Author Topic: Renovated Melwood?  (Read 42757 times)

Online Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
Re: Renovated Melwood?
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 11:07:02 pm »
Dunno, seems like end of a era for both Everton and Liverpool to move away from West Derby and move into these super facilties outside the city.

I see your point. It's sad, I think you lose the community feel a little bit. Melwood and Bellfield are/were situated next door to houses, communities, shops, pubs. The same people who frequent those places are the same people who go to the match of a weekend. It wouldn't be a too dissimilar story if we move everything to Kirkby but the complex up there isn't quite enveloped by the norms of day to day life like Melwood is.

It wouldn't surprise me to see us relocate to a whole new site though.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2017, 08:19:11 pm »
Petition going around to try and stop the club building 160 houses on the Melwood site.

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2017, 08:27:52 pm »
Petition going around to try and stop the club building 160 houses on the Melwood site.
Why?

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2017, 08:44:43 pm »
Why?

Traffic issues, pressure on local schools. They want the grounds used for something that doesn't line the pockets of the club according to The West Derby Society.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #44 on: August 2, 2017, 04:05:46 pm »
As there is such a housing shortage , surely it is better to build on rather than leave this historic location to become a wasteland? The west derby society were always the epitome of nimbyism and even big fat Joe couldn't refuse building houses on this patch - in fact I bet he would carry the bricks himself if it meant our history being cemented over. Dalglish crescent, Moran walk, Evans avenue, Melwood estate , first time buyers would be delighted to move into a beautiful location.

Offline sonny crockett

• Been highly respecting A@A since 2007, honestly, thinks the world of him!
  • Kopite
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2017, 06:06:41 am »
The west derby society like to moan about infrastructure, roads and no school places. They do have a point, Mill Lane going to town of a morning just keeps getting worse. All those new houses on Hollylodge land and over the road will cause murder soon. Every family having two or more cars. I'd rather they built houses on Melwood than Alder Hey though and concentrate their efforts on that battle.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #46 on: December 5, 2017, 02:52:18 pm »
On the beeb, quoting a twitter.

Andy Kelly
 ✔  @AndyK_LivNews 

Heading to Liverpool Town Hall shortly. #LFC planning application to build 160 homes on Melwood as part of move to new first team training facility at Kirkby. Cllrs currently on a site visit after lots of local objections.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #47 on: December 5, 2017, 02:53:15 pm »
Not really a surprise that there are plenty of local objections, you rarely get an application for a big load of houses without them.

Online istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #48 on: December 5, 2017, 08:50:28 pm »
Liverpool a step closer to new training facility after planning permission granted for Melwood

Objections from local residents and councillors fail as club can sell training ground for residential development

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-step-closer-new-training-13997551

Offline l12ngo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2018, 12:54:34 pm »
I still remember Houllier and Murphy having a quick pint in the Standard after training one day. No doubt due to his superb free kick the week before when we beat Man U at Old Trafford. So long ago now. The place was quite empty but a guy in a wheelchair who was on his own went over and asked for their autographs and they sat down and drank with him. A long time back now but I'm sure the fella still remembers it like it was yesterday.

Offline Macred

• Main Stander

Online richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: March 1, 2018, 12:52:32 pm »
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpools-state-art-training-complex-14351887

That seems curiously generous on the part of Knowlsey council. Not that I'm complaining mind.

Bet Klopp would kill for a full size indoor pitch this week. Will be great when this is all complete.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: March 1, 2018, 01:00:54 pm »
That seems curiously generous on the part of Knowlsey council. Not that I'm complaining mind.

Bet Klopp would kill for a full size indoor pitch this week. Will be great when this is all complete.

The bitters will find a reason to fewm about that ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 1, 2018, 01:14:14 pm »
Has Joe Anderson asked the Police to investigate the sale of the land yet?

Online richmiller1

• No! We will not let you go, let him go!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 1, 2018, 01:16:15 pm »
Our blue friends won't have to look too hard to find something to fewm over! We are selling the similar sized Melwood plot for circa £8m if you believe the Echo.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2018, 01:22:55 pm by richmiller1 »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2021, 11:14:59 am »
Fowler and Carra are buying Melwood for use with their academies

Reds legends part of 'legacy beyond football' plans for Melwood - official Site

A new partnership between North West housing and regeneration group Torus, the Fowler-Carragher Academy, swim! and Beth Tweddle Gymnastics has secured the future of Melwood's iconic training facilities building.

Since taking ownership of Melwood from Liverpool Football Club in August 2019, Torus has developed ambitious plans for a landmark mixed-use housing scheme, delivering affordable, sustainable, multi-generational living and enduring community connections.

With the team at Torus busy re-imagining Melwood as a lasting asset for the community, every effort was made to ensure the existing world-class facilities were retained, and opened up to the public for the first time.

Torus’ chief executive, Steve Coffey, said: “Melwood is an iconic site – for West Derby, for Liverpool and for Torus.

“We called our community consultation ‘a legacy beyond football’ to underline our vision for a landmark housing-led scheme. Retaining a strong sporting connection was always high on our list of priorities.”

The partnership announced today with a host of sporting legends gives the training facilities building a new lease of life.

The Fowler-Carragher Academy – the brainchild of Reds icons Robbie Fowler and Jamie Carragher – will take on operational responsibility for the existing building, which will host a college unlocking a range of brand-new training and educational opportunities for youngsters across the Liverpool City Region.

Swim! and Beth Tweddle Gymnastics – each with a focus on engaging children in activity at grassroots level and led by GB Olympians Steve Parry and Beth Tweddle respectively – will launch a sporting hub from the facility. Offering both swimming and gymnastics programmes, the hub will give local children aged 0+ the opportunity to try a new sport, make new friends and have fun.

“Partnering with Torus to kick off the new chapter in Melwood’s history was a natural fit for the Fowler-Carragher Academy and our mission to give local kids and young people opportunities to aspire and succeed,” said Carragher and Fowler, whose professional careers were nurtured and shaped at Melwood.

“We are extremely excited to provide the unique offer of a fantastic education alongside a professional football programme backed by sport science experts.

“Melwood will provide the opportunity of extending our offer and creating a beacon of national excellence, which we set out to create in 2015.”

Tweddle said: “I know Melwood’s sporting heritage occupies a strong place in Liverpool’s heart, which is why we jumped at the chance to be involved in this project, providing gymnastics and swimming for the local community in a world-class facility.

“We believe that every child deserves the opportunity to be active and, through this new facility, we will be able to do just that.”

Torus is also working with the Professional Footballers’ Association to explore options including supported housing at Melwood for ex-footballers with dementia and other care needs.

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor, on behalf of the PFA Charity, said: “We are pleased to support this project in principle, with particular regard to looking after those of our former members in need. We hope Melwood could become a national blueprint for such supported housing projects.”

Coffey added: “We’re incredibly excited to begin this journey with Fowler-Carragher Academy, swim!, Beth Tweddle Gymnastics and the PFA.

“By working together to both honour the site’s past and re-imagine its future, Melwood will become an exemplar of how a housing-led scheme can meet multiple local needs and unlock sustainable positive change for communities.”

Why Robbie Fowler and I are buying Melwood - Jamie Carragher

I am officially returning to my spiritual home today.

Robbie Fowler and I have joined forces to take over the site of Liverpool’s former training ground at Melwood. Our academies are merging to offer a pathway for those looking for work in the football or sports industry.

It is our ambition to help create a new generation of well-trained professionals who, if they cannot revive their playing careers, will become sport scientists, physiotherapists or coaches. We will be offering several courses and scholarships for those seeking help gaining employment across many fields.

Robbie and I have been in discussions for some time about forming a partnership, so when the Melwood site became available, the emotional connection was immediate and we realised it was the perfect venue. We’re thrilled the deal is being formally announced.

We will be keeping most of the Melwood facilities we enjoyed during our playing careers, including the main building and a couple of the football pitches. As ex-Liverpool players, we will also be preserving the spirit of the old training ground, ensuring visitors are left in no doubt about the rich history of the venue.

Although many who attend our academies are those we are trying to help get back into the game, the opportunities will extend beyond helping former or future professional footballers.

We are also liaising with other notable sporting figures such as Merseyside Olympians, gymnast Beth Tweddle and swimmer Stephen Parry, as we seek to take advantage of outstanding facilities Liverpool FC left behind when they relocated.

Robbie and I have also spoken to the Professional Footballers Association and will be offering the site as a hub for dementia research and support for members, a subject which the public has become increasingly aware of following several high-profile cases.

Since Liverpool vacated Melwood, it’s been a personal joy for me to be able to return to the place where I spent all of my playing career.

When I retired as a Liverpool player, my morning routine was so engraved in my memory I would sometimes find myself heading towards the training ground as if I was still working there. I would have to reverse the car and realise I was no longer a Liverpool player!

It makes me extremely proud to know that I can get back to driving through those famous gates again every day.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2021, 11:22:56 am »
Superb that ^^

Online cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2021, 01:45:44 pm »
Fantastic news that, hopefully giving local kids sporting opportunities in top class facilities for years to come

Offline D🐶G

• Sworn enemy of C🙀T
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2021, 01:46:56 pm »
Great news this is. Much rather Melwood be put to good use and be around in its current form, than it end up as another housing estate. Well done to all involved in making this happen.
Twitter - @ElmDag - 19 League Titles • 8 FA Cups • 9 Football League Cups • 16 FA Charity Shields • 6 UEFA European Cups • 3 UEFA Cups • 4 UEFA European Super Cups • 1 FIFA Club World Cup