Author Topic: Bladerunner 2.  (Read 30800 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Bladerunner 2.
« Reply #200 on: October 12, 2017, 08:28:55 am »
Friend of mine, who is a mad film buff and absolutely adores anything and everything about the original, messaged me last night - "Just got around to seeing BR 2048. Just LOVED it!"

Of course, I was cruel in reply. "One year early mate - is that the prequel to the sequel?"

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #201 on: October 12, 2017, 08:38:56 am »
:D For your next reply..

"Fucking hell, I didn't even see BR 2, 3, or any of the others up to 2047!"

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #202 on: October 12, 2017, 02:44:22 pm »
I feel I need to watch it a 2nd time to truly appreciate it.

Its visuals/shots/scenes were simply stunning (made me go like "get me in there right now"), loved how it focused more on the characters, it's 3rd act not quite the wow element but the absolute correct route to follow. Its score, not as top as the 1st, but very good nonetheless.

I would say its duration maybe should have been a bit shorter, a certain interaction between characters could have been a tiny bit more contained and the character of Leto and the guy himself left me unimpressed.

Cost me that I went to the cinema with an attitude "this has to be better than the 1st or else it will be a failure". Left the cinema thinking maybe the '82 film has cast its shadow way too far but the more I think it now the more I feel it's quite a success this one. It's a loyal follower to the original film but with its own personality and the immense quality and endorsement of Denis Villeneuve. The guy is top notch.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #203 on: October 12, 2017, 08:24:15 pm »
Just came back from an IMAX screening.

Magnificent and it improves on the original. Brooding soundtrack that gave me goosebumps whenever there was a nod to Vangelis' original, stunning visuals and perfectly cast, leads and all. Had no idea how fast the 3hrs went by.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:27:25 pm by Prelude no.5 »
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: October 12, 2017, 08:40:36 pm »
Incredible film. Each scene was so vast, and yet so well-staged and sparse that at times it felt like watching a stage play. For me, that gave it an intimacy and intensity that surpassed the original. Can't wait to see it again.

Would love to see Villenueve direct an Iain M. Banks space opera.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #205 on: October 12, 2017, 10:23:57 pm »
Friend of mine, who is a mad film buff and absolutely adores anything and everything about the original, messaged me last night - "Just got around to seeing BR 2048. Just LOVED it!"

Of course, I was cruel in reply. "One year early mate - is that the prequel to the sequel?"

Well Blade Runner 2048 is actually a short produced as a part of the marketing material for the film. It's about Bautista's character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9Os8cP_gg

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: October 13, 2017, 05:09:54 pm »
Picked up Blade Runner: The Final Cut today so that's tonight's viewing sorted before this on Sunday.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2017, 09:56:56 pm »
Just finished watching it and I've got to say folks I wasn't too impressed at all and I really wanted to like it too. I can see maybe why back when it first released because of the visuals it got a lot of praise but I just wasn't enjoying it at all.

My arl fella loved it back in the day though so hopefully he enjoys this new 1 on Sunday.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2017, 09:59:16 pm »
Just finished watching it and I've got to say folks I wasn't too impressed at all and I really wanted to like it too. I can see maybe why back when it first released because of the visuals it got a lot of praise but I just wasn't enjoying it at all.

My arl fella loved it back in the day though so hopefully he enjoys this new 1 on Sunday.
I only saw it recently...  it was visually amazing... and that was just watching it in the telly
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2017, 10:10:21 pm »
I only saw it recently...  it was visually amazing... and that was just watching it in the telly

The visuals were the only positive it had going for it IMO.

It did look good for a film from the early 80's.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #210 on: October 13, 2017, 10:30:22 pm »

It is such a mood price and such a piece of work of its time......

Such atmosphere.. I do wish I could have seen it at the cinema, with the stunning visuals and incredible soundtrack it must have been incredible
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: October 14, 2017, 10:39:15 pm »
Thought it was a let down, personally. Loved the set up and the universe it created in the first act, but felt the plot didn’t stand up to the visual brilliance nor the length of the film.

Staggered that people are suggesting it is an improvement over the original.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: October 15, 2017, 01:11:20 am »

From the perspective of design rather than CG, it's probably still a completely unique film (aside from the sequel, obviously).

