Author Topic: Masterchef 2017  (Read 6568 times)

Online Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
Re: Masterchef 2017
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2017, 02:59:51 pm »
I think the Semi Finals were badly set up, barring a major slip up tonight from the 2 younger chefs the chap with the beard will be leaving. Matt should've been in the final for sure.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2017, 04:31:36 pm »
Mad how Matt looked like the strongest contestant throughout. They don't seem to take that into consideration - just strongest on the day. Which maybe in the restaurant world is the right thing to do, as you need to be consistently excellent. Though it does seem really harsh.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2017, 04:39:44 pm »
Its not the first time the 'best' chef has been ousted....think they want someone who is seen to develop as show goes on rather than brilliant from the off, also the bar is set so high he can only be marked down...someone like him winning sort of kills the shows 'aim'...but he looks like he's on for a big career

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2017, 04:41:15 pm »
So you can serve up half a plate's worth of dolphin potatoes and survive but they boot easily the best chef there on arguably the only slight wobble he's had.

Appreciate darts is on the day but it's made a mockery of the remaining episodes for me.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2017, 07:55:23 pm »
Can't believe they got rid of Matt - seemed to be the most innovative chef there, even if he wasn't at his best yesterday.

Not sure the semi-finals were as balanced as they could have been, tonight's 3 seem weaker, but we'll see.
yea, he seemed to win every round, then maybe makes his first mistake and he's out.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2017, 08:45:01 pm »
fucked it off now after seeing Matt going last night....pointless watching the final knowing the best chef of the series got booted out....absolute nonsense
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2017, 08:57:18 pm »
fucked it off now after seeing Matt going last night....pointless watching the final knowing the best chef of the series got booted out....absolute nonsense
He did, but it looked like he had the least impressive dish yesterday.

This kid Craig is really good too though, not as good as Matt, but pretty good.
Louise has improved a lot as the series went on.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2017, 09:38:21 pm »

I agree he was definitely one of the best 3 chefs and should have been in the final but I am not sorry he’s gone as he came across as a massively smug, pretentious wanker.

I love how people can make judgements on the quality of the food...I mean you can’t actually taste it so you’re all going on the style alone. Saying stuff like Matt was the best etc is patently bullshit as you haven’t tasted a single one of his dishes so yes aesthetically he might be the best but no one can make a judgement on his flavour combinations etc without tasting his food. In criticism too they seemed to go very easy on him, it was obvious he had made a few mistakes on both his main and dessert last night but both Monica and Marcus still let it slide meanwhile Louisa got pulled up on her duck being slightly over tonight. Like The Apprentice it’s all in the editing.

Anyway I want laughing boy to win it as unlike Matt he has a personality and doesn’t wear a privileged air of superiority every time he appears on screen, give me someone who seems to cook for the love of food and cooking over someone who wants to show me how incredibly arty, ground breaking and inventive they are with every dish they serve.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:43:53 pm by gritsvanilla »

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2017, 10:18:00 pm »
Harsh having those 3 in the first semi final together. All 3 should have been in the final week

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2017, 10:35:43 pm »
I love how people can make judgements on the quality of the food...I mean you can’t actually taste it so you’re all going on the style alone. Saying stuff like Matt was the best etc is patently bullshit as you haven’t tasted a single one of his dishes so yes aesthetically he might be the best but no one can make a judgement on his flavour combinations etc without tasting his food.

preposterous bollocks....the reaction of the judges at the tastings is what we the viewers rely on, not the style of the dishes...aesthetically his style was indeed superb...but it was the emotional responses to what he served up that proved they tasted as good as they looked - Wareing himself said on several occasions that they were the finest dishes he'd tasted on Masterchef and looked/sounded totally stunned at some of them......what's fucked the series up is putting the 3 best chefs into the one semi-final ..Matt had shone throughout and I was looking forward to seeing what innovation and originality (and fabulous food) he'd bring to the final...instead its going to be a predictable tussle of classic cuisine...and the fat wool will probably win it with his 'twist' on the traditional roast beef and Yorkshire pud........im out
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2017, 12:14:35 am »
As i said though Pistolero i agree he should have been in the final, the semi set up put paid to that however i do feel you are being a bit precious, it is ultimately an entertainment programme, the very idea that you can judge something as abstract as taste is preposterous (the same thing that makes things like the voice, bgt etc utter nonsense). I also don't believe a word any of the judges say, Marcus himself throws the superlatives about like confetti....'the best ever', 'ground breaking and innovative' come on pistol mate you can't really believe that shit can you? It's just mindless entertainment mate.

And to be fair for all the superlatives he's received earlier in the series his two dishes yesterday looked just a bit shit and there is nothing wrong with Beef and Yorkshire Pud btw.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:22:52 am by gritsvanilla »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2017, 12:25:42 am »
I fully expected Matt to win and it is criminal they put 3 of the best 4 into one semi (I expect so finals week wouldn't all be white guys), but I'm also not sorry he's gone. He was incredibly smug and came across like this was all a rehearsal for his own restaurant/cooking show. You could make a good case that the four most likeable contestants are in the final four and that's good enough for me, even if one of them does look exactly like Mark Noble.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2017, 12:35:25 am »
Upside down head from Family Guy i thought but Mark Noble's a good shout too.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2017, 09:18:01 am »
Masterchef is serious business ;D

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2017, 03:09:17 pm »
Duck a l'orange to get to the final? Seriously?

