Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 586970 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #7240 on: December 27, 2017, 10:19:48 pm »
Just finished "1971- Never a dull moment - Rock's golden year" by David Hepworth.

Narrates the impact of the release of some monumental albums in that year, how technology was changing the business interspersed with odd little facts, such as when Mick Jagger (aka Micheal as far his mum was concerned) chartered a jet to fly the golden people to his wedding with Bianca in the South of France, Paul McCartney was crapping himself in case he had to sit next to Ringo as Paul had recently started legal proceedings to wind up the Beatles.

A great read for anyone who was around then or anyone with a wide interest in music.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7241 on: December 28, 2017, 12:41:28 am »
Just read a great little novella if anyone's got a spare hour or so.
A Window into Time by Peter F Hamilton.
About a young lad with a photographic memory which touches on reincarnation and time travel with a bit of bullying thrown in. I really loved it.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7242 on: December 28, 2017, 02:22:50 pm »
Seemed fine as a standalone to me, mate. I wasn't even aware that there was a prequel!

Cheers!  And you were right, I'm an idiot and was reading the author's wiki, when you go to the city and the city page it gives a preceded by and followed by and titles......they're just other books Mieville wrote, not prequels/sequels.  I'm an idiot!

Adding city and the city to the list, thanks
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7243 on: December 31, 2017, 03:21:14 pm »
Currently reading The Man without Qualities. The language itself is a bit dense as the translation I have doesn't appear to be the greatest but it feels like I'm reading a third person's account of my own life. Much to nod my head along to and my own thoughts about life are so eerily matched with a book written well before I was born. In any case, it is a grand attempt as ever at describing the human condition.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #7244 on: January 1, 2018, 06:05:46 pm »
Currently reading The Man without Qualities. The language itself is a bit dense as the translation I have doesn't appear to be the greatest but it feels like I'm reading a third person's account of my own life. Much to nod my head along to and my own thoughts about life are so eerily matched with a book written well before I was born. In any case, it is a grand attempt as ever at describing the human condition.

I've added that on my list when I learned that Musil is Kundera's favourite author.

1700+ pages sort of put me off though at the moment, you need a solid two months to go through it.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7245 on: January 1, 2018, 08:01:29 pm »
I've added that on my list when I learned that Musil is Kundera's favourite author.

1700+ pages sort of put me off though at the moment, you need a solid two months to go through it.

Thanks both of you. Now on my 'list'.

Set myself a goal of reading twenty books this year, so might have to hold off til I've earned a longer read!

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7246 on: January 2, 2018, 10:34:21 am »
Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari - Describes the future of Homo Sapiens whether if be the influences of gene manipulation, technology, superhumans or robots. The robots took our agricultural and industrial jobs and soon we'll be out of service jobs. What's next?

Fascinating and essential reading.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7247 on: January 2, 2018, 08:07:54 pm »
'A Life in Parts' by Bryan Cranston.

A good read - and, perhaps thankfully, doesn't touch on Breaking Bad/Walter White until.. pfff.. last quarter or so. Ending could have been better, (not bad, just.. better). Interesting read, well enough written, (haven't done alot of research on this, but seems like he actually wrote it himself...) and wow! he's had some life! 270ish pages, safe to read.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Yanwoo

• Internet. Serious business.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not a Man Yoo fan
« Reply #7248 on: January 2, 2018, 08:13:12 pm »
Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari - Describes the future of Homo Sapiens whether if be the influences of gene manipulation, technology, superhumans or robots. The robots took our agricultural and industrial jobs and soon we'll be out of service jobs. What's next?

Fascinating and essential reading.

Enjoyed Homo sapiens, and someone just reminded me yesterday about homo deus, now I’m seeing it cross my radar again, maybe I should treat it as a sign and put it to the top of my list!

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #7249 on: January 11, 2018, 05:01:28 pm »
Cheers!  And you were right, I'm an idiot and was reading the author's wiki, when you go to the city and the city page it gives a preceded by and followed by and titles......they're just other books Mieville wrote, not prequels/sequels.  I'm an idiot!

