Author Topic: Black Mirror Now on Netflix. Use spoiler tags.  (Read 58252 times)

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Black Mirror (S2)
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2013, 02:33:17 pm »
I thought the new episode was great.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2013, 10:43:39 pm »
Have to say I thought this episode was much stronger than any of the first series, surprised people are saying they found it to be the weakest.  Thought it was heartbreakingly beautiful and easily the most "mature" (best acted and directed) so far.

Each to their own though as with something so personal as this, preference could come down to how relateable each episode is to each person's life experience, I recently saw a family friend lose a husband, and seeing what she went through really made this episode hit home for me.

I thought it was the best of the four so far as well. This one felt a little more personal and married the bigger ideas with a deeply involving story. I've liked all of them so far, save for the Entire History of You which was good but nat as much as the others whilst I kind of knew where 15 Million Merits was going.

Spoiler
I know it's obvious but I thought they should have ended it on the cliff. I understand why they didn't and actually it was a lot braver to show what Martha decided to do in the end. I just though it posed too many questions.
[close]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:55:22 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2013, 05:03:22 am »
I thought it was the best of the four so far as well. This one felt a little more personal and married the bigger ideas with a deeply involving story. I've liked all of them so far, save for the Entire History of You which was good but nat as much as the others whilst I kind of knew where 15 Million Merits was going.

Spoiler
I know it's obvious but I thought they should have ended it on the cliff. I understand why they didn't and actually it was a lot braver to show what Martha decided to do in the end. I just though it posed too many questions.
[close]

Spoiler
the ending was one of the most chilling things i have ever seen.  it properly freaked me out.  plus it brought the whole story full circle in a way that could be seen as cheesy but was actually surprisingly effective.

surely the droid wouldn't have been able to jump anyway?  wasn't he incapable of being more than a certain distance from his activation point without his owner?  or am i imagining that?
[close]
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2013, 07:52:06 am »

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
I liked the way she shoved him away in the attic. Earlier on, he said when his brother died, his mother had gathered up all his brothers photos and reminders of him and stuck them away in the attic.
[close]

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2013, 10:49:35 am »
Spoiler
surely the droid wouldn't have been able to jump anyway?  wasn't he incapable of being more than a certain distance from his activation point without his owner?  or am i imagining that?
[close]
Spoiler
You're right. He said he couldn't be more than 25m away from the activation point without her. That scene in the garden when he couldn't walk any further suggests he operates in an 'I'll go as far as I can before stopping' way, rather than an 'I can't go there because it's too far' kind of way. So I imagine he would have been able to jump because he technically had 25m to play with and fall before he was out of range.

Maybe like in the garden he would have just stopped and hung in the air half way down the side of the cliff  ;D
[close]

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2013, 10:16:21 pm »
Just watched the new episode. I suppose the surprise factor with theses has gone a little but the very concept here was appallingly gripping with a degree of horrible jeopardy lingering in the background – I kept thinking something terrible was going to happen, which it did in its own way.

The notion of comparing these episodes is arguably a bit flawed as they are very different in their own way so grip you and intrigue in different ways. The National Anthem was rather voyeuristic and frankly disgusting but fascinating, while the History of Me episode seemed to relate so closely to the way we interact and record our lives.

This latest outing shows the dangers of how technology can play God to the extent that it interferes with the natural order – at what point do we step in and retrain technology’s grip?

Love it…

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2013, 10:15:28 pm »
On now for anyone interested, 15 minutes into it
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2013, 10:32:57 pm »
This one is reminding me of Derrin Brown's Apocalypse. With less explanation of what's actually going on :(

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2013, 10:35:07 pm »
The lady is driving me mad!

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2013, 10:41:00 pm »
This one is reminding me of Derrin Brown's Apocalypse.
Haha even more so now!

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2013, 10:41:33 pm »
How many ad breaks are there??

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2013, 10:42:37 pm »
Haha even more so now!

Ha was thinking it about a couple of his episodes, the apocalypse one and also the game show one showing how far an audience will push someone if they're in a pack - can't remember what that was called though.  Half thought it was going to be Derren himself on stage then
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2013, 10:56:21 pm »
Brilliant once again. Thought it was going to be a weak effort 1/3 of the way through but how wrong I was!
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #213 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:20 pm »
OK now I actually understand what had been going on it was actually quite clever - certainly didn't enjoy it as much as the others though.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:46 pm »
loved it,brilliant episode,,what a twist..
bollocks

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2013, 11:01:46 pm »
Thought this was really poor. I could not get over the main character who spends the whole show...

