Author Topic: RIP Carl van Riel (Sir Harvest Fields) 17/11/17- RAWKs JustGiving Xmas Miracle!  (Read 147776 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
***EDIT - JUSTGIVING LINK HERE! https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/ripcarlvanriel***

Morning everyone.
I’m sorry to tell you all that my little brother passed away at 330 this morning. I have no more words. I am simply heartbroken. X

Many of you will know of our very own Sir Harvest Fields, or Carl to some, and many will also be aware from the Alcohol Issues thread he started some years ago that he faces serious health problems as a result.

Some of you will have seen the news shared by Mediocre Baron Bennekov that Carl's condition has taken a serious turn for the worse.

At RAWK we like to look after our own and, when adversity strikes, we know we can depend on each other to offer support.

So that's what we're asking for now - messages of support, well-wishing and of course the usual degree of banter and piss-taking (whilst remaining sensitive to the severity of the situation).

How severe is it? Well, very. We cannot and should not sugar-coat this. In the words of Carl's sisters, via Bennekov:
Quote from: Mediocre Baron Bennekov
This one is difficult for me to post so I’ll just copy/paste Carl’s sister’s message to me:

“Ok. I really do not know where to start. I will try to avoid war and peace but there is a lot to digest.

Carl has end stage liver failure. Acute Cirrhosis I believe the term is.

He is being pumped full of antibiotics to prevent peritonitis (sepsis) as this alone can be life threatening.

The meeting I had with his doctor was pretty unpleasant. In a nutshell he is not a suitable candidate for a liver transplant. Which pretty much is the only thing that could help.

a) because his body is in such a bad way and his overall health is questionable they cannot risk the operation as they do not think he will survive it due to the potential difficulties that may arise as they won't be operating on a strong healthy individual.
b) Even if they felt the chances of Carl surviving the op were average/good they would look at his aftercare once he leaves 'medical support'

Carl's history of alcohol related hospital admissions are a factor. I saw his file . It's embarrassingly thick. They do not feel Carl would follow a strict regime of lifelong medication to protect the new liver or adopt a healthy alcohol free lifestyle.

The panel has discussed this and I do not think family or even Carl can overturn that decision.

They are concerned about Carl's mental capacity and cannot discuss his health or care, which is why they have asked us to consider DNR in the event his body goes into shock, which I guess is what they are expecting.

This is all a bit surreal and to be honest I cannot take it in.

I subsequently went to see Carl and as best I could I explained what the doctor discussed but not the subject of DNR. He was lucid. He's been an arse refusing meds and I bollocked him and then I'm afraid I gave it to him all barrels.

After delivering a very blunt summary of Carl's life and reminding him of his recent statement of 'why won't you just leave me alone to die' I asked him if that is really what he wanted. I told him if it was then he was so close to getting his wish he only had to wait a while.

He told me he does not want to die, he told me he was scared and he wanted another chance,  a fresh start....he wants to be put on a transplant list. I have explained to him the doctors views. He still wants the chance.

I left telling him to do what ever it took to get his current health threat under control, to take his medication and not be a dick. I told him I would be back again tomorrow and that we would pick up from there.

Now, how do I tell my brother that this is it? 

He looked a scared tragic little boy who was lost. After all these years I actually think he's just realised that he's made some catastrophic choices and knows there are no more chances for him.

If the hospital has got him medically stable they anticipate that he will go into palliative care where he will be kept free from infection and pain until the body naturally gives up.

He's 43.........”
Ok this is not looking good at all. Latest update on Carl - again it’s copy/paste from his other sister:

“They explained that because of how bad he is, he could at any time “bleed out “ from his back passage/stomach fluid will leak into his body etc. If this happens he would end up in itu with a tube where he could be there for months, have brain damage and may not survive anyway.

Basically what they’re asking us is “should this happen do we resuscitate and he goes to itu or not.”

If he doesn’t go into shock, they are talking about palliative care , in a special unit. I asked if all the tests they run every day are showing improvement or not. He said no, worse. He has something called hepatic encephalopathy which is worsening. He has a build up of ammonia which is a major cause for concern too.”
Just to make one thing clear: I’m posting these updates in full agreement with Carl’s sisters and I’m not posting anything they haven’t given their blessing.

It's incredibly hard to know how to respond to something like this - but we would like you to to try. We received a request to dedicate a thread that can be addressed to Carl specifically, to give him encouragement, to let him know we care and also to give him Reasons To Smile.

To kick that off, here's an image I asked to be created, courtesy of our very own Capon Debaser (who else?!You gotta love RAWK for teamwork eh?, that we believe will raise a smile anywhere.

Carl, we know you love LFC and kittens!!!!!!!

Any further pictorial contributions are most welcome - especially ones involving kittens!!!!!

Carl, thinking of you mate........you're not walking alone pal.......
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 05:13:45 pm by Forever Christmas Radio – Christmas Music Mix 24/7 »

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

When Carl thought about a dog

That night, that Carl

Carl in more familiar surroundings
« Last Edit: November 9, 2017, 10:55:03 pm by Harinder »
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
That's a huge pussy.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
Dr Carl Evil's Mini-Carl!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
Carl loves his music...........he's a dancing queen...........

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
Thinking of you mate.xx

Offline bogrollsbike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Read a lot of his posts over the years and just want to wish him my best.hope he pulls through this.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

When he met Jim!

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan

When he met Jim!
I'm much prettier than that in real life. Carl, you'll find this out soon. Whereas I hear from your sisters that you are fuck-uglier than this in real life. I guess I'll find that out soon too.......