Adding city and the city to the list, thanks

Yeah, Un Lun Dun is totally unrelated to The City and The City. Un Lun Dun is aimed at a much younger audience and is set in London and a sort of alternative London. There are a few thematic similarities, but totally different worlds and characters. Embassytown is another great Mieville book if you're looking for more. Again, completely different setting, more of a sci-fi feel (set on an alien planet) but really it's about language and the impossibility of true communication.

I just finished N.K. Jemison's Broken Earth trilogy after picking up book one: The Fifth Season, for a couple of quid in the Works. It's a fantasy series, won multiple awards. Huge scope, massive ideas and some great revelations. Sometimes feels a little slow, but very satisfying. Interesting take on magic (although that doesn't even come up as a word until we're a long way in) and highly original setting. Not a whif of Tolkien anywhere. Very well developed characters who are flawed and not heroic, just desperate and terrifyingly powerful.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #7250 on: January 11, 2018, 06:56:51 pm »
Yeah, Un Lun Dun is totally unrelated to The City and The City. Un Lun Dun is aimed at a much younger audience and is set in London and a sort of alternative London. There are a few thematic similarities, but totally different worlds and characters. Embassytown is another great Mieville book if you're looking for more. Again, completely different setting, more of a sci-fi feel (set on an alien planet) but really it's about language and the impossibility of true communication.

I just finished N.K. Jemison's Broken Earth trilogy after picking up book one: The Fifth Season, for a couple of quid in the Works. It's a fantasy series, won multiple awards. Huge scope, massive ideas and some great revelations. Sometimes feels a little slow, but very satisfying. Interesting take on magic (although that doesn't even come up as a word until we're a long way in) and highly original setting. Not a whif of Tolkien anywhere. Very well developed characters who are flawed and not heroic, just desperate and terrifyingly powerful.
Love Mieville.

That's a great shout for broken earth. Definitely give it a whirl.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7251 on: January 12, 2018, 11:38:14 am »
The Complete Cosmicomics, by Italo Calvino. Science junkie that I am, this is an entertaining read. Loads of imagination and an easy page turner told from the perspective of a cosmic know-it-all. But only if reading about science, space and the universe interest you.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7252 on: January 13, 2018, 06:01:14 pm »
Just finished Annihilation by Jeff VanerMeer. Meh, supposed to be scifi, but it approaches horror mystery for me with very little to zero scifi. I wont be reading the other two books of this Southern Reach trilogy. I was glad to finish it.

Same here boots. Which is not a commentary on the book/author. I'm easily distracted by other interests, music, etc.
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #7253 on: January 13, 2018, 06:14:50 pm »
Same here boots. Which is not a commentary on the book/author. I'm easily distracted by other interests, music, etc.

Loved that trilogy. It is definitely sci fi, but that only becomes clear in the last book. Vandermeer has deliberately avoided making something with a single definitive explanation, it's a celebration of the weird, and it is more about the journey than the destination. Not for everyone, but an absolute masterclass of its type.

His latest novel, Borne, is far more accessible and straightforward.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7254 on: January 19, 2018, 09:54:43 am »
Just done reading Between The World And Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates in one sitting. Incredible, jolting writing.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7255 on: January 19, 2018, 10:27:00 am »
Just done reading Between The World And Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates in one sitting. Incredible, jolting writing.
Think I'll give that a read, cheers

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7256 on: January 25, 2018, 03:59:08 pm »

Just started Peter Ackroyd`s "London", fascinating stuff. Makes you want to go for a long walk in the city and poke around it`s hidden corners.

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/a/peter-ackroyd/london.htm

The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7257 on: January 25, 2018, 04:00:33 pm »
Just started Peter Ackroyd`s "London", fascinating stuff. Makes you want to go for a long walk in the city and poke around it`s hidden corners.

Sounds like a nice read for this time of year. Let us know any nice/weird recommended spots :) always enjoy that sort of thing!

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7258 on: January 25, 2018, 04:07:31 pm »
Sounds like a nice read for this time of year. Let us know any nice/weird recommended spots :) always enjoy that sort of thing!

