Author Topic: Mayweather - McGregor  (Read 156576 times)

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
Re: Mayweather - McGregor
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2017, 04:12:14 pm »
Does this even count towards Mayweathers 49-0? Is it not an exhibition match?

Yeah, Conor got his professional licence from the Nevada commission

Not bad for his first professional fight like...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 05:16:42 pm by 7777 »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2017, 04:23:21 pm »
What I hear people saying is exactly the the same! He's defied the experts many times before and other people's opinions are all I have because as I said I know very little about both sports

Presumably when he defied the experts before, that was still in the sport that he has some experience in competing as a professional?

It's like saying no one thought Liverpool could come from behind in Istanbul so now I think they could beat the All Blacks at rugby.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2017, 04:23:55 pm »
What I hear people saying is exactly the the same! He's defied the experts many times before and other people's opinions are all I have because as I said I know very little about both sports

Look at the video of him sparring on the 1st page. It's amateur level. He's going up against the elite boxer in the world, McGregors footwork is terrible. That's why he has no chance.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:27:12 pm by CrasherKid79 »

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2017, 04:29:35 pm »
Presumably when he defied the experts before, that was still in the sport that he has some experience in competing as a professional?

It's like saying no one thought Liverpool could come from behind in Istanbul so now I think they could beat the All Blacks at rugby.
Its not quite the same. Its more like thinking the All Blacks could beat the Australian Rugby league team at rugby league.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2017, 04:37:57 pm »
Very excited for this.

I know next to nothing about boxing or MMA. I assume know nothings like me are the target audience right?

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2017, 04:45:42 pm »
Very excited for this.

I know next to nothing about boxing or MMA. I assume know nothings like me are the target audience right?
everyone is the target audience.

boxing fans, MMA fans, fairweather fans, etc.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2017, 05:18:02 pm »
Its not quite the same. Its more like thinking the All Blacks could beat the Australian Rugby league team at rugby league.

Except there's a history of rugby players switching codes at least. MMA/boxing not so much, aside from that James Toney farce a while back.

It's not far off that Freddie Flintoff nonsense, except instead of shipping over some homeless guy he's fighting the best fighter of his generation.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2017, 05:25:51 pm »

Its not really, its more like saying Earl Strickland would give Ronnie O'Sullivan a good game of snooker. Which would be equally ridiculous.

Its a farce anyway, will probably stream it out of pure morbid curiosity. Anyone who actually pays money for it is a mug.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2017, 05:25:54 pm »
Except there's a history of rugby players switching codes at least. MMA/boxing not so much, aside from that James Toney farce a while back.

It's not far off that Freddie Flintoff nonsense, except instead of shipping over some homeless guy he's fighting the best fighter of his generation.

And getting PAID an astronomical fee for his troubles!

The interesting dynamic will be over the next couple of months watching Conor and his charm turn some of the doubters into believing he has a chance!

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2017, 05:30:27 pm »
And getting PAID an astronomical fee for his troubles!

The interesting dynamic will be over the next couple of months watching Conor and his charm turn some of the doubters into believing he has a chance!

I'm just thankful Mayweather isn't a renowned heavy hitter else I would genuinely fear for McGregors safety.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2017, 05:42:14 pm »
I'm just thankful Mayweather isn't a renowned heavy hitter else I would genuinely fear for McGregors safety.

Yeah but the accumalation could be enough once McGregor unfolds a la Hatton. Oddly, as it's at 154, that's even another advantage I'd give McGregor as he won't have had to boil down whereas Floyds frame looks like he could make 147 easier.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2017, 05:43:35 pm »
Don't really like either as a person, would happily see mcgregor get battered though. Grade A c*nt

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2017, 05:44:36 pm »
Fools Mayweather DOES have power especially as he was coming up through the weights. he just found a style which never required him to go "all out" so to speak.  Like 7's said this could easily be a Hatton/MAyweather fight.

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2017, 05:50:30 pm »
Fools Mayweather DOES have power especially as he was coming up through the weights. he just found a style which never required him to go "all out" so to speak.  Like 7's said this could easily be a Hatton/MAyweather fight.

Underrated power, and he's not been knocked down in how long? And that wasn't even a full on knockdown, his glove touched the floor. Who was that against now, Zab, Castillo? He took a flush straight right down the pipe from Mosley and was rocked for a second but recovered very quickly.

