Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 175326 times)

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #640 on: April 21, 2018, 01:05:05 am »

Really like the cherry blossom tree that is directly opposite my house. Was in full bloom the past couple of weeks but seems to have shed a bit?

My dad came up last night and had a good go of my front garden. Looks a million times better as it was in a bit of a state. Need to pay someone to come and remove some bits in the back garden then try and tidy that aswell.

Front gardens grass is bad
https://imgur.com/a/E08FREX

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: April 21, 2018, 01:33:15 am »
Front gardens grass is bad
https://imgur.com/a/E08FREX
My front grass is like that mate, I've conceded it will never improve, it gets very little sunlight. Trying to kill the moss is like getting Donald Drumpf to read a book. SAD!

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: April 21, 2018, 10:16:47 am »
My front grass is like that mate, I've conceded it will never improve, it gets very little sunlight. Trying to kill the moss is like getting Donald Drumpf to read a book. SAD!
It’s south facing so gets plenty. Would it be best just to buy new turf and start a fresh as it’s such a small size and costs would be little?

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #643 on: April 21, 2018, 11:56:16 am »

Have you fan racked it hard then add a weed and feed?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #644 on: April 21, 2018, 11:57:14 am »
It’s south facing so gets plenty. Would it be best just to buy new turf and start a fresh as it’s such a small size and costs would be little?

You could just dig it all up and buy some top soil and a bag of hardy grass seed. The area is not huge so the cost would be minimal.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: April 21, 2018, 06:33:00 pm »

Have you fan racked it hard then add a weed and feed?
To be honest mate, I haven't and you're right I know that's what it needs. I think a quality scarifier would do my front and back garden a lot of good.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: April 21, 2018, 09:20:49 pm »
You could just dig it all up and buy some top soil and a bag of hardy grass seed. The area is not huge so the cost would be minimal.
Sounds like that’d be the best route to a nicer garden.
Me and my dad tidied the back garden out earlier. Weeds gone. Some dead plants. Lawn mowed. The lawn needs some care though

Stuff on the far right to hopefully be removed tomorrow morning

https://imgur.com/a/kxG2Td5

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #647 on: April 22, 2018, 01:08:00 pm »
To be honest mate, I haven't and you're right I know that's what it needs. I think a quality scarifier would do my front and back garden a lot of good.

Then get off your lazy arse and do it ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #648 on: April 22, 2018, 01:14:03 pm »
Sounds like that’d be the best route to a nicer garden.
Me and my dad tidied the back garden out earlier. Weeds gone. Some dead plants. Lawn mowed. The lawn needs some care though

Stuff on the far right to hopefully be removed tomorrow morning

https://imgur.com/a/kxG2Td5

Cracking garden and so much you could do with it.

Shrubs/Small trees on the left of picture to make it more full looking, add a small flower border on the lawn in the patch that in rectangular in shape. Do the same at the end of the garden on the left. On the right the square can be and shrub and herb garden. the concrete on the right could be removed and made into a lawn also and you could add plants along that side too to make the garden more fuller looking.

Just a couple of ideas maybe.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: April 23, 2018, 12:05:04 am »
It's a large white blossom cherry tree (I think). Big as a house. It got a bad haircut by the council a few years back - took a hammering aesthetically, but at least it's putting on some sort of show.

I wouldn't bugger about with turf and seed and stuff now Craig. Do it after the summer. You'd have to water it constantly. Leave it till the early autumn.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #650 on: April 23, 2018, 06:21:34 pm »
It's a large white blossom cherry tree (I think). Big as a house. It got a bad haircut by the council a few years back - took a hammering aesthetically, but at least it's putting on some sort of show.

I wouldn't bugger about with turf and seed and stuff now Craig. Do it after the summer. You'd have to water it constantly. Leave it till the early autumn.

Perfect time to do it now :nirnir
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: May 9, 2018, 12:19:32 am »
Perfect time to do it now :nirnir

Really? ;D

Been away in Italy for a few days. In laws, us 4, her sisters lot, so 10 in total. Don't get away often. First time flight for kids too. Family shit - they're part Italian through a grandmother. Was fun, but hard going too.

Have been in bits about having the greenhouse door closed these last 4 days. Gave them a really good soaking just before I left and kissed them all goodbye and that I'd promise to be home soon. I had slug pellets all over the floor from weeks back so couldn't leave the door open so I shut it. I knew it was the wrong thing to do, but we were rushing etc.

Anyway... thankfully not too bad it seems. I gave them all a small drop tonight just to be getting on with. Most were on their knees. You have shit weather for fuck knows how long, and you go away on the one weekend you're needed, plus you closed the door!  *wail*

Followed the goings on at Chelsea while walking round the oldest botanical gardens in the world in Padova. 1545 I think. Must upload a pic. A place to revisit I hope - needs a whole day - preferably cooler, preferably with a smaller group (!). Parrots were nesting in the open air part - was a beautiful thing. The contrast with the noise that goes on after an important match was invigorating, as was the numerous plant 'graves'. The outdoor gardens were all highly organised and subdivided, and subdividead again in rows of 2x2' squares of bordered off space, each with a label hand written in Italian and welded onto tall metal spikes 2 ft high - many had nothing growing in it, just the label and the description sticking out of dry dead earth, but next door might be a wonderful plant. It closed before we got to the indoor bit, but it was so fucking hot I didn't mind. Some beautiful trees too.

« Last Edit: May 9, 2018, 12:36:05 am by Filler. »

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: May 14, 2018, 04:46:37 pm »
Quick question....

