Author Topic: The Golf Thread  (Read 303259 times)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Golf Thread
« Reply #320 on: March 21, 2018, 08:34:58 pm »
McIlroy is 4 down after 9 against Peter Uihlein...

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #321 on: March 22, 2018, 09:29:34 am »
Couldn't touch Spieth at 14s if I'm honest. He can obviously win it but his putting is absolutely dogshit at the minute. The greens  at Augusta will chew him up if he putts like he has recently.
those greens are a nightmare. like putting on a road
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: March 22, 2018, 09:48:31 am »
those greens are a nightmare. like putting on a road

Your not wrong about the greens HR but the trick to a successful Augusta IMO is not to leave yourself ridiculously tricky putts in the first place.

Obviously, you need to bring your all-round 'A' game to win around there, but a top short game is paramount. Its not coincidence Tiger and Phil possess the best short game the world of golf has ever seen and have won it 9 times between them.

I see them both being up there come final day this year. Bubba, DJ, Spieth and Mcilroy no doubt challenging as cream usually rises to the top.

I really like Paul Casey this year and see him as the next big player to break his major duck.  Perhaps not in Augusta but maybe one of the other majors.

Might have been Gerry who mentioned the next Ryder Cup on a thread somewhere.  How good is that US team going to be in Paris!! Jim Furyk has got a plethora of amazing talent to choose from.

Edit: Sorry, Woods and Mickelson have won it 7 times and not 9 times between them.  Not as good as I thought the useless fuckers :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:04:17 am by Buck Pete »

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: March 22, 2018, 09:59:02 am »

good point about the short game but tiger and phil are in contention for most tournaments anyway. long game i think benefits the big hitters here, Mickelson driving can be erratic and Woods as i mentioned has a silly record for par 5s

i think every putt is a tricky one in augusta particularly when you see where some of them aim for a putt.

for bets i usually do a punt on freddy couples to be up there for the first and second round. the few times i did it i was very close to a payout but early rounds in Augusta he is usually going great, he just gets a bit tired then and his back isnt 100% for the later rounds and he blows up

the last ryder cup showed how talented america are, they wiped the floor with europe, im expecting it to be closer this year, last time i think some selections such as Westwood failed and players like Fitzpatrick, Willett and Sullivan hadnt done anything in months leading up to the Ryder cup. It was a very inexperienced team.

I actually cant wait to see John Rahm play in the ryder cup

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #324 on: March 22, 2018, 10:26:40 am »
I'm a big Spieth fan too, unbelievable player when everything's working but his putting has been off for months now. Definitely not a short term problem and that worries me.
Which is mental as his putting was the best part of his golfing when he was winning everything a couple of years ago (and The Open last year).

Just like McIlroy, any errors goes straight to his head and he can't shake them off easily. Once it clicks again, Spieth will be back on form.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: March 22, 2018, 03:18:41 pm »
Spieth is pretty streaky with the putter and already in his short career he has had a few slumps on the green but typically comes back even stronger. I remember hearing someone on the Golf channel going on about him and his putting style was the result of him having huge issues as you dont normally cross hands putting unless you trying to sort out hiccups on the green. Crazy as if you wanted anyone to putt for your mortgage he be one of the first I think of. Anyhoo Langer is another fellow who always seems to appear on the 1st page during the tournament, like Couples, which just shows you experience is the key. Good shout for Casey and likewise with Rose as I think he will win the Green jacket some day. Matsuyama pretty good odds right now and the lad usually figures on the final day.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: March 22, 2018, 03:25:54 pm »
hideki is 33 with willhill

might be worth a go

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: March 22, 2018, 03:46:12 pm »
Your not wrong about the greens HR but the trick to a successful Augusta IMO is not to leave yourself ridiculously tricky putts in the first place.

Obviously, you need to bring your all-round 'A' game to win around there, but a top short game is paramount. Its not coincidence Tiger and Phil possess the best short game the world of golf has ever seen and have won it 9 times between them.

I see them both being up there come final day this year. Bubba, DJ, Spieth and Mcilroy no doubt challenging as cream usually rises to the top.

I really like Paul Casey this year and see him as the next big player to break his major duck.  Perhaps not in Augusta but maybe one of the other majors.

Might have been Gerry who mentioned the next Ryder Cup on a thread somewhere.  How good is that US team going to be in Paris!! Jim Furyk has got a plethora of amazing talent to choose from.

Edit: Sorry, Woods and Mickelson have won it 7 times and not 9 times between them.  Not as good as I thought the useless fuckers :)

I started looking at potential Masters picks earlier this week and Casey was one that stood out. Last three years he's finished 6th, 4th, 6th. He has the recent win at the Valspar under his belt which will give him massive confidence and has only finished outside the top 20 once in 7 starts this season.

He is near the top of all the 'around the green' stats which means his short game is in good shape and he's 1st on the PGA Tour in strokes gained tee-to-green. His putting stats aren't the best, but as you've mentioned, he doesn't need to be be able to putt like Spieth if he's getting into good positions from off the green.