I`ve done a bit of poking around some of the Hawksmoor Churches that Allan Moore spoke about in "From Hell".

I believe quite a bit of his research from that came from the work of Ackroyd. Christchurch Spitalfields has quite the looming, ominous feel to it, though perhaps less now the area has been gentrified.

I`ve also read Ackroyd`s book called Hawksmoor, which is seriously weird.

I`m in the early chapter of "London", so he`s mostly talking about the Roman/Saxon/Viking settlements and how early areas probably got their names. You can still see parts of the original London Wall and the London Stone is hidden away on Cannon Street. The book was originally published in 2000, so things might have changed.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7259 on: January 25, 2018, 04:09:55 pm »

I used to go for long walks around central London. Old or empty houses that seemed to have been forgotten by time were my favourites. There’s a house somewhere near Oxford Street, I can’t remember the exact location, that looks like it’s been empty since WW2.  I’m not sure if it’s still like that, but I found it fascinating that this house seems to have been left empty and untouched for so long.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7260 on: January 25, 2018, 04:10:25 pm »
I`ve done a bit of poking around some of the Hawksmoor Churches that Allan Moore spoke about in "From Hell".

I believe quite a bit of his research from that came from the work of Ackroyd. Christchurch Spitalfields has quite the looming, ominous feel to it, though perhaps less now the area has been gentrified.

I`ve also read Ackroyd`s book called Hawksmoor, which is seriously weird.

I`m in the early chapter of "London", so he`s mostly talking about the Roman/Saxon/Viking settlements and how early areas probably got their names. You can still see parts of the original London Wall and the London Stone is hidden away on Cannon Street. The book was originally published in 2000, so things might have changed.

Strangely that is exactly what I have most in mind when I think of wanting to explore the places mentioned in a book I'm reading.. Funny coincidence!

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7261 on: January 25, 2018, 04:15:38 pm »
Strangely that is exactly what I have most in mind when I think of wanting to explore the places mentioned in a book I'm reading.. Funny coincidence!

You can actually follow the journey the surgeon (Gull?) takes in his carriage in "From Hell", but I think the notes of the graphic novel themselves say that it would take a lot longer by foot in reality even than it did by carriage. Might be worth doing in sections given good weather.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7262 on: January 25, 2018, 04:34:52 pm »
You can actually follow the journey the surgeon (Gull?) takes in his carriage in "From Hell", but I think the notes of the graphic novel themselves say that it would take a lot longer by foot in reality even than it did by carriage. Might be worth doing in sections given good weather.

Gonna write that in a note to myself somewhere, like the sound of that on a nice free day. Cheers Killie!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #7263 on: January 25, 2018, 04:49:30 pm »
Last few - over the last couple of months - in no particular order (Some I've read again and again..)

Lord Fouls Bane, The Illearth War, The Power that Preserves, The Wounded Land, The One Tree, White Gold Wielder

--- Stephen Donaldsons epic about a troubled man from our world - a leper - who is sent unwillingly into a land where magic and amazing creatures are real and the land itself is alive.

American Notes for General Circulation - Charles Dickens - a fascinating look into life in America when he visited for a while with his wife, sailing from Liverpool. It's particularly interesting for his views on the prison system, slavery, the workhouses and the various attitudes from City to City to dealing with these issues.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Restaurant at the End of the Universe - Douglas Adams - an irreverant view of the subjects that are personal and close by and how those problems when cast into an infinite area might bite you on the arse.

Made in Yorkshire (1964) - James Farner - an interesting story about a lad who was born in Yorkshire - the first in a series of books on the lad in question

Travel by Wire! (Short Story), How We Went to the Moon (Short Story) - Arthur C. Clarke - his earliest tales.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7264 on: January 28, 2018, 07:24:18 pm »

I read that a couple of months ago just before I spent a couple of days in the City. There are some strange little courts, alleys and gardens tucked away. I also followed a couple of Dickens walks around the City, very atmospheric visiting some of Scrooge's haunts in December.

