Author Topic: Cup Winners' Cup, UEFA Cup & Europa League Draft - Discussion thread  (Read 42396 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cup Winners' Cup, UEFA Cup & Europa League Draft - Discussion thread
« Reply #120 on: March 7, 2018, 03:01:44 pm »
Some teams will be absolutely pillaged.  ;D

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #121 on: March 7, 2018, 03:01:49 pm »
Just a thought, to avoid anyone picking an entire Liverpool line-up or some such, what about a no more than 3 picks from any one winning finalist rule?

Dunno, I was really looking forward to re-creating Mourinho's all-conquering 2017 Europa League champs!

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #122 on: March 7, 2018, 03:06:31 pm »
I was going to suggest that. I've drawn up a list and there are easily 16 great players per position. So we're all guaranteed to end up with quality sides with the current rules. Need to make this more challenging.

Interesting. I haven't made a list yet and I was expecting this to be a lot tougher.

Any other ideas what we could do to make it a teensy bit more interesting?

- maximum 2/3 players per winning finalist?

- must pick at least one player from a 70s, 80s, 90 & 00s final?

- no more than two players from any one nation?
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #123 on: March 7, 2018, 03:11:10 pm »
If everyone prefers an easy draft then that's fine too by the way. I'm going to stall my pick 'til we make a decision on this as I don't want it to affect people's pick choices.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: March 7, 2018, 03:12:08 pm »
Interesting. I haven't made a list yet and I was expecting this to be a lot tougher.

Any other ideas what we could do to make it a teensy bit more interesting?

- maximum 2/3 players per winning finalist?

- must pick at least one player from a 70s, 80s, 90 & 00s final?

- no more than two players from any one nation?

3 per club would be enough to make this a lot more challenging I feel. Simple rule yet limits your options enough to make it tricky.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: March 7, 2018, 03:12:52 pm »
Only one I'd go with is must have a 60/70/80/90/00 final winners.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #126 on: March 7, 2018, 03:12:59 pm »
Yeah I like the 3 per club limit.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: March 7, 2018, 03:13:11 pm »
If everyone prefers an easy draft then that's fine too by the way. I'm going to stall my pick 'til we make a decision on this as I don't want it to affect people's pick choices.

Same here. I'll go with the majority vote as well :wave

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #128 on: March 7, 2018, 03:19:17 pm »
3 per club rule seems popular so far.

If a player has won more than one final, should you have to choose which one on your pick or give that person the added flexibility to decide later?

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: March 7, 2018, 03:23:17 pm »
3 per club rule seems popular so far.

If a player has won more than one final, should you have to choose which one on your pick or give that person the added flexibility to decide later?

Wait are we talking about 3 per club or 3 per winning finalist? 3 per winning finalist is a bit too narrow I feel. Not many UEFA Cup finalist teams where we'd actually want 3 players from the same team. Ignore me if I am making no sense  :D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #130 on: March 7, 2018, 03:24:32 pm »
Wait are we talking about 3 per club or 3 per winning finalist? 3 per winning finalist is a bit too narrow I feel. Not many UEFA Cup finalist teams where we'd actually want 3 players from the same team.

Sorry, I meant 3 per winning finalist. Wouldn't 3 per club be even harder!?

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: March 7, 2018, 03:27:08 pm »
3 per winning finalist. Wouldn't 3 per club be even harder!?

It would be harder but that was what I was driving at :D

The winning finalist rule is too easy I feel. Most of us wouldn't even be considering 3 players from the same year. If 3 per club sounds too hard we could go with the "at least one player in each decade" rule.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #132 on: March 7, 2018, 03:30:41 pm »
It would be harder but that was what I was driving at :D

The winning finalist rule is too easy I feel. Most of us wouldn't even be considering 3 players from the same year. If 3 per club sounds too hard we could go with the "at least one player in each decade" rule.

I haven't made a list, but from a quick glance I can see loads of teams you'd be wanting to pick more that 3 players from. But on the flipside, with everyone else also picking from those teams then would that even ever come up as an issue? So maybe you're right.

3 per club sounds like it could be brutal. Not sure I could change the rules that drastically without everyone agreeing to it first.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: March 7, 2018, 03:33:55 pm »
Take the damn turn and stop over complicating things Betts.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #134 on: March 7, 2018, 03:34:07 pm »
What about 2 per winning finalist? Is that a happy medium?

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #135 on: March 7, 2018, 03:34:43 pm »
Take the damn turn and stop over complicating things Betts.

Nah mate, this shit needs ironing out now. As it will affect people's picks.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: March 7, 2018, 03:36:15 pm »
What about 2 per winning finalist? Is that a happy medium?

Sounds good! This plus one per decade? Or just this one, either way works for me.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: March 7, 2018, 03:36:21 pm »
If someone wants to pick 8 players from our 2001 Uefa Cup win let them.

I agree that the rule of picking one winner from each decade is a good one.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #138 on: March 7, 2018, 03:41:20 pm »
Can we get some more opinions from the floor? I know you're all lurking. If you don't want any rule changes then speak up.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #139 on: March 7, 2018, 03:43:56 pm »
I'm not fussed really. If people want rules bring in rules, I'll go with whatever everyone else wants.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #140 on: March 7, 2018, 03:47:33 pm »
Like both ideas but not really bothered either way.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #141 on: March 7, 2018, 03:51:15 pm »
Not sure about either.

