Author Topic: Virgin Media  (Read 125852 times)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgin Media
« Reply #360 on: October 5, 2017, 12:29:40 pm »
£48 a month, so near enough 50% off.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #361 on: October 5, 2017, 08:31:57 pm »
Currently paying £81 a month as the last deal I negotiated expired. The guy at cancellations came back with the very generous offer of £85 a month if I would be willing to halve my internet speed.  :duh
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #362 on: October 6, 2017, 10:05:40 am »
I was told to do that as well, though I've realised they're charging me £48 and I'm only getting the 200 service, so they best rectify that!

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: October 6, 2017, 11:13:46 am »
I’ve binned them off, not even interested in what their cancellations team will offer in a few weeks as I’m fed up of having to ring them every 12 months to get a reasonable price. I believe the next half year  increase is £4 a month and my service won’t change at all. Gone to BT infinity for £30 and decided to cut down the tv quite a lot instead as I get BT Sport free on my phone contract now and any sky games I can stream if I’m not at the match.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: October 6, 2017, 01:17:50 pm »
BT are c*nts. They charge £18 for disconnecting their shite service even when you're not in contract.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #365 on: October 6, 2017, 02:11:34 pm »
BT are c*nts. They charge £18 for disconnecting their shite service even when you're not in contract.

The lot of them are c*nts trying to screw you at every opportunity. I’ve at least made a few quid out of moving, got a £125 card from BT and £80 through top cashback, reckon I can take the £18 disconnection charge on the chin considering that.

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #366 on: October 7, 2017, 04:31:27 pm »
What's Virgins Broadband & Phone service like is it any good ?!?

Currently paying BT around £80 a month - had a wee look at Virgin and it's coming in around £50.

Tempted to change but don't see any point if I'm likely to come running back to BT after a year

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: October 7, 2017, 04:52:15 pm »

Currently paying BT around £80 a month - had a wee look at Virgin and it's coming in around £50.

Tempted to change but don't see any point if I'm likely to come running back to BT after a year

I've only ever had Sky, Virgin and BT. Virgin is the best of the 3 in my experience. Sky was pathetic although not on Fibre. BT not much better even with Fibre. Only with BT now as Virgin isn't in my street.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: October 9, 2017, 09:44:20 am »

Virgin's broadband is much faster but if you do a lot of online gaming they do traffic shape so bear that in mind during peak times. They did offer a specific gamer package with no traffic shaping but seeing as hardly anyone knew what they meant they've stopped offering it - I don't play games online but I hated the throttling so was willing to pay a few quid more. I'm a bit annoyed at that cos it's my current contract and it's been great.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #369 on: October 9, 2017, 09:44:52 am »
Virgin's broadband is much faster but if you do a lot of online gaming they do traffic shape so bear that in mind during peak times.

What does that mean Claire?
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #370 on: October 9, 2017, 09:49:42 am »
During peak times they reduce your speed as lots of people are online.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #371 on: October 9, 2017, 10:42:00 am »

Ahh I see. The twats.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: October 9, 2017, 03:10:07 pm »
1 year ago had just Broadband for £30pm, phoned up to cancel and they offered me same Broadband, Landline and a Telly box for the same price. (I dont use the landline or telly box but why argue). Now today is a year since I got that deal so im getting them to knock off TV & phone and they want £39pm the cheeky bar stools. Gonna have to threaten to cancel I think.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: October 9, 2017, 03:16:15 pm »
1 year ago had just Broadband for £30pm, phoned up to cancel and they offered me same Broadband, Landline and a Telly box for the same price. (I dont use the landline or telly box but why argue). Now today is a year since I got that deal so im getting them to knock off TV & phone and they want £39pm the cheeky bar stools. Gonna have to threaten to cancel I think.

You may have to go through with signing up with another ISP,they will then contact Virgin and Virgin would normally contact you straight away,if they don't they give it a few days and contact them to confirm that the other ISP put it in motion.

That is when Virgin will offer you a deal that is too good to turn down (Lie about the offer that the other ISP agreed to),then if you accept Virgins offer they will inform the other ISP that you have changed your mind.

That has always worked for me,previously you only ever had to threaten to move but nowadays I have found that you need to put it all in motion.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: October 9, 2017, 03:18:47 pm »
You may have to go through with signing up with another ISP,they will then contact Virgin and Virgin would normally contact you straight away,if they don't they give it a few days and contact them to confirm that the other ISP put it in motion.

That is when Virgin will offer you a deal that is too good to turn down (Lie about the offer that the other ISP agreed to),then if you accept Virgins offer they will inform the other ISP that you have changed your mind.

That has always worked for me,previously you only ever had to threaten to move but nowadays I have found that you need to put it all in motion.
Will keep this in mind thanks. Currently 26 minutes into being on hold by Virgin. Thank god for weQ4u app!

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: October 9, 2017, 03:54:17 pm »
Quick question. If you start the process of signing up with another ISP do they contact your current one? First time ive heard of that.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: October 9, 2017, 06:07:34 pm »
Quick question. If you start the process of signing up with another ISP do they contact your current one? First time ive heard of that.

Yes or atleast they have whenever I have done it,just ask them if you need to contact Virgin yourself and they should say that they will do it on your behalf.You've nothing to lose bcause you get a cooliong off period anyway so they cannot hold you to it if/when you decide that you're staying with Virgin.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #377 on: October 9, 2017, 10:41:55 pm »

Well. Only if you've reached the usage threshold. I've had em for years and tested this.  But it's still shit...

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: October 10, 2017, 10:06:42 am »
Well. Only if you've reached the usage threshold. I've had em for years and tested this.  But it's still shit...

The gamer one has been good, and just read the 300 package doesn't do it.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: October 10, 2017, 10:08:25 am »

I doubt BT or whoever would contact virgin. I think maybe if you go from say BT to PlusNet or one of the other ones who'd need open reach to sort out the line then maybe. Virgin have their own cables.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: October 14, 2017, 07:58:48 pm »
Reading the Virgin site...traffic management only applies to those who upload excessively right?

So you can download large torrents all day in theory as long as you aren't uploading?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: October 14, 2017, 08:35:44 pm »
I don’t upload much but know they’ve slowed down my connection. Don’t use torrents.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: October 30, 2017, 02:52:18 pm »
So 12 months ago virgin offered me landline, tv box and internet for cheaper than I was paying for just internet. I literally never used the tv box or the landline once so I have taken out a new contract with them getting rid of the landline and TV. However they have contacted me saying they will be sending me out some sort of packaging so that I can send the TV box back to them? Is that not mine!?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: October 30, 2017, 04:12:10 pm »
So 12 months ago virgin offered me landline, tv box and internet for cheaper than I was paying for just internet. I literally never used the tv box or the landline once so I have taken out a new contract with them getting rid of the landline and TV. However they have contacted me saying they will be sending me out some sort of packaging so that I can send the TV box back to them? Is that not mine!?

Not sure about Virgins tos but that's the case with BT,the only time I have had to send a box or modem back has been when they've upgraded them.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: October 30, 2017, 07:43:28 pm »
Virgin have always remained owners of the equipment, always been like that.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: October 30, 2017, 08:31:33 pm »
If you can rent movies using the Virgin box just tell them that you would like to keep it for that.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: October 31, 2017, 09:33:48 am »
If you can rent movies using the Virgin box just tell them that you would like to keep it for that.
I have literally no use for it mate. Was going to sell it, thats all!

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #387 on: October 31, 2017, 06:19:41 pm »
Had a haggle with Vm last few days.

Had a one year deal 36 quid for 100mb/tv/phone for 9 months. Then it went to 55 quid for the 3 months, soon to be 60 with the new 4 quid rise; fook that.

Told them I wanted BB only 35 quid, ditch the tv and phone. You can't ditch phone only cuz its part of a bundle I was told on friday, best they could do was 51 quid for all three. Told them  i would think about it.

Called today got that down to 45 quid for 100mb BB and Med Tv deal. Never use the phone anyway. 

Haggle with them is all I am saying.  Saved 180 quid this year with two 5 minute phone calls.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Offline DHKopper

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #388 on: October 31, 2017, 11:01:06 pm »
Should've cancelled.  You'd have got it cheaper than that. 

