Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1806745 times)

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #12920 on: April 25, 2018, 09:16:29 pm »
Sessegnon should go and play abroad. Spain or France. He is an exceptional talent.

Our midfield options are so bad right now, it could turn into our Achilles heel at the business end of the season. We are one injury from being a starting ten. Some players might have to play out of position or we may need to go to a different formation.

Joe Allen is looking like a player we might have kept.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #12921 on: April 25, 2018, 09:24:59 pm »
Sessegnon should go and play abroad. Spain or France. He is an exceptional talent.

Our midfield options are so bad right now, it could turn into our Achilles heel at the business end of the season. We are one injury from being a starting ten. Some players might have to play out of position or we may need to go to a different formation.

Joe Allen is looking like a player we might have kept.
Thing is we’re not short of central midfielders when everyone is fit. We’ve got Hendo, Milner, Can, Wij, Ox and Lallana who all play in our midfield three. To have three of them out at once is bad luck. Hopefully the three fit players can get through the next week. If they do we’ll be fine. Send the ressies to Chelsea. Even if we lose there we’ll only need a point from Brighton by which time the first eleven would have had ten days rest. Get what we need from Brighton and use it to put game time in the legs for the potential final. A low intensity win over Stoke and a battling result against Roma with no injuries please.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #12922 on: April 25, 2018, 11:27:35 pm »
Sign Xabi Alonso
Out of contract... retired a few months ago (looked in fine shape in the legends game)

I'm not really joking .... he could absolutely do a Paul Scholes out of retirement job for us in the remaining league games especially vs Stoke / Brighton ...... whose with me???!!!!!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12923 on: April 25, 2018, 11:28:20 pm »
Sign Xabi Alonso
Out of contract... retired a few months ago (looked in fine shape in the legends game)

I'm not really joking .... he could absolutely do a Paul Scholes out of retirement job for us in the remaining league games especially vs Stoke / Brighton ...... whose with me???!!!!!

I'm in.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #12924 on: April 25, 2018, 11:34:19 pm »
I'm in.

There is no such thing as a transfer window. It's more a registration window when you can register players to play for you. We cannot register anybody to play for us until the window opens again. We maybe could have if we had a space in the squad (genuinely not sure here, I remember Shefki Kuki being registered to play for someone in March), but according to the premier league's own website, they confirm we have submitted a full 25 man squad. So no dice I'm afraid.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12925 on: April 25, 2018, 11:34:55 pm »
There is no such thing as a transfer window. It's more a registration window when you can register players to play for you. We cannot register anybody to play for us until the window opens again. We maybe could have if we had a space in the squad, but according to the premier league's own website, they confirm we have submitted a full 25 man squad. So no dice I'm afraid.

Spoilsport ;D

Offline cashmere pringle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12926 on: April 25, 2018, 11:38:29 pm »
I'm in.

is that allowed ?  anyone got his number ?

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #12927 on: April 25, 2018, 11:51:23 pm »
Spoilsport ;D
Was digging into this to try and get an answer.

In the official Premier League handbook, it states: "Outside a transfer window, the board in its absolute discretion may: refuse an application to register a player; or grant an application to register a player and, if thought fit, impose conditions by which the club making the application and the player shall be bound."

But free agents, those players not currently attached to clubs, can still sign terms elsewhere.

Despite the transfer window deadline coming and going on Wednesday night, clubs are free to sign unattached players at any point in the season as long as they register the player in their 25-man Premier League squad.

So we can sign him and we can register him if we have space. I see on the premier league that we registered 25 players but I am not so sure. I just cannot get up to 25 no matter how I cut it. Bogdan takes us up to 21, Markovic & Flanagan and many others left. U21 players don't count as part of the 21. Which makes me wonder if Gomez, Solanke, Woodburn are being counted as part of that 25? If they are, then we likely still have space to sign 4 free agents.

