Author Topic: Dilemma  (Read 7944 times)

Offline stoj

• Main Stander
Dilemma
« on: April 25, 2018, 11:59:28 am »
Mods, not sure where to put this, so delete or move where appropriate:

I am in a dilemma. I don't want to get ahead of myself but I have just realised that I am on an overnight flight back from Florida on SAT 26 MAY 18 and there's an obvious clash. I don't have the means to record the game as I use the BTsport app if not watching in a pub, or extremely lucky and obtain a ticket.  To change my flight and accommodation for me and my son is going to cost £700 but we get to see the game, what would you guys do??? If I readily had that amount after 12 days in Florida it would be a no brainer. Should I say "F**k it!" and put it on the credit? I mean, should we get there and win, it would be totally worth it and the memory for my son and I would last a lifetime, plus we extend the holiday by 1 day. Should we get there and lose I would be cursing my luck and gutted every time I make that monthly repayment lol. Returning early is not an option!

I remember I had similar dilemma in 2005 when I had to go to Germany with work and I insisted on cutting the trip short and an early return flight to make it back to the local in time for kick off. At half time, I wondered why the hell I bothered with all the travelling (Train to Coln, Flight to Heathrow, drive back to Wales) and stressing about getting back in time but it all made sense later, especially seeing all the Mancs, Bitters and every non LFC fan slumped in theirs chairs after all the pleasant banter at half-time. It was one of the best nights of my life.

That time, the company was paying, this time, its on me. Maybe its a sign?

Help!

Offline kopite 1

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • those were the days my friends
Re: Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 12:05:26 pm »
Can you not get sky Q and download the game to your phone
support the fight for justice dont buy the sun

jft96

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 12:06:11 pm »
I think if you forward this to UEFA they may move the dates

Offline stoj

• Main Stander
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 12:11:44 pm »
I think if you forward this to UEFA they may move the dates

Brilliant :)

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 12:31:02 pm »
Get the flight changed. Maybe even start a rawk donation thing and we can all chip a fiver in
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 12:43:31 pm »
£700 to watch a game on the tv? Madness. Get the flight as planned and buy the paper when you get home
Legacy fan

Offline stoj

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 12:47:11 pm »
Get the flight changed. Maybe even start a rawk donation thing and we can all chip a fiver in

I will probably wait until next Wednesday and decide, don't want to curse us just yet.
HAHA, Whilst that would be a lovely gesture, those things should be reserved for charities and people who truly need and deserve it. 

On another note, does anybody know of a place on International Drive, Orlando,  likely to show the game?

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 12:49:58 pm »
Many airlines have WiFi now, which is pretty amazing. Maybe check their website, see if they have it, and if so check reviews to see how good it is. I've heard of people streaming Netflix, so the BT App would work.

Offline stoj

• Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 12:50:51 pm »
£700 to watch a game on the tv? Madness. Get the flight as planned and buy the paper when you get home

to be honest, The impact 2005 had, it was worth it and that was at the local.
I agree, £700 is madness for a TV game but I do get to extend the holiday by 1 day ;)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 12:50:51 pm »
Many airlines have WiFi now, which is pretty amazing. Maybe check their website, see if they have it, and if so check reviews to see how good it is. I've heard of people streaming Netflix, so the BT App would work.

Might need to run it through a UK VPN though as not all work outside the UK.

Offline stoj

• Main Stander
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 12:53:41 pm »
Might need to run it through a UK VPN though as not all work outside the UK.

If I was flying Emirates, it wouldn't be an issue as I watched the first leg of the Man City Game recently via their entertainment system :)

Offline stoj

• Main Stander
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 01:11:35 pm »

Checked with Airline, will only know if route has been upgraded to wifi once on the plane. WIFI roll out is underway but not due for completion until 2019 ! yikes, maybe in time for next year lol

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 01:23:28 pm »
All major matches can be downloaded/streamed from reddit without spoilers.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 01:36:29 pm »
Checked with Airline, will only know if route has been upgraded to wifi once on the plane. WIFI roll out is underway but not due for completion until 2019 ! yikes, maybe in time for next year lol

If it's Virgin, there's a good chance it would be.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline MKB

• Martin
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 01:47:27 pm »
What time is take-off?  The match will be over by 16:45 Florida time unless it goes to extra time.