Underrated power, underrated chin, elusive, incredible boxing IQ, fit as a flea, fast, crafty. I don't see how McGregor even makes it competitive.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2017, 05:56:35 pm »
Oscar De La Hoya troubled him briefly but that was a shot and old Goldenboyman.  Yep you might have to go back to Mosely and Castillo I for the last time he was truly troubled.  So 2002 was the last time anyone came even close to upsetting him.  And I maintain Castillo did beat him.  :D

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2017, 05:59:29 pm »
Underrated power, and he's not been knocked down in how long? And that wasn't even a full on knockdown, his glove touched the floor. Who was that against now, Zab, Castillo? He took a flush straight right down the pipe from Mosley and was rocked for a second but recovered very quickly.

Underrated power, underrated chin, elusive, incredible boxing IQ, fit as a flea, fast, crafty. I don't see how McGregor even makes it competitive.

He doesn't. I think he gets completly rinsed but size, reach, southpaw, speed and power present 'challenges' or at the very least 'considerations' that Floyd will be working on in camp.

He may not face any of them on the night itself but he will be preparing for every aspect as he is the ultimate pro despite how he will be posting pictures of himself during camp in his new lappy bar  ;D

Offline ohweloveyerbaldyhead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2017, 06:11:20 pm »
To be fair he could be in the lappys every night on the ale and still wipe the floor with McGregor  ;D
Twitter: @loveyerbaldyhead

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2017, 06:13:55 pm »
He doesn't. I think he gets completly rinsed but size, reach, southpaw, speed and power present 'challenges' or at the very least 'considerations' that Floyd will be working on in camp.

He may not face any of them on the night itself but he will be preparing for every aspect as he is the ultimate pro despite how he will be posting pictures of himself during camp in his new lappy bar  ;D

Haha, yeah he's as professional as they come. I think it was during camp for the Canelo fight he was posting pictures of him drinking full fat soda in between sparring and eating burgers. All for show of course, but he's a fucker so what do you expect.

He wont underestimate him as you say. If he had let himself go a little bit and wasn't so driven by his ego and his 0 then it would be closer but it's nothing more than a glorified sparing session.

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2017, 06:56:14 pm »
Why on earth anyone would want woman beating Mayweather to win is beyond me.

He's going to like but I'll be hoping for the upset, no matter how unlikely.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2017, 07:22:09 pm »
Currently on the bus with two irish guys behind me talking about the fight.

'McGregor is gonna smash him'. 'McGregor has a longer reach and will outjab Mayweather'.

I hope this isn't a common theme. 

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2017, 07:24:45 pm »
3 possible outcomes for me: Mayweather points 97%(11/8), mayweather by DQ 2.99%(10/1), mcgregor by KO 0.01%(7/1)

All the whinging saying its bad for boxing need to realise its mayweather who ruined boxing. The same way I hate mourinho's effective defensive winning style in football I hate mayweathers effective defensive winning style. Its superfights like de la hoya in 07 and pacquiao in 15 that turned people like me away who had boxing as one of their secondary sports to a proper combat sport like ufc. Even the way its at 154 with the 10oz gloves. Any boxing fan should want mcgregor to win to put an end to mayweathers "legacy".
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2017, 07:32:40 pm »
The art of boxing is to hit and not get hit.  Not make it a slugfest ala Rocky Balboa. I mean the prototype to Mayweather was Pernel Whittaker.  And ain't no body ever disrespected him.  It's all the talk get's Floyd hate but he can back it up at the end of the day.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2017, 07:33:34 pm »
I hope they both lose.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2017, 07:44:03 pm »
3 possible outcomes for me: Mayweather points 97%(11/8), mayweather by DQ 2.99%(10/1), mcgregor by KO 0.01%(7/1)

All the whinging saying its bad for boxing need to realise its mayweather who ruined boxing. The same way I hate mourinho's effective defensive winning style in football I hate mayweathers effective defensive winning style. Its superfights like de la hoya in 07 and pacquiao in 15 that turned people like me away who had boxing as one of their secondary sports to a proper combat sport like ufc. Even the way its at 154 with the 10oz gloves. Any boxing fan should want mcgregor to win to put an end to mayweathers "legacy".

'Proper combat sport'. Please.

I respect MMA but it's no more of a combat sport than boxing.

Mayweather didn't ruin boxing. The revenue he generated says he was nothing but great for the sport.

Don't blame Floyd for DLH and Pacman not being able to trouble him. Styles make fights and it wasn't up to Floyd to do his best to make them effective.

Online Fiasco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2017, 07:45:56 pm »
A small part of me wants McGregor to win simply for the fact that he came to Liverpool for the Grand National and ended up on a 4 day bender. He was in a house party in Huyton until like 6 one morning :D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2017, 07:48:38 pm »

Can't see how Mayweather ruined boxing, it's better than ever.

And comparing him to Mourinho is nonsense, his style is not everyone's cup of tea but I could watch him all day.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2017, 07:49:29 pm »
Don't really like either as a person, would happily see mcgregor get battered though. Grade A c*nt
Well one's a woman beater the other has a bit of a mouth

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2017, 07:54:15 pm »
A pointless fight really because Mayweather will obviously win. McGregor has no shot. And I am a McGregor fan and dislike Floyd.

Conor is a good boxer by UFC standard, but UFC standard boxing is miles away from actual boxing. I think Conor is going to be stunned by the hand speed of Floyd. To be honest if Conor was to box a run of the mill pro boxer he'd still get absolutely clowned. So what bloody chance does he have against one of the best of all time? Zero.

All those years Conor has spent spreading his time learning different martial arts, Floyd has spent that time completely focused on one discipline. In fact it isn't even that, it is all that time and then a bloody decade on top of that. It's absolutely insane that anyone thinks Conor has a shot. The betting odds are ridiculous to be honest. Floyd should be 1/100.

What is going to be interesting is Conor's reaction after he realises the gulf between them. And it will happen very quickly. Floyd will start clowning him after 1 or 2 rounds. Dropping his hands and letting Conor throw punches before just moving out the way and countering. Say what you want about Conor, but he is an elite fighter. In his career in MMA he has never came up against anyone who could clown him. He does that to others, nobody does that to him. So it will be very interesting to see how an elite fighter like him deals with getting embarrassed round in round out. He'll quickly realise that he can't win, probably after the first or second round and that will seriously hurt his pride because for an elite fighter to get the piss taken out of them in a fight - regardless of the discipline - will be hard to swallow, regardless of what he is getting paid for it, especially as he is the type of guy who is genuinely so delusional about how good he is that he will actually think he can win this fight.

The other thing that I really want to know is what Conor will be getting paid for this. I keep seeing people say $100m+. There is no way he will be getting 9 figures for this fight. This isn't going to be a 50/50 split. And even if it was - which it wont be - it wouldnt be a 50/50 split between Floyd and Conor because Conor has a contract with UFC. They are the ones negotiating the deal not Conor.

Floyd/Pac was a 60/40 split so lets say at best this fight is a 60/40 fight. Conor wont get that 40. At best he'll get 40% of 40%. In the 60/40 split between Floyd/Pac all in Floyd apparently took home $230m and Pacman about $150m. So absolute best case scenario for Conor I reckon is a payday of $60m. That is obviously insane still but its a long way short of the $100m some people claim he'd make. And that's best case if he's managed to get a 60/40 split in both deals. It wouldn't be insane to think it could be 30% of 30% so closer to $35m. Still a lot more than his usual $10m a fight he gets now for an MMA fight but not insane.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2017, 07:56:08 pm »
What is going to be interesting is Conor's reaction after he realises the gulf between them. And it will happen very quickly. Floyd will start clowning him after 1 or 2 rounds. Dropping his hands and letting Conor throw punches before just moving out the way and countering. Say what you want about Conor, but he is an elite fighter. In his career in MMA he has never came up against anyone who could clown him. He does that to others, nobody does that to him. So it will be very interesting to see how an elite fighter like him deals with getting embarrassed round in round out. He'll quickly realise that he can't win, probably after the first or second round and that will seriously hurt his pride because for an elite fighter to get the piss taken out of them in a fight - regardless of the discipline - will be hard to swallow, regardless of what he is getting paid for it, especially as he is the type of guy who is genuinely so delusional about how good he is that he will actually think he can win this fight.

You miss the first Diaz fight?

Offline JD.

• Continually left frustrated at the back. Desperate for it! No longer averaging 13 posts a day - luckily for us!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2017, 07:57:54 pm »
You miss the first Diaz fight?

No, did you?

I assume you did if you think anyone was clowning anyone in that fight.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:59:32 pm by JD. »

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2017, 07:59:26 pm »
No, did you?

