Author Topic: Cambridge Analytica  (Read 32786 times)

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Re: Cambridge Analytica
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2018, 01:08:56 pm »
This is partly why I have never joined facebook or twatter. Perhaps I am a luddite but I simply don`t like the idea of people being able to track everything I do, my thoughts, opinions, friends (I have at least 1, oh hold on, no 1), shopping habits and personal details that could be used to steal from me. That is aside from the narcissism that is the foundation for a lot of people on it - no, I don`t give a fuck what you had for breakfast etc.

Sadly, the people that own all these social media platforms don`t give a flying fuck about your personal data as long as they are making billions out of advertising. In an odd way Facebook reminds me of the East India Company. Why you may ask. A company that got a little too big for the comfort of government and I get the impression that the press they have been receiving in recent years about their responsibilities (terrorism, child exploitation, data etc etc) is the start of a more concerted effort to bring such a massive company to heel. The problem is though that they are just too big to bring to heel and governments cannot control what happens in other countries unless there is a joint approach between all.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2018, 01:18:06 pm »
But this is targeted personalised propaganda and targeted through subterfuge.

At least totalitarian propaganda, torch light parades, missiles trundling through Red Square, Julius Streichers stridently anti-Semitic was in your face. Literally.

This propaganda is much more subtle and aimed at people who probably look at cute kittens or babies stumbling through their first steps on Face Book or other platforms for inanity.

Definitely

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2018, 01:24:12 pm »
This is partly why I have never joined facebook or twatter. Perhaps I am a luddite but I simply don`t like the idea of people being able to track everything I do, my thoughts, opinions, friends (I have at least 1, oh hold on, no 1), shopping habits and personal details that could be used to steal from me. That is aside from the narcissism that is the foundation for a lot of people on it - no, I don`t give a fuck what you had for breakfast etc.

Unless you go to great lengths to use the internet anonymously then it's highly likely even without being on the likes of FB that you're leaving a fairly big fingerprint wherever you go.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2018, 01:31:36 pm »
Unless you go to great lengths to use the internet anonymously then it's highly likely even without being on the likes of FB that you're leaving a fairly big fingerprint wherever you go.

I appreciate that and I do buy things online so amazon for example know a lot about me. Indeed if people care to read some of the drivel I post on here then they probably know a bit about my opinions. It's primarily the idea of facebook though - it takes information about you to a different level as far as I can make out with things like where you have been and where you might be going, who your family are, your political leanings etc etc. I suppose that depends on what you post but it does seem to collate a lot of underlying information other than the simple things you can get from any electoral roll.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2018, 01:33:19 pm »
Definitely

This is what Facebook's head of news feed said about his company's role in the genocide in Burma

'Real world violence is one of the worst possible effects of social media'.

That's what Facebook themselves say about their own goddamn product. 
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2018, 01:35:55 pm »

Sadly, the people that own all these social media platforms don`t give a flying fuck about your personal data as long as they are making billions out of advertising. In an odd way Facebook reminds me of the East India Company. Why you may ask. A company that got a little too big for the comfort of government and I get the impression that the press they have been receiving in recent years about their responsibilities (terrorism, child exploitation, data etc etc) is the start of a more concerted effort to bring such a massive company to heel. The problem is though that they are just too big to bring to heel and governments cannot control what happens in other countries unless there is a joint approach between all.

You dont need to be on a social media for someone to find out information about you. You post on RAWK, your post history can determine whats your interests, likes and dislikes, when do you log in and out ect..

I assume you have a mobile phone. Your location can be tracked, you can be bugged without you knowing, your mic and camera turned on, information we got from the Snowden leaks. They can see where you have been, what other phones you are regularly nearby, they can work out your relationship with other phones (people).

The same applies to bank cards. There is data on everything you buy, where you buy it, what other cards were used nearby.

Say person A meets person B a cafe, they buy a drink with their card and Person B has a mobile phone which shows what area they are in. This is just one interaction of millions, how easily it could be to build a profile of someone. Did anyone agree to this?

