

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2023, 07:48:38 am »
RIP Tina, absolute legend and an inspiration to woman.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2023, 09:34:49 am »
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2023, 09:43:36 am »

RIP Tina.

8)

a powerhouse of a woman with a tremendous stage presence and a voice to match

she took back control of her life and went from strength to strength

rest in peace
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2023, 03:27:44 am »
Damn RIP.
https://louderthanwar.com/algy-ward-the-damned-the-saints-rip/
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gc0och2Q_zg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gc0och2Q_zg</a>

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: June 6, 2023, 06:09:20 pm »
Astrud Gilberto has passed today. For those who don’t know of her influence on music, she was one of the most important figures of the bossa nova movement, she worked with Antonio Carlos Jobim on developing bossa nova, a musical style that combined Brazilian samba rhythms and jazz.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: June 8, 2023, 02:28:17 pm »
Tony McPhee of the Groundhogs. Great guitarist

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #54 on: July 3, 2023, 10:54:21 am »
Rick Froberg from Drive Like Jehu and Hot Snakes. Only 55.

Hot Snakes the night after Istanbul is still the best gig I was ever at. RIP

Him and John Reiss (Rocket from the Crypt) might be the best post-hardcore guitar/vocals duo ever. Nearly invented a whole genre. Absolutely gutted about this. Will never see them together again.
« Last Edit: July 3, 2023, 10:59:21 am by Jean Girard »
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 4, 2023, 04:16:06 pm »
Rick Froberg from Drive Like Jehu and Hot Snakes. Only 55.

Hot Snakes the night after Istanbul is still the best gig I was ever at. RIP

Him and John Reiss (Rocket from the Crypt) might be the best post-hardcore guitar/vocals duo ever. Nearly invented a whole genre. Absolutely gutted about this. Will never see them together again.

Ah this is too bad,RIP.I  saw Drive Like Jehu sometime way back when at The Middle East club in Cambridge,Yank Crime was a great record.I have drifted away from that style but gonna give it a play.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2023, 01:48:45 pm »
RIP Tony Bennett.

96 is a good innings.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2023, 01:51:09 pm »
Legend . RIP.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2023, 06:53:35 pm »
RIP Tony Bennett.

96 is a good innings.

Fuck's sake

Which has quite the piled up inventory by now

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2023, 08:29:01 am »
Randy Meisner has passed away. Aged 77

Founder member and Bassist of “Eagles”.  He also Co-wrote and sang lead vocal on “Take it to the limit”.

RIP

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #60 on: August 9, 2023, 09:38:43 pm »
RIP Robbie Robertson of The Band.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TCSzL5-SPHM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TCSzL5-SPHM</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #61 on: August 9, 2023, 10:13:53 pm »
At Bob's instruction, he played it fucking loud at the Manchester Free Trade Hall that night. They were just kids, you know. Robbie was 23, Bob not quite 25.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cl2_1V7zjSs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cl2_1V7zjSs</a>
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #62 on: August 9, 2023, 10:16:02 pm »
RIP Robbie Robertson of The Band.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TCSzL5-SPHM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TCSzL5-SPHM</a>

Ah, that’s sad. What a tune.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: August 9, 2023, 11:40:42 pm »
I've watched The Last Waltz a thousand times.  No exaggeration.

I love Levon's upbeat/offbeat stuff.  Rag Mama Rag, Carnival, Milk Cow Boogie, Ophelia, Don't Do It.  Just goes on.

Used to see him often with the Cate Brothers

Robbie was the disciplined glue that kept those maniacs together.

R.I.P.
Kill the humourless

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2023, 12:38:37 am »
RIP

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2023, 01:42:35 am »
First Gordon now Robbie. My god, it's been a shit year to be a fan of Canadian music.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2023, 03:14:12 am »
Rodriguez died yesterday :(

Damn man I loved his music

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2023, 10:53:47 am »
DJ Casper of "Cha Cha Slide" fame died the other day after a long fight with liver and kidney cancer.

R.I.P 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/aug/08/dj-casper-who-had-no-1-hit-with-cha-cha-slide-dies-aged-58

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2023, 06:52:50 pm »
Bernie Marsden has passed away at 72 RIP.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2023, 08:52:36 pm »
Bernie Marsden has passed away at 72 RIP.
Great guitarist and a lovely fella. RIP 

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #70 on: September 4, 2023, 08:37:58 pm »
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #71 on: September 4, 2023, 09:00:35 pm »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 5, 2023, 08:16:28 am »
I remember those 2 Smash Mouth songs, they got loads of airplay on Radio 1 back in the day.

I'll give those a few listens on Spotify today.

RIP.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 9, 2023, 07:24:11 am »
A few words about an underappreciated genius.  Warren Zevon, gone 20 years ago at 56.

Bob Dylan, a long admirer of his, even plays harmonica on “The Factory” from Zevon’s sixth album Sentimental Hygiene, which also features R.E.M.‘s Peter Buck, Mike Mills, and Bill Berry, who had briefly played with Zevon on their side project Hindu Love Gods from 1984 through 1990.

“There might be three separate songs within a Zevon song, but they’re all effortlessly connected,” said Bob Dylan of Zevon in 2009. Dylan would also return “Zevon was a musician’s musician, a tortured one. ‘Desperado Under the Eaves.’ It’s all in there. … ‘Lawyers, Guns and Money,’ ‘Boom Boom Mancini,’ ‘Down Hard Stuff,’ ‘Join me in L.A.’ sort of straddles the line between heartfelt and primeval.”

Though he never had a No. 1 hit, Zevon continued expanding his catalog with stickier black humor and unfriendly pop scopes that glued a long line of collaborators and devotees — Neil Young, David Gilmour, Jerry Garcia, Linda Ronstadt, Steve Lukather, Graham Nash, and Chick Corea, among many others.

For his penultimate release, My Ride’s Here, Zevon even enlisted some of his friends, the late Hunter S. Thompson, novelist Carl Hiaasen, and David Letterman.

After being diagnosed with cancer, Zevon had a last burst of songs and feverishly wrote his final opus, often working around recording equipment set up near his bed when he couldn’t make it to a studio. “I’ve been working frantically,” quipped Zevon. “But you know, imminent doom lowers the bar a bit.”

On The Wind, Henley and Browne, along with Bruce Springsteen, Dwight Yoakam, Billy Bob Thornton, Tom Petty and Mike Campbell, Joe Walsh, and many more helped send Zevon off.

The Wind later picked up two Grammys for Best Contemporary Folk Album and Best Rock Vocal Performance (Group or Duo) for his duet with Springsteen on “Disorder in the House.”

“I feel the opposite of regret,” said Zevon of his career. “I was the hardest-living rock on my block for a while. I was a malfunctioning rummy for a while and running away for a while. Then, for 18 years, I was a sober dad of some amazing kids. Hey, I feel like I’ve lived a couple of lives. And now when people listen to the music they’ll say, ‘Hey maybe the guy wasn’t being so morbid after all.’ ”
Kill the humourless

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2023, 07:01:34 am »
Nice one, JB.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2023, 01:28:40 pm »
Brian Wilson so strung out on drugs he forgot he met John Lennon THREE times at same party: ‘He was toasted by demons and lost in a fog!’
Story by BANG Showbiz •
21h

Brian Wilson was so drug-addled he forgot he had met John Lennon three times at the same party.

The Beach Boys icon, 81, suffers schizoaffective disorder and mild bipolar disorder after his years strung out on drugs, and started having hallucinations aged 22 about a week after he started his use of psychedelics in early-1965.

