Author Topic: The Strain is Coming!  (Read 24651 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
The Strain is Coming!
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:28:25 am »
There are early reports that FX have close to finalising a deal to air a tv show based on The Strain trilogy, written by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan!

I for one was really hoping that this would have been made into a trilogy of films, failing that it would have been great to have seen it picked up by HBO.

That for me, probably makes this the 3rd best option (given the success of a similar project in The Walking Dead and their general aversion to axing shows after a handfull of episodes), so no disaster there!

Can't wait to see this on the screen, even if it is the small one, exciting times!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/guillermo-del-toro-strain-carlton-cuse-fx-372624

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Strain is Coming!
« Reply #1 on: October 6, 2012, 03:05:47 pm »

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #2 on: October 6, 2012, 03:18:09 pm »
The Walking Dead is AMC. FX do Sons of Anarchy, which is enjoyable pulp. I've not read the books, but take it you rate them? Not sure about another vampire show, but I'll give it a go.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 6, 2012, 03:38:39 pm »
The Walking Dead is AMC. FX do Sons of Anarchy, which is enjoyable pulp. I've not read the books, but take it you rate them? Not sure about another vampire show, but I'll give it a go.

Ballz, really? Oh well, hopefully the quality already around this show and the quality of the base materials should elevate it above the usual pap!

It's not the usual vampire fare, there is no glamour or romance or fighting over some mooning, toothy lovesick cretin!

More along the lines of Dracula meets Legion! It could be epic, if handled correctly!

And most certainly the my favourite trology of books of the decade thus far!

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #4 on: October 6, 2012, 03:52:33 pm »
For a second then I thought he'd finally decided to film his own book's.Bollix. ;D

I think this is too big for the tv,this need's million of $ thrown at to be done properly imo.This would be brilliant if GDT made film's out of them instead of a tv series.

As to the book's,like Titi said the best trilogy of the decade by far.

Fom the opening with it's obvious nod to Bram Stoker to the finale it's a brilliant journey.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #5 on: October 6, 2012, 03:54:24 pm »
Is it about taking a shit?
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 6, 2012, 03:56:15 pm »
Been hoping for ages that the trilogy of books was made into a trilogy films, all directed by GDT. Think it would have been a masterpiece on the same sort of level as TLOTR!

For me though this is the next best thing, just hoping beyond hope that it turns out to be brilliant. Gutted we have to wait another year for it though!

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 6, 2012, 03:57:06 pm »
Is it about taking a shit?

This is my poo facccccceeeeeeeeee!!!!!  ;D

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The Strain is Coming!
« Reply #8 on: October 6, 2012, 04:18:55 pm »
Thought the first book was pretty lame but a tv show of it could be good I suppose
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 6, 2012, 04:37:25 pm »
Thought the first book was pretty lame but a tv show of it could be good I suppose

I understand that we are all entitled to our opinions, and if you had said that you just didn't like it I would fully respect that. To suggest that it was lame though suggests that it lacks conviction and was some how watered down, neither of which is remotely true!

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 7, 2012, 01:36:16 pm »
I understand that we are all entitled to our opinions, and if you had said that you just didn't like it I would fully respect that. To suggest that it was lame though suggests that it lacks conviction and was some how watered down, neither of which is remotely true!

I found it to be poorly written, incredibly deraritive even for the genre and the lead character left zero impression on me. I finished it and forgot all about it immediately and I have no inclination to read the sequels. 

It read like a plot outline for a film rather than actual book. That's why I think it would work better on screen
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 7, 2012, 02:02:44 pm »
I found it to be poorly written, incredibly deraritive even for the genre and the lead character left zero impression on me. I finished it and forgot all about it immediately and I have no inclination to read the sequels. 

It read like a plot outline for a film rather than actual book. That's why I think it would work better on screen

I think when you are writing about a subject with such deeply entrenched lore as vampirism then it's extremely difficult to create something, that at least on the surface, does not appear derivative. I think given the boundaries of the genre they manage to come up with a great deal of original thoughts and ideas, that for me at least, made the writing feel fresh and kept me engaged through all three books.

As for the main character, you really need to read all three books to fully apreciate his character arc. At times he can feel at bit lame, but as you read on you find he is full of conviction and ends up surprising even his greatest detractors. I also think this is why there are several other key characters in the books to focus on, whilst he's growing pair ;D

It does feel like you are reading a fleshed out story board though, which is why I agree that it's transition to the screen should be almost effortless  8)

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #12 on: October 8, 2012, 08:31:18 pm »

I have to admit, I bought the first book because I heard it was being transferred to comic book form, and because of Del Toro, but never got around to finishing the book. Don't know why, as I read a fair bit (actually reading 'Dracula' right now). Just didn't hold my attention. Perhaps it was the multiple POVs, maybe it just seemed like it took a long time for something to happen.

May have to pick it up again, as I like to bitch about how the TV show/movie isn't like the book.  :P
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 08:51:51 am »
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38037

Sean Astin Feels The Strain
He's set for Guillermo del Toro's TV drama

Once he’s finished the long tour slog promoting Pacific Rim, Guillermo del Toro will be throwing himself into directing the TV pilot based on The Strain, the novel series he co-created with Chuck Hogan. Now the man overseeing the show, Lost veteran Carlton Cuse, has announced that Sean Astin will be part of the cast.

The plot follows the books’ basic storyline, which finds a vampire virus that runs rampant through New York and beyond and the CDC doctor (Corey Stoll) who must investigate it.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Astin is set to play Jim Kent, a friend to Stoll’s Ephraim and his colleague Nora (Mia Maestro), and a political operative who often works alongside their team.

Yet he ends up causing trouble for them when some financial dodgy dealings catch up to him and he’s forced to betray his ethics.

Astin joins a cast that includes Kevin Durand, John Hurt, Lauren Lee Smith, Jonathan Hyde and Richard Sammel. The cameras will roll this September in Toronto, with all involved hoping that US network FX picks the show up to series. Pacific Rim, meanwhile, lands on July 12.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 01:30:14 pm »
http://www.thewrap.com/guillermo-del-toros-strain-gets-series-order-fx/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=guillermo-del-toros-strain-gets-series-order-fx

Production will begin this month for a July 2014 premiere

FX is catching Guillermo del Toro’s “The Strain.”

The network has given a 13-episode order to the drama from the “Pacific Rim” director, based on del Toro’s series of novels “The Strain,” “The Fall” and “The Night Eternal.”

Also read: Guillermo del Toro’s FX Pilot ‘The Strain’ Casts ‘Breaking Dawn’ Actress Mia Maestro in Starring Role

The project centers on the efforts of Centers for Disease Control employee Dr.  Ephraim Goodweather (“House of Cards” star Corey Stoll) to save New York City from a vampiric virus that’s contaminating the city, after a Boeing 777 makes a mysterious arrival at JFK. Goodweather and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism.  As the strain spreads, Eph, his team, and an assembly of everyday New Yorkers, wage war for the fate of humanity itself.

Del Toro and Chuck Hogan, who co-wrote the books,  co-wrote the pilot, with del Toro directing the pilot.

Also read: Guillermo Del Toro, Microsoft Crash Qualcomm’s CES Opening

Carlton Cuse (“Lost,” “Nash Bridges”) is executive producing and overseeing the project with del Toro, and will serve as writer and showrunner. Gary Ungar (“Gothika”) is also executive producing.

The cast also includes “Breaking Bad” actress Mia Maestro and Sean Astin.

“’The Strain’ books are near and dear to my heart and now, Chuck and I have the blessing of a partnership with Carlton and FX that holds great promise,” del Toro said of the series. “Working with FX has yielded an amazing experience with total creative freedom and support.”

“Working with visionary filmmaker Guillermo del Toro and the team at FX has been a dream come true for me,” Cuse added. “Guillermo’s epic, cinematic pilot for The Strain starts a chilling and compelling story that will upend everything you thought you knew about vampires.”

Production will begin this month for a July 2014 premiere.

Kevin Durand, Natalie Brown, Jonathan Hyde, Richard Sammel, Robert Maillet, Jack Kesy, Ben Hyland, and Miguel Gomez are also among the series’ ensemble cast.  John Hurt had also previously been cast, but his role, Professor Abraham Setrakian, is being recast.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 12:46:59 pm »
The Strain Delivers Another Ominous Teaser
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=117539
A new, spooky teaser video from "The Strain," the upcoming FX series based on the novels by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, is now online.

The series tells the story of Dr. Ephraim Goodweather (Corey Stoll), the head of the Center for Disease Control Canary Team in New York City. He and his team are called upon to investigate a mysterious viral outbreak with hallmarks of an ancient and evil strain of vampirism. As the strain spreads, Eph, his team, and an assembly of everyday New Yorkers, wage war for the fate of humanity itself.

Corey Stoll, Maestro, Sean Astin, Kevin Durand, Natalie Brown, Jonathan Hyde, Richard Sammel, Robert Maillet, Jack Kesy, Ben Hyland, and Miguel Gomez also star.

"The Strain" premieres on FX this July.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 12:50:35 pm »
Fuckin'... Sick of Vampires.

Zombies too...

I wish they'd just fuck off for a bit!
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 12:52:56 pm »
Fuckin'... Sick of Vampires.

Zombies too...

I wish they'd just fuck off for a bit!
Why? What's doing your head in laird?

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 01:07:39 pm »
Why? What's doing your head in laird?

There's just so much proliferation on TV and film it really is hard to keep up with it all. Hard to filter out the shit from the good isn't it?

