Author Topic: Vatican letter told Ireland's Catholic bishops not to report child abuse  (Read 84133 times)

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Re: Vatican letter told Ireland's Catholic bishops not to report child abuse
« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2015, 03:04:46 pm »
Records reveal Minnesota priests raped hundreds of kids for decades — and church buried the evidence

DAVID FERGUSON
25 NOV 2015

Personnel records made public on Tuesday revealed that Catholic priests at St. John’s Abbey in Collegeville, Minnesota engaged in a sustained and coordinated campaign of child rape, which they took pains to keep secret from the public for decades.

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, a court case brought by one of the priests’ former victims has resulted in a judge’s order for the monastery to release records on all priests and monks credibly accused of child abuse.

The documents released regarding five abusive priests on Tuesday mark the first time the monastery has opened its records to the public after being embroiled in abuse lawsuits for more than 20 years. The files include psychiatric assessments of the five men, records of abuse allegations and the abbey’s responses dating back from the 1960s to the last few years, including records of one priest who molested more than 200 victims, all boys, from the sons of parishioners to child prostitutes as young as 13 in Thailand.

Rev. Finian McDonald confessed in a 2012 psychiatric session that he molested more than 200 boys, 18 of whom were children under his care in the dormitories of St. John’s Preparatory School, the private boys’ school run by the monks. McDonald admitted that he drank heavily and freely preyed on students during his years as a dormitory prefect.

The abbey released a written statement in an effort to minimize the damning reports.

“There are documents in each file which may be quoted and framed in a lurid context,” wrote Brother Aelred Senna. “But the huge majority of the documents in each of these files acknowledges the very real failures of some monks while showing each of the accused monks as a fallible, relatable person.”

Senna alleges that the abbey made no attempt to cover up abuse allegations when they were brought to church leaders’ attention.

However, Victim Troy Bramlage’s attorney Jeff Anderson said in a press conference on Tuesday that the documents show a clear pattern of systematic abuse with no serious efforts made to protect the children in the monks’ care.

“So many offenders were allowed access to so many kids for so many years,” Anderson said. “This reflects to us…that there are dozens and hundreds of survivors that are yet to be known.”

Four other predator priests were profiled in the documents: Rev. Tom Gillespie, former priest Fran Hoefgen, the Rev. Bruce Wollmering and the Rev. Richard Eckroth. Wollmering and Eckroth, said the Star-Tribune, are deceased.

Hoefgen was acquitted of sexually harassing a teen boy earlier this year, but the newly released records show that he exhibited a pattern of predatory behavior toward boys, beginning in the 1980s and continuing through the next two decades.

Rather than alert authorities and dismiss Hoefgen, however, he abbey presented him with $30,000 to help him “transition out of the priesthood.”

The documents show that the abbey moved priests from parish to parish when abuse allegations where levied against them, covering up the problem and keeping secrets within their own ranks. There are 14 more priests associated with the abbey whose records have yet to be produced.

Troy Bramlage, the St. Cloud abuse survivor whose lawsuit spurred the release of the documents told reporters that he hopes more victims will come forward as the priests’ records go public.

“People need to know they don’t have to suffer alone,” he said.

source

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2016, 10:50:48 am »
Catholic bishops not obliged to report clerical child abuse, Vatican says

Stephanie Kirchgaessner in Rome
Wednesday 10 February 2016

The Catholic church is telling newly appointed bishops that it is “not necessarily” their duty to report accusations of clerical child abuse and that only victims or their families should make the decision to report abuse to police.

A document that spells out how senior clergy members ought to deal with allegations of abuse, which was recently released by the Vatican, emphasised that, though they must be aware of local laws, bishops’ only duty was to address such allegations internally.

“According to the state of civil laws of each country where reporting is obligatory, it is not necessarily the duty of the bishop to report suspects to authorities, the police or state prosecutors in the moment when they are made aware of crimes or sinful deeds,” the training document states.

