Author Topic: Ted Lasso  (Read 6293 times)

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ted Lasso
« on: January 5, 2022, 10:54:56 am »
FOOTBALL IS LIFE!

Great show. Thought it would be a bit cringe as a football fan but it's enjoyable and very funny. If you buy an Apple device you get 3 months free Apple TV or I believe there's a free month when you signup anyway.

Highly recommend.
YNWA.

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
Re: Ted Lasso
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2022, 11:09:48 am »
Really don't know what to make of this show. On the one hand the actually football content, the fans and the American in London stuff makes me cringe but on the other I binged it all within a few days and I found it to be such a comforting show. When it did venture towards any serious issue, I loved it.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2022, 11:32:15 am »
A bit too sweet at times but it is wholesome and enjoyable. The owner of the club is fit.

Offline RedGuy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2022, 11:36:13 am »
I was very wary about this as it's supposedly an American show about football, but once I started watching I couldn't stop. Great show.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4 on: January 5, 2022, 12:13:18 pm »
I spent the first few episodes wondering who the show was really for, as it's a very American style of comedy, but you do have to understand a little bit about football (which isn't a knock on all Americans, but you have to admit it's not a target market most companies would pay big bucks to chase). There's also a lot of cliche in some of the characters (players, fans, etc).

It is pretty engrossing though, and I did end up watching both seasons through pretty quickly. I found the last episode of S2 a bloody difficult thing to watch however from a personal perpective. In a sort of good way, though.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #5 on: January 5, 2022, 03:42:00 pm »
I actually auditioned to play Roy Kent in this show, I clearly didn't get it haha.

Yeah, like others I enjoyed it when I watched it but, It's a little too sweet at times which I wasn't expecting at all. Especially being a fan of when he originally played the character in the Fox Soccer Channel sketches back when I was in college in the States in 2009.  Totally different vibe.

I must check out the second season as I've only seen the first.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 6, 2022, 07:55:40 pm »
I actually auditioned to play Roy Kent in this show, I clearly didn't get it haha.

even being considered is really cool mate, hopefully something better in the pipeline  :)
YNWA.

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: January 7, 2022, 05:53:16 pm »
even being considered is really cool mate, hopefully something better in the pipeline  :)

Cheers, mate.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: January 7, 2022, 06:48:31 pm »
Bugs me a bit that they are meant to be a PL side but basically play and train in a tin pot stadium. Other than that, it's an easy watch show with some laughs.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #9 on: January 7, 2022, 06:52:25 pm »
Bugs me a bit that they are meant to be a PL side but basically play and train in a tin pot stadium. Other than that, it's an easy watch show with some laughs.
It’s more about the realationships between the management staff, players, the owner and the every day life experiences they experience which makes the show as great as it is. The football element is of less importance and has to be taken with a pinch of salt.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 7, 2022, 07:09:49 pm »

Selhurst Park isn't that bad
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 7, 2022, 09:44:16 pm »
It’s a lovely, feel-good show. Like many others, I thought I’d hate it and it would be crap. I binged two season in just a few weeks. Brilliant stuff. Can’t wait for season 3.

Keeley’s character is fantastic.
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #12 on: January 7, 2022, 09:46:39 pm »
I really liked the first season but I thought the second was a bit shite.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #13 on: January 7, 2022, 10:16:18 pm »
I really enjoyed it, preferred the first series to the second but there was plenty to enjoy in both. The performances by the cast are excellent too.

Spoiler
I wasn't really sure about the Nate arc in series 2. I can understand that he felt marginalised and they laid a few breadcrumbs (the suit, when Roy came back etc) but in the first series he was presented as this shy, nervous kitman who was given the opportunity of a lifetime by a really decent person, to the extent he becomes a first team coach and eventually receives credit on tv/social media for his work. He goes from being the target of abuse from the players to someone they respect/like and really he owes it all to Ted. I know they hinted at it a bit when he told off the new kitman, but by the end of the series he's become this really bitter, unpleasant twat and it seemed very jarring.

I appreciate that in the first series there's a "villain" and the story is about how she becomes a "good guy" and so they needed some kind of dramatic story arc for the second series, but it just felt a bit forced. The plot around Ted's mental health felt enough, and much more relevant/significant.

