Author Topic: Android Phones - Apps and stuff  (Read 258740 times)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Re: Android Phones - Apps and stuff
« Reply #2480 on: March 18, 2019, 11:13:52 pm »
Is there a way to uninstall an update on a galaxy s8? My phone has just updated and its fucking horrible

Awful isn't it?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2481 on: March 19, 2019, 06:40:34 am »
Is there a way to uninstall an update on a galaxy s8? My phone has just updated and its fucking horrible

You need to install Odin for Samsung and then follow some steps. It could be a bit complicated to understand and you can brick your device if things go wrong so I would not recommend it unless you have some knowledge of flashing firmware.

Best to take it to a repair shop and ask them to do it for you. Will probably cost around 20-30 quid at most.
Phuk yoo

Offline Shabby14

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2482 on: April 17, 2019, 11:59:15 am »
Moved from Apply to Huawei / Android, with the new P30 Pro. Absolutely astonished with the battery life / super charging / wireless charging.  :o

Is there a non official Huawei charging option to get super charging?

I bought a combo of https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KVZJ1F5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MK1ZR3D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But just get quick charge.

Any ideas?

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #2483 on: April 17, 2019, 03:39:09 pm »
Huawei use their own quick charge technology so the Qualcomm stuff for Smasungs etc won't work.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #2484 on: April 29, 2019, 01:31:58 pm »
My 13 year old daughter is proving to be a nightmare in knowing where the hell she is either not answering her phone or constantly on it !  I am also concerned about what she is looking at online and her social media stuff. I have been looking into the various parental apps but am no clearer on which is the best one. Anyone got any suggestions ?
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2485 on: April 29, 2019, 02:33:27 pm »
Is there a non official Huawei charging option to get super charging?

Not in my experience. I too have a Huawei phone and the only cable and plug which seems to 'super charge' is the official Huawei one.

Can you not just use the charger it came with?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:18:06 am by CheshireDave »
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #2486 on: May 27, 2019, 07:57:12 am »
HI.

I used to post here quite a load a few years ago when I was developing my app and then 3 children came along which mean the time to develop the app and spend time in forums disappeared.

Anyway i'm just posting to say that I have recently spent a lot of time working on the app to try and bring it back to where it used to be which was a very popular LFC app.

The most recent release adds day and night themes and enables the nextmatch/player birthdays widget for everyone.

Here is the link if anyone remembers the app.

http://bit.ly/30NiQPq

Appreciate the support. Hoping to get some good feedback form here as id like to spend a lot of time adding new features.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #2487 on: May 27, 2019, 12:41:51 pm »
The Redmi K20 Pro is the new flagship killer coming out from Xaiomi. My next phone 100%. Just hope it has a global version.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855, 6GB Ram, 6.39in AMOLED display, 4000mah battery, NFC, headphone jack, 64/128 storage with exandable memory, pop-up selfie camera.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline medley

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Garrincha
« Reply #2488 on: May 27, 2019, 02:35:44 pm »
The Redmi K20 Pro is the new flagship killer coming out from Xaiomi. My next phone 100%. Just hope it has a global version.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855, 6GB Ram, 6.39in AMOLED display, 4000mah battery, NFC, headphone jack, 64/128 storage with exandable memory, pop-up selfie camera.

I'm looking at this as well. Currently got the Xiaomi Note 5. Hoping for a good deal off the 3rd party market stores
My mate is Sarah Harding's cousin from girls aloud, he looks a fair but like her which is a bit weird when i'm cracking one off over MTV like

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2489 on: May 28, 2019, 12:38:44 am »
Broke the screen on my honor 8x last week so might give it to the aul lad and get the k20/k20 pro. By the sounds of things the only difference between them is the k20 uses the sd730 instead of the sd855. I don’t game on phones so not sure I’d notice the difference.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2490 on: June 12, 2019, 02:01:07 pm »
Ain't going right back through the thread but has anyone used Lucky Patcher?

https://www.luckypatchers.com/download/

Seems could be very useful for stopping ads etc

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #2491 on: June 12, 2019, 02:07:02 pm »
Right. After years with a Samsung S7 edge I am about to replace. I am not going to get myself tied to a contract and will buy another phone outright. I am not a technical wizard like some of you on here so need something that I understand quickly, has access to google play, takes really good pics and basically works the same as the samsung I am used to. Without buying another samsung until recently the Huawei Pro 20 looked a good choice but does that mean if I get one now that I won`t be able to use google play in the future ? The other option seems to be the One Plus 7 which seems to tick a lot of boxes but some reviews seem to suggest the camera isn`t up to the standard of the Pro 20.