The training guidelines were written by a controversial French monsignor and psychotherapist, Tony Anatrella, who serves as a consultant to the Pontifical Council for the Family. The Vatican released the guidelines – which are part of a broader training programme for newly named bishops – at a press conference earlier this month and is now seeking feedback.

Details of the Catholic church’s policy were first reported in a column by a veteran Vatican journalist, John Allen, associate editor of the Catholic news site, Cruxnow.com.

Allen noted that a special commission created by Pope Francis, the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors, had appeared to play no role in the training programme, even though it is supposed to be developing “best practices” to prevent and deal with clerical abuse.

Indeed, a church official familiar with the commission on abuse said it was the committee’s position that reporting abuse to civil authorities was a “moral obligation, whether the civil law requires it or not”. The official said the committee would be involved in future training efforts.

The current guidelines written by Anatrella make only passing references to prevention policies. The French monsignor is best known for championing views on “gender theory”, the controversial belief that increasing acceptance of homosexuality in western countries is creating “serious problems” for children who are being exposed to “radical notions of sexual orientation”. He did not return a request for comment.

The guidelines reflect Anatrella’s views on homosexuality. They also downplay the seriousness of the Catholic church’s legacy of systemic child abuse, which some victims’ right groups say continues to be a problem today.

Full article

Having recently watched Spotlight, I should be jaded but I still can't believe these fuckers.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2016, 12:50:36 pm »
Just when you thought there was progress being made...

Of course they should report it.  Always, and without fail.

If families also report it then so be it.

Any other institution would realise that it is their statutory duty to do so.

WHY are they any different?  There is NO reason why not.
This will be the excuse that lets off the next round of abusers. I can see it now "I would have reported it, but the family asked me not too"

Shame on the church for this.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2016, 12:59:28 pm »
It still amazes me how anyone can look at the actions of the church in matters like these and gives them any credence at all as a moral authority in their lives, but somehow they still do....

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2016, 01:00:41 pm »
It still amazes me how anyone can look at the actions of the church in matters like these and gives them any credence at all as a moral authority in their lives, but somehow they still do....

It amazes me that people think the current Pope is any different to his predecessors.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2016, 03:36:19 pm »
It amazes me that people think the current Pope is any different to his predecessors.
He washes the feet of homeless people. What more could you possibly want?!?!

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2016, 03:49:53 pm »
Any decent human being is obliged to report child abuse, it's such a no brainier if you have a single moral bone in your body. How the fuck could any good person sleep at night knowing they did nothing to help a child who was abbused?

That issue falls into a sort of grey area for the Catholic Church yet they can be absolutely certain about not using contraception and discriminating against people who don't fit their narrow parameters of what it is to be a person.

As far as I'm concerned anyone of sound mind and body who is a member of that organisation is morally corrupt and a force for evil. 

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2016, 04:12:06 pm »
Any decent human being is obliged to report act on the knowledge of a child being abused.
If it was a family member or a very close friend's child that this was happening to, I'd certainly act on it, not sure that I'd be reporting it to anyone though.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2016, 04:36:44 pm »
If it was a family member or a very close friend's child that this was happening to, I'd certainly act on it, not sure that I'd be reporting it to anyone though.
Not sure have I got this right, are you saying if you knew a child who was being abused and not in your close circle you wouldn't do anything about it, not even arise the suspicions of the police?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2016, 04:38:03 pm »
Not sure have I got this right, are you saying if you knew a child who was being abused and not in your close circle you wouldn't do anything about it, not even arise the suspicions of the police?
No he's saying he would go deal with it personally.

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #210 on: February 11, 2016, 04:38:28 pm »

I think he meant he'd "sort it himself".

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #211 on: February 11, 2016, 04:39:56 pm »
No he's saying he would go deal with it personally.
I think he meant he'd "sort it himself".
Ah, that makes more sense. For a moment there I thought Titi was a priest!