Anyway back to the latest book "Midnight's Furies" by Nisid Hajari.

It deals with the partition of India and how originally Nehru, Jinnah and Gadhi worked together for an independent India. Jinnah's insistence on the foundation of Pakstan (as it was originally called) led to increasing violence culminating in virtual ethnic cleansing.

It also explains the dispute over Kashmir, which has nearly led to full scale war between India and Pakistan, and the growth of irregular proxies by Pakistan which developed into the Taliban.

A good read if you, like me, know nothing about Partition.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7265 on: January 29, 2018, 12:40:07 am »
The Beach - Alex Garland
The Crying of Lot 49 - Thomas Pynchon
So You've Been Publicy Shamed - Jon Ronson

Jon Ronson is a bit of a personal hero of mine. Love his work.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7266 on: February 3, 2018, 09:40:20 am »
Enjoyed Homo sapiens, and someone just reminded me yesterday about homo deus, now I’m seeing it cross my radar again, maybe I should treat it as a sign and put it to the top of my list!

Just finished Homo sapiens ! Was a great read. Back in the uk in two weeks and deffo buying homo deus. quality reading and totally fascinating!
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7267 on: February 7, 2018, 09:07:13 pm »
Recently finished 12 Rules For Life by Jordan Peterson.

I suppose this falls under the bracket of "a self help" book, though I didn't particularly buy it for that purpose. I saw all the hype around Peterson, good and bad, watched a few videos and interviews and came away agreeing with him more often than not. Bought this on a hunch, having not read anything like it before. I've always been interested in the workings of human behaviour though, the hows and whys of our thinking and interactions. This book is an accessible introduction into such areas. Contemporary psychological problems are discussed within a historical context covering everything from the Bible to the Holocaust as well as personal anecdotes. As an atheist I was skeptical about the religious aspect, but Peterson does a great job of convincing you that "belief" is not a prerequisite to taking valuable insights from the Bible.

I didn't agree with everything within. Which is normal but seems to be something Peterson's fans and in particular, his detractors, regularly miss. It seems to be all or nothing. I'm a left leaning atheist though and after approaching the book with an open mind found it highly interesting.

Now reading the short crime novel Willnot by James Sallis of "Drive" fame. Very spare, minimalistic style. Loving it so far.

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7268 on: February 12, 2018, 09:38:08 pm »
I recently finished the first three books of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives.  Anyone have a must read book/series in the same vein?

Offline Szemerényi

• Anny Roader
  • We all ride the red and white gallop
« Reply #7269 on: February 12, 2018, 11:14:04 pm »
Almost done with the Odyssey in the original Greek. That took some time  :D But it was all worth it. 'You must read them in the original. Thalatta! Thalatta!' as Buck Mulligan said to Dedalus. So much of it is impossible to translate accurately. The Illiad next.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:17:59 pm by Szemerényi »

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7270 on: February 12, 2018, 11:28:32 pm »
I recently finished the first three books of Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives.  Anyone have a must read book/series in the same vein?

Malazan book of the fallen.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7271 on: February 12, 2018, 11:42:06 pm »
Finished A Wild Sheep Chase last night, my first Murakami (fiction, have read his running one).

Loved it!

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7272 on: February 13, 2018, 09:25:16 pm »

Saw this in my local charity shop for Ł3, bought it solely on your review. Seems like robbery at that price, even if this edition is only 1100 pages long.

Now, when am I going to read this..

Offline JHova2427

• Enjoys a nice bit of halibut and is prepared to get stoned for it. 2427 times.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7273 on: February 13, 2018, 11:15:09 pm »
Malazan book of the fallen.

I’ve heard this one is can’t miss if you like the genre.  My only fear is that it will be too depressing and the lack of central characters will throw me off.  What do you say?