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: January 1, 2018, 11:03:29 am »
If you cancel anything with Virgin, or just don't renew a 'contract' - they're not real contracts - always get an email, or if you can't get that, I wonder why but I don't, get a number, name, and record the call. And cancel your direct debit.
Because those c*nts will go after it. They'll wait a couple of months, then roll up to your bank, and if your direct debit has not been cancelled, they'll have it off you, whether or not you think your service has been terminated. Totally illegal, and they do it all the time. If they are ever called out on it, they claim computer automation errors. So CANCEL it.

I don't mean to sound prickish, or pricklish about this, but I cannot stand people getting stung by these horrible vile corporation crooks.

Not sure about the others, they're likely the same.
But Virgin, they will go after it.

Next time they try it on my I will work up the energy to demand my bank charge them, and I mean criminally charge the fucking robbing c*nts.

Sorry, I don't like them, but I have legitimate and, on my part honest, reasons not to.

Fuck off Richard Branson, you motherfucking NHS-suing c*nt.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2018, 11:09:42 am by idontknow »
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: January 1, 2018, 12:29:09 pm »
I don’t like Branson either, but virgin media is little to do with him beyond the name. He licensed the virgin brand in exchange for shares.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: April 7, 2018, 07:51:41 pm »
Mate has been getting free Sky Sports since yesterday. Worth checking yours as another lad I know said they randomly give it for free for 6 weeks. Said they only notify you via email that you've got it.

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #392 on: April 8, 2018, 01:03:59 pm »
I got the V6 box to replace the TiVo in my living room. There aren't too many additional features, as far as I can tell, but it's a million times faster than the box it's replacing, which I must have had for about five years.

Offline AULD-OLDIE

• Anny Roader
  • Quiza-un-dia
« Reply #393 on: April 24, 2018, 04:43:43 pm »
I got the V6 box to replace the TiVo in my living room.!!!
Can u transfer all the saved items (programmes) from the current hub (TIVO) to the new V6 box ????
Thanks in anticipation. 
Truth - 12.09.2012.
Now for JUSTICE !

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #394 on: April 24, 2018, 06:16:15 pm »
Can u transfer all the saved items (programmes) from the current hub (TIVO) to the new V6 box ????
Thanks in anticipation. 
Don't think so. You can transfer your series links though. The engineer should explain how to do that. You have to do something online, sorry can't remember what. A quick Google search should help. V6 box is so ice faster.
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #395 on: September 6, 2018, 02:01:48 pm »
Apologies if this has been answered already earlier in the thread, but does anyone know if I'm able to discuss someone's account on their behalf? My elderly father has been with Virgin for years, and his bill has increased hugely during that time (he only has their broadband and phone package, but he's paying over £70 a month).  Despite me saying that he should call them to discuss a new package or ask to leave, he's not comfortable doing so.  So I want to call them myself, but I'm not sure if they'll say they can only speak to the account holder directly (or request that I prove power of attorney etc.)

Any advice?

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: September 6, 2018, 02:05:13 pm »
Ring them, tell them you want to speak to them about his account, they’ll ask to speak to him to confirm that he’s Ok with it.

Alternatively just call them and pretend to be him.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #397 on: September 6, 2018, 02:15:20 pm »
Ring them, tell them you want to speak to them about his account, they’ll ask to speak to him to confirm that he’s Ok with it.

Alternatively just call them and pretend to be him.
Trouble is, we live 150 miles apart.  So I guess I'll have to do it when I next visit him.

Or practice my best 80 yr old man's voice, like you say  ;D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: September 6, 2018, 02:23:28 pm »
Trouble is, we live 150 miles apart.  So I guess I'll have to do it when I next visit him.

Or practice my best 80 yr old man's voice, like you say  ;D

If you can login online on the account they do live chat.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #399 on: September 6, 2018, 02:25:29 pm »
If you can login online on the account they do live chat.
Thanks.  But in my experience, they don't discuss changes to accounts or package upgrades/downgrades over live chat.  They say you have to call their customer services.