Author Topic: The shadow of conflict that hangs over the Nicosia derby  (Read 903 times)

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The shadow of conflict that hangs over the Nicosia derby
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:18:55 pm »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:20:50 pm by blurred »

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
Re: The shadow of conflict that hangs over the Nicosia derby
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:56:22 pm »
An interesting longread from the Blizzard on the Apoel v Omonia rivalry.

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/hangover-war

Backing Blurred on this one, both articles on Cyprus football in issue 8 of the Blizzard are informative and well-written, compliments which apply to much of that magazine's writing in general...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:21:39 pm »
Much ado about nothing.
They're passionate about their clubs, clubs that are historically intertwined with politics as per the norm, and both clubs are historically the biggest in Cyprus.

Not sure what the point was about the article, felt more like a lazy summary of the history of Cyprus with thick brush strokes on the invasion of Cyprus.

"Cyprus is currently a member of the EU, which doesn't recognise the occupied north or, by extension, its football league."
"The Turkish military invaded, it claimed, to protect both the constitutional rights of the country and the safety of the minority Turkish Cypriots.
"

When you read the above quotes, one might forget that it's not "Turkish side of Cyprus" and "Greek side of Cyprus".
It's actually Cyprus and "occupied" Cyprus. The north part of Cyprus isn't just not recognised by Cyprus, it's also not recognised by the wider community. The north is still considered as illegally occupied by Turkey and is only recognised by Turkey. There is no dispute between either sets of fans on that issue.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Online monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:00:33 pm »
An interesting longread from the Blizzard on the Apoel v Omonia rivalry.

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/article/hangover-war

Am I doing something wrong or can subscribers not download the current edition anymore mate?
+6 ticket exchange