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7274 on: February 14, 2018, 12:23:16 am »
Not read Sanderson's stuff but if it's fantasy you're after then I loved Abercrombie's First Law trilogy and Robin Hobb's first couple of trilogies. You may well have read them but if you haven't, give them a go. Both have great characters and can be pretty dark. Abercrombie's a bit funnier while Hobb's a bit heavier and slower, and I think she might write the best prose in fantasy. Rothfuss is great too, but fuck knows whether he'll ever get around to finishing his series (all of two books in and he's just....stopped).

Thought the Malazan series was genius in its way, but have never got around to finishing it - it's too much for my tiny brain to handle! From what I read bit were a.bit depressing, as you say (people dying and so on), but there were some great moments too. Maybe no definite central characters, more a huge cast, but some are awesome and are in it fairly frequently so you get to know a few pretty well. I'll have to finish it someday, but I've sort of forgotten where I'd got up to...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:39:33 am by Djozer »

Online Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7275 on: February 14, 2018, 12:29:15 am »
Anyone like Hari Kunzru? Reading Gods Without Men at the minute, some sort of quasi-mystical epic about all sorts of odd (fictional) goings on in the Mojave Desert, freaks, cults, UFOs and shit. Feels a bit like Kurt Vonnegut doing a David Mitchell novel. Really quite cool.

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7276 on: February 22, 2018, 05:32:18 pm »
If This Is a Man/The Truce - Primo Levi

Been meaning to get to this for a while. A book I've always heard as being "necessary" to read. I've long been putting it off as I wanted to approach it in the right mindset. If you haven't heard of it before, this is a two-part memoir detailing Levi's experiences in the concentration camps of Nazi Germany and subsequent journey home to Italy.

I can't recall ever being quite so affected by a book whilst reading. In fact I could likely spread that statement out into film, music or any other medium and it wouldn't be any less true. I've always struggled to comprehend the Holocaust. It's so far removed from anything I've ever experienced that works of fantasy seem more relatable. Levi breaks through that barrier by detailing his experiences as a witness first. Events are laid out unpretentiously, the stark depravity laid bare. At times I had to put the book down, and take a moment to reflect on what I'd read.

The second part, which deals with Levi's journey home, is still obviously a story of unimaginable hardship. By contrast to the first half however, this is almost an uplifting tale. A haphazardly planned pilgrimage around Europe, dotted with eccentric characters and bizarre and often quite hilarious anecdotes.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has read this. If you haven't, I urge you to make a note to do so at some point.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #7277 on: February 26, 2018, 01:38:07 pm »
I'm currently through Yalom's 'When Nietzsche Wept'. It's quite a captivating read for a historical fiction novel but it paints a thoroughly different light on one of my favourite philosophers, Nietzsche.

"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #7278 on: February 27, 2018, 11:08:35 am »
If This Is a Man/The Truce - Primo Levi

Been meaning to get to this for a while. A book I've always heard as being "necessary" to read. I've long been putting it off as I wanted to approach it in the right mindset. If you haven't heard of it before, this is a two-part memoir detailing Levi's experiences in the concentration camps of Nazi Germany and subsequent journey home to Italy.

I can't recall ever being quite so affected by a book whilst reading. In fact I could likely spread that statement out into film, music or any other medium and it wouldn't be any less true. I've always struggled to comprehend the Holocaust. It's so far removed from anything I've ever experienced that works of fantasy seem more relatable. Levi breaks through that barrier by detailing his experiences as a witness first. Events are laid out unpretentiously, the stark depravity laid bare. At times I had to put the book down, and take a moment to reflect on what I'd read.

The second part, which deals with Levi's journey home, is still obviously a story of unimaginable hardship. By contrast to the first half however, this is almost an uplifting tale. A haphazardly planned pilgrimage around Europe, dotted with eccentric characters and bizarre and often quite hilarious anecdotes.

I'm interested to see if anyone else has read this. If you haven't, I urge you to make a note to do so at some point.

I read 'If This Is A Man' a while back, still have it in the house somewhere I think. I'd second the recommendation.
Legacy fan

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7279 on: February 28, 2018, 01:52:20 am »
I've started binging on Stephen King and I'm not sure how to stop:

Thinner (writing as Richard Bachman)
Carrie

Salem's Lot is next.