Spoiler
either whimpering or screaming
[close]

Ends up being a mix of...

Spoiler
The Running Man meets Dead Of Night
[close]

Next week's looks good though (even if it does have the BT ad bloke in it).

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: February 18, 2013, 11:08:53 pm »
Brilliant once again. Thought it was going to be a weak effort 1/3 of the way through but how wrong I was!

Yeah, I was thinking the same.
After making the point about people just observing/voyeurism I didn't really know where they were going to go with it.

Didn't see the twist coming. Though I did think something was a bit odd when only the main character had to put on the balaclava.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: February 18, 2013, 11:39:04 pm »
Well, that was almost impossibly bleak. Brilliant though.

Some people on Twitter are saying 'excellent idea, this is how all criminals should be treated'. Which seems to be spectacularly missing the point somewhat.

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2013, 11:40:41 pm »

Some people on Twitter are saying 'excellent idea, this is how all criminals should be treated'. Which seems to be spectacularly missing the point somewhat.

Unremittingly bleak. Too bleak. Call me sentimental, but I like shaft of hope in my unremitting dystopian bleakness. I also think it was just too grim and too absurd to truly work. But it still made for a fascinating hour's TV.
Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #219 on: February 19, 2013, 12:22:53 am »

Missing the point, and making it at the same time.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2013, 12:50:41 am »
That was pretty fucking amazing. Good twist n all!

Had to watch on 4od, so didn't get to see the ad for ep3, any links?
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2013, 01:05:49 am »
That was pretty fucking amazing. Good twist n all!

Had to watch on 4od, so didn't get to see the ad for ep3, any links?

And there's me loving the fact there's no ads :)
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2013, 04:25:05 am »
it started well but about 10 minutes in it became obvious what was going on and then it was just a matter of waiting for the big reveal.  still clever in its way, although as with all the BMs it avoids a lot of "er.. but..." style plot holes through the clever technique of ignoring them completely.  probably the weakest one so far, especially because it didn't really have a point to it.

Spoiler
the best bit of the episode was the end credits, and for once that's not meant as an attack.  it really brought out the fun, lighter side of brutal sisyphean torture.
[close]

also worth watching just for the young lady in the hat.  not only because she is extremely attractive, but also because her name is tuppence.
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2013, 07:06:29 am »
it started well but about 10 minutes in it became obvious what was going on and then it was just a matter of waiting for the big reveal.  still clever in its way, although as with all the BMs it avoids a lot of "er.. but..." style plot holes through the clever technique of ignoring them completely.  probably the weakest one so far, especially because it didn't really have a point to it.

Spoiler
the best bit of the episode was the end credits, and for once that's not meant as an attack.  it really brought out the fun, lighter side of brutal sisyphean torture.
[close]

also worth watching just for the young lady in the hat.  not only because she is extremely attractive, but also because her name is tuppence.

I thought it had a quite potent point - the public thirst for vengeance, fuelled by tabloid media, has the potential to go way too far. Been a while, but wasn't there a few cases of papers printing info about pedophiles leading to lookalikes getting their houses attacked and suchlike?
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 19, 2013, 11:42:32 am »

Was she in 28 weeks later as well?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #225 on: February 19, 2013, 01:40:16 pm »
I hated the main character in the beginning, but that twist was brilliant. It's too depressing though. Kinda hard to watch.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #226 on: February 19, 2013, 03:16:58 pm »
Triangle.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 19, 2013, 03:48:55 pm »
I thought it had a quite potent point - the public thirst for vengeance, fuelled by tabloid media, has the potential to go way too far. Been a while, but wasn't there a few cases of papers printing info about pedophiles leading to lookalikes getting their houses attacked and suchlike?

yeah, i got that impression but i don't think it really worked.

Spoiler
the vengeance thing seemed a bit tacked on, and the story seemed to focus on the voyeurism.  i think brooker had the starting point of someone waking up and finding themselves at the end of every camera (as a variation on the zombie apocalypse), and then tried to think of a reason to film those (admittedly excellent) opening scenes.

and, as you mention, that particular NOTW-fuelled mob rampage was beyond satire. it wasn't lookalikes who were attacked, but a paediatrician.
[close]

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:51:19 pm by sideshowme »

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2013, 12:35:36 am »
Was she in 28 weeks later as well?