So, if I go for a Huwaei is all this stuff in the news recently going to stop me using google play apps or access to them ? or should I go for the One Plus 7 anyway ?

All suggestions and advice welcomed !!
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2492 on: June 12, 2019, 02:34:05 pm »
Ain't going right back through the thread but has anyone used Lucky Patcher?

https://www.luckypatchers.com/download/

Seems could be very useful for stopping ads etc

Used it years ago to skip ads and popups in aps. Used to work on a few of the older games and apps for in-app purchases (but I've been told that has long been patched out of google). Does mean you having to root your phone and it can be a bit of a faff getting it to work how you want. But in practice you can find patches versions of the games online if you know where to look

Right. After years with a Samsung S7 edge I am about to replace. I am not going to get myself tied to a contract and will buy another phone outright. I am not a technical wizard like some of you on here so need something that I understand quickly, has access to google play, takes really good pics and basically works the same as the samsung I am used to. Without buying another samsung until recently the Huawei Pro 20 looked a good choice but does that mean if I get one now that I won`t be able to use google play in the future ? The other option seems to be the One Plus 7 which seems to tick a lot of boxes but some reviews seem to suggest the camera isn`t up to the standard of the Pro 20.

So, if I go for a Huwaei is all this stuff in the news recently going to stop me using google play apps or access to them ? or should I go for the One Plus 7 anyway ?

All suggestions and advice welcomed !!

Huawei does have the vastly superior camera but the OnePlus 7 does take more than acceptable photos. If you just want a point and shoot camera then either are fine

In terms of google on Huawei, you will get still have access to the google apps and play store even when the worst of the trade deal kicks in. BUT what you will lose in future are google and Android updates. So when Android moves to version 10 you wont get those updates. You will also lose out on security patches for your phone making your phone technically open to security flaws. These will not be patched by Google/Huawei.

But I am like you in that I dont do contracts and buy my phone up front (well on a credit card and pay it down). I can only talk about Oneplus as I have had the 3 and 5T versions and cant fault them or their service (both have had screen burn issues and they were fixed by Oneplus for free).

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #2493 on: June 12, 2019, 04:15:10 pm »
Used it years ago to skip ads and popups in aps. Used to work on a few of the older games and apps for in-app purchases (but I've been told that has long been patched out of google). Does mean you having to root your phone and it can be a bit of a faff getting it to work how you want. But in practice you can find patches versions of the games online if you know where to look

Huawei does have the vastly superior camera but the OnePlus 7 does take more than acceptable photos. If you just want a point and shoot camera then either are fine

In terms of google on Huawei, you will get still have access to the google apps and play store even when the worst of the trade deal kicks in. BUT what you will lose in future are google and Android updates. So when Android moves to version 10 you wont get those updates. You will also lose out on security patches for your phone making your phone technically open to security flaws. These will not be patched by Google/Huawei.

But I am like you in that I dont do contracts and buy my phone up front (well on a credit card and pay it down). I can only talk about Oneplus as I have had the 3 and 5T versions and cant fault them or their service (both have had screen burn issues and they were fixed by Oneplus for free).

Many thanks for that. I really like the cameras on the Huawei but based on what you're saying about the future security flaws then clearly sensible choice is the Oneplus. I do want a really good camera. I currently take my SLR on holiday but frankly for days out with family etc it is a pain in the arse to lug about so want a phone with a camera which provides good images using the zoom etc.

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #2494 on: June 12, 2019, 04:54:35 pm »
Apparently the Huawei Mate 20 Pro will have the next beta of Android Q. Whether it continues to receive the monthly security updates remains to be seen, likely depends on whether the executive order from Trump is rescinded, but for now it's the best supported phone I've had (and I owned the OnePlus One, 2 and 3T).

It's camera and battery life blow every other phone I've used out of the water. But again I've not tried anything else newer than the OnePlus 3T to compare it to.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #2495 on: September 13, 2019, 10:34:11 pm »
Any decent apps to stream live football?
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2496 on: September 13, 2019, 10:42:23 pm »
Any decent apps to stream live football?

LivenetTv - Swift Streamz & Tv Tap are all you need & Mobdro if you have a vpn,they stop streaming to the UK when the footy is on,turn it back on after the footy.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #2497 on: September 18, 2019, 10:28:52 pm »
Anyone with a Google one storage subscription (I'm on the Ł1.59pm) check you app in the benefits tab you can claim a free Google home mini

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #2498 on: September 19, 2019, 04:53:02 pm »
Anyone with a Google one storage subscription (I'm on the Ł1.59pm) check you app in the benefits tab you can claim a free Google home mini

Legend! Thanks for sharing - just did my order now. Have one already but dead handy to have one upstairs too.
JFT97

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2499 on: September 22, 2019, 02:43:07 pm »
Got the A-40 recently but found it strange how whatsapp and email notifications don't flash up on the lock screen. Had to download glimpse notifications for it to do it. Just assumed this would be a normal function of the phone!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2500 on: October 19, 2019, 09:45:41 am »
I've a galaxy s10 on giffgaff network. Havent been receiving normal texts since Thursday but people are receiving the ones I send. Any ideas how to resolve this?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2501 on: January 17, 2020, 12:55:29 pm »
Does anyone know how to 'close' Google Podcasts? Even when I'm done with it, I can seem to swipe it of my active apps/notifications list.

And is there a way of preventing the brief pause on Podcasts, BBC Sounds, and more, when you receive a message notification?  I find this more of an irritation than a benefit.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2502 on: December 4, 2020, 11:57:20 am »
I have been a long time IOS user but wanted to get an android phone for a long time. I bit the bullet a few days ago in a black Friday sale and bought the Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro. It’s a real beauty of a phone and quite the flagship killer.

But here’s the thing – I’m really concerned about privacy and security on a Xiaomi device. After doing some research it seems pretty clear that MiUi Global OS and a lot of the bloatware apps that come pre-installed share user data with Servers in some shady locations. I even read about incognito user browsing data being shared. I’ve also read speculation about the possibility of spyware being embedded in the hardware.

On the flipside I’m sure Apple and Google are no angels themselves. iOS is closed source after all.

Does anyone have any tips to securely configure one of these Xiaomi handsets to maximise security and privacy? From removing bloatware to actually installing a custom ROM, I’m open to it but I would be really interested to hear thoughts and recommendations on here.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Dowahwiddy

• diddy doo diddy dey do doh dondey doh
  • Main Stander
« Reply #2503 on: December 4, 2020, 03:13:51 pm »
I use blokada and don't have any concerns with my Xiaomi device. It works as a VPN and is fully configurable to block any unwanted traffic aswel as all adverts/tracking cookies. On top of that there is a large custom ROM development community over on XDA. As far as ROMs go the Xiaomi EU ROM seems to be the ROM of choice as it is basically stock Xiaomi rom with bloatware removed.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2504 on: December 5, 2020, 06:52:35 am »
I use blokada and don't have any concerns with my Xiaomi device. It works as a VPN and is fully configurable to block any unwanted traffic aswel as all adverts/tracking cookies. On top of that there is a large custom ROM development community over on XDA. As far as ROMs go the Xiaomi EU ROM seems to be the ROM of choice as it is basically stock Xiaomi rom with bloatware removed.

Thanks for your help man. That’s really helpful.

I’m going to do more research on custom roms. It seems like knowing this stuff is essential if one takes their privacy seriously.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #2505 on: July 15, 2021, 11:01:29 pm »
I have had to send my Motorola G7 Power phone for repair (there was an issue with the headphone jack/speakerphone, couldn't hear any sounds even with a pair of headphones plugged in the 3.5mm jack).

They took the SIM card out before it was sent to the repairer (returned it on 23/6).  I got the phone back today & after restoring my backup, I noticed there weren't any SMS messages between 23/6 & this afternoon.  Will I be able to restore these missing texts or will they have disappeared permanently?  I don't think there was anything urgent, but I get sent a lot of text messages each day.

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2506 on: September 21, 2021, 12:52:41 pm »
since yesterdays samsung galaxy s10 update my music downloads destination is now my voice recorder files?? when I them move them to the samsung music app they lose their 'renames' and appear as 8d14-de49 etc which is pretty useless. Anyone know how to go back to downloading straight to the SMA?
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2507 on: September 21, 2021, 07:52:30 pm »
Thanks for your help man. That’s really helpful.

I’m going to do more research on custom roms. It seems like knowing this stuff is essential if one takes their privacy seriously.

Absolutely.