I am going Stevie, Garcia, Alonso and Riise just because I like the ginger fucker :D
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12928 on: April 25, 2018, 11:59:21 pm »

So we can sign him and we can register him if we have space. I see on the premier league that we registered 25 players but I am not so sure. I just cannot get up to 25 no matter how I cut it. Bogdan takes us up to 21, Markovic & Flanagan and many others left. U21 players don't count as part of the 21. Which makes me wonder if Gomez, Solanke, Woodburn are being counted as part of that 25? If they are, then we likely still have space to sign 4 free agents.

I am going Stevie, Garcia, Alonso and Riise just because I like the ginger fucker :D

Haha definitely could

Palace signed cavalieri (our old keeper for avoidance of doubt from my spelling) last month from memory as was a free agent

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12929 on: April 26, 2018, 12:10:42 am »
Pray to god Hendo, Milner or Wijnaldum don’t get injured if we get to the final, because we’re not winning this thing with Emre Can there.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #12930 on: April 26, 2018, 12:18:13 am »
Weve got the best midfield in the world
if we sign xabi and stevie
we'll get them on freebies
and that will get us top four

everybody now, wooh-oo-ooo-oo-o ....
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #12931 on: April 26, 2018, 01:14:28 am »

Can also add youth players to the UEFA B list during the season, so long as they are registered 24 hours before the match in question.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #12932 on: April 26, 2018, 02:54:59 am »
I wonder what is the chance of seeing both Moreno and TAA in midfield in games against the likes of Stoke. Not from the beginning, but later on to give Gini a rest. Moreno has played on the left, and it would not be too much for TAA to adapt on the right side. Then Gomez is a straight swap at the back, and Robbo seems like he can cope with the game load.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12933 on: April 26, 2018, 03:05:39 am »
It would take weeks to get Xabi back up to fitness levels in order to play in our midfield, so I dont think thats an option.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12934 on: April 26, 2018, 03:36:56 am »
Sign Xabi Alonso

WHAT an IDEA!!!! Seriously, cam we do that?
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #12935 on: April 26, 2018, 03:44:07 am »
We need 4 points and we're safe.
If we beat Chelsea we're safe.
If we draw one, win one and lose to Chelsea we're safe.
If Chelsea don't win every remaining game, while we lose every game, we're safe.

That's so unlikely, even with so little games left, that preserving our remaining midfielders for the CL must be the priority. I can't see how it can be seen any other way. We're one injury away from fielding Woodburn in a CL semi or final.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #12936 on: April 26, 2018, 03:51:31 am »
Pray to god Hendo, Milner or Wijnaldum don’t get injured if we get to the final, because we’re not winning this thing with Emre Can there.

Wouldn’t it help right now anyway just to have Emre there? We’re basically up shit creek without a paddle if another midfielder gets injured (hope and pray they don’t).

Emre is also a pretty good footballer. Aside from the high probability of him not being here next season. At this point (with Ox out for the season) I’m just hoping to wake up one day and read that this back injury has healed and he’s ready to return.
YWNA

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12937 on: April 26, 2018, 04:34:20 am »
Naby must be salivating watching our games. :)
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12938 on: April 26, 2018, 06:21:08 am »
Naby must be salivating watching our games. :)

I would imagine that if we win the CL, he would be rather wish that we had signed him one season earlier...

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #12939 on: April 26, 2018, 07:04:05 am »
I would imagine that if we win the CL, he would be rather wish that we had signed him one season earlier...
Why? We’re so far from winning the league, so it wouldn’t matter. If we lose the final, than that’s another story.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12940 on: April 26, 2018, 07:09:27 am »
Could play Ings as an AM(head of the midfield 3). He's better as a 10 and played in many a times.

We need to rest Miller, Gio and Hendo at times.

Offline Dundalis

• Kopite
« Reply #12941 on: April 26, 2018, 07:21:33 am »
I think it would be one or the other - either Neves replaces Can or we're happy to go with Henderson/Wijnaldum as the holding option and will get Maddison to play ahead of them.

With Keita coming, I don't think we're signing more than another one in midfield - a journalist friend I have near Norwich reckons we're signing Maddison so we'll see.  I'd happily take either, think both are quality with a ton of potential to improve, and we've seen before that our recruitment policy can be quite fluid, with the players we're initially linked with turning out to be quite different to the ones we end up getting.
If Can leaves, Ox has potentially done his ACL putting him out for pretty much all next season, you have injury prone Lallana and a 34 year old Milner. This team wanted/needed Keita, even with Can, a healthy Ox/Lallana and Coutinho, who was a midfield player for us, even if he had the versatility to play in the front 3. Keita was not meant to be a replacement for anyone, he was meant to be a straight addition of quality. We now need to replace potentially 3 players in Can, Coutinho and Ox. People seem to have forgotten the Coutinho out simply because we've been able to cover for his absence. It's still a massive hit on squad depth, and replacing him is even more important than replacing Can. I think you can't rely on Lallana, so that makes 4. The idea that Keita is a replacement for an outgoing player, and we then only need one further midfielder to replace Can is underestimating how decimated the midfield depth has potentially become. I don't think it's close to good enough to challenge in all competitions if the team wants to do that next season.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:33:28 am by Dundalis »

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12942 on: April 26, 2018, 07:32:01 am »
Ox hasn't been ruled out for all next season in fact he might be available for the start of it and Milner is 32. Chill dude.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12943 on: April 26, 2018, 07:37:48 am »
Lallana hopefully back in training next week according to Joyce. That would be huge.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12944 on: April 26, 2018, 07:44:21 am »
Lallana hopefully back in training next week according to Joyce. That would be huge.

Very welcome news indeed!

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #12945 on: April 26, 2018, 07:46:06 am »

We need him this weekend.

He has to rest Henderson or Milner and play two.

3-5-2 is surely best option.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Dundalis

• Kopite
« Reply #12946 on: April 26, 2018, 07:48:47 am »
Ox hasn't been ruled out for all next season in fact he might be available for the start of it and Milner is 32. Chill dude.
That depends what the injury is. If it's an ACL, he's ruled out for most of next season, no questions asked. If he isn't that's great. Think the point is Keita was bought as a straight addition to a midfield including Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Can, Lallana and Coutinho. Not to replace one of them. We will likely have lost two from that midfield by seasons end, and another is 30 and been cut down with injuries. The idea that we only need one midfield player in doesn't add up.

I'm also of the opinion that this teams inability to break down teams that effectively park the bus is due to the lack of quality in the midfield as opposed to up front. Keita will help, but I don't think he's going to do any more offensively than Coutinho was able to do, and we still had problems. To me a proper talented deep lying playmaker who can control tempo should be a priority addition. City do it with De Bruyne and Silva, we don't have anyone remotely like that (Keita is a completely different type of player).

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #12947 on: April 26, 2018, 08:00:51 am »
Some top class midfielders who could be registered for 3 or so games given our staff shortage:
Xabi Alonso
Steven Gerrard
Andrea Pirlo
Xabi Hernandez? (Is the Qatar league over now? I believe this is is his last season)

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12948 on: April 26, 2018, 08:11:13 am »

It's match fitness with Lallana. Needs a run of games.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12949 on: April 26, 2018, 08:30:14 am »

He may only be available for the last three or four games but at least having him available to come on for the last twenty minutes is a huge plus as opposed to having no one. Also someone experienced to come on if we get another injury. Desperate times

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12950 on: April 26, 2018, 08:32:55 am »
That depends what the injury is. If it's an ACL, he's ruled out for most of next season, no questions asked. If he isn't that's great. Think the point is Keita was bought as a straight addition to a midfield including Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Can, Lallana and Coutinho. Not to replace one of them. We will likely have lost two from that midfield by seasons end, and another is 30 and been cut down with injuries. The idea that we only need one midfield player in doesn't add up.