I dunno, I think I'm just becoming old and bitter.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 01:26:22 pm »
There's just so much proliferation on TV and film it really is hard to keep up with it all. Hard to filter out the shit from the good isn't it?

I dunno, I think I'm just becoming old and bitter.
Nah, wrong forum for that mate!

It won't be anything like The Vampire Diaries or Twilight. I imagine it will have more of a World War Z feel to it initially with a move towards a Walking Dead vibe as the show progresses. It's most definitely going to be dark and moody, personally I can't wait!

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 02:39:03 pm »
Haven't even had a shower. ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ed9GuFN3hB0?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ed9GuFN3hB0?fs=1</a>

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 02:55:48 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_42rx8Dm6OQ?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_42rx8Dm6OQ?fs=1</a>

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2014, 04:44:31 pm »
I really hope this is successful...it's the new direction/evolution of the vampires I like the most.

After this makes $$$ hopefully someone'll turn The Passage trilogy into a film or tv series definitely three films.

Showered now. ;D

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 07:38:39 pm »
Personally I reckon it's gunna smash it! Really surprised at the lack out interest in it! Just over 6 weeks till it airs so I imagine the advertising will ramp up markedly in the coming weeks!

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 07:56:04 pm »
At the very least it'll reinstate vampires as the monsters they are..there'll not be any kissing and falling in love...just throat ripping violence...as it should be. 8)

I think that's probably the reason they weren't picked up to be films.. difficult to sell to a wide audience,maybe?What was the last film to portray vampires properly?

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 11:04:40 pm »
Personally I reckon it's gunna smash it! Really surprised at the lack out interest in it! Just over 6 weeks till it airs so I imagine the advertising will ramp up markedly in the coming weeks!

Looks like they're going with a very similar marketing campaign to what they ran for The Bridge last year, which by all accounts was pretty successful.
Justice For The 96

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2014, 01:52:37 am »
What was the last film to portray vampires properly?
Probably 30 Days of Night, which is very underrated.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 02:21:50 pm »
First episode airs this Sunday evening meaning that it should be "available" for common folk on Monday :wave

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 04:09:44 pm »
First episode airs this Sunday evening meaning that it should be "available" for common folk on Monday :wave

Is this US only?  Uk airing it?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 04:17:14 pm »
Is this US only?  Uk airing it?
UKTV’s Watch Channel Acquires UK Rights To FX’s ‘The Strain’
http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/07/uktvs-watch-channel-acquires-uk-rights-fxs-strain/

Doesn't say anything about dates though...

EDIT: Some time in thr autumn

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 04:23:03 pm »
Probably 30 Days of Night, which is very underrated.
Sorry Mac I meant to reply to this at the time..getting arl mate.

I thought it was a great little film with an idea that was original and some very good vampires...for a change.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 04:26:07 pm »
You'll be sitting up until it's been upped yer quilt. :P

In other news...Cronin's final book is released later this year...October 23.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 11:01:41 am »
IT'S HERE!!!!

Everywhere....torrent wise.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 12:33:02 pm »
IT'S HERE!!!!

Everywhere....torrent wise.
I am literally about to pop! Can't wait to get out of here and get home to see just how fucking boss this is! Reckon it's gunna be the best thing the world has ever scene on screen...ever...fact! :wave

Offline d gorgeous one haz spoken

• and said "You're ugly"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2014, 12:36:57 pm »
Ballz, really? Oh well, hopefully the quality already around this show and the quality of the base materials should elevate it above the usual pap!

Actually TWD was supposed to be on NBC, but they passed on it and it ended up on AMC. NBC now has another zombie orientated show in the works.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2014, 12:50:06 pm »
Actually TWD was supposed to be on NBC, but they passed on it and it ended up on AMC. NBC now has another zombie orientated show in the works.
IMHO IDM which network shows it. TFT GDT is at the helm means it's a winner ;)

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2014, 12:58:03 pm »
I am literally about to pop! Can't wait to get out of here and get home to see just how fucking boss this is! Reckon it's gunna be the best thing the world has ever scene on screen...ever...fact! :wave
Well..nothing like setting yerself up for disappointment. ;)

Scene the opening..looking good.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2014, 01:00:41 pm »
Well..nothing like setting yerself up for disappointment. ;)

Scene the opening..looking good.
It's literally going to be better than this....

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 05:59:27 pm »
I agree with the above poster that this genre is so over saturated that I'm completely turned off at this point by the idea of anything involving zombies/vampires. Del Toro's involvement though peaked my interest enough to give it a chance.

It's cliched ridden, ridiculous, plot hole filled nonsense but I enjoyed it loads  :D  It isn't going to win any emmys but so far it looks like good entertaining fun which understands unlike so many of the others in the genre that it doesn't need it take itself so seriously. It has some wonderful 80's gremlins type charm going on which I love.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2014, 11:29:04 pm »
Just watched it and thought it was well made and has done the book justice from the 1st episode.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."