Author Topic: Pro Cycling 2023  (Read 1463689 times)

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Vuelta a Espaņa 2017.
« Reply #28440 on: August 19, 2017, 07:55:14 pm »
I was thinking there might be a few young, new riders in there that fancy their chances in a sprint. But I wouldn't know who they are.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #28441 on: August 19, 2017, 08:01:53 pm »
The two young riders to watch at this edition will be Enric Mas and Marc Soler. Future GT winners these lads. Apart from those...I'm made up Manzana Postabon are here...best kit in pro cycling.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #28442 on: August 19, 2017, 08:28:14 pm »
You just think Pantani when you see a pink kit like that, don't you. Makes you smile.
For me it's always ONCE. They're the pro jerseys I have. For the TDF ONCE used to swap the yellow background colour of their team jersey to pink, as you know.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28443 on: August 19, 2017, 09:22:20 pm »
Today's stage...if anyone wants to watch a bit of TTT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxleS1AOPVY

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jxleS1AOPVY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jxleS1AOPVY</a>

Everyone else can just look at the results:
Spoiler
1   BMC Racing Team   0:15:58   
2   Quick-Step Floors   0:00:06   
3   Team Sunweb       
4   Team Sky   0:00:09   
5   Orica-Scott   0:00:17   
6   Bora-Hansgrohe   0:00:21   
7   Lotto-Soudal   0:00:24   
8   Movistar       
9   Bahrain-Merida   0:00:31   
10   Katusha-Alpecin   0:00:33   
11   Trek-Segafredo   0:00:35   
12   FDJ   0:00:38   
13   Aqua Blue Sport       
14   Dimension Data   0:00:39   
15   LottoNL-Jumbo   0:00:40   
16   Astana   0:00:41   
17   Cannondale-Drapac   0:00:46   
18   AG2R La Mondiale       
19   UAE Team Emirates   6:29:02   
20   Manzana Postobon   0:00:53   
21   Caja Rural-Seguros RGA   0:00:56   
22   Cofidis   0:00:57
[close]
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28444 on: August 19, 2017, 09:30:44 pm »
Stage 2 of the Vuelta a Espana

A flat stage with little of note. Usually this would be a sprinter's stage, but as discussed above, there aren't that many sprinters here.

IIRC,there's not a lot of sprinting talent here either..Degenkolb, if not he from the team, then Theuns.  Modolo, Cort Nielsen, Trentin....they're the only riders I can recall from my quick glance at the start list.

The only thing that could make this interesting is the weather....the forecast is for a mixture of sunshine and clouds, no rain....and a northerly wind with up to 18 mph. From the map that makes it mostly a cross-tail wind, but for a few of the later sections it turns into a straight cross wind. If there are teams inclined to make something out of this stage, this is where it will happen....please ;D

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28445 on: August 19, 2017, 11:29:15 pm »
Has anyone ever been to Spain to watch it?  I was in Northern Spain recently and drove on some of the roads they will be racing on.   Stunning area!   Would love to go next year.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #28446 on: August 20, 2017, 03:23:41 pm »
Grote Prijs Jef Scherens.

Live here.

http://sebn.sc/sebn-5.php

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28447 on: August 20, 2017, 06:26:57 pm »
Also today:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KoxwKWqLXtU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KoxwKWqLXtU</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoxwKWqLXtU

Without having watched it....you're likely safe to just watch just the last km...from 28 mins in.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:09:49 pm by redbyrdz »

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28448 on: August 20, 2017, 06:28:32 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WzHD-BBBv6A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WzHD-BBBv6A</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzHD-BBBv6A

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28449 on: August 20, 2017, 06:52:56 pm »
The Vuelta finish is excellent tactically.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28450 on: August 20, 2017, 07:21:09 pm »
That was brilliant.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28451 on: August 20, 2017, 09:57:45 pm »
Vuelta a Espana stage 3

A mountain stage. We're done with messing around. ;D

As you can see, this is all climbing and descending, a tough day. The first climb is the Col de Perche, a fairly steady 5% climb - over nearly 20km. This is followed by about 70km of descending, before it ramps up a little for 10 miles and then hits the second cat 1 climb, the Coll de la Rabassa. This ramps up at nearly 10% for 4 km, before easing off to 7%, then 6%, then 5%. The descend is steep and full of hairpins. Following that there is a small cat 2 climb - 4km at 8% ;D - and a 7km descend to the line (the last km before the line is actually flat). This is another technical descent with hairpins down to 3km to go, and then a couple of roundabouts and two 90 degree turns to the finish.

Because its so early in the race, I do fancy the break to take the day - I can't imagine any of the GC contenders will want to let a rival go, and the teams are still fresh and at strength. That said, I'd love to see Nibali go for it with the way the finish looks.