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #212 on: February 11, 2016, 08:29:58 pm »
That issue falls into a sort of grey area for the Catholic Church yet they can be absolutely certain about not using contraception and discriminating against people who don't fit their narrow parameters of what it is to be a person.

The horrific thing is that the Catholic Church aren't the only religion doing this. Jehovah's Witnesses have been operating the same policy which the Catholic Church thinks is a good idea. They're currently fighting to try and stop a Charity Commission investigation into what they've been up to here in Britain, have been hammered by the Aussie Royal Commission, I know survivors have already been called to the British commission into child abuse, and they are fighting yet more legal challenges in the US against their obligation to report. They also have the cheek to say the survivors who take them to court are all liars. Nice people running that shambles of a religion.

I do genuinely believe that there are some crimes where one would expect a man (as it is in these religions) of conscience to ensure an innocent victim is not in any harm. And if that needs to be legally spelled out in black and white, then we probably should be doing that and looking at how exemptions to mandated reporting can be better tailored to even the bare minimum of making sure pedophiles do not continue to harm children and teens.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #213 on: February 11, 2016, 08:43:31 pm »
Ah but one of the problems must be confession....

They confess to raping kids and its therefore a secret....

What an utter disgrace that this deplorable shitty excuse can still be used.

Shame on the church, shame on them
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #214 on: February 15, 2016, 11:53:06 am »
Sex assault: Vatican pardons TN priest convicted of rape

W DELHI: The Roman Catholic church has lifted the suspension of a Tamil Nadu priest convicted last year of sexually assaulting a 14 year-old girl in the US more than a decade ago, a spokesman said on Saturday.

The suspension of Rev Joseph Palanivel Jeyapaul was lifted last month after the bishop of the Ootacamund Diocese in Tamil Nadu consulted with church authorities at the Vatican, said Rev. Sebastian Selvanathan, a spokesman for the diocese.

Bishop Arulappan Amalraj of Ootacamund (Ooty) had referred Jeyapaul's case to the Vatican's 'congregation for the doctrine of the faith', and the suspension was lifted on the church body's advice, he added. The Vatican office of the congregation for the doctrine of the faith declined immediate comment.

Jeyapaul was sent to Minnesota in 2004. He was suspended in 2010 after being charged with sexually assaulting two girls who were both 14 at the time.

Arrested in 2012, Jeyapaul pleaded guilty to molesting one of the teenagers who hasn't been identified publicly.

source

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: February 15, 2016, 01:08:20 pm »
Ah, that makes more sense. For a moment there I thought Titi was a priest!
Ha ha not fucking likely. The sentiment was definitely: pliers, blowtorch, medieval etc
Jehovah's Witnesses have been operating the same policy which the Catholic Church thinks is a good idea.
Do you have any links to any stories on this? Obviously the Catholic Church has been shown up for the cesspool of unsavoury twats they are but I wasn't aware JWs were also abusing kids.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #216 on: February 15, 2016, 01:39:45 pm »
Ha ha not fucking likely. The sentiment was definitely: pliers, blowtorch, medieval etcDo you have any links to any stories on this? Obviously the Catholic Church has been shown up for the cesspool of unsavoury twats they are but I wasn't aware JWs were also abusing kids.

Aussie Royal Commission has been digging there. Over one thousand reported/alleged abusers in past 50 years they knew about within religion of around sixty thousand people, zero reported by religion to protection/law enforcement. - http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/dec/01/jehovahs-witnesses-fostered-distrust-of-secular-authority-royal-commission-counsel

Charity Commission here has been trying to investigate them for 2+ years, but they've been fighting having any oversight. Currently at Court of Appeal after Charity Tribunal told them to give their heads a wobble and start co-operating: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/charity-commission-defends-its-investigation-into-jehovahs-witness-charity-in-the-court-of-appeal

Godard Inquiry is taking evidence from survivors about them (sorry no links - personal knowledge).