I've talked myself into this now, money on Casey at 28/1.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #328 on: March 22, 2018, 06:25:55 pm »
I started looking at potential Masters picks earlier this week and Casey was one that stood out. Last three years he's finished 6th, 4th, 6th. He has the recent win at the Valspar under his belt which will give him massive confidence and has only finished outside the top 20 once in 7 starts this season.

He is near the top of all the 'around the green' stats which means his short game is in good shape and he's 1st on the PGA Tour in strokes gained tee-to-green. His putting stats aren't the best, but as you've mentioned, he doesn't need to be be able to putt like Spieth if he's getting into good positions from off the green.

I've talked myself into this now, money on Casey at 28/1.
I've made a few bob putting a tenner on Casey to finish in the top 10 - he seems to be at ease at Augusta, but not quite aggressive enough to win. Hopefully, for you, that changes this year ;)
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: April 2, 2018, 10:11:49 am »
Saw Ian Poulter won over the weekend which grabbed the last invite to Augusta this week. Nice story for Poulter as he thought he had already got an invite the weekend prior when he was initially told his quarter finals appearance got a Masters spot. It didnt as he had to get to the semifinals but lost. Need to bug a mate who has gone a couple of times to see if he can get me in there some day ...any day....but I think he is just lucky to be asked himself. Better chance of scoring a date with a Victoria Secret model.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: April 3, 2018, 12:37:17 pm »
Deffo having an each way punt on Casey ... other than that I’m going to take a look today and have a ponder
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: April 3, 2018, 01:54:05 pm »
Just looking and can't see Westwood in the Masters Line-up

Did he not make an invite this year or is he injured?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #332 on: April 3, 2018, 02:03:26 pm »
Just looking and can't see Westwood in the Masters Line-up

Did he not make an invite this year or is he injured?

I think the field is just 87 this time mate, one of the smallest ever, so wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't made it.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: April 3, 2018, 02:48:01 pm »
I think the field is just 87 this time mate, one of the smallest ever, so wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't made it.

Yep, just looked at the exemption list and he isn't on it.

Outside of the top 50 world rankings and no decent finish in any of last years Majors.  Missed a top 12 spot in last years Masters by 2 shots which would have done the trick.

And his wife took 15m of his money in divorce proceedings.

Ouch

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: April 3, 2018, 06:46:15 pm »
Ouch indeed but I think the 15m he does have in his bank account and the new woman in his life will aid his pain. If he is cute enough he could do alright still on tour as only 45 this year. In 5 years time he could easily start the next stage of his career via the Champions tour and bag even more money than he has earned on the regular tour. Have a look at how much money is on the senior tour these days...Tom Jenkins  who had 1 win on the PGA tour has amassed $12m on the Champions tour. Crazy stuff and I dont think we need to shed a tear for Westwood & Co.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #335 on: April 14, 2018, 10:59:27 pm »
PGA Tour tournament, Kelly Kraft hit a birdie, however not the birdie he was hoping for, as his ball hit a bird in flight, & the ball ended up in the water, he ended getting a double bogey & missed the cut by a stroke.
#Sausages

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: April 16, 2018, 06:52:47 pm »
Some great golf clips on Youtube and one I found yesterday was Lee Trevino answering a few questions and one story had me lol. During the early 60s he was working at a local country club from morning to night doing everything from opening, up the shop, greeting club members, park their cars, cleaning their golf clubs shoes etc while still practicing when he could get a free hour or two. Easily the best golfer at the club, some of the members knew Raymond Floyd was coming into town so they arranged a match V Trevino where a few wagers were made. Floyd arrived that am in a big white Cadillac where he was greeted by Trevino who did his usual duties while Floyd went off to lunch. Floyd didnt have a clue who he was and eventually was introduced to his opponent that day and couldnt believe he was going to play the club handyman pretty much. Easiest money he ever made (he thought) but by the end of the round Trevino beat him by two shots. Frustrated as feck Floyd demanded to play him again that evening but Lee had to refuse as he had to wash the golf carts and put them away. Floyd shook his head as not only was he beaten by club's valet he was trounced by the clubs cart cleaner.  He eventually played him again the next day and lost ....only on the 3rd attempt then he beat the cart cleaner and when he went back to the PGA tour the next week he told a few buddies they better make room for this Mexican kid from a Texas country club and for god sake dont play him in a money game as he cleaned Floyd out.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: May 12, 2018, 04:52:26 pm »
Woods only just made the cut at The Players. Now he's - 8 through 12 and up to 5th.  :o

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: May 12, 2018, 09:24:20 pm »
Good stuff fowlermagic. Was Floyd a bit of a prick. Read a story of him deliberately walking over golfers  lines in the Ryder cup once

Webb Simpson was 11 under for his round yesterday until he double bogeyed 17!

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #339 on: June 14, 2018, 06:27:07 pm »
Fair play to McIlroy and Spieth and Lefty, clearing their weekend schedule so they can watch as much of the World Cup as possible.
Phil +7, Spieth +8, Rory +9 through 17.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #340 on: June 14, 2018, 06:32:39 pm »
Fair play to McIlroy and Spieth and Lefty, clearing their weekend schedule so they can watch as much of the World Cup as possible.
Phil +7, Spieth +8, Rory +9 through 17.
What’s going on? Is the course playing that tough?

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #341 on: June 14, 2018, 06:35:35 pm »
Phil +7, Jordan +8, Rory +10...just finished their 18 holes.

-1 leads. Rose and Poulter at that number.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #342 on: June 14, 2018, 06:38:44 pm »
What’s going on? Is the course playing that tough?

Yes, basically. Not tuned in that long, but the wind is whipping up a storm and nobody who's played more than 3 holes is below par. Putting a nightmare too.
Actually Poulter is in the clubhouse at -1. Must have played very well and/or had decent weather.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: June 14, 2018, 06:40:06 pm »
Sounds about right for a US Open.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: June 14, 2018, 06:45:23 pm »
Tiger tees off in a couple  minutes with Dustin Johnson and Justin Thomas.

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: June 14, 2018, 06:47:01 pm »
Yeah it’s a little brutal atm. Let’s see how the afternoon pans out. Some people are doing ok, but as said before a couple of bad shots from Rory and his head goes for 9holes.

Would love a Rose/Poulter victory. The yanks hate Poulter, would love to see him win for that alone.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: June 14, 2018, 07:25:34 pm »
Phil +7, Jordan +8, Rory +10...just finished their 18 holes.

-1 leads. Rose and Poulter at that number.

My mistake, Rose shot +1.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: June 14, 2018, 07:28:20 pm »
Tiger takes a 7 on the first after being in the fairway with his tee shot.

Over the green with his second. Tries a flop shot which doesn't get up enough and the ball comes back down the hill. Fourth shot, tries to putt it but again doesn't give it enough and it comes back down the hill a bit. 5th shot putts again past the pin 8 feet. 6 shot missed the putt. Taps in for a 7.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: June 14, 2018, 07:30:54 pm »
Farcical conditions.

Offline ALPH1217

• Legacy Fan
  • "C'MON YOU MIGHTY REDS!"
« Reply #349 on: June 14, 2018, 08:11:07 pm »
The golf course is kicking their arses.

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: June 14, 2018, 08:18:57 pm »
Was listening to Greg Norman, Tuesday iirc, as he has a radio show now over here.

He said Shinnecock Hills was the fairest toughest golf course in the world. Then went on to explain. He said even when he's played the course outside the Open, the members like a tough course with fast greens. So it plays like an Open course all the time.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: June 14, 2018, 10:47:36 pm »
Gonna be a big cut. DJ has been superb

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: June 14, 2018, 10:56:41 pm »
DJ teed off at 10 to 7 and he's only through 13 holes. Rock hard courses like this just turn rounds into an absolute slog and it's not good for the game.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: June 14, 2018, 11:02:38 pm »
Was thinking earlier that golf has got slow

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: June 14, 2018, 11:03:59 pm »
Was thinking earlier that golf has got slow

Looking at a nigh on 6 hour round at this pace and it's not Pebble Beach where he's playing alongside his father-in-law. He's a quick player too, so this is absolutely mental. A birdie fest is not desirable but this is so far in the other direction it's untrue. This turns people off the sport.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: June 14, 2018, 11:35:20 pm »
Looking at a nigh on 6 hour round at this pace and it's not Pebble Beach where he's playing alongside his father-in-law. He's a quick player too, so this is absolutely mental. A birdie fest is not desirable but this is so far in the other direction it's untrue. This turns people off the sport.
its quite long too. 500 plus yard par 4s!

Need to see some low scores tomorrow. Be nice to see a charge from some

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: June 15, 2018, 12:11:56 am »
I’d love a crack at the tips to see if I could break 100. I play off 8 and I think I’d struggle massively with this setup. Would be fun but brutal

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: June 15, 2018, 12:15:39 pm »
Love seeing the flat track bullies go south on a major leaderboard

Love the US Open and the USGA I really do. They promised to make sure Shinnicock would be easier than 2004. Yeah ok then :lmao

Never used to be over keen on Poulter but the lad has shown balls of Steel this season and I’d like to see him take this down.

Nobody other than a handful are completely out of this yet.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #358 on: June 15, 2018, 12:21:19 pm »
Love seeing the flat track bullies go south on a major leaderboard

Love the US Open and the USGA I really do. They promised to make sure Shinnicock would be easier than 2004. Yeah ok then :lmao

Never used to be over keen on Poulter but the lad has shown balls of Steel this season and I’d like to see him take this down.

Nobody other than a handful are completely out of this yet.

I enjoyed it too. Seeing Woods and co really struggle to make bogeys is quite nice once in a while. Not heard of the Englishman Scott Gregory is 22 over. His scorecard really does read like a half decent club golfers, made about 4 pars in the whole round!

Was dozing watching the final groups but I’m sure it showed a caption to show Justin Thomas hit his drive 422 yards on the 18th :lmao

Offline 4pool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: June 15, 2018, 03:02:30 pm »
Raining currently this morning..