Don't think so. Are you thinking of Imogen Poots (strange name)?
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2013, 12:58:26 am »

Thank god that's not the same person, she'd be called Tuppence Poots.

:lmao
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2013, 01:43:58 am »
Watched the first one. Great until the fucking mannequin arrived. Stretching credulity a bit too far that. The idea about data mining from the likes of Google, Facebook was good no need to create a fucking robot, could have just developed that idea using believable technology.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: February 20, 2013, 02:22:25 am »

Might be. Sure I've seen Tuppence somewhere before too, though.

Thank god that's not the same person, she'd be called Tuppence Poots.

:lmao

;D ;D
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #232 on: February 20, 2013, 09:14:40 am »
Watched it last night.  Thought it was excellent.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #233 on: February 20, 2013, 02:49:31 pm »
You'd think after fucking a pig to save a princess he'd be more than 3 points up in the polls.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: February 20, 2013, 05:58:07 pm »
I guess all natural resources have ran out.  I thought they were in prison, and were being used to power the national grid.  It was a means to an end.

So you think that forest at the end was another hologram, or could it be real?

If it's real that makes it more interesting for me. It'd imply that humanity fucked up the environment so badly they had to take such extreme measures to prevent any further damage to the world, like population control (single rooms, porn every few minutes). The Earth's recovered, but at what price? Even Bing can't go out there like he wants to, he's forced to stand there and just look at it.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2013, 01:03:37 am »
So you think that forest at the end was another hologram, or could it be real?

If it's real that makes it more interesting for me. It'd imply that humanity fucked up the environment so badly they had to take such extreme measures to prevent any further damage to the world, like population control (single rooms, porn every few minutes). The Earth's recovered, but at what price? Even Bing can't go out there like he wants to, he's forced to stand there and just look at it.

Spoiler
i guess it's entirely up for debate.  it could be a beautiful real world out there that is only enjoyed by the superrich and superpowerful, powered by the imprisoned, medicated, population-controlled plebian masses.  through his elevation to 'stardom' bing gets a little closer to it in that he can at least see it.

or it's just another black mirror, but bigger so it feels more immersive, and that's the most that mankind can aspire to.

as a story, i prefer the first idea, although i'm not sure which is more bleak, to be honest.

[close]

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2013, 04:09:23 am »
Spoiler
i guess it's entirely up for debate.  it could be a beautiful real world out there that is only enjoyed by the superrich and superpowerful, powered by the imprisoned, medicated, population-controlled plebian masses.  through his elevation to 'stardom' bing gets a little closer to it in that he can at least see it.

or it's just another black mirror, but bigger so it feels more immersive, and that's the most that mankind can aspire to.

as a story, i prefer the first idea, although i'm not sure which is more bleak, to be honest.

[close]

Yeah I agree. I also thought it was a good statement on how the people who want to change the system, even if they hate it end up getting swallowed by it anyway. I can't think of a better example, but it reminded me of that episode in Yes Minister where Jim Hacker's well-meaning political advisor Frank Wiesel publishes a damning report on Quangos, but in the end is bought off by the promise of heading one himself in luxury.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2013, 02:29:40 pm »
These are often relentlessly depressing but the White Bear episode was a notch up in the macabre stakes. Not sure "enjoy" is the word you'd use to describe the viewing experience but it drew me in, as always, and left me rather numb by the end.

Brooker is certainly fascinated by the despicable instincts of 'the mob'. Additionally, we tend to judge the mob from an outsiders perspective, somewhat above the fray. But are we not complicit? Even if we are not always active members of mob mentality do we still lap it up, encouraging it, feeding it? This is what can make this kind of satire uncomfortable...we are as bad as each other, no?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:12:25 pm by Fitzy. »

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2013, 05:10:25 pm »
it's an interesting point, and i think it sums up most of what brooker does these days.  you could well imagine barry shitpeas or philomena cunk being interviewed in an episode of black mirror.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #239 on: February 25, 2013, 10:14:28 pm »
Waldo is how I picture most of the posters in our post game threads.