JWs hold a kangaroo court to force survivors to reveal precisely what happened to them. Then they decide whether or not to punish the survivor. If they decide the survivor is also at fault (yes, seriously), they can order the survivor's JW family to shun them. I shit you not. So reporting is a huge problem for children, teens and even adult survivors. "Perfect storm for abuse" say the Aussie experts.

Don't wish to take away from this thread about the absolute contempt the Catholic Church has shown to survivors so will leave it there. I hope there is justice and restitution for anyone who has been through abuse like this. And I'm obviously very much in favour in secular law giving some religions a firm reality check on what their responsibilities truly are.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:39:01 pm by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: February 15, 2016, 02:10:06 pm »
Snip
Crazy that, I had no idea, thanks for posting up those links.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: February 16, 2016, 07:15:14 pm »

Nail on head.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2016, 01:55:36 am »
There's a Royal Commission into historical abuse going on at the moment here in Australia. Survivors wanted Cardinal George Pell to testify that he knew nothing of this instances of cover up despite allegations he was told of abuse. He was due to fly in from the Vatican to give evidence but got a sick note to say he was to ill to fly. The judge/head of the commission allowed him to testify from Rome via video link up much to the dismay of survivors.

Anyway, a Crowdfund thing has raised enough money for 15 survivors to fly to Rome and look him in the eye as he gives his "story"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-16/crowdfunding-campaign-to-send-ballarat-survivors-to-rome/7174664

Tim Minchin has also written a song imploring the Cardinal to come on home:

"It's a lovely day in Ballarat, I am kicking back, thinking of you,"

"I hear that you have been poorly, I am sorry that you are feeling blue."

"...But a lot of people here really miss you Georgy, we really think you ought to just get on a plane. I am sure they will make you feel welcome at the pub in Ballarat, they just want a beer and a chat."

"I mean with all due respect dude, I think you are scum and I reckon you should come home,"

"Cardinal Pell, I know that you are not feeling well, perhaps you just need some sun. It is lovely here you should come home.

"You pompous buffoon, and I suggest you do it soon."

Minchin later added:

"Oh Cardinal Pell my lawyer just called to tell me this song could get me in legal trouble."

"Oh well, if you don't feel compelled to come home by a sense of moral duty, perhaps you will come home and freakin' sue me."
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:57:12 am by elbow »
We are Liverpool!

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #220 on: March 16, 2016, 03:27:52 pm »
Friars turned 'a blind eye' on predator

Updated: MARCH 16, 2016

JOHNSTOWN, Pa. - In what appears to be the first case of its kind, state prosecutors Tuesday charged three former leaders of a Pennsylvania-based religious order with conspiracy and endangerment for not removing a cleric who sexually abused scores of children over decades.

A grand jury report said each of the Franciscan supervisors - the Revs. Giles A. Schinelli, Robert J. D'Aversa, and Anthony M. Criscitelli - had known about the trail of victims Brother Stephen Baker left in multiple states, but did little to halt it or protect the schools or communities he served. Baker, suspected of sexually abusing more than 100 minors over at least two decades, killed himself in 2013 as the claims began trickling out.

"These men turned a blind eye to the innocent children they were trusted to protect," Attorney General Kathleen G. Kane said at a news conference. "Their silence resulted in immeasurable pain and suffering for so many victims."

The charges were the second prong of a two-year investigation by Kane's office into clergy sex abuse in central Pennsylvania. A grand jury report released two weeks ago said 50 abusive priests in the eight-county Altoona-Johnstown Diocese harmed children for decades with no recrimination from its leaders.

But Baker wasn't under diocesan supervision, and the wide reach of his order - it served schools and communities in multiple states - helped him elude scrutiny the way some diocesan priests could not. The prosecution of his former Franciscan supervisors marks what investigators called the first criminal strike into the hierarchy of a U.S.-based religious order over abuse by one of its members.