Also you can currently buy a one-way ticket on the Sunday from Orlando to Manchester on condor.com for £200 each.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:55:35 pm by MKB »

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 03:39:00 pm »
Check the airlines rules regarding changing the names on the flight tickets. There are sites out there where you can sell your tickets, obviously at a loss but it'd still be preferable to losing the full cost.

Failing that you could still get lucky. I spent £250 on a flight back from New York to Manchester late last year and ended up in a situation in which I wasn't going to make the flight. Was pretty annoyed at losing the £250... And then the day before the flight I got a text from the company (Norwegian) saying that for whatever reason they'd had to change to a different airlines flight and I was now eligible for a full refund.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 04:20:52 pm »
I think you should book a flight every year on CL final night. There might be something in this :D

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #17 on: May 2, 2018, 11:23:41 pm »
You mentioned you were on an overnight flight on Saturday the 26th.

The game kicks off at 5.45 am Florida time. Is your flight on the evening before or evening after?
YWNA

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 2, 2018, 11:31:18 pm »

The game kicks off at 5.45 am Florida time. Is your flight on the evening before or evening after?

Most definitely does not kick off at 5:45am. I am on the west coast and the game will be at 11:45am which means it will be at 2:45pm on the East Coast.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #19 on: May 3, 2018, 12:03:57 am »
Most definitely does not kick off at 5:45am. I am on the west coast and the game will be at 11:45am which means it will be at 2:45pm on the East Coast.

You’re right. I wasn’t looking at local Kiev time. It is indeed 2.45pm ET.
YWNA

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #20 on: May 3, 2018, 12:32:46 am »
I've missed weddings for games

For this I'd miss my own.

Time to step up to the plate. You're missing that plane
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #21 on: May 3, 2018, 02:49:39 am »
All major matches can be downloaded/streamed from reddit without spoilers.

This. Avoid the score best you can and download it. I can pm you links right after the game ends if you like that you can stream on your mobile if you want.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Mini Soda Scousephile

• Give us a snog, now.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • At the end of the storm there's a golden sky
« Reply #22 on: May 3, 2018, 03:48:38 am »

I haven't flown since 2013, but all of the flights in the US (Delta, United, American) that I took back in 2011-2013 had WiFi, it seems to be fairly common.
Obviously your experience might be different, and if you won't know until you're on the plane that's a bit of an issue - but, for what it's worth at least.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 3, 2018, 08:21:02 am »

If he is flying into Manchester with Virgin, then both Virgin flights out of there are after 6PM Florida time, they leave Manchester at half 10 and quarter to two our time. If he is flying back Friday night he will be back early doors Saturday and if he is flying Saturday night he will be able to catch the game in the airport, as the flight departs 11:30PM UK time.

I haven't flown since 2013, but all of the flights in the US (Delta, United, American) that I took back in 2011-2013 had WiFi, it seems to be fairly common.
Obviously your experience might be different, and if you won't know until you're on the plane that's a bit of an issue - but, for what it's worth at least.

Flew with Virgin to Florida last summer and they didn't have WiFi on the planes. No idea about the other airlines though.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2018, 08:22:35 am by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #24 on: May 3, 2018, 08:35:26 am »
If he is flying into Manchester with Virgin, then both Virgin flights out of there are after 6PM Florida time, they leave Manchester at half 10 and quarter to two our time. If he is flying back Friday night he will be back early doors Saturday and if he is flying Saturday night he will be able to catch the game in the airport, as the flight departs 11:30PM UK time.

Flew with Virgin to Florida last summer and they didn't have WiFi on the planes. No idea about the other airlines though.

We flew with virgin to Florida last summer and they DID have WiFi

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #25 on: May 3, 2018, 09:19:48 am »
This. Avoid the score best you can and download it. I can pm you links right after the game ends if you like that you can stream on your mobile if you want.