Contenders...climbers who are allowed into the break. I've just read this and he says...Atapuma, De Gendt, Fraile, Domont, Monfort, Polanc, Navarro, LL Sanchez. Yeah. Why not one of them?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #28452 on: August 20, 2017, 10:30:01 pm »
What kind of a preview leaves out Sandro? No Sandro no party. To him I'd add....Alaphillipe, Dennis, Geniez, Visconti, Roche, Costa.

Offline The_Cutter

• It must be Summer the TdF is on and The Cutter appears!
  • Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #28453 on: August 21, 2017, 04:28:07 pm »
Is the result discussion moratorium active?

Spoiler
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiibbles! That was a mugging!  ;D

He cracked on the climb again though, but got back and won it like an old fox! Those 30'' bonks in the first two weeks ultimately cost him the Giro, he needs to sort that out.
[close]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:31:09 pm by The_Cutter »
"A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end . . . but not necessarily in that order." Jean-Luc Godard

'I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.'

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28454 on: August 21, 2017, 05:30:03 pm »
Yes. Thanks!

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28455 on: August 21, 2017, 08:25:32 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NJHpGCRjJIw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NJHpGCRjJIw</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJHpGCRjJIw

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28456 on: August 21, 2017, 09:16:04 pm »
Is the result discussion moratorium active?

Spoiler
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiibbles! That was a mugging!  ;D

He cracked on the climb again though, but got back and won it like an old fox! Those 30'' bonks in the first two weeks ultimately cost him the Giro, he needs to sort that out.
[close]

Spoiler
His descending saved him, he got right back to the front. And yep, great awareness to spot when the others weren't looking and enough left to see it out.

How ugly was Froome's attack? He should be banned from racing on style alone.
[close]

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #28457 on: August 21, 2017, 09:30:37 pm »
Ta. I'll watch this when I get back.

No need for a preview for the next two stages....have a rest, you must be tuckered out. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28458 on: August 21, 2017, 09:41:14 pm »
Ta. I'll watch this when I get back.

No need for a preview for the next two stages....have a rest, you must be tuckered out. ;D

I was just looking at tomorrow's. Sprint stage, technical finsh. Trentin. That'll do. ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #28459 on: August 21, 2017, 09:49:47 pm »
I was just looking at tomorrow's. Sprint stage, technical finsh. Trentin. That'll do. ;D
The stage is not too far from where we're staying....

I would like to see a win for Blythe.

Offline The_Cutter

• Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #28460 on: August 21, 2017, 09:50:30 pm »

Just force him on a bike, he can't be as useless as the rest of the BM guys! Heck, Vinnie got his brother riding a GT just for the hell of it.

Anyway, it's late, past 9 o'clock even, you come in 'ere you get spoilers!

Spoiler
He got also lucky that he found himself in a group with 2 BMC guys fancying their chances for a stage and/or the red jersey. He wouldn't have caught up alone. He plays it safe nowadays and thus Bardet, Aru and Froome all descend as fast as Nibbles.

Meh, I'm alright with Froome, he can come in second behind Nibs. :) Froome animated the race today, in stage 3 of the Vuelta no less. He's no Landa(ni) on bike for sure, but he's the one mainly responsible for the last 10km being a great race.

This could be a very intriguing race. Those coming of the TDF looked stronger today, but the Giro guys should gradually improve and have the advantage in the 3rd week. In theory. It's pro cycling, so who knows.  ;D

Also, kinda sad seeing Contador just give up in his last GT. Loosing almost 3' on a stage like this? Ouch.
[close]
"A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end . . . but not necessarily in that order." Jean-Luc Godard

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28461 on: August 21, 2017, 11:43:44 pm »
Spoiler

Was wondering if Contador decided, after realising that he wouldn't get back, if I'm going to lose time, I'll lose enough to be able to go away and target a stage win later on.

Agree its a bit sad, but at least it put the fairytale ending away quickly.

[close]

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #28462 on: August 22, 2017, 09:54:36 am »
That was great. A sprinter/classics rider is now a legit climber as well as an unrepentant racist...now you know why his team didn't discipline him. The UCI did tho, oh no, that was Boom who was punished for making an obscene gesture. Swear and you're fined...use racist language towards another rider and if you ride on the right team you get a pass. About right.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28463 on: August 22, 2017, 10:10:31 am »
That was great. A sprinter/classics rider is now a legit climber as well as an unrepentant racist...now you know why his team didn't discipline him. The UCI did tho, oh no, that was Boom who was punished for making an obscene gesture. Swear and you're fined...use racist language towards another rider and if you ride on the right team you get a pass. About right.

Boom didn't even swear. You've lost me with the other rider though, who?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #28464 on: August 22, 2017, 11:11:25 am »
Boom didn't even swear. You've lost me with the other rider though, who?
Moscon...the c*nt!!

Did you not see Froome telling him to ease off on the climb after Rosa peeled off? Fuckin risible...imagine Gaviria doing that....

