Author Topic: Need help. Dell Venue 8 Pro and connecting to pc..  (Read 957 times)

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Need help. Dell Venue 8 Pro and connecting to pc..
« on: September 17, 2017, 10:02:38 am »
Rite, long story short.

Our oldest daughter is autistic and has Down Syndrome - and as such, have trouble communicating.

However, not long ago, at school, she received a Dell Venue 8 Pro with Tobii Communicator installed. This is a text-to-speech program, (and a darned good one, I must say), where you add images and text so she can construct sentences from that. So, as she grows and gets, for example, new interests, hobbies, maybe someone in the family got a baby - so we need to add the picture and name of the baby, and so forth, there is a somewhat constant need to add new images, with corresponding text.

Now, to do this at the moment, and this is how the ladies at school told us, you have can transfer via USB and have to use a tiny 'pen' to press buttons and the like. My point is, it's a darn hassle and not at all an efficient to keep it up to date.

So here's me reaching out, anyone know any way I can connect the Venue 8 to my computer, access Tobii (the program) and then edit?

I get that the Venue is kind of a pc on its own - and it's not just to plug its micro-usb to my usb... but surely, there's got to be a way?

Any and all help appreciated.

@Yvanicuzz

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Need help. Dell Venue 8 Pro and connecting to pc..
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 07:40:43 am »
You should be able to use RDP, I can't see any reason why not.

You'll need to enable it on the Windows 8 tablet first, instructions on this page - https://www.groovypost.com/howto/windows-8-turn-on-remote-desktop/

Once that's on, providing both devices are on the same network you should be able to access remotely.

Give me a shout if you want me to go into more detail with instructions

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 03:51:36 pm »
Similar is Splashtop its a great free app that mirrors screens, works well going from Windows to Windows or Android to Windows (eg, I control my PC streaming media, from the laptop)

It's my go to, you don't need to pay if you're on the same network..

https://www.splashtop.com/personal

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 08:41:33 pm »
Cheers lads, thanks for the input. Will give it a go and report back!

Thanks again.
@Yvanicuzz