I'm also of the opinion that this teams inability to break down teams that effectively park the bus is due to the lack of quality in the midfield as opposed to up front. Keita will help, but I don't think he's going to do any more offensively than Coutinho was able to do, and we still had problems. To me a proper talented deep lying playmaker who can control tempo should be a priority addition. City do it with De Bruyne and Silva, we don't have anyone remotely like that (Keita is a completely different type of player).

Joyce says its not Acl and he could make pre season which is a huge relief. Both in terms of our squad at the start of the season and in terms of the ox making a full recovery.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #12951 on: April 26, 2018, 08:38:44 am »
He may only be available for the last three or four games but at least having him available to come on for the last twenty minutes is a huge plus as opposed to having no one. Also someone experienced to come on if we get another injury. Desperate times

It really isn’t desperate

We’ve got at most 5 games left. Two of those, at least, shouldn’t be particularly intense and if we get there there’s a nice long break to the CL Final. Coming into these last few games we look about in the best shape of most clubs.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #12952 on: April 26, 2018, 08:38:46 am »
We can't play all three from the start on Saturday.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12953 on: April 26, 2018, 08:42:54 am »
It really isn’t desperate

We’ve got at most 5 games left. Two of those, at least, shouldn’t be particularly intense and if we get there there’s a nice long break to the CL Final. Coming into these last few games we look about in the best shape of most clubs.

I meant our midfield options are pretty weak. Another injury would be disaster. All our games are intense until we've secured top four and the CL final.

Other than that I agree we're in great shape in terms of the form of the personal available. We just have to pray they remain available.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12954 on: April 26, 2018, 09:06:26 am »

He does but it SHOULD be all about the CL final.... even as an option off the bench in that could be huge for us

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12955 on: April 26, 2018, 09:13:57 am »
If Can leaves, Ox has potentially done his ACL putting him out for pretty much all next season, you have injury prone Lallana and a 34 year old Milner. This team wanted/needed Keita, even with Can, a healthy Ox/Lallana and Coutinho, who was a midfield player for us, even if he had the versatility to play in the front 3. Keita was not meant to be a replacement for anyone, he was meant to be a straight addition of quality. We now need to replace potentially 3 players in Can, Coutinho and Ox. People seem to have forgotten the Coutinho out simply because we've been able to cover for his absence. It's still a massive hit on squad depth, and replacing him is even more important than replacing Can. I think you can't rely on Lallana, so that makes 4. The idea that Keita is a replacement for an outgoing player, and we then only need one further midfielder to replace Can is underestimating how decimated the midfield depth has potentially become. I don't think it's close to good enough to challenge in all competitions if the team wants to do that next season.

You also have to consider we'll have Grujic returning.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12956 on: April 26, 2018, 09:40:34 am »
You also have to consider we'll have Grujic returning.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12957 on: April 26, 2018, 09:40:42 am »
We can't play all three from the start on Saturday.

Agree, Woodburn has to start.

We need players getting match fitness now so they're ready if or when called upon.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #12958 on: April 26, 2018, 09:46:55 am »
Agree, Woodburn has to start.

We need players getting match fitness now so they're ready if or when called upon.

I think an option is to play 2 of them with Woodburn in.

Then switch one for another at half time whatever the result.

Play two of front three too.

Another option is 4-2-3 (front 2) and Ings / Solanke up top

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #12959 on: April 26, 2018, 09:49:53 am »

Its a good point, well made.

On the good news side of things we would appear to have plenty of income to use on the problem. I wouldn't rule out Can changing his mind as he watches his teammates create history on the fields of Europe.

That aside, I wonder if we will sign Keita + one new number 6 type (your Jorginho, Rabiot, Ndidi option) + another young midfielder to help the group.
Would seem sensible.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias