Author Topic: Netflix's Narcos - The Pablo Escobar Story  (Read 71887 times)

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
Re: Netflix's Narcos - The Pablo Escobar Story
« Reply #40 on: September 1, 2015, 03:40:03 am »
This the first Cocaine Cowboy's docu, well worth watching.

https://youtu.be/0WjYitGWrYg
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: September 1, 2015, 03:44:36 am »
One criticism for the show is the elevated role of some random American guys have in this show. The narrator, the DEA agent, is sometimes too cocky and gets away with it. It's a classic case of showing the American superiority, and had it not been him, large masses in the US would think it's Hispanic only show for Hispanic audiences.

So this is a necessary evil to sell the show to a larger group of people. Very similar to that one white guy in Asia thing Netflix did with Marco Polo. If I am honest, that is leaving a bit of a bad taste. Very understandable, yet, unnecessary. In the 21st century, the audience is sophisticated enough to watch a good show without such bullshit.

Marco Polo was even worse in many ways. Europe was a much less developed place back then, compared to Asia, and the idea that some guy comes and teaches the ruler of whole of Asia the life, and plays such important role in many events is a gross exaggeration.

This is my only beef with Narcos. Pena's character seems very real, the other guy, Murphy's character, in turn, just isn't on the same level.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #42 on: September 1, 2015, 04:08:57 am »
I hope they spin it out. Tell the next part and final end of Escobar, with the next season. Then move it in later seasons to tell Griselda Blanco's story. It doesn't have to just be about Escobar.

There is a massive amount of story to be told, Escobar wasn't the only one at it, loads of connections and aspects. They could make a decent fictional film/series just adapting the first Cocaine Cowboys itself.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 1, 2015, 07:07:31 am »
Thought all characters were immense.

Will there be another series?
theyre up to around the last 18 months of his life so can't imagine more than one more season based on Escobar, would be good to have series 3 onwards based on the Cali cartel, hardly anything is done in English on them and their story is just as interesting

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 1, 2015, 09:13:45 am »
One criticism for the show is the elevated role of some random American guys have in this show. The narrator, the DEA agent, is sometimes too cocky and gets away with it. It's a classic case of showing the American superiority, and had it not been him, large masses in the US would think it's Hispanic only show for Hispanic audiences.

So this is a necessary evil to sell the show to a larger group of people. Very similar to that one white guy in Asia thing Netflix did with Marco Polo. If I am honest, that is leaving a bit of a bad taste. Very understandable, yet, unnecessary. In the 21st century, the audience is sophisticated enough to watch a good show without such bullshit.

Marco Polo was even worse in many ways. Europe was a much less developed place back then, compared to Asia, and the idea that some guy comes and teaches the ruler of whole of Asia the life, and plays such important role in many events is a gross exaggeration.

This is my only beef with Narcos. Pena's character seems very real, the other guy, Murphy's character, in turn, just isn't on the same level.

Yup,

Boyd is a fucking twat who pales in comparison to the quiet sinister vibe of Wagner and the grittiness of Pascal.

Netflix recently dropped a whole host of out-dated titles and have said they are focusing more heavily on exclusive content and combined with the fact that they have ambitious plans to launch in various markets, we are watching what could be the first of many non-American centric shows that start to cater to demographics world-wide.

Personally, I can't wait.

Roll on Beasts of No Nation.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Toxteth_Terror

• Kopite
« Reply #45 on: September 1, 2015, 09:34:55 am »
Doing a couple of episodes a night this week... loving it so far!

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 1, 2015, 10:29:43 am »
Doing a couple of episodes a night this week... loving it so far!

Me too

Eps 3 and 4 tonight hopefully

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 1, 2015, 11:13:44 am »
Spoiler of a character in Episode 4:
Spoiler
There's a film depiction of Barry Seal in production, Mena. Tom Cruise is playing him:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3532216/?ref_=nv_sr_4
[close]

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #48 on: September 1, 2015, 02:59:39 pm »
I am loving it. Obviously, I don't know how accurate the history is in this show, but watching with a complete zero prior knowledge, the show is very entertaining.

Another winner from Netflix.

Great show, though not 100% factually correct.  Still, it's well done.  Wagner Moura is a great actor, loved him in Elite Squad 1&2

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: September 2, 2015, 12:01:36 pm »
Eps 3 and 4 very interesting as opposed to Brutal.

Spoiler
The whole story in these episodes of Pablito getting into politics and ultimately falling out of politics was fascinating and how the Minister of Justice had the balls to stand up to him and his kind.  Obviously paying with is life.

I did wonder in the first episode when the narrator mentioned how the mugshot of him during his first arrest years earlier would come back to bite him in the ass.

The scale of his operations and the amount of palms he was greasing to keep it ticking over is fucking staggering.

Loved the line by the DEA guy  "Can anyone keep a secret in Colombia?"
[close]

Looking forward to 5 and 6 tonight.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #50 on: September 2, 2015, 02:09:52 pm »
Spoiler of a character in Episode 4:
Spoiler
There's a film depiction of Barry Seal in production, Mena. Tom Cruise is playing him:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3532216/?ref_=nv_sr_4
[close]

Ewwww...Tom Cruise - will still watch this despite him
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #51 on: September 2, 2015, 02:14:54 pm »
Episode 3, I liked this is line

Spoiler
"I'm not going to be good, I'm going to be great"

Escobar bypassing morality
[close]

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 2, 2015, 02:37:38 pm »

Spoiler
The DEA can go f themselves.
Loved the show, one of the first of hopefully many not tainted with American jingoism
[close]

Finished the show. Fking fantastic all round. They've gone so fast though and maybe Season 2 will shift the focus onto the Cali cartel?

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #53 on: September 2, 2015, 03:36:28 pm »
I think this is great. Didnt really know much about Escobar before watching, but I love the leads portrayal of him form the few clips I've watched on youtube. Almost plays him a bit dopey.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 3, 2015, 12:02:42 am »
Major Episode 6 spoiler!!!

Spoiler
Gacha  AKA El Mexicano is dead meat. :)

Loved the bit where Javier Peña is in the helicopter that hovers above Gacha, looking down on El Mexicano and waits for the order.  He turns to the Police marksman alongside him and says "Give him lead"

Just read online what really happened.  Gacha actually pulled the pin on a grenade right in front of his own face once he saw his son getting killed in the shootout at the ranch.  They should have done that in this i reckon and keep it true to actually what went on.  Think it would have made quite a good scene too.

Some of the Politicians and cops in Colombia circa 1989 had balls of steel.
[close]

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 3, 2015, 12:45:28 am »
Plata o Plomo?

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 3, 2015, 08:18:48 am »
Plata o Plomo?

:)

Oh yes!!  Had to google it first as my Spanish is a bit rusty

Una Paloma Blanca

Offline BigMarcs

• Would like an R with his Mac...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 3, 2015, 08:49:55 am »
Up to the last episode, and loving it!

After watching the clusterfuck that was True Detective season 2, it's so refreshing watching something with clear, succinct storytelling, in which I don't have to google the 'whats what' after every episode.
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/bigcreds

Offline paul211b

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: September 3, 2015, 09:41:12 am »
Finished episode 10 last night, thats season 1.  From what I know about Pablo etc surely there is more to come?

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 3, 2015, 05:37:42 pm »
2 episodes in and loving it.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 3, 2015, 05:40:58 pm »
Just downloaded it. Mates saying it is pretty good.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 3, 2015, 05:45:11 pm »
Renewed for Season 2 ;D
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 3, 2015, 07:06:10 pm »
Binged watched this. Surprisingly good stuff.

Offline Flinstone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 3, 2015, 07:10:46 pm »
  Had to google it first as my Spanish is a bit rusty

Which version are you watching mate? Watch the version which was originally created for launch in Latin America. The seamless transitions between Spanish and English make the show so much more authentic.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #64 on: September 3, 2015, 11:20:10 pm »
Renewed for Season 2 ;D
I guess NFLX chose plata, not plomo

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: September 4, 2015, 10:04:39 am »
Which version are you watching mate? Watch the version which was originally created for launch in Latin America. The seamless transitions between Spanish and English make the show so much more authentic.

Not sure mate. How will I know which version?

This has been a really fine series.  Love the grittiness of it and although Agent Murphy's character isn't the strongest I think the narration from him has been brilliant and does a great job of explaining things (especially the Politics behind he whole situation and Pablo's thought processes and motives) to those of us who didn't really know anything about what went on during the Escobar years.

I feel the same way about this show as i did while watching Gommorah. Cant wait to watch the next episode basically :)

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #66 on: September 4, 2015, 07:42:20 pm »
Loving this. Not a topic I'm massively familiar with aside from the general story. Seen five episodes.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 6, 2015, 08:32:21 pm »
Yeah, thought it was bloody brilliant. Theres also a docu added on Netflix called 'Sins of my Father' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1523980/ Plan on watching it later

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 6, 2015, 09:09:44 pm »
Ive made the mistake of watching the first one and now want to watch the next, my type of series. Just too much backlog on the sky planner to get through 1st.

Netflix are really on fire though with these exclusive series, the Idris Elba one looks a belter too and the women in prison one had its moments

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #69 on: September 6, 2015, 09:29:23 pm »
Are these eps available on torrents anywhere?

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 6, 2015, 09:50:13 pm »
Shush have put Narcos and Mr Robot on the site today.

http://www.shush.se/index.php?showlist=narcos
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #71 on: September 7, 2015, 05:19:25 am »
Done. Absoluty fascinating.

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #72 on: September 7, 2015, 08:25:28 pm »
Narcos all ten episodes done now, phew what a ride. Most interestingly there was next to no cocaine use in it from the Columbian side, don't get high on your own f ing enormous supply.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 7, 2015, 10:20:08 pm »
Binged the lot, over the weekend. I like very much. Next half of his story should be quite good to.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 7, 2015, 10:27:29 pm »
Yeah, thought it was bloody brilliant. Theres also a docu added on Netflix called 'Sins of my Father' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1523980/ Plan on watching it later
This was quite good. Watch it if you've just finished Narcos.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #75 on: September 7, 2015, 11:13:41 pm »
Narcos all ten episodes done now, phew what a ride. Most interestingly there was next to no cocaine use in it from the Columbian side, don't get high on your own f ing enormous supply.
I don't know why they didn't show it, but that's not true, they were all off their tits on it. Its maybe one of the things which contributed to Escobar being so unpredictable.

Online Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 8, 2015, 10:17:29 am »
Watched 9 and 10 last night.  Wow what a ride. One of the best factual dramas I have ever watched. Riveting stuff.

Eps 9 and 10 spoiler below and possible spoilers for season 2.

Spoiler
Not knowing the exact Escobar story beforehand but knowing he was eventually killed, I was totally expecting Pablo to die in a rein of bullets during the firefight at La Catedral prison.  Not to be though as he indeed escaped La Catedral. Go Pablo!! :)

The part where Pablo killed his two partners Moncada (with the pool queue) and Galeano was particularly brutal and showed just how much Pablito was losing it.  Anyone who has read the book etc,  Was this part made up for TV as I cant find any mention of these two guys on a google search?

I do know he was eventually killed in 1993 only 1 year after he escaped from La Catedral.  I dare not read too much into it as I don't want to spoil the second series for myself.

I assume the second series will focus on the year between his escape and death and the manhunt for Pablo by the authorities and Los Pepes group (Los Perseguidos por Pablo Escobar, "People Persecuted by Pablo Escobar")

Anyhow, season 2 needs only be half as good as series 1 and I will love it
[close]

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 8, 2015, 11:50:48 am »
Should have gotten Oscar Isaac to play Escobar, as the guy is almost in everything these days.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #78 on: September 8, 2015, 07:39:12 pm »
Watched 9 and 10 last night.  Wow what a ride. One of the best factual dramas I have ever watched. Riveting stuff.

Eps 9 and 10 spoiler below and possible spoilers for season 2.

Spoiler
Not knowing the exact Escobar story beforehand but knowing he was eventually killed, I was totally expecting Pablo to die in a rein of bullets during the firefight at La Catedral prison.  Not to be though as he indeed escaped La Catedral. Go Pablo!! :)

The part where Pablo killed his two partners Moncada (with the pool queue) and Galeano was particularly brutal and showed just how much Pablito was losing it.  Anyone who has read the book etc,  Was this part made up for TV as I cant find any mention of these two guys on a google search?

I do know he was eventually killed in 1993 only 1 year after he escaped from La Catedral.  I dare not read too much into it as I don't want to spoil the second series for myself.

I assume the second series will focus on the year between his escape and death and the manhunt for Pablo by the authorities and Los Pepes group (Los Perseguidos por Pablo Escobar, "People Persecuted by Pablo Escobar")

Anyhow, season 2 needs only be half as good as series 1 and I will love it
[close]
Erm he wasn't a hero, no yay go Pablo, no, he was a vicious mass murdering c*nt.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 8, 2015, 07:50:50 pm »
Erm he wasn't a hero, no yay go Pablo, no, he was a vicious mass murdering c*nt.
Pablo? Pablito!
;D