Odds on the third series finishing with an FA Cup final between Richmond and West Ham...?
[close]
« Last Edit: January 7, 2022, 10:18:02 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 7, 2022, 10:37:05 pm »
I really enjoyed it, preferred the first series to the second but there was plenty to enjoy in both. The performances by the cast are excellent too.

Spoiler
I wasn't really sure about the Nate arc in series 2. I can understand that he felt marginalised and they laid a few breadcrumbs (the suit, when Roy came back etc) but in the first series he was presented as this shy, nervous kitman who was given the opportunity of a lifetime by a really decent person, to the extent he becomes a first team coach and eventually receives credit on tv/social media for his work. He goes from being the target of abuse from the players to someone they respect/like and really he owes it all to Ted. I know they hinted at it a bit when he told off the new kitman, but by the end of the series he's become this really bitter, unpleasant twat and it seemed very jarring.

I appreciate that in the first series there's a "villain" and the story is about how she becomes a "good guy" and so they needed some kind of dramatic story arc for the second series, but it just felt a bit forced. The plot around Ted's mental health felt enough, and much more relevant/significant.

Odds on the third series finishing with an FA Cup final between Richmond and West Ham...?
[close]

Spoiler
I'd be surprised if they don't bring Nate's change to be the 'villain' back to him being bullied at some stage.
[close]
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 7, 2022, 11:50:01 pm »
Spoiler
with Nate even in season one, there's bits were he's downright nasty, when he lays into the team at Everton, which is seen as a win for him at the time. And in the final episode when he sees the new kit man, thinking he's been sacked he's about to unload a tirade at Rebecca until he realises he's been promoted.

Clearly prior to Ted under the previous owner and manager the club ran on a culture of bullying and belittling of staff such as Nate, so now Nate thinks that's how he needs to act to further his career.

Season 2, now sees him getting away with bullying the new kit man, despite knowing what issues caused him previously.

We see his relationship with his father, always looking for validation that isn't coming, and how Ted had become a surrogate father figure. (the entire series has continuing storylines of father figures and the effect on their 'children')

Whilst Ted didn't realise what was going on due to his own mental anguish, he did of course realise Nates potential and give him the ability to succeed.

The confrontation between them at the end was heartbreaking, 2 beloved characters torn apart. Nate upset his gift wasn't on Ted's desk whilst the viewer knew Ted had moved it to a much more prominent place in his home. And the line about how Ted should go home to his Son, when again the audience is very much aware of Ted's familial issues regarding his son, and his own father.

Anyhow, can't wait for season 3
[close]
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 05:14:29 pm »
Its about football the way Parks and Recreation is about local politics and outdoor facilities management.

And Roy Kent is genius. 

Offline Bullan

• I can't believe I ate the whole thing...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speed of The Sound Of Loneliness
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2022, 07:55:27 am »
I had to stop watching after the sportswashers were all over this show.
Had great potential but bought and paid for by those Abu Dhabi twats.
I hate every ape I see.
From chimpan-a to chimpan-z,
No, you'll never make a monkey out of me.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.
You finally made a monkey...

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 08:58:09 am »
I had to stop watching after the sportswashers were all over this show.
Had great potential but bought and paid for by those Abu Dhabi twats.

If you're talking about the Dubai Air story line I think you may have quit a bit too early.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Bullan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 09:04:48 am »
If you're talking about the Dubai Air story line I think you may have quit a bit too early.

No the Man City shit that's all over it.
I hate every ape I see.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 09:24:00 am »

It's a minor talking point in a fantastic TV show. It's a bit like writing off Sylvester Stallone's Cobra because its got Pepsi in in.

Offline Bullan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2022, 09:50:19 am »
It's a minor talking point in a fantastic TV show. It's a bit like writing off Sylvester Stallone's Cobra because its got Pepsi in in.

Not sure I get that reference but it turned me off the show.
I hate every ape I see.
Oh, my God, I was wrong,
It was Earth all along.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2023, 11:18:04 pm »
So, season 3 has started, but I may wait until it’s all out before watching.

I do loathe that Abu Dhabi are the rivals. No mention of us or the other Manchester club, which does please me.

What are thoughts on who’s being “copied”? I always think of Richmond as Brentford and Jamie Tart as Grealish.