"This is rare," said Massachusetts lawyer Mitchell Garabedian, who represents 48 of Baker's alleged victims, and praised Kane's office for bringing the case.

Each of the defendants had acted as minister provincial of the order's Immaculate Conception Province, which is based in Hollidaysburg, and serves schools and communities in several states. All are now retired.

Baker was 20 when he joined the order in 1970. He worked at parishes and schools in Virginia, Minnesota, Ohio, West Virginia, and Michigan before being transferred in 1992 to Bishop McCort High School in Johnstown.

According to the report, Schinelli assigned Baker to the school despite knowing he had been accused of sexual abuse in 1988 in Missouri. Baker was given a post teaching religion and working as an equipment manager for McCort's football team.

D'Aversa, who had succeeded Schinelli as provincial, removed Baker from the school in 2000 after learning about another credible assault allegation, the report said. But he allowed the friar to remain in the area, attend high school functions, and serve as "vocations director" for the order, which included hosting teens on retreats, the report said.

Criscitelli, who took over as the province leader in 2010, allegedly allowed Baker to work at a shopping mall despite knowing the friar was the subject of a "safety plan" by the order that suggested he not have contact with minors.

During his years in central Pennsylvania, Baker sexually assaulted scores of children, grand jurors said, and the provincials "engaged in efforts to protect the image and reputation of the Franciscan Friars rather than act in the best interests of the children served by their organization to whom they owed a duty of care."

full article

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #221 on: April 25, 2016, 05:58:09 pm »
The Vatican Just Put a Convicted Rapist Back in a Parish

ROME — Just what is it that the Vatican does not get about predator priests? Apparently a lot.

Father Joseph Jeyapaul is a priest from India who admitted to raping two adolescent girls in Minnesota when he served the Crookston diocese from 2004 to 2005.

After being charged with the abuse, which included rape and forcing at least one of the girls to perform fellatio on him, he fled home to India, where he was eventually arrested on an Interpol warrant. He was then extradited back to Minnesota, where he admitted his heinous crimes and entered a plea bargain in which, in exchange for a lighter sentence, he copped to molestation of one of the girls.

Jeyapaul was suspended from the priesthood and served a year and a day in prison in Minnesota, then was deported back to India after his release last July. The Minnesota diocese where he worked also settled a civil lawsuit with the victims in which one accused him of systematic abuse in the confessional of the Blessed Sacrament Church in Greenbush, Minnesota, where he would then tell the girl it was her fault, that she had made him “impure.”

How much more proof would one need that the man cannot be trusted with minors?

Apparently, Jeyapaul’s rap sheet is not enough to kick him out of the priesthood for good. In February, the Vatican approved lifting his suspension from the priesthood and agreed that he could be reassigned to a new parish in India. That parish even made him the diocesan head of its commission for education.

“We are not only disgusted and alarmed, but we realize there is a serious danger,” Minnesota attorney Jeff Anderson said during a press conference last week. “Pope Francis has broken a pledge. This priest is a predator who needs to be stopped, and they have chosen not to stop him.”

Anderson, who has been at the forefront of the legal battle for victims of clerical sex abuse in Minnesota, is involved because he represents one of the victims Jeyapaul went to prison for abusing. Megan Peterson, now 26, has stepped forward to tell her story to protect children. She asked Anderson to file a public danger (nuisance) federal lawsuit against the Ootacamund diocese in Tamil Nadu, India.

Standing by Anderson this week at the press conference, she said that when she heard that the Vatican had lifted Jeyapaul’s suspension for crimes against her, she felt “abused, degraded and re-victimized all over again.”

Peterson is asking the Indian diocese for more than $75,000 in damages for making her relive her trauma by forgiving her abuser in what is seen as a legal attempt to get the Indian diocese to rethink allowing Jeyapaul to start his new job.

