Author Topic: Africa Cup of Nations: CAF moves tournament to June, July. 24 team expansion.  (Read 3960 times)

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
The Africa Cup of Nations could be moved to June or July as part of changes being discussed by the continent's ruling body.

The Nations Cup's timing in January and February has long angered clubs in Europe, where many Africans play.

The biennial finals could also be increased from 16 teams to 24.

"That is the first thing to talk about - we can't get away from it," said Confederation of African Football (Caf) president Ahmad Ahmad.

"We have already had a lot of suggestions," he added in his opening address at a two-day symposium on the continental game's future in Morocco.

An unprecedented number of players turned down call-ups for this year's tournament in Gabon to stay with their clubs.

This included seven Cameroonians who refused to turn out for the team that eventually won the title.

Every two years, a club-versus-country row breaks out as European clubs complain about losing players during a crucial stage of the season to the Nations Cup.

Compounding the clubs' concerns is the fact that their players often come back fatigued from Africa's flagship sporting event.

For this year's tournament, 12 English Premier League clubs were impacted as more than 20 players left their teams mid-season.

Leicester, Stoke City and Sunderland were the worst affected as they lost three players apiece for a competition which ran from 14 January to 5 February.

Under previous president Issa Hayatou, Caf argued that the weather in many parts of Africa meant the tournament had to be staged at the start of the year.

Hayatou consistently rejected suggestions of a move to June, saying the weather then was too hot in northern Africa, too wet in the west and centre and too cold in the south.

Many believed his view was as much about climatic conditions as not bowing to pressure from Europe because African national teams and clubs play regularly during June without adverse effects.

A move to a tournament in June and July is also set to be discussed in the Moroccan capital Rabat - as is the less likely possibility of staging the final every four, rather than two, years.

Ahmad also wants to review rules on hosting the finals, which are proving increasingly prohibitive and reducing the number of potential candidates.

He has already suggested that co-hosting would allow Caf to consider proposals to increase the number of teams at the finals to 24.

Africa's leading club competitions - the Caf Champions League and the Confederation Cup - will also be scrutinised.

There is the potential for a radical date change for the competitions, which traditionally run from early in the calendar year through to the respective finals in November.

"Africa has its particularities, like the great distances our clubs have to travel," added Ahmad, who goes by only one name.

"Clubs having to travel via Europe to play games is folly. We need solutions."

Ahmad promised a blanket review of the African game when he successfully stood for the Caf presidency in March.

"Never before has something like this been organised in Africa," he told the assembled 200 delegates prior to the start of a series of workshops.

"We are here for a historic chapter and to effect great changes. These are decisions that will determine the future of our game.

"My ambition is to effect profound transformation of Caf and I'm personally determined to see it through with all the members," Ahmad said in his opening address.

In addition to the FA presidents, secretary generals and coaches of each African nation, a host of former stars have also been invited to give their views - as per Ahmad's election manifesto.

The invited include Jay-Jay Okocha of Nigeria, Cameroonians Samuel Eto'o, Geremi and Joseph-Antoine Bell, Hossam Hassan of Egypt, Rabah Madjer of Algeria and Morocco's Badou Zaki.

Leading national coaches, DR Congo's Florent Ibenge, Herve Renard of Morocco and African veteran Claude LeRoy, the Frenchman who currently leads Togo, have also been asked.

"I feel this could be a crucial day for African football," said Fifa president Gianni Infantino, who is also in attendance.

"All the stakeholders interested in this beautiful game have to work to develop African football and bring it to where it belongs, at the top of world football."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40645125
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:40:31 pm by Y2J »
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Africa Cup of Nations: Caf considers June or July move
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 03:36:06 pm »
While they're at it maybe they could stop running it every two years.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 04:06:54 pm »
yes please
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 04:10:22 pm »
About time.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 04:36:51 pm »
And remove on of RAWKs favourite things to moan about? Not a chance.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 05:16:55 pm »

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:28:23 pm »
Who would this affect most? Which team has the most African first team players?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:29:50 pm »
Keep it in January but make it every four years instead of it being a bi-annual event.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 07:40:08 pm »
The price of Keïta just got 50 mil higher  :wave

No but seriously. It completely makes sense. If looking at the climate of Africa only in Mali and Sudan along with other deep Saharan nations would it be impossible to hold the tournament that time of the year. Apart from that in the tropics it's the same temps all year and in the south it's cooler in summer. All Mediterranean nations in North Africa have plenty of coastal cities where temps are still comfy during late summer evenings.
Linudden.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 08:49:31 pm »
Who would this affect most? Which team has the most African first team players?