It's hard for me to look at Blade Runner objectively becaue I watched it 50 times for high school, but I don't remember having the most enjoyable time, necessarily. But I think it's one of those movies where overwatching it and analysing it does get you more out of it, because you think about it at a thematic level more, and don't notice the rather turgid plot so much.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: October 15, 2017, 04:11:18 pm »
Just got back from this and both me and my dad absolutely loved it.

Offline wordroam

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #214 on: October 16, 2017, 11:09:10 am »

Actually that sounds about right, that was my first impression too - and back in the day!.

I think what bugged me first time round was it’s slow pace. It was called ‘Bladerunner’. I think I kind of imagined it would be an adult all action film about androids running around stabbing each other. In the event I had to rewind it a few times because my mind kept drifting off.

But I was drawn to it. Watched it a few more times and it slowly dawned on me it was almost like a painting. Became aware of the difference between Bladerunner and a ‘plot’ driven blockbuster, here you’re almost luxuriating in an ambient  filmic space and the highly constructed visually conveyed moments the director immerses his characters in

Years later I saw a documentary on it - and my impression was of a director finally getting to indulge in his art-house dream. I think it was the last great analogue film ?

Terrible thing about watching it now for the first time is the vast catalogue of films that have copied it. Like turning up to try the original pizza and thinking meh I think I liked the one in Pizza Hut better :)

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:20:16 am by wordroam »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #215 on: October 16, 2017, 12:17:11 pm »

Years later I saw a documentary on it - and my impression was of a director finally getting to indulge in his art-house dream.

Ha. Applies for this one as well. Saw it written moments ago on another forum and completely agree. One of the reasons I absolutely love the 2049 one and couldn't give a flying fuck if it didn't go well in the US box office wise. An arthouse movie on a blockbuster budget. We were lucky to have that cause you know what the expectations and results are when there is a blockbuster budget. Thank fuck for Denis Villeneuve.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: October 16, 2017, 12:22:28 pm »
Even after sleeping on it, I honestly think this is my fave movie of not only this year but the last few years.

It really needs to be watched on a big screen.

Offline sunny_LFC

• Internet Terrorist
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: October 19, 2017, 03:07:09 am »
Even after sleeping on it, I honestly think this is my fave movie of not only this year but the last few years.

It really needs to be watched on a big screen.

This.

Gonna see it at cinema again, biggest screen I can find. Not ever watched a film twice at the cinema but this has so much to it.

This is bigger than the original and explores more at once

'Joi' from the soundtrack is stunning
Quote from: liverpoolway forum user
They lock everything on RAWK, unless it's some long winded, pretentious 'tactical' assessment or a pithy in joke from one of their mates.
"my secretary Sheila said to me that the ball had crossed the line,  that was good enough for me"

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2017, 12:04:06 am »
Finally just seen it & I'm impressed, one of the nicest looking films I've seen. Felt the time went really quick, when the credits rolled I was expecting there to be at least another 30 mins left. I was confused in parts but hopefully thats more down to me being tired than a thick bastard.

Will definitely be picking it up on blu ray on release day as its definitely a film that demands more viewings for full appreciation.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #219 on: October 22, 2017, 06:16:29 am »
Morning All,

Just watched this on an Imax screen here in Qatar… only myself in the cinema as it was a working day and the 10am showing. Don’t know where to start, absolutely incredible film. I don’t really get emotionally involved in sets, lighting and music scores but this film just blew me away. I noticed I kept looking at the whole screen, i.e. the extreme edges of the screen due to the incredible images and lighting presented… just mind blowing. The music was superb but I felt it was at times a little overpowering but well done.

The acting was excellent, even the minor roles… loved K’s first encounter, thought the guy who played that farmers role was superb. The flight scenes of the spinner passing over varied landscapes where just incredible.. so happy I watched this in the Imax.

Need to watch it again.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #220 on: October 23, 2017, 11:05:50 am »
Spoilers about a certain scene that you definitely wondered hot it got done in such an impressive manner.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #221 on: October 23, 2017, 12:18:23 pm »
Yes, that was some cinematography. And location scouting. And lighting. And music.