“Children deserve to be protected in India and nobody is doing this at this point," Peterson said at the televised press conference. "This pope has said that bishops who cover up [sexual abuse] and the offending clerics have no place in the church. I feel like this is a slap in the face."

Peterson is not the only one calling foul. The Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests (SNAP) says this is the last straw. “It may be the most irresponsible Vatican move we’ve ever seen: Catholic officials in Rome have lifted the suspension of a recently convicted predator priest,” SNAP’s outreach director Barbara Dorris said in a statement. “We are stunned and saddened by such blatant recklessness and callousness.”

Dorris added that the survivors are grateful that Peterson filed the lawsuit, which she referred to as a “novel approach” to trying to protect children from known predators by taking legal action to expose predators the church has reinstated or protected.

Still, it gives one pause to think that the Vatican could turn such a blind eye to a case in which the priest admitted to abusing minors and was sentenced in a secular court.

“I say this carefully and only after considerable thought,” David Clohessy, SNAP’s director told The Daily Beast. “The Jeyapaul case is the worst case we’ve seen.”

Whether Jeyapaul’s new diocese will consider the lawsuit and refuse to let the errant priest keep his job is of great concern to Anderson and victims alike.

“The Vatican under Pope Francis and the Bishop in India have both made the decision to permit this predator to continue in ministry after his conviction for child sex abuse and are promoting him as safe and trustworthy and holy,” Anderson said.  “And as we speak, there are hundreds of children who we know trust him and believe him to be trustworthy.”

source

But the new Pope said don't kick gays in the face so that's alright.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
This is not a legacy issue, Catholic church bastards still covering up

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/religious-order-covered-up-for-paedophile-priest-who-abused-up-to-100-children-34686757.html

Religious order covered up for paedophile priest who abused up to 100 children

A priest who abused up to 100 children was allowed to act "with impunity" and without any restrictions on his access to children by his religious order, which concealed his behaviour from the Archbishop of Dublin and the State authorities.

Salvatorian priest Fr Patrick McDonagh was convicted in 2007 by the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court on eight counts of sexual and indecent assault on four girls in Dublin, Limerick and Roscommon between 1965 and 1990, and was sentenced to four years in jail. He died in 2009.

The serious mismanagement and concealment of his crimes by his order was one of the findings published by the National Board for Safeguarding Children in the Catholic Church in Ireland (NBSCCCI), the Church's own safeguarding watchdog.

The audit of 30 religious orders revealed that the Salvatorians failed to monitor Fr A, as Fr Patrick McDonagh is referred to, from 2002 - when one of his own relatives accused him of having abused her as a child - to 2004, when he underwent treatment for his behaviour and admitted the extent of his abuse.

During those two years, the prolific abuser was allowed to travel to Rome and serve as a hospital chaplain before he went on to Australia, the watchdog's review reveals.

"We believe he possibly continued to abuse for those two years," NBSCCCI CEO Teresa Devlin said. Speaking to the Irish Independent, Ms Devlin stressed there were at least 90 more victims of Fr A - who the Irish Independent understands to be Fr Patrick McDonagh - who have yet to receive any support from the Salvatorian order, in addition to the nine of whom the order is aware.

She was critical of the order's "lack of shock or shame at the abuse perpetrated by this man" who targeted little girls between the ages of six and nine.

The Salvatorians did not tell Cardinal Desmond Connell, who was Archbishop of Dublin in 2002, the real reason they were withdrawing Fr Patrick McDonagh from parish ministry in Dublin. Instead they hinted that he was overstressed by his pastoral work.

Ms Devlin said: "I believe the reason they didn't tell Cardinal Connell is they didn't want him to know; the provincial was covering up the abuse by sending him away."

She said the Salvatorians needed to do more to find out if there are any other victims of Fr Patrick McDonagh and reach out to them.

"They have a responsibility to try and find people," she said, adding that religious superiors who fail to report and implement safeguarding procedures should face consequences under civil and canonical law.

She warned against complacency. "This is not over, unfortunately. In every organisation and in the Catholic Church there will be people who harm children and so there will still be children who are potentially at risk from priests."

The last audits show the most recent allegation of sexual abuse against a priest related to 2013.

Audits deal with 288 allegations that resulted in 'just' 10 convictions

The latest round of audits reviewed safeguarding practices of 30 orders. They deal with 288 allegations against 90 priests, brothers or sisters which resulted in "just" 10 criminal convictions.

The allegations relate to the period 1950-2002, although one incident was as recent as 2013. The more in-depth reviews assessed the Blessed Sacrament Fathers, the Brothers of Charity, the Hospitaller Order of Saint John of God, the Marist Brothers and Opus Dei.

Among the findings are:

- Child safeguarding has not been given sufficient priority by some orders.

- Poor record-keeping in a number of orders, while poor monitoring of those accused of child abuse was also documented.

- Inconsistent or poor support for complainants.

- A small number of new orders who are developing ministries in Ireland need to increase their awareness of child safeguarding.

Irish Independent

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #223 on: February 6, 2017, 12:18:23 pm »
Royal commission into child sexual abuse: 1,880 alleged perpetrators identified in Catholic Church

More than 20 per cent of the members of some Catholic religious orders — including Marist Brothers and Christian Brothers — were allegedly involved in child sexual abuse, a royal commission hearing in Sydney has been told.

Nearly 2,000 Catholic Church figures, including priests, religious brothers and sisters, and employees, were identified as alleged perpetrators in a report released by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

Proportion of non-ordained religious order members who were alleged perpetrators

Brothers of St John of God - 40.4%
Christian Brothers - 22.0%
Salesians of Don Bosco - 21.9%
Marist Brothers - 20.4%
De La Salle Brothers - 13.8%
Patrician Brothers - 12.4%
Society of Jesus - 4.8%
Missionaries of the Sacred Heart - 3.3%
Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart - 0.6%
Sisters of Mercy (Brisbane) - 0.3%

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #224 on: February 6, 2017, 12:46:51 pm »
Heard those figure on the news today,
would love to say im shocked by the sheer numbers, but un fortunately im not.. its been know for YEARS..the shit thats  been happening with  these religious fucking nutcases..{and yes i include anyone who believes n some mythyical figure in the sky..your a nut job, }
JFT 96

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #225 on: February 6, 2017, 01:44:08 pm »
Royal commission into child sexual abuse: 1,880 alleged perpetrators identified in Catholic Church

More than 20 per cent of the members of some Catholic religious orders — including Marist Brothers and Christian Brothers — were allegedly involved in child sexual abuse, a royal commission hearing in Sydney has been told.

Nearly 2,000 Catholic Church figures, including priests, religious brothers and sisters, and employees, were identified as alleged perpetrators in a report released by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

Proportion of non-ordained religious order members who were alleged perpetrators

Brothers of St John of God - 40.4%
Christian Brothers - 22.0%
Salesians of Don Bosco - 21.9%
Marist Brothers - 20.4%
De La Salle Brothers - 13.8%
Patrician Brothers - 12.4%
Society of Jesus - 4.8%
Missionaries of the Sacred Heart - 3.3%
Sisters of St Joseph of the Sacred Heart - 0.6%
Sisters of Mercy (Brisbane) - 0.3%

Is this the Australian Commission?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: February 7, 2017, 02:06:44 am »
Ha ha not fucking likely. The sentiment was definitely: pliers, blowtorch, medieval etc

While I could sympathise with your sentiment, keeping the authorities out of it is a bad idea. Dealing with it your own way would mean the victim doesn't get the professional help and care they'd need to deal with what they went through. And going medieval on the perp doesn't guarantee they'll not do it again, unless you murder them - in which case you've lost any moral argument you might ever have had.