There is a much bigger conversation about how secure and process data as technology advances. Nevermind the likes of CA trying to use this data to subtly influence peoples opinions and worldviews. No one has a clue what it going on, and thats the problem.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2018, 01:40:47 pm »
But this is targeted personalised propaganda and targeted through subterfuge.

At least totalitarian propaganda, torch light parades, missiles trundling through Red Square, Julius Streichers stridently anti-Semitic was in your face. Literally.

This propaganda is much more subtle and aimed at people who probably look at cute kittens or babies stumbling through their first steps on Face Book or other platforms for inanity.

Right, but that's just a difference in methods. The principle remains the same. It's deliberate misleading in order to sway someone's opinion in a particular direction.

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2018, 01:41:08 pm »
This is what Facebook's head of news feed said about his company's role in the genocide in Burma

'Real world violence is one of the worst possible effects of social media'.

That's what Facebook themselves say about their own goddamn product.

"we lose some sleep over this" I don`t know what to say to that.

I can say with some certainty that bringing up children in a social media age has made the job of parenting so much harder than it used to be. My own mother says that she is glad she is not bringing up children now. My teenage kids (oh there you go again, more information about me) have faced all sorts of problems, and no doubt created problems for others, because of social media. What was once confined to the schoolyard is now 24 hours a day and it is bloody evil some of it.

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2018, 01:43:02 pm »
You dont need to be on a social media for someone to find out information about you. You post on RAWK, your post history can determine whats your interests, likes and dislikes, when do you log in and out ect..

I assume you have a mobile phone. Your location can be tracked, you can be bugged without you knowing, your mic and camera turned on, information we got from the Snowden leaks. They can see where you have been, what other phones you are regularly nearby, they can work out your relationship with other phones (people).

The same applies to bank cards. There is data on everything you buy, where you buy it, what other cards were used nearby.

Say person A meets person B a cafe, they buy a drink with their card and Person B has a mobile phone which shows what area they are in. This is just one interaction of millions, how easily it could be to build a profile of someone. Did anyone agree to this?

There is a much bigger conversation about how secure and process data as technology advances. Nevermind the likes of CA trying to use this data to subtly influence peoples opinions and worldviews. No one has a clue what it going on, and thats the problem.

Scary stuff because I know you're right. People have seemingly lost the ability to think for themselves, to question and not to take as gospel something they read on facebook of all places.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2018, 01:48:30 pm »
The problem is though that they are just too big to bring to heel and governments cannot control what happens in other countries unless there is a joint approach between all.

Facebook is not too big and it's extremely vulnerable because it is absolutely useless. It's use is propounded by other companies - like my idiotic cell provider who wants me to login using Facebook. Why the fuck would I want to see my phone bill from logging into Facebook? Ordinary people can stop using it if they're willing to remember a few more passwords and start going outside more.

Mark Zuckerberg (and his other executives like Sheryl Sandburg) should basically be laughed at whenever he (they) appears in public.

Remember when he was going around meeting white working class families in some midwestern state, and people were basically saying "ooh, he's testing the viability of a run for President."

"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2018, 02:18:36 pm »
Cambridge Analytica hoped to capitalize on Russian hacking of Hillary Clinton and her ally, an email written by one of its employees indicates.

Emily Cornell, the employee, sent the email on July 29, 2016. It went out to people working with Make America Number One, the pro-Trump super PAC funded by Republican super-donors Robert and Rebekah Mercer.

After noting some of the firm’s work for the super PAC, Cornell wrote: “With her campaign getting hacked, I can only imagine what a new swatch [sic] of emails will do to her already fractured base!”
More here: https://amp.thedailybeast.com/cambridge-analytica-looked-to-pounce-on-russian-hacks-email-shows?

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2018, 03:03:45 pm »
Interesting that during PMQs May was asked if the Tories have used this company or ones like it she keep using the words "no currant contracts"
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2018, 03:11:59 pm »
Interesting that during PMQs May was asked if the Tories have used this company or ones like it she keep using the words "no currant contracts"
Government or Tories, could be the question.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2018, 03:19:29 pm »
Government or Tories, could be the question.

One of them is run by Tories and gave money to the Tory party.

https://twitter.com/kr15a13x4nd3r/status/976474683058085888

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2018, 03:22:29 pm »

She’s tied up the sultanas, though.
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2018, 03:24:32 pm »
She’s tied up the sultanas, though.

I was raisin that issue until your post.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2018, 04:01:48 pm »
The academic at the centre of Facebook’s data breach claims he has been unfairly scapegoated by the social network and Cambridge Analytica, the firm that acquired the information. Aleksandr Kogan, a Moldovan-born researcher from Cambridge University, admits harvesting the personal details of 30 million Facebook users via a personality app he developed.

He then passed the data to Cambridge Analytica who assured him this was legal, he said.

Cambridge Analytica whistleblower Christopher Wylie told the Observer that the data Kogan obtained was used to influence the outcome of the US presidential election, a charge the firm denies.

Kogan told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme on Wednesday that he was being unjustly blamed for the scandal.

He said: “My view is that I’m being basically used as a scapegoat by both Facebook and Cambridge Analytica. Honestly we thought we were acting perfectly appropriately. We thought we were doing something that was really normal.”

Last week Facebook announced it was suspending Cambridge Analytica and Kogan from the platform, pending further investigation over misuse of data. Facebook insists Kogan violated its platform policy by transferring data his app collected to Cambridge Analytica. It also said he had specifically assured Facebook that the data would never be used for commercial purposes.

Kogan said the scandal raised questions about the business model of social networking companies. Kogan said: “The project that Cambridge Analytica has allegedly done, which is use people’s Facebook data for micro-targeting, is the primary use case for most data on these platforms. Facebook and Twitter and other platforms make their money through advertising and so there’s an agreement between the user of ‘hey, you will get this amazing product that costs billions of dollars to run and in return we can sell you to advertisers for micro-targeting’.”

Kogan also disputed Cambridge Analytica’s claim that he had approached them with the idea.

He said: “That is a fabrication. They approached me; in terms of the usage of Facebook data they wrote the terms of service for the app. They provided the legal advice that this was all appropriate. So I’m definitely surprised by their comments and I don’t think they are accurate.”

He pointed out that it paid up to $800,000 to recruit about 200,000 people to use it. He said: “I have never profited from this in anyway personally. This money was paid mostly … for the participants – each person was paid $3 to $4 (£2.10 to £2.80), so that’s where really the money went.”

Kogan said he was told that the scheme was legal but accepts he should have questioned the ethics of the exercise.

He said: “They [Cambridge Analytica] communicated that this would be a fully commercial project and that terms of service would be ones that allowed a broad licence for usage. What was communicated to me strongly is that thousands and maybe tens of thousands of apps were doing the exact same thing. And this was a pretty normal use case of Facebook data.”

Cambridge Analytica denies using the Facebook data during the Trump campaign.

Kogan said: “We were assured by Cambridge Analytica that everything was perfectly legal and within the limits of the terms of service. One of the great mistakes I did here was that I just didn’t ask enough questions.

While at Cambridge Kogan accepted a position at St Petersburg State University, and also took Russian government grants for research.

Kogan laughed off suspicions that he is linked to the Kremlin. He said: “This one is pretty funny … anyone who knows me knows I’m a very happy-go-lucky goofy guy, the last one to have any real links to espionage.”

Wylie claims most of the personal information harvested by Kogan’s app had been taken without authorisation. He said Cambridge Analytica used it to build a powerful software program to predict and influence choices at the ballot box.

Kogan said he had no knowledge of how the information was subsequently used. He said he would feel “horrible” if the data had helped influence the election. “Mr Trump is not somebody whose values align well with mine,” he said.

He also doubts it could have been useful. Kogan, who works at Cambridge University’s psychology department, said: “The accuracy of this data has been extremely exaggerated. In practice my best guess is that we were six times more likely to get everything wrong about a person as we were to get everything right about a person. I personally don’t think micro-targeting is an effective way to use such data sets.

“It could have only hurt the campaign. What Cambridge Analytica has tried to sell is magic. And it made claims that this is incredibly accurate and it tells you everything there is to tell about you, but the reality is that it’s not that. If you really work through the statistics … those claims quickly fall apart.”

Cambridge Analytica’s chief executive, Alexander Nix, who was suspended on Tuesday, told MPs in February that his company did not use Facebook data in its work.

In a statement published on Saturday, the company denied any wrongdoing and said it did not harvest Facebook data, and none was used in the 2016 presidential election. It said it fully complied with Facebook’s terms of service and it had deleted all the data it received from Kogan’s company.
https://theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/21/facebook-row-i-am-being-used-as-scapegoat-says-academic-aleksandr-kogan-cambridge-analytica?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:04:43 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2018, 04:10:28 pm »
One striking thing that is absent from Kogan's interview is where is Cambridge University in all of this? Their ethics office surely would have had to have signed off on Kogan's research since it involved human participants. The idea that an academic researcher would take the word of a private company in regard to the legality of how they intended to use such data is absolutely astounding in his level of naivety.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2018, 04:11:45 pm »
The academic at the centre of Facebook’s data breach claims he has been unfairly scapegoated by the social network and Cambridge Analytica, the firm that acquired the information. Aleksandr Kogan, a Moldovan-born researcher from Cambridge University, admits harvesting the personal details of 30 million Facebook users via a personality app he developed.

Ultimately, Facebook allows apps to harvest all this data. So they are in no position to be pointing fingers. Facebook don't give a fuck about peoples privacy, their only grievance is the fact that serious questions are being asked of them.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2018, 04:28:30 pm »
Ultimately, Facebook allows apps to harvest all this data. So they are in no position to be pointing fingers. Facebook don't give a fuck about peoples privacy, their only grievance is the fact that serious questions are being asked of them.

Well, ultimately the user allows the apps to harvest the data. The warnings are given as to what data will be made available to the companies.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2018, 04:28:41 pm »

One thing I don't seem to be getting is, what did Facebook get out of this? Did they receive money in exchange for allowing this app to mine all that data, or did they just open their doors and let them in for free? I always thought their business model was to gather all this data and get people hooked on looking at their shite feed and then sell the data to advertisers so they could sell us stuff.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2018, 04:30:22 pm »
Personally, its the data use that is the greater concern than the scary vote changing skills that this firm seems to have (or people claim they have). I know its good to blame companies like these for Trump, but i am highly dubious that they have any or much impact.

As for Facebook, i hope they get nailed over this big time and would love if they ceased to exist. There was a former head of GCHQ who came on 5Live and he was saying that governments knew they had to heavily regulate them but for a whole host of reasons have given them longer to reform. But he said that window of time is almost closed and there will be heavier regulation.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2018, 04:55:59 pm »
One thing I don't seem to be getting is, what did Facebook get out of this? Did they receive money in exchange for allowing this app to mine all that data, or did they just open their doors and let them in for free? I always thought their business model was to gather all this data and get people hooked on looking at their shite feed and then sell the data to advertisers so they could sell us stuff.

Please correct me if I mis-step, but I believe the issue vis a vis Facebook isn't that they benefited from or orchestrated this illegal activity; rather, they knew about it 2 years ago and did NOTHING about it.  Besides firing the data security officer for having the temerity to want to bring this information to the public.

They (Fbook) have shown time and time again they don't give a tit for ethics.  How many people saw Russian bought ads during the election?  Well, let's say 20.  Did we say 20?  We meant 20 million!  Sorry about that, typo!

This (C.A.) might be the straw that breaks the camel's back, in terms of govt's might now have the mandate/public will to regulate these social media companies.  The internet is the wild west of our generation; and at some point just rule of law was built up in the West (...Joe Arpaio aside....) much as it has to be online.

EDIT- What KH just said!

It's funny, because practically none of the legislators are capable of understanding the intricacies of these issues.  On that I agree with dbag Nix
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2018, 05:05:24 pm »
Looks like CA have reformed as a new company
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10911848/officers

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: March 21, 2018, 05:15:19 pm »
Right from the start, Zuckerberg had you all down as a bunch of dumb fucks    :wave

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mark-zuckerberg-branded-early-facebook-users-dumb-fs-sharing-data-105026140.html

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: March 21, 2018, 05:21:26 pm »
Right from the start, Zuckerberg had you all down as a bunch of dumb fucks    :wave

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mark-zuckerberg-branded-early-facebook-users-dumb-fs-sharing-data-105026140.html

Not surprised. In the interview with the former GCHQ chief that I referred to in my post above another thing he said that him, other security services and governments were astounded at the level of arrogance that literally everyone who works in Silicon Valley have. Its clear they need to be brought down a peg or four.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #107 on: March 21, 2018, 05:36:34 pm »
Somebody should've told him about Proton mail & screen grabs.

Cambridge Analytica CEO Alexander Nix called black clients ‘n*ggers’ in leaked email
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: March 21, 2018, 06:01:04 pm »

Not sure about CA specifically, but Facebook take a 30% cut of any in-game purchases made in these apps (think of the likes of Farmville).

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #109 on: March 21, 2018, 06:26:34 pm »
SCL – a Very British Coup

by Liam O'Hare 20th March 2018

Liam O Hare on the deep connections between Cambridge Analytica’s parent company Strategic Communication Laboratories (SCL Group)  and the Conservative Party and military establishment, ‘Board members include an array of Lords, Tory donors, ex-British army officers and defense contractors. This is scandal that cuts to the heart of the British establishment.’

The scandal around mass data harvesting by Cambridge Analytica took a new twist on Monday.

A Channel 4 news undercover investigation revealed that the company’s Eton-educated CEO Alexander Nix offered to use dirty tricks – including the use of bribery and sex workers – to entrap politicians and subvert elections.

Much of the media spotlight is now on Cambridge Analytica and their shadowy antics in elections worldwide, including that of Donald Trump.

However, Cambridge Analytica is a mere offshoot of Strategic Communication Laboratories (SCL Group) – an organisation with its roots deeply embedded within the British political, military and royal establishment.

Indeed, as the Observer article which broke the scandal said “For all intents and purposes, SCL/Cambridge Analytica are one and the same.”

Like Cambridge Analytica, SCL group is behavioral research and strategic communication company.

In 2005, SCL went public with a glitzy exhibit at the DSEI conference, the UK’s largest showcase for military technology.

It’s ‘hard sell’ was a demonstration of how the UK government could use a sophisticated media campaign of mass deception to fool the British people into the thinking an accident at a chemical plant had occurred and threatened central London. Genuinely.

Board members include an array of Lords, Tory donors, ex-British army officers and defense contractors. This is scandal that cuts to the heart of the British establishment.

SCL Group says on its website that it provides “data, analytics and strategy to governments and military organizations worldwide.”

The organisation boasts that it has conducted “behavioral change programs” in over 60 countries and its clients have included the British Ministry of Defence, the US State Department and NATO.

A freedom of information request from August 2016, shows that the MOD has twice bought services from Strategic Communication Laboratories in recent years.

In 2010/11, the MOD paid £40,000 to SCL for the “provision of external training”. Meanwhile, in 2014/2015, it paid SCL £150,000 for the “procurement of target audience analysis”.

In addition, SCL also carries a secret clearance as a ‘list X’ contractor for the MOD. A List X site is a commercial site on British soil that is approved to hold UK government information marked as ‘confidential’ and above. Essentially, SCL got the green light to hold British government secrets on its premises.

Meanwhile, the US State Department has a contract for $500,000 with SLC. According to an official, this was to provide  “research and analytical support in connection with our mission to counter terrorist propaganda and disinformation overseas.” This was not the only work that SCL has been contracted for with the US government, the source added.

In May 2015, SLC Defense, another subsidiary of the umbrella organisation, received $1 million (CAD) to support NATO operations in Eastern Europe targeting Russia.

The company delivered a three-month course in Riga which taught “advanced counter-propaganda techniques designed to help member states assess and counter Russia’s propaganda in Eastern Europe”.

The NATO website said the “revolutionary” training would “help Ukrainians better defend themselves against the Russian threat”.

What is clear is that all of SLC’s activities were inextricably linked to its Cambridge Analytica arm.

As recently as July 2017, the website for Cambridge Analytica said its methods has been approved by the “UK Ministry of Defence, the US State Department, Sandia and NATO” and carried their logos on its website.

Mark Turnbull, who joined Alexander Nix at the secretly filmed meetings, heads up SCL Elections as well as Cambridge Analytica Political Global.

His profile at the University of Exeter Strategy and Security Institute boasts of his record in achieving “campaign success via measurable behavioural change” in “over 100 campaigns in Europe, North and South America, Asia, Africa and the Caribbean”.

Turnbull previously spent 18 years at Bell Pottinger, heading up the Pentagon funded PR drive in occupied Iraq which included the production of fake al-Qaeda videos.

Turnbull’s involvement is just one sign of the sweeping links the company has with powerful Anglo-American political and military interests.

The firm is headed up by Nigel Oakes, another old Etonian, who, according to the website PowerBase has links to the British royals and was once rumoured to be an Mi5 spy.

In 1992, Oakes described his work in a trade journal as using the “same techniques as Aristotle and Hitler. … We appeal to people on an emotional level to get them to agree on a functional level.”

The President of SLC is Sir Geoffrey Pattie, a former Conservative MP and the Defence Minister in Margaret Thatcher’s government. Pattie also co-founded Terrington Management which lists BAE Systems and Lockheed Martin among its clients.

One of the company’s directors’ is wine millionaire and former British special forces officer in Borneo and Kenya, Roger Gabb, who in 2006 donated £500,000 to the Conservative party.

Gabb was also fined by the Electoral Commission for failing to include his name on an advert in a number of local newspapers arguing for a Leave vote in the Brexit referendum.

SLC’s links to the Conservative party continues through the company’s chairman and venture capitalist Julian Wheatland. He also happens to be chairman of Oxfordshire Conservatives Association.

The organisation has also been funded by Jonathan Marland who is the former Conservative Party Treasurer, a trade envoy under David Cameron, and a close friend of Tory election strategist Lynton Crosby.

Property tycoon and Conservative party donor Vincent Tchenguiz was also the single largest SCL shareholder for a decade.

Meanwhile, another director is Gavin McNicoll, founder of counter-terrorism Eden Intelligence firm who ran a G8 Plus meeting on Financial Intelligence Cooperation at the behest of the British government.

Previous board members include Sir James Allen Mitchell, the former Prime Minister of the previous British colony St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Mitchell has been a privy counselor on the Queen’s advisory board since 1985.

The British military and royal establishment links to SCL are further highlighted through another director Rear Admiral John Tolhurst, a former assistant director of naval warfare in the Ministry of Defence and aide de camp to the Queen.

The Queen’s third cousin, Lord Ivar Mountbatten, was also sitting on SCL’s advisory board but it’s unclear if he still holds that role.

The above examples barely scrape the surface of just how deep the ties go between the UK defence establishment and Strategic Communication Laboratories.

Indeed, it seems evident that the organisation is a product of murky alliances formed between venture capitalists and former British military and intelligence officers. Unsurprisingly, they also happen to be closely tied to the higher echelons of the Conservative party.

International deception and meddling is the name of the game for SCL. We finally have the most concrete evidence yet of shadowy actors using dirty tricks in order to rig elections. But these characters aren’t operating from Moscow intelligence bunkers.

Instead, they are British, Eton educated, headquartered in the city of London and have close ties to Her Majesty’s government.

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2018/03/20/scl-a-very-british-coup/

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #110 on: March 21, 2018, 06:39:45 pm »
And you wonder why you're getting so many personalised ads??!!

No - don't try and be a smart-arse, it is beneath you.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2018, 06:41:32 pm »
No - don't try and be a smart-arse, it is beneath you.

It’s true though. You’ve allowed 113 apps to access your personal data which allows them to really personalise the sort of adverts you’re seeing.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2018, 07:00:45 pm »
It’s true though. You’ve allowed 113 apps to access your personal data which allows them to really personalise the sort of adverts you’re seeing.

None of which have anything to do with shopping or personality quizes taking your details to sell to quasi-government agencies - you've had your snide-arse remarks heard and warranted no responses to anything that went against your 'hot knowledge' of the internet and the inner-workings of these companies.

Let me remind you that you were the one trying to discredit the BBC for their reporting on the ability of phones' ability to listen in to conversations - and when you were given proof that it was possible, you magically disappeared and only turned up to hook onto another stream of debate - much like now.

I won't argue with you over the potential for apps could be used to push targeted ads, but without you having knowledge of what apps I had installed, you're just coming off as a complete and utter argumentative patsy. Most of the apps are for games, camera apps and cycling-related apps - if they are in the unlikely event responsible for a series of targeted ads, which I vehemently do not believe, then take it up in the the other thread; but I see you have already swanned along to do your thing so I will address your comments there.

Edit: There were two/three personality quizes from uni days, regardless, if you think that these companies are also selling that information to push targeted ads - cool, you win, boss!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:07:12 pm by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2018, 07:19:49 pm »
Well, ultimately the user allows the apps to harvest the data. The warnings are given as to what data will be made available to the companies.

Just out of curiosity have you read any of the interviews with Chris Wylie or watched any of the Channel 4 coverage at all? I'm not being snide but reading your comments you don't really seem to have a grasp of what it is CA have actually done.

This information was not volunteered up by Facebook users, CA exploited a loophole to gain access to deeply personal information that they should not have had access to.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #114 on: March 21, 2018, 07:21:43 pm »
Zucks former mentor is really tearing him apart with these allegations, and i'd well believe what he says. It's very much my line of thinking

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2018, 07:28:01 pm »
Just out of curiosity have you read any of the interviews with Chris Wylie or watched any of the Channel 4 coverage at all? I'm not being snide but reading your comments you don't really seem to have a grasp of what it is CA have actually done.

This information was not volunteered up by Facebook users, CA exploited a loophole to gain access to deeply personal information that they should not have had access to.

I wasn’t really commenting on CA in particular, it was more a reply to a comment that ultimately FB allow apps to harvest the data and I was pointing out that actually it is ultimately us, the user, who have control over the data we input into FB.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #116 on: March 21, 2018, 07:29:09 pm »
Snip

Touched a nerve?

My point was more a general one that, along with the endless amounts of date FB can garner via your posting habits, giving access to your data to such a huge number of apps will go even further to allowing your ads to be hugely personalised. After all, access to your data is exactly why these apps are created in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 07:30:50 pm by CraigDS »

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: March 21, 2018, 07:32:39 pm »
I wasn’t really commenting on CA in particular, it was more a reply to a comment that ultimately FB allow apps to harvest the data and I was pointing out that actually it is ultimately us, the user, who have control over the data we input into FB.

Which in this case is entirely untrue and largely irrelevant.

This data was obtained by users unwittingly agreeing to share data of their connections through a third party app, users who had not agreed in any form for their data to be made available through this app. They also took data, such as personal messages, which they were not warranted to take.

Not to mention the only time in which third party app owners are allowed to harvest the kind of data they did is for research purposes, which this data patently was not used for.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #118 on: March 21, 2018, 07:35:45 pm »
Touched a nerve?

My point was more a general one that, along with the endless amounts of date FB can garner via your posting habits, giving access to your data to such a huge number of apps will go even further to allowing your ads to be hugely personalised. After all, access to your data is exactly why these apps are created in the first place.

Yes you have, but not for the reasons that you are invariably fishing for. This is the last I will say on the matter and will only address you in the thread that you happily jiggled off to, balls-in-hand, to have another snarkfest.

You may think you have shown me up - but you have only shown yourself up.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 21, 2018, 07:45:11 pm »
Zuckerberg statement in full

I want to share an update on the Cambridge Analytica situation -- including the steps we've already taken and our next steps to address this important issue.

We have a responsibility to protect your data, and if we can't then we don't deserve to serve you. I've been working to understand exactly what happened and how to make sure this doesn't happen again. The good news is that the most important actions to prevent this from happening again today we have already taken years ago. But we also made mistakes, there's more to do, and we need to step up and do it.

Here's a timeline of the events:

In 2007, we launched the Facebook Platform with the vision that more apps should be social. Your calendar should be able to show your friends' birthdays, your maps should show where your friends live, and your address book should show their pictures. To do this, we enabled people to log into apps and share who their friends were and some information about them.

In 2013, a Cambridge University researcher named Aleksandr Kogan created a personality quiz app. It was installed by around 300,000 people who shared their data as well as some of their friends' data. Given the way our platform worked at the time this meant Kogan was able to access tens of millions of their friends' data.

In 2014, to prevent abusive apps, we announced that we were changing the entire platform to dramatically limit the data apps could access. Most importantly, apps like Kogan's could no longer ask for data about a person's friends unless their friends had also authorized the app. We also required developers to get approval from us before they could request any sensitive data from people. These actions would prevent any app like Kogan's from being able to access so much data today.

In 2015, we learned from journalists at The Guardian that Kogan had shared data from his app with Cambridge Analytica. It is against our policies for developers to share data without people's consent, so we immediately banned Kogan's app from our platform, and demanded that Kogan and Cambridge Analytica formally certify that they had deleted all improperly acquired data. They provided these certifications.

Last week, we learned from The Guardian, The New York Times and Channel 4 that Cambridge Analytica may not have deleted the data as they had certified. We immediately banned them from using any of our services. Cambridge Analytica claims they have already deleted the data and has agreed to a forensic audit by a firm we hired to confirm this. We're also working with regulators as they investigate what happened.

This was a breach of trust between Kogan, Cambridge Analytica and Facebook. But it was also a breach of trust between Facebook and the people who share their data with us and expect us to protect it. We need to fix that.

In this case, we already took the most important steps a few years ago in 2014 to prevent bad actors from accessing people's information in this way. But there's more we need to do and I'll outline those steps here:

First, we will investigate all apps that had access to large amounts of information before we changed our platform to dramatically reduce data access in 2014, and we will conduct a full audit of any app with suspicious activity. We will ban any developer from our platform that does not agree to a thorough audit. And if we find developers that misused personally identifiable information, we will ban them and tell everyone affected by those apps. That includes people whose data Kogan misused here as well.

Second, we will restrict developers' data access even further to prevent other kinds of abuse. For example, we will remove developers' access to your data if you haven't used their app in 3 months. We will reduce the data you give an app when you sign in -- to only your name, profile photo, and email address. We'll require developers to not only get approval but also sign a contract in order to ask anyone for access to their posts or other private data. And we'll have more changes to share in the next few days.

Third, we want to make sure you understand which apps you've allowed to access your data. In the next month, we will show everyone a tool at the top of your News Feed with the apps you've used and an easy way to revoke those apps' permissions to your data. We already have a tool to do this in your privacy settings, and now we will put this tool at the top of your News Feed to make sure everyone sees it.

Beyond the steps we had already taken in 2014, I believe these are the next steps we must take to continue to secure our platform.

I started Facebook, and at the end of the day I'm responsible for what happens on our platform. I'm serious about doing what it takes to protect our community. While this specific issue involving Cambridge Analytica should no longer happen with new apps today, that doesn't change what happened in the past. We will learn from this experience to secure our platform further and make our community safer for everyone going forward.

I want to thank all of you who continue to believe in our mission and work to build this community together. I know it takes longer to fix all these issues than we'd like, but I promise you we'll work through this and build a better service over the long term.