Author Topic: Download BBC iPlayer videos  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
Download BBC iPlayer videos
« on: November 9, 2016, 09:54:02 pm »
Are there any programmes you can use to download BBC iPlayer videos and the likes permanently
 to your hard drive?
I know there are numerous ones that do youtube and the likes.

Ta in advance.   :wave
« Last Edit: November 9, 2016, 10:03:01 pm by Terry de Niro »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: Download BBC iPlayer videos
« Reply #1 on: November 9, 2016, 10:41:37 pm »
Get_iplayer used to be the dogs, but I suspect it is no longer updated.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?

Offline Paisley79

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 04:26:35 pm »
Is there an equivalent program for Sky Go and/or 4OD?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 08:42:37 pm »
So...how does this work? Any manuals that explains how to work this?

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 07:55:34 am »

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/guides/
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 12:35:46 am »
Various features that used to work natively (like search) have been eroded as iplayer itself has changed but the core functionality is still excellent.  You need to be able to use the command line interface, but for simple downloads there are probably only two commands you will ever need.

I tend to find the program on iplayer first and extract the PID number from the url e.g. from MOTD:
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08c7vmx/the-fa-cup-201617-third-round-replay-highlights

Armed with the PID, launch get iplayer which opens a command window. My 'go to' command would then be:
Code: [Select]
get_iplayer --pid=b08c7vmx --modes=best
This downloads the program at the highest quality available (generally 720p).  Sometimes our internet is so poor that we cannot stream HD content directly so the option to download is really useful.

The other command that might be useful is to change the default directory where stuff gets saved.  For Windows this would look something like:
--prefs-add --output "C:\Users\Red_Raw\Videos\BBC iPlayer"
Just plonk your own preferred path into double quotes.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 12:48:38 pm »
Various features that used to work natively (like search) have been eroded as iplayer itself has changed but the core functionality is still excellent.  You need to be able to use the command line interface, but for simple downloads there are probably only two commands you will ever need.

I tend to find the program on iplayer first and extract the PID number from the url e.g. from MOTD:
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08c7vmx/the-fa-cup-201617-third-round-replay-highlights

Armed with the PID, launch get iplayer which opens a command window. My 'go to' command would then be:
get_iplayer --pid=b08c7vmx --modes=best
This downloads the program at the highest quality available (generally 720p).  Sometimes our internet is so poor that we cannot stream HD content directly so the option to download is really useful.

The other command that might be useful is to change the default directory where stuff gets saved.  For Windows this would look something like:
--prefs-add --output "C:\Users\Red_Raw\Videos\BBC iPlayer"
Just plonk your own preferred path into double quotes.

thanks for this. very handy to have.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 08:14:22 am »
thanks for this. very handy to have.
The program eventually got broke by the changes BBC made to iplayer itself.  This seemed to be about the same time as they introduced the forced sign-in.

Another effect was that iplayer stopped working altogether on my Samsung telly which was a right pain.

Thankfully the excellent open source community have managed to work around the BBC changes and have restored get_iplayer to its former glory. If you haven't already, you therefore need to download the latest version from the Git Hub link above.

There is now a warning about having a TV license and I find that the program detects my VPN and won't download even if I am connected to a UK based server.

Other than that there don't seem to be any fundamental changes to the way it works, although I notice that the highest quality version is selected by default now so the 'modes' command should not be necessary.

Another handy feature is the option  to give a comma separated list of two or more pid codes to download several programs one after another - great if your internet is shite as you can leave it chuntering away if you are out/asleep.

Offline Paisley79

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 12:03:10 pm »
Is there a similar programme for Netflix / Amazon? Or Channel 4?