So in Conors entire career he's never come up against someone that clowned him? We remember that fight completely different then.

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2017, 08:00:40 pm »
So in Conors entire career he's never come up against someone that clowned him?

No.

Every fight he is he of equal ability to whoever he is facing at least. He might lose a fight, but he's never come up against anyone who could literally drop their hands and treat him like a child because of the gulf in ability.

And yes, we obviously do. Because the one I remember was Diaz catching him when he was gassed and Nate leaving looking like he had been headbutting a brick wall. Leaving a fight with your face covered in blood sure as shit isn't a fight you had been clowning.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2017, 08:01:07 pm »
No.

Every fight he is he of equal ability to whoever he is facing at least. He might lose a fight, but he's never come up against anyone who could literally drop their hands and treat him like a child because of the gulf in ability.

Okaaay.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2017, 08:02:59 pm »
A pointless fight really because Mayweather will obviously win. McGregor has no shot. And I am a McGregor fan and dislike Floyd.

Conor is a good boxer by UFC standard, but UFC standard boxing is miles away from actual boxing. I think Conor is going to be stunned by the hand speed of Floyd. To be honest if Conor was to box a run of the mill pro boxer he'd still get absolutely clowned. So what bloody chance does he have against one of the best of all time? Zero.

All those years Conor has spent spreading his time learning different martial arts, Floyd has spent that time completely focused on one discipline. In fact it isn't even that, it is all that time and then a bloody decade on top of that. It's absolutely insane that anyone thinks Conor has a shot. The betting odds are ridiculous to be honest. Floyd should be 1/100.

The other thing that I really want to know is what Conor will be getting paid for this. I keep seeing people say $100m+. There is no way he will be getting 9 figures for this fight. This isn't going to be a 50/50 split. And even if it was - which it wont be - it wouldnt be a 50/50 split between Floyd and Conor because Conor has a contract with UFC. They are the ones negotiating the deal not Conor.

Floyd/Pac was a 60/40 split so lets say at best this fight is a 60/40 fight. Conor wont get that 40. At best he'll get 40% of 40%. In the 60/40 split between Floyd/Pac all in Floyd apparently took home $230m and Pacman about $150m. So absolute best case scenario for Conor I reckon is a payday of $60m. That is obviously insane still but its a long way short of the $100m some people claim he'd make. And that's best case if he's managed to get a 60/40 split in both deals. It wouldn't be insane to think it could be 30% of 30% so closer to $35m. Still a lot more than his usual $10m a fight he gets now for an MMA fight but not insane.

Hand speed and timing. Floyd is a sharpshooter and McGregor won't know what's hit him. Those lead rights are going to be stunning and you are right it won't take long for McGregor to realise he can't win and will them just start swinging.

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2017, 08:03:48 pm »
Okaaay.

That would be Diaz who he beat yeah?

Seriously, you either don't know what you are talking about mate, or you don't understand what the word clowning is. Taking the piss in a fight, trash talking, dropping hands for a second to wind your opponent isn't clowning. That's mind games.

Clowning is where there is such a gulf in class you don't even need to worry. Diaz vs Conor, both times, was a fucking war.

But go ahead. Tell me one time where a fighter could treat 2 division world champion like a child because of the gulf in ability.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:05:56 pm by JD. »

Offline JD.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2017, 08:08:13 pm »
Hand speed and timing. Floyd is a sharpshooter and McGregor won't know what's hit him. Those lead rights are going to be stunning and you are right it won't take long for McGregor to realise he can't win and will them just start swinging.

I don't think he understand's what he is for. He can take a punch as well as any boxer could I expect. Getting hit in the face is his career basically. But I don't think he'll ever have been in a situation where anyone could literally just do whatever they want to him whenever they want. And that will be the situation here. Floyd would legit be able to stand in front of him without a guard if he wanted and just dodge and counter.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2017, 08:09:52 pm »
Well one's a woman beater the other has a bit of a mouth

A bit?

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2017, 08:17:55 pm »
Keep the thread on track lads, be good to see if this one could stay unlocked for the duration  :wave

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2017, 08:19:33 pm »
That bit of a mouth has talked his way into a 100 million dollar fight in a sport he doesn't even compete in, job done as far as he is concerned.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2017, 08:20:14 pm »
No way this thread is staying open for the next two months up to and including fight night.  :D