EU ROM,
Adaway,
blokada,
And logging traffic
I even block specific routes of traffic with adaway

Best route you can go

Offline pazcom

• Kopite
« Reply #2508 on: April 5, 2022, 08:39:25 pm »
If I have my WiFi/mobile data switched on and send an old fashioned text message to my other half why does it say message not delivered and she will only get it when she puts her WiFi/mobile data on? Is this something new with Android? I had to turn my WiFi/mobile data off to send a text message that she got almost immediately as she answered in about 1 minute...
Keira 29/04/1999
 --- Violet 09/09/2020
 --- Myles 13/10/2021
Sophie 26/04/2006

My little Reds

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #2509 on: April 30, 2022, 11:02:47 am »
Gonna get a second Android phone as a dedicated music device. I currently have the most recent iPod Touch but the battery life is terrible and it's too small. There are some decent cheap phones that are good enough for what I want as well as expandable memory with SD Cards which still cheaper than getting a refurbed iPhone for the same purpose.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2510 on: July 2, 2022, 04:11:34 pm »
Anyone know why Google and Chrome are updated so often?  Seems like every week there's a bloody big download needed for both.

I recall reading ages ago that the 2 products would eventually become one ... is this what's going on?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2511 on: July 3, 2022, 10:10:38 am »
What with being able to rip FLACs off deezer, it's probably a good time to talk about iBroadcast

Great little app, I was testing it. Its essentially Google Play Music.

Upload yer own collection - if you still have one - and boom, there it is. You're off the algorithm, high on your own supply.

Android app with desktop app or browser for uploading

https://www.ibroadcast.com/home/

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2512 on: August 10, 2022, 01:32:05 pm »
Got the A53 this week. Had the A40 for 4 years but it was finally time to upgrade the phone as the volume had all but gone and it was falling apart a bit. Got it for 31 a month with 40 gb which is way more than I'll need.

Really liking it so far- battery seems way better, good camera, smooth to operate.

Only issue I have with Samsung phones seems to be notification flashes on lockscreens. I have to download 'glimpse notifications' for each phone - a small thing but seems crazy unless I'm not seeing an obvious setting change.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #2513 on: August 15, 2022, 12:56:09 pm »
i used to unlock bootloaders and flash a rom on my old phones, cant be arsed anymore. got a Google Pixel Pro 6, best phone i've ever had (well obviously, has all the latest tech innit).

but i've managed to have 4 days of battery life on it, with moderate usage. even got Fortnite working on it.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2514 on: August 15, 2022, 01:05:25 pm »
Used to be really into rooting and flashing roms onto my phone. But nowadays you end up losing so much. If I do I lose my online banking, google pay/wallet (need that for my NFC for the football). Plus the phone ends up really buggy.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #2515 on: August 15, 2022, 01:38:55 pm »
Used to be really into rooting and flashing roms onto my phone. But nowadays you end up losing so much. If I do I lose my online banking, google pay/wallet (need that for my NFC for the football). Plus the phone ends up really buggy.

yeah, phones arent for making calls anymore, its your digital life. i dont even know when i last made a phone call.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2516 on: August 28, 2022, 06:20:57 am »

I plan to get a burner if I ever actually get match tickets ever again, though can also get a pass off the ticket office for non NFC phones.

I can sympathise with this view but my rooted phone is phenomenonal. I don't know how people cope with the default sound volume of non rooted phones. Not to mention AdAway and the like. I don't see adverts. Full stop.

But then I don't like Google Pay. I don't care about online banking via my phone or having a wallet on my phone, my lifestyle just isn't that... Hectic?

I see what you mean though. It's fast becoming more of a hindrance than a help. It's a shame.

The amount of apps that don't work with root I suppose I'm lucky it's things I don't care about. But I made my choice. It's sort of academic anyway, importing a Chinese Xiaomi that was never released here. It isn't, really, usable without root

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2517 on: January 8, 2024, 06:57:36 pm »
Didn't want to start a new thread but this is driving me mad if anyone can help. Since the most recent update on my Samsung A54 the torch has disappeared from the drag down on the home screen and I can't find any way of getting it back, anyone any ideas?
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2518 on: January 8, 2024, 07:07:19 pm »
Didn't want to start a new thread but this is driving me mad if anyone can help. Since the most recent update on my Samsung A54 the torch has disappeared from the drag down on the home screen and I can't find any way of getting it back, anyone any ideas?

Tap on the + to see if it's hidden in there.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #2519 on: January 8, 2024, 08:47:16 pm »
Tap on the + to see if it's hidden in there.
Thanks for the reply, I don't have one any more unless I'm going mad? This is the first screen and if I swipe to the second screen it just has a couple of shortcuts and nothing else. There used to be a lot more shortcut buttons there.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."