Also, John’s post above is spot on regarding Nate. The bullied becomes the bully.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:29:26 pm by Brian Blessed »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2023, 11:28:12 pm »
Also, the actor playing Roy Kent is one of the main writers of Lasso.

And as an aside, if you like this, take a look at Shrinking, also on AppleTV. I watched the first couple, and thought it had a Ted Lasso vibe, despite being a very different setting. Turns out the at least one of the Ted Lasso creators are behind it, plus the actor who plays Roy Kent.

The tenth and final episode of season one is out on Friday, so it’s ripe for binging.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2023, 11:42:08 pm »
I thought in season one their tongue was too deep in S*n's arse
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2023, 11:52:50 pm »

Is there an appropriate depth for that sort of thing?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2023, 12:10:46 am »

It’s been a bit, but I don’t recall the scum being in it.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2023, 02:13:28 am »
Jamie goes in to hug Roy and Roy pushes Jamie away...

Jamie 'Dickhead!'
Roy 'Fuck you doin'?'
Jamie 'Was gonna hug ya'
Roy 'Well ya came at me too fast'
Jamie 'Jesus, Sorry,...forgot how skittish elderly people could be cos of the War' ;D

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2023, 05:49:12 am »
Season 3 has started really well I think.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2023, 09:45:22 am »

What are thoughts on who’s being “copied”?

I think Roy Kent is meant to be Francis Benali.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2023, 09:57:59 am »
The shows good, not great but worth watching. It’s ridiculous to criticise it for some of the things in here though.

Man City are definitely the major Premier League team mentioned in it, but they also criticise the fictional Dubai Air sponsor as a storyline and show the Manc, Phil Foden type character, on the show to be a knob.

The stadium they play in his Selhurst Park, so definitely believable to be of a premier league quality. That’s not to be confused with the small stadium they train at, which is shown much more often during the show, despite confusingly having the exact same changing room setup.

They do mention the S*n, in season one, but only once and  the journalist shown is clearly a supposed to be a scumbag, who is more focused on scandal than actual reporting.

Also, for anyone who hasn’t read Ljinders book, ‘Intensity’, the LFC coaching staff are fans of the show with their WhatsApp Group called the Diamond Dogs.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 10:02:20 am by mikey_LFC »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2023, 10:40:51 pm »
Maybe i was too harsh with my first comment.

Just finished season two, and i got to say, it was pretty refreshing. Also it's brilliant the way they approached and brought to the surface that problem with panic attacks which is more and more common in society and really needs to be discussed more.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 4, 2023, 08:05:18 pm »

Yeah, that does irk me. Especially in scenes where it shows locals playing in a park and at least two of them will be wearing city shirts. I imagine the big clubs didn’t license their names as in S1/2 it’s like us, utd and Arsenal don’t exist.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #33 on: April 5, 2023, 12:01:19 am »
City probably have Bantr on their real-life sponsor books.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2023, 09:56:37 pm »
This new season has been pretty shite to be honest. Good time to end it.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2023, 07:34:26 pm »
They have turned it into Scrubs.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2023, 10:59:45 am »
They have turned it into Scrubs.

I assume bad Scrubs and no good Scrubs

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2023, 11:21:01 am »
I assume bad Scrubs and no good Scrubs

They are at the point where they are moving from good scrubs to bad scrubs

It makes sense because it's the same creator

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2023, 10:22:45 pm »
Also, the actor playing Roy Kent is one of the main writers of Lasso.

And as an aside, if you like this, take a look at Shrinking, also on AppleTV. I watched the first couple, and thought it had a Ted Lasso vibe, despite being a very different setting. Turns out the at least one of the Ted Lasso creators are behind it, plus the actor who plays Roy Kent.

The tenth and final episode of season one is out on Friday, so it’s ripe for binging.

Watched Shrinking. Enjoyed it a lot. Very easy watch with a good cast.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2023, 12:35:35 pm »

What are thoughts on who’s being “copied”? I always think of Richmond as Brentford and Jamie Tart as Grealish.

I hadn't thought about Grealish

Roy Kent is clearly Roy Keane

Zava is Zlatan Ibrahamovich. The quitting mid season reminded me of Tevez when he had a bit of a mental breakdown and just went home mid season.