Sir Elton John’s long-time lyricist Bernie Taupin, 73, said in his new memoir ‘Scattershot: Life, Music, Elton and Me’ about repeatedly introducing him to Lennon at a celebrity bash in the US: “It was all terribly Hollywood with an array of current celebs and beautiful people relaxing, and as is always the norm at such events – the air of ‘I belong’ and ‘I don’t wish to seem impressed that John Lennon and David Bowie are mingling in my branded space’ was evident.

“In all honesty it was an airy to-do that was quite jolly and easy going until the somewhat hefty presence of Brian Wilson plopped down beside me and whispered breathlessly into my ear, ‘Bernie, Bernie, will you introduce me to John Lennon?’

“I’d met Brian on several occasions, and we were acquainted to the point of nodding acknowledgment and casual conversation.

“I was also convinced in this instant that there must most certainly have been some time in the not-distant-past that the Beatle and Beach Boy had crossed paths.

“But then this was Brian Wilson circa 1975: the acid aftermath, the paranoia, the sandbox years.

“Still a lovely man, and in spite of being toasted by demons and lost in a fog of fragility, he was still someone to respect deeply and treat with TLC.

“So naturally, I acquiesced and turned to John relaying that Brian would like to say hello, and of course, he did gently and pleasantly with no hint of surprise at the request.

“They conversed briefly and very soon John and I found ourselves in some other corner of the room where Brian found me and whispered once again into my ear that he’d like to meet John Lennon.”

Bernie added about agreeing to introduce Brian two more times to the Beatles singer he’d just met: “Surprised but not terribly unprepared given the individual at hand, I remained unfazed and once more turned to my party date inquiring with a raised eyebrow if he would once more like to meet Brian Wilson?

“Similarly unruffled but obviously amused, introductions were made and small talk was made.

“Groundhog Day resumed and not more than 10 minutes later Brian, wide-eyed and insistent, waylaid me pleading in no uncertain terms that he must be introduced to John Lennon.

“It was somewhat unnerving, but still harbouring the belief that the genius that was Brian Wilson was temporarily on vacation, what could I do?

“Slightly exhausted but prepared to remain sympathetic, I approached John and ventured somewhat uncomfortably to once more relay Brian’s request.

“Straight-faced and unwavering, John once more turned to engage the clearly overheated Beach Boy.”

But Bernie said about drawing a line at introducing Brian again to John: “Before long he was back and we made a beeline for the door rather than fall into the same trap a fourth time.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/reviews/brian-wilson-so-strung-out-on-drugs-he-forgot-he-met-john-lennon-three-times-at-same-party-he-was-toasted-by-demons-and-lost-in-a-fog/ar-AA1gBHt3?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=b7b18f07fd7f443e99277b10da16dff3&ei=73
Kill the humourless

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2023, 05:21:46 pm »
I heard about this on Riley and Coe last night,https://louderthanwar.com/geoff-davies-probe-records-rip/. Huge influence on Liverpool Punk/Post Punk scene,RIP.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2023, 07:02:17 pm »
I heard about this on Riley and Coe last night,https://louderthanwar.com/geoff-davies-probe-records-rip/. Huge influence on Liverpool Punk/Post Punk scene,RIP.
I was just coming in to post about Geoff passing. His ex partner, Annie passed away not long ago also. Everyone who loved music and bought records lived in and loved this place. Always had time for a chat and a laugh. The best record/clothes shop in the city.

For those who don't know Pete Burns had a little clothes store down the left hand side of the shop. Another who is still much missed.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 07:04:43 pm by Baby Huey »

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2023, 04:58:53 pm »
Just saw that Kim Simmonds, a seminal proponent of the Blues died earlier in the year.

One of the few Taffys or Brits that made it bigger in the U.S than back home.

His Savoy Brown band put out 50 albums with gems on each.

Unappreciated doesn't come close.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Rwdg0-b6910" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Rwdg0-b6910</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9uXhGdczbco" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9uXhGdczbco</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xDw3nDV5tV8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xDw3nDV5tV8</a>
Kill the humourless

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2023, 09:16:36 pm »

RIP Tina.
Apt name.