Is it a certain number of players from a final or a club, for example a certain number of liverpool players or specifically from the 2001 final?

Then you've got players who have won with multiple clubs or in multiple decades, can they be picked twice for separate clubs/decades, if so do you have to say which club /decade you're selecting them?

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #142 on: March 7, 2018, 03:51:28 pm »
Well, I've made my pick, so at least we can carry on while this is being considered. I need to nip out for about an hour. Hopefully they'll be a vague consensus when I come back.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: March 7, 2018, 03:55:58 pm »
Once a player is picked,  we don't pick another version of the same player. We've never done that.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #144 on: March 7, 2018, 03:57:22 pm »
Not sure about either.

Is it a certain number of players from a final or a club, for example a certain number of liverpool players or specifically from the 2001 final?

Then you've got players who have won with multiple clubs or in multiple decades, can they be picked twice for separate clubs/decades, if so do you have to say which club /decade you're selecting them?

There is only one version of any player picked. The all-time one. It doesn't matter if they came off the bench at 45 for the final 10 seconds of the match, if you pick that guy then you're picking the prime version. The only stipulation is that they must have played in the final for the winning team.

So if any rules were changed, it wouldn't affect this basic idea.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #145 on: March 7, 2018, 03:59:04 pm »
Once a player is picked, that should be them gone, even if they played in multiple eras and won multiple trophies. A player can't play against themselves (unless it's Fellaini)
Better looking than Samie.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: March 7, 2018, 04:01:45 pm »
There is only one version of any player picked. The all-time one. It doesn't matter if they came off the bench at 45 for the final 10 seconds of the match, if you pick that guy then you're picking the prime version. The only stipulation is that they must have played in the final for the winning team.

So if any rules were changed, it wouldn't affect this basic idea.

Yeah got that, just you could have two of the same player then. Although I think you're saying if you pick a player nobody else can pick them even if they played for a different side or in a different decade.

Therefore, picking a player who spanned different decades and played for different clubs would be better for their flexibility, or would they count as a player for both sides so a limitation?
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline XabiArt

• Legacy Fan
  • The passmaster.
« Reply #147 on: March 7, 2018, 04:03:57 pm »
Can't we just do the draft as it was set up?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: March 7, 2018, 04:05:12 pm »
That's no Bodo.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #149 on: March 7, 2018, 04:11:30 pm »
Question:

Does the Fairs Cup count?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: March 7, 2018, 04:13:19 pm »
Nah mate, UEFA don't even recognise it.  :D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #151 on: March 7, 2018, 04:15:21 pm »
Having given it some thought, I think at least one rule (however small) is necessary. If only because as of now we're all just picking players from the exact same player source, with zero surprises in store.

So we can either do an era based rule. One from each of 70, 80, 90, 00's. Not too sure about the 10's and the 60's wouldn't really work without re-instating the Fairs Cup.

OR

2/3 per winning finalist. Without researching it, the club option could be a clusterfuck.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #152 on: March 7, 2018, 04:16:15 pm »
I feel like someone should warn Hellrazor that you can win a draft with Karius in goal......

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #153 on: March 7, 2018, 04:17:35 pm »
I feel like someone should warn Hellrazor that you can win a draft with Karius in goal......
haha

too late
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #154 on: March 7, 2018, 04:20:04 pm »
haha

too late

Honestly mate, if you want to change it you can. I know Trend and Djozer would have appreciated that warning on their first draft entry.

Online mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: March 7, 2018, 04:20:46 pm »
Having given it some thought, I think at least one rule (however small) is necessary. If only because as of now we're all just picking players from the exact same player source, with zero surprises in store.

So we can either do an era based rule. One from each of 70, 80, 90, 00's. Not too sure about the 10's and the 60's wouldn't really work without re-instating the Fairs Cup.

OR

2/3 per winning finalist. Without researching it, the club option could be a clusterfuck.

Decade rule would be my vote then.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: March 7, 2018, 04:22:21 pm »
Honestly mate, if you want to change it you can. I know Trend and Djozer would have appreciated that warning on their first draft entry.
na why would i wanna dump one of the greatest ever keepers?

ive plenty of players in mind to fill the other spots

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #157 on: March 7, 2018, 04:30:08 pm »
na why would i wanna dump one of the greatest ever keepers?

ive plenty of players in mind to fill the other spots

No worries, mate. Just offering the chance. Adore Buffon. But no one gives a shit about keepers, unfortunately.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: March 7, 2018, 04:31:51 pm »
No worries, mate. Just offering the chance. Adore Buffon. But no one gives a shit about keepers, unfortunately.
I was late to the dance with the last draft, was a little bemused to see Karius in the winning team but hey

am hoping one or two slip under the radar mind you

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #159 on: March 7, 2018, 04:33:35 pm »
I was late to the dance with the last draft, was a little bemused to see Karius in the winning team but hey

am hoping one or two slip under the radar mind you

All good, mate  :)  Just wanted to make sure you know the score as a few newbies complained that no-one warned them about this in past drafts.