Abuja FC I think

Offline NealFrom25Yards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 08:53:39 pm »
Glad Keita won't be leaving us in the lurch every couple of years.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 09:10:34 pm »
Will be good news for us! I don't want African football to suffer because of this move, though, but I don't think it will.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 09:37:37 pm »
When do they hold the other 11 annual AFCONs then?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 09:43:59 pm »
When do they hold the other 11 annual AFCONs then?

Every other weekend.

I just don't understand why they play this every 2 years. I like the fact Africa does things differently, but I think they'd get a far better global audience if they make it a little more special. Every 4 years in January, I reckon we'd (all football fans) wave African players off with some best wishes etc... we'd probably tune in more, because it should be a glorious thing, but every 2 years is frankly, a bit of a pain in the arse, what with the World Cup and everything yeah?

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 09:49:12 pm »
Every other weekend.

I just don't understand why they play this every 2 years. I like the fact Africa does things differently, but I think they'd get a far better global audience if they make it a little more special. Every 4 years in January, I reckon we'd (all football fans) wave African players off with some best wishes etc... we'd probably tune in more, because it should be a glorious thing, but every 2 years is frankly, a bit of a pain in the arse, what with the World Cup and everything yeah?
Yeah. There's enough football as it is and stuff like this just goes under the radar. I love football but we are overwhelmed with the club game for the majority of the year as well as international qualifiers for Euros and the World Cup which happen every couple of years. I'd give the AFCON more of a chance if it was actually a unique rare occurrence but it's usually not far over the horizon.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 10:01:13 pm »
It could be a great tournament every 4 years. If Africa could somehow pool resources together - help eachother out a bit for a common good, improve the stadiums, spread the costs out, market it properly and all that crap, the AFCON would be a cracker. January might even become a favourite month. Free-to-air.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 10:08:44 pm »
It could be a great tournament every 4 years. If Africa could somehow pool resources together - help eachother out a bit for a common good, improve the stadiums, spread the costs out, market it properly and all that crap, the AFCON would be a cracker. January might even become a favourite month. Free-to-air.

Why not every 4 years in the summer , simple ?

If there income going to triple why not

http://mobi.supersport.com/football/africa-cup-of-nations/news/170719/Afcon_expanded_timing_changed
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:17:58 pm by rocco »

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 10:10:01 pm »

Not to mention make a deal with the major leagues of Europe only to play cup football when the AFCON is on. It could be back to back FA Cup loggerheads all the way to the last 16 those three weeks.
Linudden.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2017, 10:14:34 pm »
Why not every 4 years in the summer , simple ?

Well, of course, that would be better... and Linudden surprised me about the temperature ranges at that time of year - it's got to be played at a suitable time of year - but as a case for AFCON as it is... four years better, two years bad.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 10:23:29 pm »
Not to mention make a deal with the major leagues of Europe only to play cup football when the AFCON is on. It could be back to back FA Cup loggerheads all the way to the last 16 those three weeks.

That's an insane idea. Have you been smoking my weed? That will never happen ;D Am quite sure the footballing world could allow their African contingent leave of absence for a month every four years if January is the best month to do it is all I'm saying.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 10:39:24 pm »
Well, of course, that would be better... and Linudden surprised me about the temperature ranges at that time of year - it's got to be played at a suitable time of year - but as a case for AFCON as it is... four years better, two years bad.

June avg temps for various African capitals and major cities:

North Africa:
Rabat (Morocco) 24/15 (Jan 17/8)
Casablanca (Morocco) 24/17 (Jan 17/9)
Algiers (Algeria) 28/16 (Jan 16/5)
Tunis (Tunisia) 31/19 (Jan 16/8)
Alexandria (Egypt) 28/20 (Jan 18/9)
Cairo (Egypt) 34/21 (Jan 19/9)
Khartoum (Sudan) 41/20 (Jan 31/8)

Western Africa:
Bamako (Mali) 35/20 (Jan 33/8)
Dakar (Senegal) 28/17 (Jan 25/11)
Conakry (Guinea) 31/20 (Jan 32/19);
Spoiler
very wet in June though... July is a deluge. More rainfall in one month than in a Glasgow year.
[close]
Accra (Ghana) 29/23 (Jan 32/23);
Spoiler
June is very wet. Would probably be hosted in July (28/22)
[close]
Abidjan (Ivory Coast) 28/23 (Jan 30/25)
Spoiler
July is much drier, probably played then (27/23)
[close]
Lagos (Nigeria) 29/22 (Jan 32/22)
Yaoundé (Cameroon) 27/20 (Jan 29/19)

Central Africa:
Nairobi (Kenya) 22/10 (Jan 25/10)
Kinshasa (DR Congo) 28/19 (Jan 30/21)
Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) 29/14 (Jan 31/18)
Libreville (Gabon) 27/23 (Jan 29/24)

Southern Africa:
Luanda (Angola) 25/20 (Jan 29/24)
Antananarivo (Madagascar) 21/11 (Jan 26/17)
Maputo (Mozambique) 24/14 (Jan 30/23)
Cape Town (South Africa) 18/7 (Jan 26/15)
Johannesburg (South Africa) 16/4 (Jan 25/14)
Pretoria (South Africa) 19/4 (Jan 28/17)

Do-able in the vast majority of places in June and even so this year it was held in Gabon during its wet season  :wave

Linudden.

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 05:04:59 pm »
Official: The 2019 edition will take place in the summer and have 24 teams.

Online TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 05:11:23 pm »
Official: The 2019 edition will take place in the summer and have 24 teams.

Great stuff, let's hope it stays that way in the future as well so we don't lose Mane/Salah/whichever one of our players Cameroon fancy calling up for a month every two years.

Edit: BBC saying the decision hasn't been made yet?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40670308
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 08:24:13 pm »
Great stuff, let's hope it stays that way in the future as well so we don't lose Mane/Salah/whichever one of our players Cameroon fancy calling up for a month every two years.

It is on the CAF's website

http://www.cafonline.com/fr-FR/NewsCenter/News/NewsDetails?id=Kt57TnHMLW5JtCh92m5clw%3d%3d

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 08:33:23 pm »
But what will people moan about in January?!?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 08:53:20 pm »

It's official.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 08:53:53 pm »
Have you seen the fuckin weather in January....
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 09:26:36 pm »
Hope it's true
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 09:42:49 pm »
It is..

Thank fuck. We don't have to worry now about Salah and Mane

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 09:46:35 pm »
Thank fuck. We don't have to worry now about Salah and Mane

Would be funny if Senegal and Egypt failed to qualify for the next one! ;D

(I'm aware that the two are amongst the best in Africa and usually do qualify).

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
Great news. Makes Salah and Mane even bigger bargains.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2017, 10:24:01 pm »

No transfers?

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2017, 10:39:58 pm »
Would be funny if Senegal and Egypt failed to qualify for the next one! ;D

(I'm aware that the two are amongst the best in Africa and usually do qualify).

I'm all for it,If that means that they won't miss pre-season  ;D

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Excellent news
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
Committee 4: Youth football

"The committee also resolved to strengthen medical checks in determining the eligibility of players."

Something tells me trouble/suddenly worse results are about to erupt for Nigeria's U20 teams...  ;D

That aside, it's great news the move has been confirmed, especially given an expanded tournament and January would've been a disaster! I think had they done that many European clubs would've drawn a line in the sand and refused to let players go to the pre-tournament camps, suing the CAF for compensation and all that. Finally some sense in the African federation and I'll applaud them for that!

Does this spell the end for the Confederations Cup by the way? I think with an Afcon colliding with Confed it kind of becomes redundant. Personally I'd like the Confed concept to be transformed into the Olympics to create a shorter tournament but with the best players from the continental champions and the world champions to fight for a proper Olympic gold medal  :wave
Linudden.

Offline RJ320

• Kopite
  • 17-01-42
Good news but hope it doesn't affect the health of the players playing in temperatures above 30. Went to Cairo in May and it was absolutely boiling, god knows how the locals cope with that humidity.

• Legacy Fan
Good news but hope it doesn't affect the health of the players playing in temperatures above 30. Went to Cairo in May and it was absolutely boiling, god knows how the locals cope with that humidity.
Humidity in Cairo?

Alexandria is humid, Cairo is mostly dry heat and playing at night is fine.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
The European clubs will likely the time change, although players performing in increased temperatures could be an issue. Also, this tournament needs to shift to a four year model like every other major one.