Romantic in a different sense to the original (loved the endless rain reflected in neon lights coupled with Deckard's love story). The general message that you're not as important as you might think I quite liked. Found it really original coming from Hollywood.

My favorite scenes were probably the one's with his hologram girlfriend. A great exploration of loneliness and virtuality.

Difficult task to live up to the original, I found it almost as good dealing with the human condition juxtaposed to that what is not quite human.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline wordroam

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #222 on: October 25, 2017, 11:24:27 am »

So having read reviews and comments, I’m starting to wonder if I’ve completely misread the film.

Maybe a humungus spoiler below. As in even if you’ve been out to see the film. But it would be very frustrating if there is nobody to chat to about it.

Spoiler
I thought there was a twist in the last 10 seconds or so of the film.

Deckards daughter has a projection of what at first we are meant to assume is the snow outside. With her back to Deckard she says something like ‘beautiful isn’t it ?’

As Joe lies down perhaps to die he wonders at the snow falling on his hand - an echo of Joi experiencing rain. The ‘lost like tears in rain’ music appears.

Earlier Deckards daughter says the details of memory are less important than the emotion. Oddly then, when we meet her she is fiddling with the antennae and the eyes of an insect through a magnified lens.

So...to cut a long story short, does the whole film actually take place in a virtual reality which Deckards ‘daughter’ is curating ?

[close]

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: November 2, 2017, 10:27:39 am »
Went to see it yesterday and was surprised to see a half full showing at 5pm ...decent crowd I thought but the silence and general flat feeling in the audience when the credit rolled basically summed up my feelings too. Loved the original so probably unfair on 2 to try and follow it but when someone yawned next to me just raised a laugh as it was badly needed knowing there was another hour to go. Will try and watch it again when it comes out on video ;) but feel like this one has joined the band of movies that should never have had a sequel.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #224 on: November 4, 2017, 03:53:36 pm »
when someone yawned next to me just raised a laugh as it was badly needed knowing there was another hour to go.

I don't feel that sums up the movie itself, but the modern world in general. No-one has any attention span any more, with fast information available, quick clips world we live in, so everyone gets bored if a movie is slow paced. The movie for me, was fantastic. I just think in this day and age, and quite sadly, nobody can be bothered to sit down and concentrate for 3 hours on a brilliant piece of entertainment in favour of quick internet clips and information that can be digested in 5 minutes before they move onto the next bit. (especially kids)

I heard someone say it was one of the worst things he's seen, which, even if you didn't like it, is a ludicrous statement to make. It's well crafted, well written and well acted. I can understand the love hate thing that the original had, and this one, but I can't understand people saying it's a bad movie.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 4, 2017, 10:40:56 pm »
I don't feel that sums up the movie itself, but the modern world in general. No-one has any attention span any more, with fast information available, quick clips world we live in, so everyone gets bored if a movie is slow paced. The movie for me, was fantastic. I just think in this day and age, and quite sadly, nobody can be bothered to sit down and concentrate for 3 hours on a brilliant piece of entertainment in favour of quick internet clips and information that can be digested in 5 minutes before they move onto the next bit. (especially kids)

I heard someone say it was one of the worst things he's seen, which, even if you didn't like it, is a ludicrous statement to make. It's well crafted, well written and well acted. I can understand the love hate thing that the original had, and this one, but I can't understand people saying it's a bad movie.

I was captivated by the film.  The cinematography was beautiful and the slow burn helped me enjoy the visual and aural displays.  But I did notice that younger members of the audience were getting distracted and checking their phones.  For me though, when the credits rolled, I checked the time because I only thought ~90 mins had passed.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 5, 2017, 12:19:01 pm »
I was captivated by the film.  The cinematography was beautiful and the slow burn helped me enjoy the visual and aural displays.  But I did notice that younger members of the audience were getting distracted and checking their phones.  For me though, when the credits rolled, I checked the time because I only thought ~90 mins had passed.

Yeah. I didn't think it felt that long when I was watching in the cinema
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 5, 2017, 07:36:07 pm »

Looking around the audience before the lights went down I definitely noticed a slightly older crowd than you would normally get at the cinema. Basically 95% were in their 30s / 40s and knew what they were sitting down for....a 3 hour movie and more than likely fans of the original. So I totally disagree on the quick clip reference as your average Bladerunner 2 attendee was probably 30 before YouTube even was created. Look its a very decent movie with some stunning visual effects but the storyline ...not sure I can go into details here in fear spoiling it for others but anyway it was a little mehhh and the reaction of the 50 or so peeps there pretty much summed that feeling too.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2017, 07:38:28 pm by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #228 on: November 8, 2017, 12:37:57 pm »
Just got back from this, absolutely stunning. I’m finding it all a little hard to process, but what an incredible film.

Good to see that Elvis hasn’t left the building after all..
We are Liverpool!

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #229 on: November 8, 2017, 01:11:40 pm »
Looking around the audience before the lights went down I definitely noticed a slightly older crowd than you would normally get at the cinema. Basically 95% were in their 30s / 40s and knew what they were sitting down for....a 3 hour movie and more than likely fans of the original. So I totally disagree on the quick clip reference as your average Bladerunner 2 attendee was probably 30 before YouTube even was created.

No, I was saying, and you proved my point basically, is that younger people won't sit through it.

BTW, If anyone is interested in movie prints, art prints and suchlike, I've recently added a Blade Runner 2049 print to my online shop on Society 6, link here (as well as many more in my shop!  ;) as designed by me.

https://society6.com/hoolart/prints
« Last Edit: November 8, 2017, 01:15:39 pm by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: November 8, 2017, 03:09:58 pm »
No, I was saying, and you proved my point basically, is that younger people won't sit through it.

BTW, If anyone is interested in movie prints, art prints and suchlike, I've recently added a Blade Runner 2049 print to my online shop on Society 6, link here (as well as many more in my shop!  ;) as designed by me.

https://society6.com/hoolart/prints

Well younger peeps may struggle a bit with reading a book or watching a 3 hour movie but you did say in bold

No one and everyone is a little more than just young ones ;) I do still think everyone including the young uns will watch a great movie even if its 3 hours long. Ok you may need a few car chases and explosions but that was the same for me when I was 20. I still remember people going on about The English Patient as one of the best movies that year and christ it was like dying a slow death watching it at the time lol. Anyway back on point the young peeps may not be watching Bladerunner but those that were with me last week, young and old, left the theater pretty flat afterwards. I think thats the general consensus unfortunately which is such a pity. Harrison should stay away from any more sequels as everyone he has been in lately ranging from Indiana Jones to this has fallen short of the originals but the man does love a big pay cheque :)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #231 on: November 18, 2017, 08:07:46 am »
Watched it last night and loved the visuals but the story made no sense for me.  Sadly (for me) it is infected by the metaphysical bullshit that Scott added to the original (unicorns and the 'is he/isn't he' stuff) and which made Prometheus so laughable.

Scott made two of my favourite, and two of the greatest sci-if movies of all time. He's also made some of the most long-winded nonsense.
Spoiler
Villanueve's visually stunning epic is based on a scientifically illiterate, almost medieval concept of how babies are actually conceived and born. In the first movie, did no one notice that Rachel had ovaries and was having periods?  Why the Caesarian? If she didn't have the right parts to have a live birth how did they conceive in the first place?

It was weirdly pro-life to make such a big thing out of conception and birth and it was agresssively anti-science to assume that in a world where they are genetically creating entire humans, it's impossible to activate genes that switch on reproduction. 

And the holographic girlfriend thing was fun but further watered down the original Phillip K Dick idea about what it is to be human. The whole 'hi honey I'm home' sequence and a hologram fucking a Robot basically says that anything can be 'human' in which case, what's the film actually about?

Sorry all, seems like I'm really down on it (and I am to some extent) but I found it fundamentally I satisfying as a story.  Why did he die at the end? Another quasi-religious moment that was all about human sacrifice (and a bit too close to the end of Drive for me) when it's not the actual dying that makes you human, it's the willingness to put your life on the line.

Sorry - not a patch on (one of the) originals. I'll watch it again when it's released online and hopefully it will make more sense.

And it was far too loud. Bits of the cinema were rattling which kind of broke the spell. 
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 21, 2017, 11:18:12 pm »
Watched it earlier in what was probably the last showing in any cinema within reach, so, yeah, left that one late, but better late than never.

I'm so glad I got to see this because it felt like watching something rare, which big budget sci-fi - outside of the likes of Transformers and Star Wars - is. This is an art house type film compared to the other pop culture shite that flood the cinemas in droves, and makes a fortune in profit. Even if you can't appreciate the story, you can still take away the fact that it's one of the most visually stunning films that's ever been made. If the first one was still a benchmark for the atmosphere and world it built, this has surpassed it. It's also a benchmark of how a sequel to a cult classic should be done, and arguably the best sequel to a film ever.

The film is still a bit too fresh in the mind for me, and will probably take another viewing for it to fully bed in and form any kind of proper assessment of what I really think of it, but then again, only really exceptional films tend to do that.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #233 on: November 22, 2017, 10:49:07 am »
I can picture the studios execs fuming ( "we need more pew pew") and being apprehended of a similar endeavor in the future because it din't go as well as expected in the box office. They can fuck off. I couldn't care less and thank Robbie it was given to Villeneuve who gave us that pearl. God forbid we see some focus on the characters and sci-fi concepts instead of some turdy, generic storyline.

An art house film on a big budget with that director is the perfect combination.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 22, 2017, 12:32:53 pm »
Watched it earlier in what was probably the last showing in any cinema within reach, so, yeah, left that one late, but better late than never.

I'm so glad I got to see this because it felt like watching something rare, which big budget sci-fi - outside of the likes of Transformers and Star Wars - is. This is an art house type film compared to the other pop culture shite that flood the cinemas in droves, and makes a fortune in profit. Even if you can't appreciate the story, you can still take away the fact that it's one of the most visually stunning films that's ever been made. If the first one was still a benchmark for the atmosphere and world it built, this has surpassed it. It's also a benchmark of how a sequel to a cult classic should be done, and arguably the best sequel to a film ever.

The film is still a bit too fresh in the mind for me, and will probably take another viewing for it to fully bed in and form any kind of proper assessment of what I really think of it, but then again, only really exceptional films tend to do that.

Exactly how I feel mate, I feel it is a modern masterpiece.

Gutted it hasn't broke even and all the other shite like Transformers smash the box office.

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #235 on: November 22, 2017, 12:35:53 pm »
An art house film on a big budget with that director is the perfect combination.

I agree, but it has to do reasonably well so we can see more of it.

People on this thread saying they don't care if the film bombed at the box office or not, I don't understand that. First of all the film is deserving of great success, secondly it hurts future projects.

I think luckily we have Arrival which is did good numbers despite essentially being a film about some woman learning a language from a shadow ;D
:D

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 22, 2017, 12:38:47 pm »
I agree, but it has to do reasonably well so we can see more of it.

People on this thread saying they don't care if the film bombed at the box office or not, I don't understand that. First of all the film is deserving of great success, secondly it hurts future projects.

I think luckily we have Arrival which is did good numbers despite essentially being a film about some woman learning a language from a shadow ;D

Box office numbers don't matter as much for directors like Villeneuve, though.

He's an HBO type director. The prestige is worth more than sheer ratings.

They didn't give him the Dune remake because he makes it rain.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #237 on: November 22, 2017, 01:22:34 pm »
Gutted it hasn't broke even and all the other shite like Transformers smash the box office.

But it has according to the Box Office. As of now it made $252m worldwide against a budget of $150m.

And what Macphisto said there, I wholeheartedly agree. I was in awe during the movie, had no idea how the three hours went by and it kept my thoughts entertained for the next week and a half.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: November 22, 2017, 01:25:33 pm »
But it has according to the Box Office. As of now it made $252m worldwide against a budget of $150m.

And what Macphisto said there, I wholeheartedly agree. I was in awe during the movie, had no idea how the three hours went by and it kept my thoughts entertained for the next week and a half.

Is right, last time I checked it was struggling to break even so I’m happy with that.

Hopefully the blu-ray releases and word of mouth will boost the revenue too.

[You may have an iPhone but you are still using the free version of Tapatalk and spamming us with that knowledge]

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #239 on: November 22, 2017, 01:26:33 pm »

Need to multiply the production budget by 2 to cover marketing for the film.
:D