Author Topic: Your personal favourite players-ever.  (Read 14153 times)

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
Re: Your personal favourite players-ever.
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2018, 05:31:21 pm »
The King, Rushie, Souness and Barnes for me. Non Liverpool players.... Maradona and Cruyff.  Used to love watching Bergkamp play too

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2018, 05:33:29 pm »
Serie A in the 90s  8)

Giuseppe Signori

Rui Costa & Batigol

Boban

Paolo Montero

Enrico Chiesa

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2018, 05:35:49 pm »
Stevie G V1.0  8)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2018, 06:07:09 pm »
To accompany some of my earlier choices. This is peak Henry. I know it's only Leeds, but he made it look like men versus boys around this time...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FHZ3V9qAqvg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FHZ3V9qAqvg</a>

Of course this goal from Kaka is enjoyable on many levels...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OTjsvvB3_xY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OTjsvvB3_xY</a>

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2018, 06:19:09 pm »
Phil Neal and Emlyn Hughes were always my favourite Liverpool players

Non-Liverpool were Mario Kempes (first World Cup (1978) I remember watching), also thought Socrates was a fantastic player and to this day, I have no idea how the Brazil team in 1982 failed to win the World Cup (pesky Italians!)
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2018, 06:27:06 pm »
Nope. They were collecting for a new disabled bus for kids a few years back. Some Everton players posed for photos, signed shirts and the like. He heard about it, walked off and came back with a cheque for the full amount of the bus.

Not too shabby behaviour that.

And it wasn't the last time either.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/duncan-ferguson-donates-coach-testimonial-12362484

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-hero-duncan-ferguson-pays-11281751

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/generous-everton-hero-duncan-ferguson-11414669

I know a few people that know him and he's a good lad.

Regardless of all that, he was a shite player.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2018, 07:00:50 pm »

Some great shouts there, Betty mate.

Granted, that's because half of them were my shouts first but still, exquisite taste...

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2018, 07:49:07 pm »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2018, 07:49:30 pm »
Ian Rush
Sami Hyppia
Jari Litmanen
Luis Suarez
Luis Garcia
Justice for the 96!

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2018, 07:59:15 pm »
Paul Scholes!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2018, 08:00:18 pm »
Paul Scholes!

That guy in your avatar!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2018, 08:35:57 pm »
That guy in your avatar!
Oof yes, what a player he was.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2018, 08:49:24 pm »
Andrew Robertson.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2018, 09:57:08 pm »
For Liverpool, Robbie Fowler and Xabi Alonso.

Elsewhere, it’s Michael Laudrup and well, Xabi Alonso. Honourable mention to Litmanen, Bergkamp, Guardiola and Redondo. These last few years I’ve really enjoy watching Luka Modric as well.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:59:44 pm by Roger Federer »

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2018, 10:22:00 pm »
When I was a kid, Souness was my idol. Loved Kenny, too, but everyone did and I've never been one to follow the crowd. Souness was cool. He was a great footballer but also a shithouse, happy to nobble an opponent and fiercely protective of his teammates. I had some Top Trumps of footballers and they said he was 5-foot 11-and-a-half. I wanted to be 5-foot 11-and-a-half. And am. Never done the Souey 'tache, though; that'd be too much. I tried to model my game on him when I played, but ended up more Robbie Savage. Pity Souey besmirched his legacy by being a shit manager for us, then selling his story to the scum.

Given their respective lives, however, Kenny wins hands down, though. A legend of a player and a legend of a man. I have nothing but admiration for him.

Non-Liverpool: Socrates. Totally opposite style of player (and person!) to Souness but utterly cool as fuck. Just used to stroll round the pitch bossing it; his positioning & reading of the game was superb. And could he pick a pass! It was as I got older (and after he'd stopped playing) that I learned about his hugely courageous stance against the military dictatorship in Brazil, and his outspoken politics. He once said the three people he admired most were Che Guervara, Fidel Castro and John Lennon. He'll do for me. Throw in that he smoked like a chimney, drank like a fish - and was an actual doctor  :D Just a pity his party lifestyle ended up killing him at a tragically young age

My favourite post in this thread!

Great shout about Dr.Soc too.

