Author Topic: Rugby League World Cup (2021/22)  (Read 25724 times)

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Rugby League World Cup (2017)
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2017, 04:41:00 pm »
Guess a World Cup match is bigger than what was a glorified friendly in Union too?

Well Rugby League in general is way bigger than Union in Australia.  Union is a niche sport in OZ.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2017, 06:00:45 pm »
Well Rugby League in general is way bigger than Union in Australia.  Union is a niche sport in OZ.

True enough. League appeals more to the lower IQ roided up Aussie population I guess.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2017, 12:23:32 am »
True enough. League appeals more to the lower IQ roided up Aussie population I guess.

Now I'm a Union man so much better but going to the RLWC Q/F here in Darwin as I can watch league & not much sports happens in Darwin

It's infuriating how much coverage here the NRL gets over Union it's about 80/20 swing .

I've a theory though the NRL & AFL pretty much dominate the sports channels for most of the year

Kids are  attracted to them to play there the most glamorous the premier league equivalent here .

Now from an English perspective it's a bonus as the decline in Aussie sports over last 10-20 years is due to this .
Be it cricket, rugby union, tennis, athletics even football. Australia aren't the force they were say through the 80's & 90's

Individual sports take more dedication in some aspects but the kids are attracted to the NRL & AFL and on the international level both sports are shit or non existent

Just a thought 😎

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2017, 06:06:28 am »
Unfortunately so.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2017, 10:05:16 am »

Or maybe they just enjoy the better game.

It doesn't help when a sport is so driven by those who only attend private schools.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 10:08:45 am by puroresu_kid »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: November 3, 2017, 10:36:29 am »
Australia just going through the motions against France.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: November 3, 2017, 11:41:13 am »
Australia just going through the motions against France.

France need another side in Super League.  Sooner they get Toulouse in Super League the better.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: November 4, 2017, 09:44:32 am »
Why is there an English referee refereeing the England match?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #88 on: November 4, 2017, 09:53:50 am »
Or maybe they just enjoy the better game.

It doesn't help when a sport is so driven by those who only attend private schools.

In Australia or here? Fair few of the England union team are from non private school backgrounds I’d say (but mainly because they’re League converts or raised in other parts of the world in fairness. :D ).

I just wanted a cheap shot at the Asuusie anyway. England doing ok against Australia C here after a slow start. Piss poor crowd given it’s in Sydney though? Loads of ex pats there, loads of Aussies with Lebanese background, League loving city and yet it looks empty.

Is everyone just waiting for the knockouts at this point?

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: November 4, 2017, 10:56:23 am »
Pretty flat by England second half. Couple of forward passes called in promising positions that seemed marginal at best.

Impressed by Lebanon though- did the basics very well and kept going to the end when I thought they would tire.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: November 4, 2017, 11:02:45 am »
Pretty poor from England.

The ref was shocking.

Not sure Gale is good enough and maybe give George Williams a go.

In Australia or here? 

Australia

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: November 4, 2017, 02:18:38 pm »
Decent win against Australia D but as said previously that ref was shocking.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: November 4, 2017, 02:19:51 pm »
Other results from today are:

New Zealand 74-6 Scotland

Samoa 18-32 Tonga

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 5, 2017, 10:40:28 am »

So you have to be thick to prefer league over union? Is that what you are implying?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 5, 2017, 02:15:18 pm »
Today's Results:

PNG 14-6 Ireland

Italy 46-0 USA

Fiji 72-6 Wales

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: November 7, 2017, 10:50:14 pm »
The Rugby League World Cup is viewed as a "third tier competition" in Australia, says Wales coach John Kear. http://bbc.in/2Ai0OXy

The Rugby League World Cup is viewed as a "third-tier competition" in Australia, says Wales coach John Kear.

Kear believes the tournament, which has reached the halfway stage, is viewed as inferior to the State of Origin and the NRL.

"You have got to have wake-up calls and I think we are getting one," Kear said.

"I get the impression from speaking to people involved in the game in the southern hemisphere that this is looked upon as a third-tier comp," he said.

"They say State of Origin is the top tier, followed by NRL and this is seen as a standard below NRL and it probably is," he continued.

"And that is reflected in the interest shown in it."

The State of Origin series is the annual best-of-three rugby league match series between Australia's two major teams, Queensland and New South Wales, while the NRL is the league competition featuring clubs from across Australasia.

We trained at the North Queensland Cowboys training ground and those facilities just knock anything in the Super League into a cocked hat.

"So, they not only have a greater player pool, but I also believe they have got a better development path and a better performance path at the elite end and results are showing that.

"I do not want to depress everyone, but results are showing just how good the southern hemisphere teams really are."

Kear, who is full-time head of rugby at Super League club Wakefield, says the new pay agreement reached between the NRL and its players will help widen the gap further and argues Super League falls way behind their Australasian counterparts when it comes to player welfare issues.

Scotland and Wales were particularly badly hit by player unavailability for the World Cup.

"I think southern hemisphere players make themselves available because they have got six weeks off at the end of it, while a lot of northern hemisphere players will go back and have two weeks break maximum," he said.

"That is no good for anyone."

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #96 on: November 7, 2017, 10:57:16 pm »
So you have to be thick to prefer league over union? Is that what you are implying?

Not really. I was just failing miserably in trying to have a cheap dig at The Aussies.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 8, 2017, 12:41:42 am »
The Rugby League World Cup is viewed as a "third tier competition" in Australia, says Wales coach John Kear. http://bbc.in/2Ai0OXy

There is some truth in this. The facilities comments are spot on but that's more down to money. The NRL and Rugby League is big in Australia. You can watch 2nd tier rugby league in Australia and the standard is very high. They have a much deeper playing pool.

Now as for the attitude to the international game, I would say that is self inflicted. Australia have been a barrier to growing the international game and state of origin has become more important than playing for Australia. They shouldn't of allowed that to happen.

In sports like cricket or rugby union international competition is the peak and the governing body will ensure there is a regular calendar. Rugby league doesn't have that gifdrnjjg body as the NRL takes priority. The international game can only grow and improve when Australia decides it will benifit the game long term to have it grow.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #98 on: November 8, 2017, 10:02:00 am »
What can they do to help it? Even if their players view Origin as more important Australia will always be hit favourites to win a World Cup. Before every tournament you know in advance it will almost certainly be Australia by NZ or England in the final.

In Union there’s still only a handful of teams who could realistically win it but despite New Zealand’s dominance of late it does generally feel slightly more open.

By the way, Jermaine McGillvary has been cleared of a charge of biting that would have seen him miss the rest of the tournament. Seemed an odd one from the start.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 8, 2017, 10:22:47 am »
What can they do to help it? Even if their players view Origin as more important Australia will always be hit favourites to win a World Cup. Before every tournament you know in advance it will almost certainly be Australia by NZ or England in the final.

In Union there’s still only a handful of teams who could realistically win it but despite New Zealand’s dominance of late it does generally feel slightly more open.

By the way, Jermaine McGillvary has been cleared of a charge of biting that would have seen him miss the rest of the tournament. Seemed an odd one from the start.

Grow the game in different regions.  There is no reason why League cant be the dominant sport in Fiji, Tonga and Samoa.  Put more money into the game in PNG where they are League crazy.  Get more teams from the Pacific islands playing in the 2nd tier of Rugby League in Australia.

Change the rules of playing in Origin.  Currently you can only play in Origin if you also declare allegiance to Australia.  I would change that as players get paid so well for playing in Origin they wont turn it down even if it means having to represent Australia.

I would make the rules saying anyone who played Junior footy in NSW or Queensland can play in Origin regardless of their nationality.  This would at least help maybe the pacific islands and even NZ who lose talent to Australia.

Use Rugby League 9's as a vehicle to get more 2nd and 3rd tier nations playing the game regularly.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/29/rugby-league-nine-a-side-world-cup-nines

The Rugby League International Federation is aiming to break new ground in 2019 with the introduction of a Nines World Cup for the first time as part of long‑term plans to expand and popularise the game at international level in the style of Twenty20 cricket.

The sport has some experience with a shortened nine-a-side format already, with the National Rugby League hosting a pre-season nines tournament for the past four years. However, at a meeting on Tuesday the RLIF board agreed to introduce an international nines tournament, which will complement England’s tour to Australia and New Zealand in the same year.

The concept, similar to sevens in rugby union, has attracted praise since its debut in 2014, with the NRL’s changes to the traditional rules including nine-minute halves, unlimited interchanges and extra points being awarded for tries scored in a “bonus zone”. It has not been confirmed whether the RLIF will adopt those rules for its own nines event. A decision will then be made following that tournament to determine whether it becomes a regular fixture on the international calendar.

I think the rules of Rugby Union allow inferior sides to compete more. In Union you can do your best to spoil a game.

League doesn't really have that option. If you cant front up physically there is no way out.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2017, 08:53:46 am »
Tonga beat New Zealand. Great result for them.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2017, 08:58:06 am »
How are Ireland doing?

That website is a chore to navigate.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2017, 01:31:43 pm »
Today's Results:

New Zealand 22-28 Tonga

Samoa 14-14 Scotland

Australia 34-0 Lebanon

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2017, 01:33:00 pm »
How are Ireland doing?

Played 2
Won 1
Lost 1

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2017, 01:33:57 pm »
Wow, so Tonga and their defected Kiwis beat NZ. That must it the cat amongst the pigeons?! I think it means if England do what they should they’re more likely to play Tonga in the semis now? And therefore Australia will probably play NZ?

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2017, 06:24:58 pm »
The atmosphere at that nz v Tonga game was brilliant.

Surprised but not really shocked at the result. Tonga have some very very good players. Would be a very tough game for england

Offline murphs316

• Kopite
  • 5 Star Heros to 7 Hit Wonders
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2017, 01:39:31 pm »
How are Ireland doing?

Ireland finished with a better record than England and 2 others in the quarter finals and are out lol what a joke of a system.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2017, 02:08:19 pm »
Ireland finished with a better record than England and 2 others in the quarter finals and are out lol what a joke of a system.

Weird system but the groups were weighted with the strongest teams in a couple of groups. If Ireland and England swapped places it’s more than unlikely you’d have have a better record then.

Does render the group stages a bit pointless when for the bigger teams it was more about determining a route to the later stages than ensuring who goes through although NZ have slipped up as a result.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2017, 04:45:10 pm »

RL suffers hugely from a chasm in terms of ability between the top teams and the bottom. The RL authorities have scratched around over previous World Cups to try to find a formula that makes for a workable combination of including as many teams as possible, reducing the incidences of real twattings, and ensuring that the bigger teams are not knocked out early at the expense of a minnow.

So they created a two-tier group stage. The top-tier has 3 out of 4 teams in each of the 2 groups qualifying for the QF's; the lower tier provides just one - the top-finishing - team from each of the 2 groups.

I think it's the closest they've come to solving the problem

In the wider sense, it's been a fairly decent world cup so far - some really good games amongst the inevitable poorer ones (the Tonga-NZ match was fantastic)

PNG are going to give England a hell of a game and the atmosphere should be superb. Fiji are also going to be tough for NZ to beat. Aus should stroll past Samoa (but I hope there's a lot of Samoan physicality!), whilst Tonga should beat Lebanon/AusC but I don't think it'll be a walkover.

So out of 4 QF games, there's likely to be 3 keenly-contested games, with one a more comfortable win. I think that's progress. Even if Australia will win it again.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2017, 04:54:31 pm »
Christ Scotland were unlucky not to win that on Saturday.  3 valiant drop goal attempts all missing by a knats bollock.

Also the looks of bemusement on the NZ players faces when they got outplayed by Tonga was a sight to behold...Err that wasn't supposed to happen sort of look :)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2017, 04:59:11 pm »

You have to keep the big boys happy.

It's why Rugby League will never surpass Rugby Union.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2017, 05:27:47 pm »
Irish moaning about England shocker.

The international version of Everton.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2017, 06:40:14 pm »
You have to keep the big boys happy.

It's why Rugby League will never surpass Rugby Union.

Glad you read the detailed explanation above from Bear One. Or maybe you did but ignored it anyway. :D

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 13, 2017, 07:08:04 pm »
Glad you read the detailed explanation above from Bear One. Or maybe you did but ignored it anyway. :D
I did read his explanation. I'm clueless when it comes to RL. Seems like the cricket all over.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #114 on: November 13, 2017, 07:41:11 pm »
I did read his explanation. I'm clueless when it comes to RL. Seems like the cricket all over.

They basically created pools with in theory the strongest sides with 3 out of 4 going through and then pools made up of ‘the best of the rest’ with only the group winners qualifying. Bit of an imbalance to say the least but it was done with the aim of avoiding complete mismatches that are no good for anyone.

In short though, if Ireland had taken England’s place they’d have been drubbed by Australia (as would almost anyone) and probably lost the other two games as well so to say they had a better record is a bit misleading, even if statistically true.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2017, 01:25:08 am »
They basically created pools with in theory the strongest sides with 3 out of 4 going through and then pools made up of ‘the best of the rest’ with only the group winners qualifying. Bit of an imbalance to say the least but it was done with the aim of avoiding complete mismatches that are no good for anyone.

In short though, if Ireland had taken England’s place they’d have been drubbed by Australia (as would almost anyone) and probably lost the other two games as well so to say they had a better record is a bit misleading, even if statistically true.

So it's to keep the big boys happy?

How do smaller teams improve, if they're constantly playing other no-hopers?

At least in the cricket they're upfront about it, if you aren't posh, you aren't in.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:46:48 am by Anywhichwayucan »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2017, 06:56:35 am »
Posh like Bangladesh and the West Indies?

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: November 15, 2017, 09:52:12 am »
Bugger, was looking forward to a Sunday morning bacon butty and a brew around 8am watching the England v PNG game live

Sure our game kicks off at 5:30am UK time :(

Thank the lord for Bedroom TV's

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2017, 11:05:14 pm »
Went to Australia v Samoa 46-0 last night

Was a mismatch & credit to Samoa they kept going.

A good night out & nearly 13,500 there which is great for Darwin
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2017, 08:21:11 am »
Fiji have 3 mins to hold on.

NZ coach will have to resign.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:32:55 am by puroresu_kid »