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28465 on: August 22, 2017, 11:29:26 am »
Moscon...the c*nt!!

Did you not see Froome telling him to ease off on the climb after Rosa peeled off? Fuckin risible...imagine Gaviria doing that....

I was thinking you meant Moscon, but I didn't see him, thats why I was confused. To be honest I had it on in the background, only really watched the finish. I saw Froome attack on the climb, that put me off watching more closely ;D   He seemed to have run out of power at the finish...couldn't get back back to Nibali.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #28466 on: August 22, 2017, 01:38:17 pm »
I was thinking you meant Moscon, but I didn't see him, thats why I was confused. To be honest I had it on in the background, only really watched the finish. I saw Froome attack on the climb, that put me off watching more closely ;D   He seemed to have run out of power at the finish...couldn't get back back to Nibali.
Maybe the battery in his motor didn't have sufficient power for another attack.

As to Moscon...in the moment that we're living in with racist attacks on the rise, ditto right wing groups, for Moscon to escape any punishment whatsoever is beyond explanation. Do as he did in your work place and you're out the door. He should have been pulled from the race by his team and sacked. The UCI should have banned him as an example as to what would happen in the future if any other rider did their same as Moscon.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28467 on: August 22, 2017, 02:11:11 pm »
As to Moscon...in the moment that we're living in with racist attacks on the rise, ditto right wing groups, for Moscon to escape any punishment whatsoever is beyond explanation. Do as he did in your work place and you're out the door. He should have been pulled from the race by his team and sacked. The UCI should have banned him as an example as to what would happen in the future if any other rider did their same as Moscon.

Yes but...are you surprised? Its exactly because of the times we're living in that he gets away with it. After years of progress, there's a noticeable decline now, where racism, sexism, homophobia are on the rise again. I mean, why would a young lad like Moscon even know racist slurs? Hasn't language changed enough that it'd feel odd to use words like that?

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28468 on: August 22, 2017, 09:25:57 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bkRg3m69N2w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bkRg3m69N2w</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkRg3m69N2w

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28469 on: August 22, 2017, 09:26:51 pm »
Spoiler

;D ;D ;D

[close]

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28470 on: August 22, 2017, 10:07:33 pm »
Vuelta a Espana stage 5

A lumpy stage, which might favour the break. However there seem to be less and less days where the break is allowed away, so maybe not. There's a series of cat 3 and cat 2 climbs to tire the rider out, but this is all about the climb to the finish. At under 4 km, it's not very long, but the average is close to 10%, and hidden in that is apparently a 20% ramp. That is probably enough for the peloton to catch the last remaining riders of the break, before a GC contender starts attacking on one of the ramps.

On yesterday's stage, the two strongest riders seemed to be Chaves and Froome....lets hope its the former who takes this.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28471 on: August 23, 2017, 11:57:31 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3t4j-qiRnCE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3t4j-qiRnCE</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t4j-qiRnCE

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28472 on: August 24, 2017, 08:31:02 am »
Vuelta a Espana stage 6

Looks like another stage for the break to me...
Four easy and one harder climb, followed by a flat finish.
Alto de Alcudia de Veo 11km at 3.4% cat 3
Puerto de Eslida 5.3km at 5.4% cat 3
Alto de Chirivilla 7.9km at 4.2% cat 3
Puerto del Orenet 6.4km at 4% cat 3
Puerto del Garbi 9.3km at 5.1% - steeper in the middle section

Who's going to win it...someone strong enough to get over the climbs in the break and fast enough to win a sprint. And probably not the same riders who got into the break today.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28473 on: August 24, 2017, 08:05:51 pm »
No decent vid yet, so here's the official highlights

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a4bfgbR9VM4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a4bfgbR9VM4</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4bfgbR9VM4

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28474 on: August 25, 2017, 10:00:57 pm »
Link here for the last 23km of the Vuelta stage 7.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28475 on: August 25, 2017, 10:47:43 pm »
 Vuelta a Espaņa stage 8

This will be a GC day, due to the Xorret de Cati climb at the end, with an average of over 10% and one section of about 18%

This has a nice steep descent after it too, before a flatish run in the last km.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:49:40 pm by redbyrdz »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #28476 on: August 26, 2017, 02:20:58 pm »
Jules. :wave

Thanks for the previews and links.

Offline The_Cutter

• Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #28477 on: August 26, 2017, 02:22:21 pm »
I can tolerate a 10-15'' time loss for Nibbles today, but being nearly a minute down after the first week and before the TT is far from ideal.

Fireworks will happen in the last 3km of the climb.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28478 on: August 26, 2017, 07:06:47 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/OOhknj-PCug" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/OOhknj-PCug</a>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOhknj-PCug

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28479 on: August 26, 2017, 08:32:06 pm »
Jules. :wave

Thanks for the previews and links.

You're welcome....you're missed too, my previews are rubbish ;D