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thinking of you and your loved ones Carl.

I've never met you but over many years have enjoyed your unique perspective and mad sense of humour! Not to mention massively respected your brave, direct and often brutal honesty.

I know it's been an inspiration to far more people than just me, just look at that one thread in particular. Each and every one of those posts in there has played a part in another persons attempts to battle their own troubles, and helped family and friends of people with similar problems try to improve their support. I think that's an incredibly positive legacy, which Carl can be extremely proud of.

x

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Was a privilege to meet you in Norwich Carl - get well and feel better!

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
All joking aside, all of us thinking of you

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Been following that alcohol thread from the start.

Carl you've come a long way and I sincerely hope you'll be given a chance to keep going mate. All the best!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline kevlumley

• Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
Not easy to know what to write or say, but not an excuse. You are family, we are your family, we sincerely hope you get your chance, grab it, embrace it and cherish it with all your will power.

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
Not easy to know what to write or say, but not an excuse. You are family, we are your family, we sincerely hope you get your chance, grab it, embrace it and cherish it with all your will power.
That's beautifully put and captures the essence of the intention behind this thread. Thank you.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
#14  :lmao

all the best Sir H

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Sir Afghan

• "I, Stan!" Has the softest beard.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sir Harvest Fields aka Carl in hospital - RAWKites' Well-wishing Thread (*)
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 12:01:09 am »
My mum has been reading rawk for the last 10+ years and without question you've always been her favourite poster. We've spoken about you dozens of times, you've made her laugh and cry. All the best mate, we're thinking of you.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 12:09:20 am »
Stay strong and keep fighting mate, God bless you, I hope you pull through, you can do this!

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 12:15:41 am »

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 02:13:55 am »
All the best Carl.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 02:59:39 am »
I've had no intention of ever posting again, and still don't. But Babu has been posting some barnstorming stuff, and I saw this as I was checking out whether he'd posted again.

SHF and I never really talked football, but we did chat about our shared experiences in life.

So, Carl -

You're a good soul. All the blessings in the universe to you.

You're worth a hundred of me, and you put a smile on a lot of people's faces with your humour and wit.

We're Liverpool - we know that somethings things take a wrong turn, and other times miracles happen. We never know which way its going to go, but we always take on the challenge, because we're Reds, and that's what we do, even if it wears us down.

I have a truck load of ashtrays for you, and I'll give you a go in my black cab. I won't even charge you a fare.

Be strong and be brave, whatever the world throws at you. They don't make them like you anymore.

Cheers,

PoP
Better looking than Samie.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 03:08:53 am »

Crikey, that's no sleep for me tonight....terrifying!

All the best Carl lad, we are all thinking of you mate. YNWA.
We are Liverpool!

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 07:01:28 am »
:lmao at these works of art.

All the best mate. YNWA.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline GrandOldAuntieHelenVanriel

• Kings Lynn? More like Vera Lynn! :) Norfolk Granny 2018 Award.
  • Main Stander
  • no one is free. Even birds are chained to the sky
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 07:18:00 am »
Hey everyone.
It's Carl's bossy big sister Helen here. I've been keeping up with all the comments and words of kindness and support and I just had to post something to show my appreciation. I am overwhelmed by you all. I know Carl would be too. I'm hoping to have a very clear picture by the evening of Carl's chances of recovery. I will keep you all posted of course. Once again, thank you, from all his family, you are a hell of a bunch xxx
The trouble is, you think you have time....

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 07:20:06 am »
Capon you are an artistic genius!

Carl, all the best, thinking of you...   get better and get that Kawasaki back on the road soon  :wave

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 07:23:17 am »
Good luck Carl, really glad to have met you. You’re a top man and deserve to pull through this. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 07:30:30 am »
Not had the pleasure of meeting you but been reading your comments on here over the years and always come across and someone with a great sense of humour. Good luck and hope you pull through.

Online rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 07:38:28 am »
All the best Carl

Thinking of you and your family

YNWA

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 07:49:29 am »
I've never really interacted on here with you Carl, but I've always enjoyed reading what you have to say. You've had me laughing out loud at times, almost in tears at others. Stay strong mate. Thinking of you and your loved ones.

Just always remember, You'll Never Walk Alone.

Offline red_lfc_costello

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 07:51:31 am »
I don't know Carl personally but have interacted with him on here a few times. Wishing him and his family the best x

YNWA
You appear to hve mistaken 'the funny photo thread' for the 'pointless, pre-pubescent nonsensical not even porn but "look, look, it's a girl" thread'

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 07:52:49 am »
Stay strong Carl, know everyone on here is willing you on to make it. Remember the longest night will end and the sun will rise. God bless you Carl and your family, keep fighting.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 07:55:57 am »
All the best, thoughts are with you.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 07:56:39 am »
All the best, keep fighting.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 07:57:56 am »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NiLXv7aI7bA

All the best to you, Carl. Always read your posts and got a a few things out of them myself.

Don't know how to embed the image above, it's only 10 seconds, but I hope you like it.

Yours,
David.

(trying to embed! <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/NiLXv7aI7bA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch/v/NiLXv7aI7bA</a>
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:16:23 am by 24/7 »
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2017, 08:00:45 am »
The whole of RAWK is praying that you pull through this mate
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2017, 08:13:58 am »
All the best, Carl. Keep fighting, mate.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2017, 08:15:01 am »
Sorry to hear this, like most on here, ive never met Carl,. but have read plenty of his posts ,  some of them have you in stitches, others have you welling up.
Hoping things work out for ya m8
JFT 96