Author Topic: Cormac McCarthy  (Read 43441 times)

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cormac McCarthy
« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2019, 07:11:46 am »
I think I read The Road before either of my sons were born. It had a profound effect on me then, would possibly kill me now. I'll have to get it back off my own dad, whom I lent it to straight after reading it.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2021, 09:55:55 am »
Mr. Suttree it is our understanding that at curfew rightly decreed by law and in that hour wherein night draws to its proper close and the new day commences and contrary to conduct befitting a person of your station you betook yourself to various low places within the shire of McAnally and there did squander several ensuing years in the company of thieves, derelicts, miscreants, pariahs, poltroons, spalpeens, curmudgeons, clotpolls, murderers, gamblers, bawds, whores, trulls, brigands, topers, tosspots, sots and archsots, lobcocks, smellsmocks, runagates, rakes, and other assorted and felonious debauchees.
I was drunk, cried Suttree.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #242 on: July 10, 2021, 12:37:18 pm »
Suttree really is a stunning book. Been far too long since I read it.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2021, 10:38:47 pm »
Suttree really is a stunning book. Been far too long since I read it.

it is a top book.

Currently re-reading Blood Meridian on Kindle, medium of which sounds anathema to the experience, but i can look up the various words for bus, shrub, plane of mountain, etc.

Suttree though - you can just find it on this site as txt or pdf and email to your kindle email addy & it'll arrive fully readable, send with a subject line Convert - I love as a I reflect back now older on my twenties and sadly yes thirties

The bit where he has a prozzy gf and he's sound about it but she fucks things up for them both, but goes all fuckin weird on him smashing up the car and ripping up money:

One drunken Sunday morning at Floyd Fox’s, a bootleg shack on a deserted stretch of Redbud Drive, she was taken with what seemed a kind of fit. She screamed at him half coherently and made weird gestures in the air, some threatening, some absurd. He tried to get her into the car. It had rained and they slid about and feinted in the slick red clay while drinkers from McAnally or Vestal sat on crates or rusty metal chairs and watched.

I didnt know they had dancin out here at the Redbud Room, called out a wit from the crowd.

He got her into the car, feet globed with mud. They swerved out of the driveway through deep ribbons of mud and onto the mudstained blacktop road. She sat silent and sullen, an occasional eerie smile crossing her lips.

They were driving up Island Home Pike toward town when she grabbed the gearstick and tried to force it into reverse. The motor whined, gears ratcheted unmeshed with a thin squawk. Suttree grabbed her wrist and held it and she raised one foot and kicked the knobs off the radio.

You crazy bitch, he said.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 04:09:41 pm by ToneLa »

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: March 8, 2022, 09:42:38 pm »
Two new Cormac McCarthy novels coming this autumn, it’s in the New York Times but can’t link due to paywall. Can’t wait.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #245 on: March 8, 2022, 10:31:02 pm »
Two new Cormac McCarthy novels coming this autumn, it’s in the New York Times but can’t link due to paywall. Can’t wait.
Cormac McCarthy will publish two interlinked novels this fall that are a significant thematic and stylistic departure from his earlier work. The Pulitzer Prize-winning author has not released a novel since “The Road,” which came out in 2006.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/08/books/cormac-mccarthy-new-novels.html?smid=tw-nytbooks&smtyp=cur
Wow. I can't believe we're going to see Cormac McCarthy's Paul Blart: Mall Cop Parts 1 & 2. 2022 is so crazy.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #246 on: March 9, 2022, 09:51:35 am »
Wow. I can't believe we're going to see Cormac McCarthy's Paul Blart: Mall Cop Parts 1 & 2. 2022 is so crazy.

:lmao
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: March 9, 2022, 11:15:15 am »
Before you ask, he's not Irish, he's from Texas, by way of Tennessee and Rhode Island, and for those of you who may not have heard of him, he is possibly the finest novelist America has produced in the last 50 years.

Big claim, I know, and all obviously based on my own personal opinion. I've read all the American "greats" from Faulkner (with whom McCarthy is most often compared) to Roth, and from Irving to Morrison, and McCarthy does it for me.

He has written perhaps 10 books over 40 years, and I have read maybe half of them. All of those I have read were based in the US, usually in the past, and in a style that is known as American Gothic.

'Suttree' was an elegiac meandering through Deep South river life. 'Blood Meridian' was a different case, dealing with the Wild and Vicious West through an apocalyptic lens and, frankly, is not bed time reading.

Where I started with McCarthy, however, was with 'All The Pretty Horses', which was followed by 'The Crossing', parts one and two of a trilogy which culminated in 'Cities Of The Plain'. 'Cities' was a little disappointing, but only in comparison with the first two.

All The Pretty Horses and The Crossing are astonishing books, scripture hewn from Wild West granite. Laconic, squint eyed heroes, animals who loom large in the memory, spare, sparse dialogue and prose so clean and sharp, you find yourself reading it aloud, just to hear it.

Both are set in the dying embers of the Wild West, and deal with young men who work as cowboys and wranglers, and whose place in history is passing. They meet various people, some bad, some good, all of whom tell stories. It isn’t necessary to read both but, if you do, read Pretty Horses first. This was made into a movie recently, which I didn’t see and have no intention of seeing.

Anyway, there you have it. Cormac McCarthy. Do yourself a favour and read him.

I have avoided McCarthy, solely because my friend kept recommending him and my friend is a douche, but this has convinced me to give some of his a go. You have a career in sales.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #248 on: March 9, 2022, 05:33:05 pm »

During a rare appearance in Santa Fe, N.M., in 2015, Cormac McCarthy offered a tantalizing glimpse of his work in progress: “The Passenger,” a novel that explored esoteric ideas about math, physics and the nature of consciousness.

Readers have been eager for the novel ever since. Widely revered as one of the greatest living American writers, McCarthy has not published a novel since 2006, when he released “The Road,” a post-apocalyptic survival story that won the Pulitzer Prize and became a best seller.

This fall, McCarthy, 88, is publishing not only “The Passenger,” but also a second, related novel, titled “Stella Maris.” McCarthy’s longtime publisher, Alfred A. Knopf, will release them one month apart.

The intertwined novels — which represent a major stylistic and thematic departure for McCarthy — tell the doomed love story of a brother and sister. The siblings, Bobby and Alicia Western, are tormented by the legacy of their father, a physicist who helped develop the atom bomb, and by their love for and obsession with one another.

Much of McCarthy’s earlier work is set in the American South and Southwest, and hinges on his fascination with good and evil and humanity’s bottomless capacity for violence and vengeance. In “The Passenger” and “Stella Maris,” he tackles more cerebral subjects: the history of math and physics, the nature of reality and consciousness, whether religion and science can coexist, and the relationship between genius and madness.

“He’s exploring elements of philosophy and some of the bigger life questions more directly on the page,” said Reagan Arthur, the publisher of Knopf.

It’s also the first time that McCarthy has built a narrative around a female protagonist. In “Stella Maris,” he inhabits the shattered psyche of Alicia Western, a math prodigy whose intellect frightens people and whose hallucinations appear as characters, with their own distinct voices.

“Stella Maris,” which will be released on Nov. 22 and serves as a coda to “The Passenger,” tells Alicia’s story, over roughly 200 pages. The narrative unfolds entirely in dialogue, as a transcript between Alicia and her doctor at a psychiatric institution in Wisconsin in 1972, where Alicia, a 20-year-old doctoral candidate in mathematics at the University of Chicago, receives a diagnosis of paranoid schizophrenia.

“It’s a format for Cormac to allow Alicia to explore her obsessions, which from what I can tell happen to be Cormac’s obsessions,” said Jenny Jackson, McCarthy’s editor at Knopf. “It’s a book of ideas.”

McCarthy has long been fascinated with esoteric scientific disciplines, and has surrounded himself with experts in theoretical physics and mathematics at the Santa Fe Institute, a research institute where he is a trustee and has been a fixture for decades. But until now, those subjects have rarely been a prominent feature of his fiction. With “The Passenger” and “Stella Maris,” McCarthy is more directly investigating questions about the intersection of science and morality and the limits of human knowledge.

McCarthy, who declined to be interviewed, has been alluding to “The Passenger” for years. Scholars have noted that McCarthy referred to a novel set in New Orleans more than 40 years ago. During a 2009 interview with The Wall Street Journal to promote the movie based on “The Road,” McCarthy mentioned a novel in progress and described it as a long book that is “largely about a young woman.”

“I was planning on writing about a woman for 50 years,” he added. “I will never be competent enough to do so, but at some point you have to try.”

McCarthy revealed more about the novel in 2015 at a performing arts center in Santa Fe, where performers read passages of the novel in progress as part of a multimedia event. McCarthy’s willingness to share portions of the book publicly prompted feverish speculation among scholars and fans that the publication of “The Passenger” was imminent.

Years passed, and no new novel arrived. It was an unusually long dry spell for McCarthy, who has released his 10 earlier novels at a fairly steady clip ever since his 1965 debut, “The Orchard Keeper.” In recent years, he’s written a screenplay for “The Counselor,” a film that was directed by Ridley Scott and released in 2013, and his first work of nonfiction, which explored the origins of language and was published in 2017 in the scientific magazine Nautilus. But little new information emerged about “The Passenger.”

Editors at Knopf managed to keep the new novels secret for nearly a decade. McCarthy delivered a full draft of “Stella Maris” and a partial draft of “The Passenger” to his editors there eight years ago.

When the manuscripts were completed, executives at Knopf debated how to package the unusual project. They considered publishing the books as a single volume, or as two volumes on the same day, or a year apart. Ultimately, they settled on releasing them separately but in close succession.

“Here we have not one but two novels by pretty much America’s greatest living novelist,” Arthur said. “How do we publish in a way that gives readers time to experience each one but also gives readers the satisfaction of experiencing the conversation between the two novels?”

Knopf is planning a hardcover printing of 300,000 copies for each book, and is also releasing a box set, with a first printing of 50,000 copies, in early December.

The novels will be released simultaneously in the United Kingdom, and foreign rights have sold in numerous countries, including France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Brazil.

The arrival of the novels later this year will give McCarthy scholars and fans insight into questions and subjects that have long preoccupied him, Jackson said.

“What do you do after you’ve written ‘The Road’?” Jackson said. “The answer is, two books that take on God and existence.”

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: March 9, 2022, 06:53:35 pm »
The Passenger is supposed to be absolutely great

Finally

Finally!

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: March 10, 2022, 05:48:26 am »
Great news. And while I knew he was an old fella, I didn't realise he was 88. So this could be the last we read from him... hopefully not.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #251 on: March 10, 2022, 10:01:20 am »
I have avoided McCarthy, solely because my friend kept recommending him and my friend is a douche, but this has convinced me to give some of his a go. You have a career in sales.

Weird to think I have a post on a forum that's nearly 16 years old.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #252 on: March 16, 2022, 03:20:21 pm »
Rare Thoughts on Writing From Cormac McCarthy in This Unlikely Interview

It Only Took Two Arizona High School Students to Get Answers From the Legendarily Reclusive Author

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #253 on: March 16, 2022, 04:02:56 pm »
Rare Thoughts on Writing From Cormac McCarthy in This Unlikely Interview

It Only Took Two Arizona High School Students to Get Answers From the Legendarily Reclusive Author

Ha ha. They are pretty thin answers to be fair. But full marks for trying.

Three of the greatest books in American literature by the way (American Pastoral, White Noise, All the Pretty Horses).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 04:08:05 pm by Yorkykopite »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #254 on: March 16, 2022, 04:04:28 pm »
"CM: I’m not writing for a particular audience. The reader in mind is me. If someone else would write these books I could go play golf."

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: March 16, 2022, 04:08:29 pm »
"CM: I’m not writing for a particular audience. The reader in mind is me. If someone else would write these books I could go play golf."

I do like that.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2022, 05:27:33 pm »
This is nicely ironic, presume it's the friend or editor or something putting the commas in  ;D

CM: In an older time, writers filled pages with quotation marks, commas, semi colons, etc. supposedly to help the reader. But there comes a point where, in my opinion, they just mess up the page. I use as few diacritical marks as I can get by with.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #257 on: October 24, 2022, 12:30:37 pm »
Latest Guardian interview

Note: contains spoilers for his two upcoming books

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: October 26, 2022, 04:13:35 pm »
I bought The Passenger at 10.30am, already 60-odd pages in.  Hypnotic as ever.  I think this and Stella Maris are going to be something of a mirror image. Reminiscent of No Country with the nomad like atmosphere of Suttree.

Great to have him back.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #259 on: January 19, 2023, 03:16:51 pm »
I just finished The Passenger and Stella Maris, and my initial view is that I can't see how I could be qualified to review them.

I think Stella Maris is my favourite of the two, written as a bare dialogue, almost like a transcript, and it is fucking gorgeous. The Passenger is more difficult, in terms of being able to follow, to the extent that I wouldn't recommend reading it without first getting some idea of what's going on. Some chapters are in italics, which denotes that we are in the mental world of one of the two main characters while the regular type chapters are in the world of the other. The two books occupy the same world with a brother and sister at the centre of both, present or otherwise.

Both are remarkably erudite, delving into mathemathics, physics, music, language, loss and love. Again, I'm not qualified to say if much of what is written is right or wrong but it's beautiful. The Passenger came out first which I presumed meant I should read it first so I did but I think you could read either first without any drawbacks.

I'm kinda trailing off here. I'm not worthy. It's like being asked to describe the music of Mozart by whistling.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: January 19, 2023, 07:51:13 pm »
It's funny you say that because around Christmas time the two books appeared on all the "top reads" lists for stocking filler, but while every other book was given the usual flowery praise, Cormac's books were just given a brief overview of the plot. I thought maybe the books weren't very good but were included in the list because, you know, it's Cormac, but maybe the newspaper columnists felt similarly overawed.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2023, 07:36:16 pm »
John Hillcoat is going to direct Blood Meridian.  Great, visionary director, but he has his work cut out.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2023, 08:16:33 pm »
John Hillcoat is going to direct Blood Meridian.  Great, visionary director, but he has his work cut out.
I think Hillcoat did a great job of The Road. Just cast Michael Shannon as the Judge and take it from there.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2023, 08:47:07 pm »
Fuck yes! You don't know how happy reading that just made me. Blood Meridian is one of my all-time favourite books and Hillcoat's adaptation of The Road, is one of my favourite movies. So a match made in heaven, for me at least. And yes, he has his work cut out, but I think the Coens would be the only other directors I would be confident in taking on that project. Great news.

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2023, 09:33:23 pm »
Not even sure how you can do it justice on screen. Have read it more than any other book other than White Jazz maybe. Glanton and Toadvine look and act a certain way in my head. So many mad scenes. Wow

Glad it's not Ridley Scott anyway
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #265 on: May 26, 2023, 03:52:35 pm »
I think Hillcoat did a great job of The Road. Just cast Michael Shannon as the Judge and take it from there.

His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: June 3, 2023, 11:40:22 am »
Corman McCarthy is writing the screenplay.  Massive difference between a novel and a script and he did write The Counselor…

Still, can’t wait for this.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #267 on: June 13, 2023, 08:38:45 pm »
BREAKING NEWS: Cormac McCarthy, a preeminent voice in American literature over the better part of the past half-century, died today at his home in Santa Fe, N.M., his publisher, Knopf, confirmed. He was 89. Full obit to follow

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #268 on: June 13, 2023, 08:40:44 pm »
I am sad.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: June 13, 2023, 09:05:10 pm »
Gutted. Like LeCarre I knew it was only a matter of time but hoped he could just keep going a little longer. RIP to a true hero.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: June 13, 2023, 09:25:30 pm »
I'm sad too. But what a legacy.

Three of my four favourite living authors have now died this year. Hilary Mantel, Martin Amis and now McCarthy.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #271 on: June 13, 2023, 09:39:04 pm »
I'm sad too. But what a legacy.

Three of my four favourite living authors have now died this year. Hilary Mantel, Martin Amis and now McCarthy.
2016 for musicians = 2023 for novelists. I completely forgot about Mantel.

Nobody's writing an ending to a novel like this again

Went to pick up No Country from my bookcase and Blood Meridian stood there, daring me, judging me again.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: June 13, 2023, 10:05:13 pm »
Oh fuck nooo

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #273 on: June 13, 2023, 11:07:09 pm »
RIP. What a life, what a legacy.
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: June 13, 2023, 11:21:34 pm »

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #275 on: June 14, 2023, 12:41:52 pm »
“How surely are the dead beyond death. Death is what the living carry with them. A state of dread, like some uncanny foretaste of a bitter memory. But the dead do not remember and nothingness is not a curse. Far from it.”

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 1, 2023, 08:38:51 am »
Just finished up Blood Meridian. My first McCarthy novel, got to say I loved it and his style. Took me a few chapters to get into and it definitely took me longer to read than most books do but worth the investment. It's beautiful in its craftmanship and horrific in its nature? Something like that.

I have a habit of binge reading authors so think I'll try Suttree next. Don't fancy The Road, heard its great but not sure I fancy where it would take me.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: September 1, 2023, 09:42:47 am »
Suttree is a banging read, should be easier than Blood Meridian, very different. I love the episodic, loose sort of structure to it, and it's hilarious in places

Those poor watermelons

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: September 1, 2023, 02:40:35 pm »
The Road is a very moving novel, I read it soon after the birth of my first son so I was certainly primed for it.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: September 2, 2023, 01:31:29 pm »
Suttree is a banging read, should be easier than Blood Meridian, very different. I love the episodic, loose sort of structure to it, and it's hilarious in places

Those poor watermelons

Think Suttree is probably my favourite novel.  Stunning achievement.