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2018, 10:39:23 pm »
Maldini, Nesta and Cannavaro

Xabi Alonso, Daniel Agger,
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2018, 11:12:46 pm »
An all time favourite of mine was Javier Zanetti, what a fantastic player and great person to match.

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2018, 11:18:37 pm »
Excellent thread and some great shouts throughout.  It's really really tough to narrow it down to one of each!

LFC:  Gonna have to go with the height of the peak of adoration rather than the duration - so for me it is Torres.  There was a point, perhaps when he made Vidic look a fool, that I reached peak love!  What a player when he was ours and he was at his best.  The memory is jaded now, but teleporting to those heady days, I frickin loved him - he was untouchable.  Honorable mentions to Xabi and God

Now LFC;  I think Zidane.  So so tough, but he nudges it from the Dutch masters Gullit, Van Basten and Bergkamp.  Loved Asprilla and Ginola when they were flying too.  But Zidane, that style, that grace, the floating - and the butting!!! I think I loved him more after that fantastic head-butt! 

Thanks to the OP - great thread!
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2018, 11:20:35 pm »
*Consults draft list...

Yep.

Haha, this thread definitely fits in well with the Hipster draft.

"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2018, 11:28:46 pm »

snip

How could I have forgotten Jay Jay Okocha!!!  What a gem!  So good they named him twice! 
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2018, 11:36:02 pm »
How could I have forgotten Jay Jay Okocha!!!  What a gem!  So good they named him twice!

Was thinking about him before!

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2018, 11:39:27 pm »

Even 28 years later I still find the whole Schillaci thing mental. The most perfect storm in football history until Leicester won the league.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2018, 11:45:07 pm »
From LFC, 100% has to be John Barnes. So far ahead of his time in the English game it was almost laughable at times how good he was. Definitely one of those players who was a bridge from the 'old' game to the modern.

As for elsewhere, domestically I would say Gazza, just because he was so unpredictable and a massive wind-up merchant to boot, plus he was just born with it. From the rest of the world, well, I would have to take my pick from the early 90's AC Milan team that lit up my youth on Sunday afternoons on Football Italia. Baresi, Maldini, Van Basten, Gullit.... fuck, what a team.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2018, 11:46:51 pm »

Some great childhood memories coming back there - Boban and James Richardson making in jokes together whilst sipping on cappuccinos in some piazza on Saturday mornings on Ch4, Caniggia rocking the Bon Jovi poodle-rock look, Recoba showing up that other buck toothed South American on their joint Inter debuts, Boli breaking Stuart Pearce's leg on the pitch but Psycho 'running it off', Leonardo's brother lighting up PSG before they struck oil and, of course, Schillaci timing his purple patch to perfection...

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2018, 11:50:41 pm »
Pavel Nedved

Juan Roman Riquelme

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2018, 11:55:17 pm »
Nope. They were collecting for a new disabled bus for kids a few years back. Some Everton players posed for photos, signed shirts and the like. He heard about it, walked off and came back with a cheque for the full amount of the bus.

Not too shabby behaviour that.

And it wasn't the last time either.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/duncan-ferguson-donates-coach-testimonial-12362484

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-hero-duncan-ferguson-pays-11281751

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/generous-everton-hero-duncan-ferguson-11414669

I know a few people that know him and he's a good lad.
Always thought he was a shithouse but that's top quality from Duncan, fair dues, serves as a lesson to never judge a book by its cover.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2018, 11:58:41 pm »
Disappointed at the lack of hipster shouts in here. To that end:

I'll raise you a Magico Gonzalez.  ;D

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1gcL5rqMqnk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1gcL5rqMqnk</a>

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2018, 08:15:06 am »
West Ham - Trevor Brooking

First idol was Trev great player & real gentlemen  . Silky skilled deft touch & vision .

Non - West Ham - Graeme Souness

The ultimate midfielder, tough, skilful, ruthless, complete desire & could score .

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2018, 08:33:45 am »
Even 28 years later I still find the whole Schillaci thing mental. The most perfect storm in football history until Leicester won the league.