Reporting it is the right thing to do.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2017, 03:10:06 pm »
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Abuse survivor quits pope's commission citing 'shameful' resistance

A leading member of a group advising Pope Francis on how to root out sex abuse in the Catholic Church quit in frustration on Wednesday, citing "shameful" resistance within the Vatican.

The sudden departure of Marie Collins, an outspoken Irish woman who was the last remaining survivor of priestly abuse on a Holy See commission, was a major setback for the pope, who has faced criticism of not doing enough to tackle the problem.

The work of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors, set up by Francis in March 2014, has been slowed down by internal disputes and Collins blamed the Vatican's administration, known as the Curia, for the "constant setbacks".

"The lack of cooperation, particularly by the dicastery most closely involved in dealing with cases of abuse, has been shameful," she said in a statement.

She said the pope had a "genuine wish" to solve the problem, but in later comments to a Catholic publication she criticized him for being too forgiving towards sexual abuse in the Church.

She told the National Catholic Reporter that in her three years on the commission she had never been able to speak to the pontiff, and denounced those who surround him.

"It is devastating in 2017 to see that these men still can put other concerns before the safety of children and vulnerable adults," she said, listing a string of cases in which she said the commission's work had been hampered by Church officials.

The Vatican said the pope had accepted her resignation "with deep appreciation for her work on behalf of the victims/survivors of clergy abuse".

Cardinal Sean O'Malley of Boston, who heads the commission, also thanked her for her work and said the commission would look at her concerns at a meeting next month.

Full article

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
If you're interested in this topic, you'd probably be interested in the Netflix documentary series, The Keepers. If you're a fan of The Wire, probably doubly so. It's about the catholic church and police in 1960's Baltimore.

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
If you're interested in this topic, you'd probably be interested in the Netflix documentary series, The Keepers. If you're a fan of The Wire, probably doubly so. It's about the catholic church and police in 1960's Baltimore.

Also the movie Spotlight, which is excellent.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EwdCIpbTN5g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EwdCIpbTN5g</a>

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
Also the movie Spotlight, which is excellent.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EwdCIpbTN5g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EwdCIpbTN5g</a>
It certainly is. Sadly, films like this and Mea Culpa: Silence In The House of God continue to be topical.

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Hello, Claw. Long time. All good?

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
'All' is probably a bit of a stretch. But it's been a ridiculously long time, you're right. I don't even think we had had our daughter then, and she has just turned four.
I'm fairly sure that Hodgson was in charge when I was last a regular: lots of changes since then all round.
You're still fighting the good fight, I see: this kind of foul thing seems to be almost endemic in the RC Church, although the Anglicans have also been getting in on the act I see.
Hope all is fine and dandy your end too.

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
In a similar kind of cover up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40485015

The key headline seems to be to pull down a building  :o  :o not one mention of prosecution but it does state that "Children 'still at risk'" - WTF?

"The inquiry, led by judge Frances Oldham QC, has recommended demolishing the Haut de la Garenne children's home, where much of the abuse took place."

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
I wonder how long it'll be before he contracts some illness that'll stop him traveling to Australia?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-29/cardinal-george-pell-charged-sexual-assault-offences/8547668

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I wonder how long it'll be before he contracts some illness that'll stop him traveling to Australia?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-29/cardinal-george-pell-charged-sexual-assault-offences/8547668

I can't see anything in there about a trial date?

Can he be tried in absentia, assuming the rat keeps trying to hide?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
I can't see anything in there about a trial date?

Can he be tried in absentia, assuming the rat keeps trying to hide?

July 26. He's said the Pope has given him leave to attend and that he is looking forward to his day defending himself in court.

Cue an act of God between now and then.

For those on here from outside of Australia, Cardinal Pell is the 3rd highest ranking Vatican official and the most senior member of the Catholic Church to be charged.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Has Cardinal Law, the guy who was heavily implicated in the Boston sex abuse scandal and who was given sanctuary and a lofty position in Rome by the then Pope been brought to justice yet ? 
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg