Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 346911 times)

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #160 on: April 10, 2010, 06:05:16 pm »
its sad that i'm looking forward to tonights dr who more than i am going out for a drink.

Combine the two. Perfect!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #161 on: April 10, 2010, 06:06:56 pm »
Steven Moffat was on Front Row last week. The podcast was on iTunes - not sure if it's still there. He talks about woman Doctors (not going to happen) and the reason why so many episodes are based on Earth...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: April 10, 2010, 06:22:50 pm »
Steven Moffat was on Front Row last week. The podcast was on iTunes - not sure if it's still there. He talks about woman Doctors (not going to happen) and the reason why so many episodes are based on Earth...
More viewers and cheaper to make?

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #163 on: April 10, 2010, 09:23:11 pm »
Good post apart from the above - I watched the Creek Easter Special and they appear to have lost their paddle, it was fucking terrible. :wave
Yes, it was bitterly disappointing, but I meant the Jonathan Creek of his first series, the original concept of the character.

As for the guest writers, I love Gatiss for his League of Gentleman stuff but his Doctor Who screenplays have been nowhere near that standard. In truth, I'd get in those writers who did the best 'New Adventures' books, like Gareth Roberts and Paul Cornell (who wrote Human Nature - probably the best episode of Tennant's final year). The same arena where Steven Moffat cut his teeth. I'm off to watch tonight's episode now so I really, really hope it wasn't shite.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #164 on: April 10, 2010, 10:50:58 pm »

What was the reason for the Earth point?
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2010, 12:28:28 am »
Was it good? Still waiting for a torrent :(

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2010, 01:22:54 am »

I'd imagine it is for reasons of cost.
The same reason a lot of alien planets look like quarries.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2010, 04:32:09 am »
Tonight's episode was okay.  Certainly better than last week's opener.  The new Doctor's still a little too manic for my tastes though. 
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2010, 06:05:36 am »
Tonight's episode was okay.  Certainly better than last week's opener.  The new Doctor's still a little too manic for my tastes though. 

Yeah I have to concur, I am not particularly impressed with him yet, just get the feeling he's trying 'too hard' to be a bit out there but its early days for him so I will give him the benefit of the doubt and see how it goes for a few more shows yet. it was never gonna be easy to follow Tennant to be fair.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2010, 11:04:24 am »
I'd imagine it is for reasons of cost.
The same reason a lot of alien planets look like quarries.

Also the Earth based ones get higher viewer figures.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5359552.stm

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2010, 11:52:14 am »

Twofold - cost is one reason but the main reason is that viewers identify more strongly with aliens invading earth than some abstract alien conflict.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2010, 01:30:35 pm »
Has there ever been a sci fi thing that 'worked' that didn't involve humans at all?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2010, 01:36:39 pm »
As a movie or TV programme no. There are some great stories but they usually work because you don't realise the characters aren't human until the end
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2010, 01:47:17 pm »
Has there ever been a sci fi thing that 'worked' that didn't involve humans at all?

Star Wars.

It's not in this galaxy...

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2010, 02:02:15 pm »
Red Dwarf technically only had 1 human

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2010, 02:02:38 pm »
Star Wars.

It's not in this galaxy...

It's evidently still the human race though. "Long ago in a galaxy far away" is just setting the scene - importantly by not just saying far away it implies that the stories are part of human history and opens the possibility that mankind originated elsewhere.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2010, 05:40:47 pm »
Ok, I'm officially liking Matt Smith now in a non-gay way. He's already got a much sharper edge to him and his occasional bouts eccentricity are handled very well, I actually believe he is an alien which I don't think I ever did with Tennant. The flashes of anger towards the end were great and I like the way he was testing and challenging Amy, hopefully this won't descend into the annoying, fawning Doctor-Rose relationship. So "The Crack" is going to be the season long arc, I wonder just what is hiding in there?

I'm as tired of the Daleks as everyone else but the advert for next week's and the shot of the British Soldier Dalek has me quite excited.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2010, 07:25:05 pm »
It's evidently still the human race though. "Long ago in a galaxy far away" is just setting the scene - importantly by not just saying far away it implies that the stories are part of human history and opens the possibility that mankind originated elsewhere.

I was being facetious. Star Wars has done many evil things, but it has yet to succumb to the TNG style wrapping up the origin of species with a Progenitors bow.

How about Cars? No humans anywhere in that.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2010, 08:02:12 pm »

How about Cars? No humans anywhere in that.