Yeah,was a great World cup overall for me with stories like Toto Schillaci and Milla and lots of very evenly fought games.
That german team was a wrecking ball though,good memories. :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:38:08 am by Tobelius »

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2018, 09:00:34 am »
Players who I have seen them play:
Liverpool: Gerrard, Torres, Xabi, Suarez, Sami, Reina and Maxi.
Non-LFC: Pirlo, Messi, Xavi, Zidane, Ballack, Ronaldo (R9), Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Henry, Buffon, Lahm, Maldini and Zanetti.
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2018, 01:24:28 pm »
George Weah not getting enough love, what a player, not that he cares now, El presidente .

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2018, 02:48:39 pm »
I'll raise you a Magico Gonzalez.  ;D

Aiyee, you have outhipstered me sir. Never even heard of that lad, looks class though.

Not as good a shout, but I always liked Edmundo. We don't have enough mental footballers these days, they're all boring teetotal airbrushed mannequins and they don't even get cool nicknames anymore. Not like The Animal. Made a tit out of Silvestre too (not any great feat, but still) that one time.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9iJihpkAoE0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9iJihpkAoE0</a>

George Weah not getting enough love, what a player, not that he cares now, El presidente .
Another excellent shout. Loved that goal he scored against Vicenza or Verona, can never remember which.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2018, 04:13:31 pm »
^^^

Is the one when he ran about 70 yards? Remember watching it live on C4, no social media or mobiles so had to wait til school the next day to see if anyone else had seen it. Maybe two others had and hat was it. A goal like that would be all over social media within seconds of going in these days.

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2018, 04:30:22 pm »
Top 5 Liverpool - Gerrard, Torres, Agger, Xabi, Suarez

Top 5 Non Liverpool - Messi, Puyol, Henry, Isco, Ronaldinho

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2018, 04:40:32 pm »
^^^

Is the one when he ran about 70 yards? Remember watching it live on C4, no social media or mobiles so had to wait til school the next day to see if anyone else had seen it. Maybe two others had and hat was it. A goal like that would be all over social media within seconds of going in these days.

Yeah man, ran box to box beating half the team. Never seen anything quite like it. Mad shit. Another 90s Football Italia legend.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2018, 05:39:22 pm »
Don't want to sound contrary but I think both Weah and that goal are a little overrated.

His goal scoring rate isn't good for a striker, I doubt he'd even make my top 30 90s forwards.

For the goal he's barely challenged and actually loses possession half way through the run! The way he beats the last defender is lovely though. I know there's the novelty factor of running from your own area but I honestly reckon we must see at least half a dozen better goals in top flight football every season.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rwOLi3J4Y78" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rwOLi3J4Y78</a>

Offline FinnanTastic

• Anny Roader
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2018, 06:05:20 pm »
Top 5 Lfc : 1 Fowler 2 Alonso 3 Berger 4 Gerrard 5 Torres

Top 5 Non Lfc : 1 Nedved 2 Ronaldhino 3 Pirlo 4 Seedorf 5 Di Rossi

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2018, 06:47:46 pm »
Don't want to sound contrary but I think both Weah and that goal are a little overrated.
Sometime around 2000 some pals dragged me out one hungover Saturday to The Valley for Charlton v Man City.  They were either both in the Championship or had both just been promoted, I forget which, but I looked it up recently and was surprised to say the least to find that Weah was playing that day.  I had no memory of him coming to England at all, let alone actually seeing him in the flesh.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2018, 06:51:58 pm »
Sometime around 2000 some pals dragged me out one hungover Saturday to The Valley for Charlton v Man City.  They were either both in the Championship or had both just been promoted, I forget which, but I looked it up recently and was surprised to say the least to find that Weah was playing that day.  I had no memory of him coming to England at all, let alone actually seeing him in the flesh.

Would have been the Premier League, he scored twice at Anfield in a game we won 3-2 with Hamann scored two for us. He also scored against us for Chelsea, he had a spell there on loan towards the end of 99/00.

I heard a good stat on the radio the other day. Having just been elected President if Liberia, George Welsh is the first head of state to have played under Joe Royle.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2018, 06:56:19 pm »

Yeah had brief stints at Chelsea and Manchester City. He wasn't he first member of his family to play in the Premier League of course...