Author Topic: The Ashes: England in Australia 2017-18  (Read 104013 times)

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Ashes: England in Australia 2017-18
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 09:12:18 am »
I got the impression Stokes was trying to defend initially as well but rage seems to take over and the last punch, where he knocks the guy flat out, is the one that may do for Stokes as the guy seemed to have given up at that point.

That's pretty much my view on it too. Doesn't make pretty viewing. Especially as it looks like the guy he knocks out at the end smacks his head against the floor after he falls back. Stopping someone who is swinging a bottle around is one thing. Punching and kicking him whilst on the floor and following them to further engage is another.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2017, 11:18:07 am »
They shouldn't even have been out at that time in the middle of a series.
The video footage doesn't look good.

As for the Ashes squad I don't quite get the fascination with Jake Ball, would much rather have seen Plunkett in his place.
Crane is a bit odd too as he hasn't played a lot of red ball cricket recently, and the continued absence of Rashid is puzzling.
Ballance has had so many chances I am surprised they have gone with him, despite his good record for Yorkshire this season, would have preferred them to have gone with someone like Joe Denly at Kent.

I suppose some of the one's that missed our will be on the Lion's tour anyway so can be called upon if needed.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 01:33:11 pm »
Various stories about this doing the rounds, but it's interesting that the videos originally released and reported show a guy with a bottle and it's feasible that Stokes was acting in defence. The recent edits of the video just show Stokes and Hales in a bad light.

You'd have thought the UK press would want to give the benefit of doubt to our best player(s), but it's just more important for them to sensationalise news or lie (not in this case) to sell more papers.

Silly for Stokes to lose his cool though regardless of the situation.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 03:11:33 pm »
I don't see how the ECB can pick him. They sent players home for less.

Dan Roan has tweeted it could get worse for English cricket tonight

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 03:34:07 pm »
I don't see how the ECB can pick him. They sent players home for less.

Dan Roan has tweeted it could get worse for English cricket tonight

They can only pick him I guess if he gets cleared of any charges, but given the video footage it's hard to see him not getting punished for it.

If we went to Australia with it still ongoing the press would be all over it constantly and it would have to have a big impact on the team.
Thing is he is such an important player it's hard to see us winning without him.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2017, 03:37:00 pm »
The media love a scandal, unsurprised to see that ridiculous non story on the rag today as they take for any scrap of dirt they can find on Stokes and stoke up (ha) people to feel all outraged.

The outcome of the arrest will play out in due course but the rest of the circus is typically nauseating.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2017, 03:43:37 pm »
The media love a scandal, unsurprised to see that ridiculous non story on the rag today as they take for any scrap of dirt they can find on Stokes and stoke up (ha) people to feel all outraged.

The outcome of the arrest will play out in due course but the rest of the circus is typically nauseating.

Right on all fronts.

But I can't see a way that Stokes escapes punishment for what remains a nasty attack - if that video evidence is accurate.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2017, 04:31:55 pm »
Leach gets 9-111 this week for Somerset.

He must be gutted he's not in this squad.

Not sure what more he could have done.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2017, 04:47:56 pm »
Leach gets 9-111 this week for Somerset.

He must be gutted he's not in this squad.

Not sure what more he could have done.

Agreed seems a bit odd.
I know also I keep going on about Ball but once again he has just gone for a lot of runs albeit in a one day game, 1 for 94.
I just don't see how he gets in the squad ahead of Plunkett, and others.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2017, 04:50:56 pm »
Agreed seems a bit odd.
I know also I keep going on about Ball but once again he has just gone for a lot of runs albeit in a one day game, 1 for 94.
I just don't see how he gets in the squad ahead of Plunkett, and others.

Plunkett's quicker, more miserly, and can score a few runs too. He's not perfect by any means, but in a superior class to Ball.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2017, 04:54:39 pm »
Yes the Ball selection is very - meh!

He could get smashed if he plays vs Australia.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2017, 05:15:53 pm »
Plunkett's quicker, more miserly, and can score a few runs too. He's not perfect by any means, but in a superior class to Ball.

Yes the Ball selection is very - meh!

He could get smashed if he plays vs Australia.

Agreed, plus with no Wood we have nobody in the 90 mph bracket, which Plunkett would bring.

I genuinely don't see what the selectors see in Ball.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2017, 05:57:00 pm »
Stokes is a idiot.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2017, 08:21:12 pm »
Could only really have been worse for England if Root was involved instead of Hales, what disastrous timing. Hope it gets settled quickly but this is looking very worrying.

Anyway, I don't personally feel like we're heading for another whitewash but its certainly going to be an uphill struggle. Both teams have similar strengths and weaknesses, potent bowling attacks but an over-reliance on too few batsman. Their attack is nowhere near as hostile as it was in 13-14 but its still pretty fierce. If fit and firing Starc and Cummins are obviously sharp but I rate Hazlewood quite highly. Anyone remember Stuart Clark from the 2006-07 series? Reminds me of him, not express pace but good line and length. Was the leading wicket taker in that series too. Most of the other guys seem to be players we've seen in previous ashes series that have drifted in and out of the team, guys like Khawaja, Wade and Maxwell.

As for us, Joe Root never seems to not score runs anymore but so much will depend on Cook. His average against Australia is 39 (career 46) but that's boosted by the 127 he averaged in 2010-11 when Hilfenhaus and Beer were chucking pies and Mitchell Johnson was bowling left, right and shite. Needs a good series especially if we're going to be a senior batsman short in Stokes. Really hope Bairstow comes good this winter though, he's got a good technique and a shift up the order I think will be good for him. Give him some responsibility with the bat and I doubt he'll let you down, same goes for Moeen, they've got the ability to bat higher up the order than they are now.

With the bowling attack Broad with most likely be more useful than Jimmy. He was one of the few to come out of the last tour with any credit. If Stokes doesn't play really opens up a can of worms about the balance of the team. Do you bring in another batsman or bowler? Not sure what Overton brings in that Plunkett doesn't.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2017, 09:00:30 am »
What did they say the odds are on us losing 5-0?

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 4, 2017, 09:44:25 am »
What did they say the odds are on us losing 5-0?

10/1 best price now. Was 16/1 last week.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: October 4, 2017, 09:44:53 am »
James Pattinson: Australia fast bowler ruled out of Ashes with back injury

Pattinson was left out of the tour to Bangladesh in September with a lower-back stress fracture, which he suffered as a teenager.

The 27-year-old, who has 70 wickets from 17 Tests, took 32 wickets in five Championship matches for Nottinghamshire last summer.

He will take an indefinite break from bowling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41495505

---

Pat Cummins is presently the only member of the aforementioned quartet to be fully fit, and is currently resting after the ODI series in India. Mitchell Starc is due to return from a foot injury for New South Wales in their next domestic limited-overs fixture, while Josh Hazlewood is in the latter stages of recovery from a side strain. Nathan Coulter-Nile, who bowled impressively in India, is now expected to be a part of Australia's Ashes squad in Pattinson's stead.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20910486/stricken-james-pattinson-ashes-contention
« Last Edit: October 4, 2017, 09:47:16 am by CheshireDave »

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #57 on: October 5, 2017, 09:22:16 am »
Not sure Cummins will last a full series with his record. So there's likely to be, er, cummins and goins...Both sides look to be pretty ordinary which will make for some low quality but entertaining cricket.

Re Stokes, Ian Botham captained a touring side in between being charged for assault and facing trial in 1981. He got off and then slayed the Aussies single handedly, It's an omen. Stokes should go unless he's been found guilty and banged up.
Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 6, 2017, 01:05:33 pm »
Finn added to Ashes Squad.

Stokes & Hales have had contracts renewed.

As things stand Stokes won't be going to Australia for The Ashes.

Formal written warnings & fines for Bairstow, Ball & Plunkett.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #59 on: October 6, 2017, 04:10:36 pm »
So what’s the circumstances for Stokes going then? Found innocent?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #60 on: October 6, 2017, 04:17:10 pm »
So what’s the circumstances for Stokes going then? Found innocent?

Presumably if no charges are brought. If it went to any kind of trial I assume they'd struggle to have it before the tour started?

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: October 6, 2017, 05:16:32 pm »
Finn's a lucky fellow.

So are Australia.

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2017, 02:29:51 am »
Everyone get onto "The Grade Cricketer" if you haven't already.

Check out his (theirs) Twitter and Facebook - absolute gold.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2017, 09:49:00 am »

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2017, 10:00:34 am »
I see Stokes has had to apologise to Katie Price now as well after sponsor New Balance dropped him also.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2017, 11:20:21 am »
I see Stokes has had to apologise to Katie Price now as well after sponsor New Balance dropped him also.

No surprise. Can't imagine it is good for their rep to have someone who mocks disabled people on their books.

Any news in terms of the criminal charges for the punch up?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2017, 12:10:03 pm »
That fucking apology :lmao

Fucking hell lad, we've all been there with our mates when we've taken the piss out of someone we probably shouldn't have done. 'When I was taking the piss out of Michael Jacksons voice, it was because of the struggle he went through every day and the massive amount of respect I had for him as an artist'.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2017, 12:43:54 pm »
Cummins threatens England with bouncers - surely he should just concentrate on playing the series, given his injury record?
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2017, 12:58:02 pm »
That fucking apology :lmao

Fucking hell lad, we've all been there with our mates when we've taken the piss out of someone we probably shouldn't have done. 'When I was taking the piss out of Michael Jacksons voice, it was because of the struggle he went through every day and the massive amount of respect I had for him as an artist'.

Probably should have just said nothing and ignored Jordan banging on about it. Someone was obviously muck raking after his arrest. Frankly, as poor taste as it may be if that's the worst they could find about him then fair play. Would have been forgotten about soon enough had he said nothing.

No news on if/when any charges will be brought and timings around that?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2017, 12:59:14 pm »
No surprise. Can't imagine it is good for their rep to have someone who mocks disabled people on their books.

There goes Glenn Hoddle's hopes of a lucrative new sportswear deal.

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2017, 02:44:38 pm »
Any news in terms of the criminal charges for the punch up?

This has just come out:

England cricketer Ben Stokes will give a full explanation when the time is right after his arrest, says his agent.

The all-rounder, 26, was arrested on 26 September on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm following an incident near a Bristol nightclub.

"Ben will make public his full explanation and evidence when the time is right," said Neil Fairbrother.

"On legal advice, that is not possible whilst the investigation continues and no charges have been brought forward."

Former Lancashire and England batsman Fairbrother said Stokes does not wish to prejudice the legal process.

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2017, 12:58:18 pm »
It might be the wrong thread for this (couldn't find a general cricket thread)...

Thoughts? I'm a traditionalist so would prefer 5 day tests to remain.

ICC approves Test world championship and trial of four-day matches
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/13/icc-test-world-championship-four-day-trial

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2017, 01:02:40 pm »
It might be the wrong thread for this (couldn't find a general cricket thread)...

Thoughts? I'm a traditionalist so would prefer 5 day tests to remain.

ICC approves Test world championship and trial of four-day matches
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/oct/13/icc-test-world-championship-four-day-trial

Would be a shame to miss out on the slow burning classics that go deep into a fifth day. Not sure how ifthen that still happens but feels like you get a few more now than we did a few years ago.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2017, 12:13:17 am »
I don't really get the point of 4 day Tests.

What's the reason for that change?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2017, 12:55:04 am »
I don't really get the point of 4 day Tests.

What's the reason for that change?

The lack of a fifth day too frequently. They would rather sell tickets to 4 days of a test match, and in the majority of cases have 4 days play.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2017, 09:15:23 am »
I wouldn’t mind it so much as an option if we moved to 115 over days or similar

Get the same amount of cricket in but over four days - perhaps keep day five as weather insurance

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2017, 09:40:54 am »
I think it's a dumb idea. It's fine saying play more overs in the 4 days but over rates are so shite these days so it seems that you'd have to play until about 10pm.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2017, 09:59:29 am »
I think it's a dumb idea. It's fine saying play more overs in the 4 days but over rates are so shite these days so it seems that you'd have to play until about 10pm.

Or clamp down on overrates! Or start at 10am rather than 11am or combination of both to get it sorted

I’m not fully behind it and I love test cricket but I’m open to trialling changes

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2017, 10:02:33 am »
I just can't see what it's supposed to achieve.

most tests don't go to the 5th day anyway.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2017, 10:29:53 am »
I just can't see what it's supposed to achieve.

most tests don't go to the 5th day anyway.

Means they can squeeze itineraries further if they're scheduled to last a day less. They won't have any contingency for a fifth day if there is a washout.