Good shout.
I guess no film will work if it can't portray human emotions.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline mildale

• Mildly Jealous of a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2010, 08:03:08 pm »
Good shout.
I guess no film will work if it can't portray human emotions.
The Matrix?
www.twitter.com/mildale89

Oh and dont use Mars bars as sex tools. Took me ages to get it all out.

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: April 11, 2010, 08:19:58 pm »
Thought that was great and can't wait for next weeks. Smith is doing a sterling job.

The cloest to non-human (excepting things liek Cars and A Bugs Life) is probably Farscape. Only one human main character, the rest all aliens from a galaxy far away. And well worth checking out and persisting with for those that like their science fiction.

Offline Plinkyplonk

• I orinar en las piscinas. HECHO!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cockles
    • Avon Brixham Liverpool Devon Paignton Torquay
« Reply #181 on: April 11, 2010, 10:38:19 pm »
I liked this week..... the beginning was fantastic :D

And for the first in a looooooooooooooooooong time I'm actually looking forward to the daleks next week.

Matt's doing well.... I like the fact he's a bit weird and different.  It would be stupid if he was the same as we've had before.  And if you think about it, he's only just regenerated and is still finding his feet as the doctor so he might change once he gets settled in more.

My brother is reading a book which is full off the emails from the script writers sent to each other when they were working on ideas for everything from the doctor to torchwood and everything else....and stuff about Tate and assistants who didn't make it etc... hopefully he'll finish it soon so I can borrow it... but it sounds sooooooo good! You should find it if you've not already.....

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: April 11, 2010, 10:42:22 pm »
You like DW, but not the daleks? That is insanity.

Offline Plinkyplonk

• I orinar en las piscinas. HECHO!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cockles
    • Avon Brixham Liverpool Devon Paignton Torquay
« Reply #183 on: April 11, 2010, 10:44:41 pm »
Who me? I never said I didn't like the daleks..... they just don't over excite me :D

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: April 11, 2010, 10:47:51 pm »
The series arc is being layered on with a trowel. Moffat is usually a bit more subtle. I'd like a smaller scale finale for once. Maybe only Doctor and companions in peril. The new series lacks it's Adric moment. Harriet Jones was not quite core enough for it to really bite.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #185 on: April 12, 2010, 02:09:29 am »
After an incredibly annoying failed sky+ recording and subsequent iplayer download, I have to say I loved that second episode. Moffat seems to have nailed everything I like about new who. The creepy Victorian fairground booth thing (although it would have been better if they'd left it as just that), the moral dilemma (sacrificing an innocent to save countless others), the idea that no-one in the story is 'evil', it's just shades of grey and doing what you have to do to survive. I liked the Nigel Hawthorne/Yes Minister tribute moment and the 'I'm the bloody Queen, mate' line. Hopefully, they can keep this standard up.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: April 12, 2010, 08:38:48 am »
The new series lacks it's Adric moment.

You are showing your age.
Probably THE stand out moment for me from the series.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: April 12, 2010, 11:40:41 am »
You are showing your age.
Probably THE stand out moment for me from the series.

It was really shocking at the time. There was no internet, no newspaper spoilers. I was 9 and it had a huge impact on me.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/idEcvdL_zHA&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/idEcvdL_zHA&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0</a>

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #188 on: April 12, 2010, 11:46:54 am »
Watched this on iPlayer last night and I thought it was a very weak and derivative story line. I agree with SP about the arc of the narrative being laid on thick, and the morality tale of the last episode may as well have been written in ELVIS style lettering at the end of the show.

Too often this new crop of Dr Who script writers wear their influences on their sleeve. I don't think there has been a sci-fi film of the last thirty years that hasn't had it's ideas, scenes, dialogue or imagery plundered in the form of a 'tribute'. It's beginning to grate on me.   

Having said that, I think young Smith is doing really well, he's inhuman which is right and proper. I liked his irritation toward the end of the episode when he said 'humans have nothing worthwhile to say to me today'. That was pretty much my view by then, as Amy Pond seems very much like lightweight eyecandy, and she comes across as a bit dim in real life too.

As for a black Queen of England? Please...that kind of PC nonsense was a RTD trademark, and it makes me cringe.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2010, 11:58:37 am »
Watched this on iPlayer last night and I thought it was a very weak and derivative story line. I agree with SP about the arc of the narrative being laid on thick, and the morality tale of the last episode may as well have been written in ELVIS style lettering at the end of the show.

Too often this new crop of Dr Who script writers wear their influences on their sleeve. I don't think there has been a sci-fi film of the last thirty years that hasn't had it's ideas, scenes, dialogue or imagery plundered in the form of a 'tribute'. It's beginning to grate on me.   

Having said that, I think young Smith is doing really well, he's inhuman which is right and proper. I liked his irritation toward the end of the episode when he said 'humans have nothing worthwhile to say to me today'. That was pretty much my view by then, as Amy Pond seems very much like lightweight eyecandy, and she comes across as a bit dim in real life too.

As for a black Queen of England? Please...that kind of PC nonsense was a RTD trademark, and it makes me cringe.

I didn't even notice she was black :(

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: April 12, 2010, 11:59:34 am »

A black was more credible than that accent... That was easily the worst Moffat-written episode. It had the stylish touches, but seemed to forget about the narrative. It was a shorter episode, but they still padded the end with the Dalek introduction.  The Smilers were sinister, but they could have made so much more of them.

Thus far the new season has had more good ideas than RTD had in a whole season, but they could have been executed better. 

Offline sparkiemark73

• Legacy Fan
  • Hairway to Steven
« Reply #191 on: April 12, 2010, 12:51:27 pm »
It was really shocking at the time. There was no internet, no newspaper spoilers. I was 9 and it had a huge impact on me.

Same here, I seem to remember no theme tune after it? It was pretty intense.

Never really minded Davidson as a Doctor, Baker was a hard act to follow (esp for older fans than me. - that said, I've a good mate who says Pertwee all day long. And don't get him going on 'the master'..... you know who it is).
"Here's Dalglish...........Oh and a goal!!"
PSN - sparkness08

Offline Marcus6

• QueenOfTheSouth7 (steals food from children)
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 ft 2, Eyes of Blue, Billy Bonds is after you...
« Reply #192 on: April 12, 2010, 12:54:03 pm »
Am liking the new doctor, but that episode was gash.

The Smilers might aswell not even been in it.

And when the Tardis was flying around the city, no-one noticed the big f*ckoff whale thing underneath it? Hmm...

From custard slices to menstrual waste in 4 posts. That's impressive, even for RAWK.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: April 12, 2010, 02:20:26 pm »
I didn't really like the episode, thought it was too slow in the build up then just sort of raced to the conclusion. Some good stuff at times, just a bit bleh overall.

Enjoying Matts Doctor, very eccentric and you really feel like he's alien. The part where he yells at Amy after discovering the truth behind the beast was brilliant.

As others have mentioned, first Dalek ep I'm really looking forward to in awhile, although the whole "Churchill's on the phone" gag at the end was a bit much.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: April 12, 2010, 02:31:54 pm »

As others have mentioned, first Dalek ep I'm really looking forward to in awhile, although the whole "Churchill's on the phone" gag at the end was a bit much.

At least there was no "oh yes, yes yes"

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #195 on: April 12, 2010, 02:32:24 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/idEcvdL_zHA&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/idEcvdL_zHA&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0</a>

You mean you jumped for joy? ;)

Davison was my favourite Doc.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2010, 02:34:50 pm »
Am liking the new doctor, but that episode was gash.

The Smilers might aswell not even been in it.

And when the Tardis was flying around the city, no-one noticed the big f*ckoff whale thing underneath it? Hmm...

Yeah the smilers were criminally underused. Fortunately for me i get advanced images and stuff before it hits tv so i saw the smilers and thought they were wicked but didnt turn out as i expected them too. Plus the whale at the end, they could have shaded the thing in a bit.

Bit of a lukewarm ep.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2010, 05:52:26 pm »
Was ok as a whole. More character building than actual plot at the moment.
Random reference to the season two episode The Idiots Lantern ( the coronation episode with tvs that steal your face) with she shop Magpie Electricals. Wonder of its just a bit of fun or something more important.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2010, 06:38:44 pm »

Same here.. when I was 9/10/11 I used to rent out doctor who VHSs from the library, one story per week (in no particular order).  I can remember vividly watching that last episode of Earthshock, I was stunned. You always expect the doctor to save the day and then suddenly you get those silent credits and you realise it's for real. It's the type of ending where you just want to go and hug yer mum after seeing it!

We're still on the David Tennant episodes here in Portugal, we just had "Journey's End" the other day which was a bit of a mess of an episode, way too much going on, but am looking forward to seeing more still..

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #199 on: April 12, 2010, 06:58:54 pm »

The Clangers.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.