Some groundbreaking cooking there.

Raymond Blanc's place looks amazing though. Some seriously high standards there.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2017, 03:13:29 pm »
I agree he was definitely one of the best 3 chefs and should have been in the final but I am not sorry he’s gone as he came across as a massively smug, pretentious wanker.

I love how people can make judgements on the quality of the food...I mean you can’t actually taste it so you’re all going on the style alone. Saying stuff like Matt was the best etc is patently bullshit as you haven’t tasted a single one of his dishes so yes aesthetically he might be the best but no one can make a judgement on his flavour combinations etc without tasting his food. In criticism too they seemed to go very easy on him, it was obvious he had made a few mistakes on both his main and dessert last night but both Monica and Marcus still let it slide meanwhile Louisa got pulled up on her duck being slightly over tonight. Like The Apprentice it’s all in the editing.

Anyway I want laughing boy to win it as unlike Matt he has a personality and doesn’t wear a privileged air of superiority every time he appears on screen, give me someone who seems to cook for the love of food and cooking over someone who wants to show me how incredibly arty, ground breaking and inventive they are with every dish they serve.

A Manc fan too!

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2017, 06:17:52 pm »
Not sure how anyone can judge who was 'clearly' the best throughout the series despite not tasting any of their food!  ;D

He certainly made interesting dishes but at the end of the day, taste is the most important thing.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2017, 08:42:03 pm »
The issue with those semi finals is that the three strongest were in the same semi's. I didn't want Matt to win as he isn't my favourite but you can't argue he had the best feedback throughout the series. I mean how did that Tom get to the semi's too. Masterchef has always had this issue though, it's like in the skills test where you can do absolute wank and not even know basic skills but then cook a decent dish and the skills test goes out the window and it just goes down to your most recent dish. It's like the finals next week, it doesn't matter how they perform cooking for the best chefs in the UK or how they do at whatever Michelin star restaurant they find themselves in, but ultimately whatever dish is best when Gregg and co are all suited up will decide who wins.

Still enjoy it though

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2017, 08:44:06 pm »
It's like the finals next week, it doesn't matter how they perform cooking for the best chefs in the UK or how they do at whatever Michelin star restaurant they find themselves in, but ultimately whatever dish is best when Gregg and co are all suited up will decide who wins.

Still enjoy it though

This bit does puzzle me. What's the point of sending the chefs to cook for the Institute of Engineers, or in Raymond Blanc's restaurant or whatever, and not get feedback from them or factor in there performance there when judging?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2017, 08:57:50 pm »
This bit does puzzle me. What's the point of sending the chefs to cook for the Institute of Engineers, or in Raymond Blanc's restaurant or whatever, and not get feedback from them or factor in there performance there when judging?
and also how they perform in previous rounds (ie: consistency and/or continuous improvement).

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2017, 01:30:03 am »
Masterchef has always had this issue though, it's like in the skills test where you can do absolute wank and not even know basic skills but then cook a decent dish and the skills test goes out the window and it just goes down to your most recent dish.
The skills test is culturally biased towards certain kinds of chefs, which is why it has a certain level of importance in the end decision but is ultimatelt outweighed by talent, which is as it should be.
It's just for show, to get them out of the kitchen and change up the format as the show goes on. Each episode is divided into two and each chef presumably has only so many dynamite dishes anyway, so getting them out there makes sense because it stops the shows being too samey and lets them maintain their best stuff for the final dish.
and also how they perform in previous rounds (ie: consistency and/or continuous improvement).
Because it would reduce the sense of drama and importance of each final dish and give certain contestants 'an excuse' to cruise and get through with weaker dishes.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2017, 05:01:05 pm »
Craig the strong favourite to win now imo.

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2017, 05:02:58 pm »
Craig the strong favourite to win now imo.
I though he was before last nights. Then I though Jamie might have it with his feedback for the duck course. That was before Craig brought his dessert out.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2017, 03:48:04 pm »
Craig should win it. Id prefer Stephen to win because of his smiley nature.
These three and that chef patron who fluffed his fish were the best for me.
Louisa has been fab. Could probably loosen up a bit though.
Thought the Mirazur episode was a little underwhelming in comparison to that mad Italian place in the last couple of years. Can't remember the name.
Raymond Blancs place looked amazing too.
Rea
bollocks

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2017, 04:29:08 pm »
Yea, I think Craig has got to be the favourite at this stage.

It's still a shame that Matt went out a few eps back.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2017, 08:58:23 pm »
Good final

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2017, 08:58:59 pm »
Good final
I want to eat that dessert that Craig made.

and Stephen should open a high end fish n chip shop.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2017, 09:06:51 pm »
Deserved winner. Extraordinary for such a young age.
Good luck to them. 
bollocks

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2017, 09:08:23 pm »
Yea, fair dues to Craig. He was the most deserving of the finalists.

There should be a good way to track the careers of all these finalists.

Online Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2017, 09:18:57 pm »
Good final in the end, the best chef definitely won. He's only 21 and already that good, extremely impressive.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2018, 12:19:59 pm »
Masterchef semi-finalist Matt Campbell dies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-43864835

Jesus

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2018, 12:54:59 pm »
dreadful news
rip
bollocks

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2018, 01:22:59 am »
That's genuinely awful. 29 is no age to go.