Babu, I'm going to need you to do this for me if you don't mind. Like the OP, I idiotically scheduled my flight to Tokyo for May 27, 12:30 am - 8:10 am, and the game starts at 1:45 (or something, depending on the time difference), so I am going to be in midair while it's on.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Online The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 3, 2018, 09:26:13 am »
Im on a flight to Vegas at the time. So disappointed. Flying with Virgin. Hope they have wifi then.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #27 on: May 3, 2018, 10:01:26 am »
Pretty impossible to avoid the result in this day and age surely? If you turn on your phone to access Babu’s PM you might inadvertently see a message you’ve been sent. Result might be on a screen as you walk through the airport, bound to be others on the plane discussing it...plus the inevitable temptation to just take a peek yourself. Sounds too difficult to me!

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 3, 2018, 10:11:53 am »
Pretty impossible to avoid the result in this day and age surely? If you turn on your phone to access Babu’s PM you might inadvertently see a message you’ve been sent. Result might be on a screen as you walk through the airport, bound to be others on the plane discussing it...plus the inevitable temptation to just take a peek yourself. Sounds too difficult to me!

Imagine landing at Manchester - it'll either be a fucking big party amongst the staff or they will all look like the world is about to end.

We flew with virgin to Florida last summer and they DID have WiFi

Bastards mustn't have put it on our plane - mind you a working engine would have been better. The compo for the 24hr delay made up for it though ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 3, 2018, 12:10:31 pm »
Stoj, I think you already know what to do. Your paragraph about Istanbul sums it up.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 3, 2018, 12:31:23 pm »

Well, it's not going to be easy, no. But I'd like to try.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #31 on: May 3, 2018, 02:52:55 pm »
Babu, I'm going to need you to do this for me if you don't mind. Like the OP, I idiotically scheduled my flight to Tokyo for May 27, 12:30 am - 8:10 am, and the game starts at 1:45 (or something, depending on the time difference), so I am going to be in midair while it's on.

No bother mate. Pop me a pm as close to your flight as you can as a reminder please. I will probably have lost my arse at that stage and won't even remember who my wife and kid are never mind sending a pm :D

Offline red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 3, 2018, 03:54:47 pm »
No bother mate. Pop me a pm as close to your flight as you can as a reminder please. I will probably have lost my arse at that stage and won't even remember who my wife and kid are never mind sending a pm :D

Cheers, my home slice  :thumbup

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #33 on: May 3, 2018, 04:46:27 pm »
Could you not just change the flight to a day later but stay in cheaper accomodation? I've got a similar problem in that I'm flying back from Malaysia on 13th July but the very next day, Manny Pacquiao is fighting there. Seriously tempted to change the flights for that, the things we do for sport eh?

Online The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 5, 2018, 09:44:14 am »
Getting through customs in the States means i won't see second half :butt

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #35 on: May 5, 2018, 03:06:32 pm »
Getting through customs in the States means i won't see second half :butt

If you plan to dodge the score like red mongoose, give me a shout and I will send you a link to the game as soon as it ends.

Same to anybody else out there btw. Just pm as close to the game as possible to remind me. Subject "Oi Dickhead, don't forget to send me a link to the game" :D

Online The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 5, 2018, 03:57:54 pm »
If you plan to dodge the score like red mongoose, give me a shout and I will send you a link to the game as soon as it ends.

Same to anybody else out there btw. Just pm as close to the game as possible to remind me. Subject "Oi Dickhead, don't forget to send me a link to the game" :D
Cheers ;D I think it's impossible to not hear about the game before seeing your link but will try ;)

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #37 on: May 5, 2018, 11:59:40 pm »
Cheers ;D I think it's impossible to not hear about the game before seeing your link but will try ;)

Invest in headphones and very dark sunglasses. Leave RAWK open on your browser in your messages inbox and then just refresh when you know the game has ended. That should minimize the risk ;)

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 6, 2018, 10:23:55 am »

We flew to Florida the same day as the Europa league final. There was no mention of the game anywhere, the crew on the plane didn't say a word about it and it wasn't until we got to the hotel and I looked for the score I could tell the wife how her lot had got on. Hopefully Vegas will be the same for you.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 8, 2018, 11:45:10 am »
Here. Talking of dilemma's, whatever happened to your man at Christmas who had the one where there was a girl in his office giving him the come on, but he was married, and he was in 2 minds whether to go for it  or not. That was quality reading. I cant even remember what thread it was now but the poor fella really didn't know what to do