We've got a sort of rockery at the back of the house that just grows weeds and shit like that which we want to get rid of. The past couple of years we spent ages digging it out, only for everything to constantly grow back. How can we get it so nothing grows? My wife has suggested we dig out what we can, then put a sort of mesh/tarpaulin over it and cover in gravel or bark. Would this work? I'm a complete novice and have literally no idea.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: May 14, 2018, 05:00:45 pm »
Quick question....

We've got a sort of rockery at the back of the house that just grows weeds and shit like that which we want to get rid of. The past couple of years we spent ages digging it out, only for everything to constantly grow back. How can we get it so nothing grows? My wife has suggested we dig out what we can, then put a sort of mesh/tarpaulin over it and cover in gravel or bark. Would this work? I'm a complete novice and have literally no idea.

Listen to her. ;D

Nah seriously, that is what will work.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #654 on: May 14, 2018, 05:42:27 pm »
Quick question....

Why not spray it with something? You can still get some pretty evil weed-killers that will sort it all out and nothing will grow back for ages.
Legacy fan

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: May 14, 2018, 07:02:40 pm »
Quick question for Percy Thrower, can you get decent size onions planting onion sets,  or is it not worth my while?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #656 on: May 15, 2018, 11:05:33 pm »
Listen to her. ;D

Nah seriously, that is what will work.

;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: May 20, 2018, 10:30:06 pm »
Step 1: Build two raised, tiered beds. Done. Step 2: Weed, prune, feed, dig, manure, prepare. Step 3. Plant. Step 4: Tell yourself you're just going to hoe it every so often. Step 5: 12 weeks later, spend most of the weekend pulling up bindweed and triffids in the sunshine.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: May 21, 2018, 12:21:14 am »
Step 1: Build two raised, tiered beds. Done. Step 2: Weed, prune, feed, dig, manure, prepare. Step 3. Plant. Step 4: Tell yourself you're just going to hoe it every so often. Step 5: 12 weeks later, spend most of the weekend pulling up bindweed and triffids in the sunshine.
I actually sighed feeling your pain mate. But then I wondered is it a satisfying task or is it slogging toil?

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #659 on: May 21, 2018, 01:03:18 am »
Any good places for plants/flowers in liverpool? cheap like

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: May 21, 2018, 08:26:08 am »
So, these onion sets?     :P

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: May 21, 2018, 11:39:26 am »
I actually sighed feeling your pain mate. But then I wondered is it a satisfying task or is it slogging toil?

I'd rather it was finished - or at least so it's all cleared/flattened, and all the plots for raised beds/football, greenhouse/shed/kitchen in place. Am surrounded by knock on effects to do with the house too. Build 'this', so then 'that' can go there, then the crap that's 'there' can go 'there', then ...etc' x 100. It would change our lives completely if it was all 'done'. I have to get diggers in, I've accepted that. And a chainsaw.

If it's done you can have dreams. Was washing up this morning listening to some heavy heavy rock (Sleep's 'The Sciences') and asked my wife...

'I wonder how difficult it would be to...'
'... get a new husband?'
'.. to have Sleep playing live at the end of the garden. Huge stacks of speakers piled on top of eachother at Who 'Live at Leeds' volume levels. Richard Dawson in support.'
'hmmn'

You can't dream till it's done sadly. I've spent 20 years living in building sites, and I need to move on!

So, these onion sets?     :P

Plant small onion sets and they just become a big onion, they don't subdivide like potatoes for instance, but you'll get a nice one. I grew them once and wasn't really worth it as they're quite cheap to buy. Shallotts I'd do again tho, and garlic. Wouldn't be planting onions now. Buy some over wintering onions and sow them Sep/Oct for this time next year.

-
Weedkillers are great for killing stuff off for 3/4 months, but they'll return. If you want to keep weeds away, you have to lay matting, and I'd be removing the deep rooted stuff by hand before it's put down too.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: May 21, 2018, 12:24:57 pm »
Need help on ideas to fill this gap I've just cleared.  Preferably nothing too big, as I quite like the extra light, but I'm sure the rear neighbours would prefer their privacy back [emoji848] 

I'm happy for it to be in a container or the ground, deciduous or evergreen, flowering or not.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #663 on: May 21, 2018, 08:41:03 pm »
Herb garden?
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: May 21, 2018, 11:12:59 pm »
I'd get rid of the tree and put up a fence. Or bricks if south facing. Massive paddling pool in the middle.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: May 23, 2018, 10:10:25 pm »
Or continue with those slats at the bottom with more slats and grow a climber? Or remove bottom slats and make a trellis to fill the space and grow it up that way. I'd get that tree out tho. Terminate with extreme prejudice.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: May 23, 2018, 10:25:08 pm »
Yeah I hate the slats and was already thinking of covering them up with some bamboo type fencing?

Hadn't thought of taking the tree down but if we have the privacy of bamboo then why not as it is blocking out a view of an RSPB reserve.

That part of the garden only gets sun from the mid afternoon so it's either in shade or full sun during spring and summer.

No chance if a paddling pool.  I've no kids and that's where I park the car 🤣

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: May 23, 2018, 10:35:11 pm »
Ah! I thought it was fully enclosed. I'd chop it down if you could see Goodison, so the fact you can look over a reserve!!? I'll come and do it myself. Do it now. Get a saw and cut that fucker down.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: May 23, 2018, 10:40:45 pm »
I know!  I used to be able to watch barn owls hunting at dusk when we bought the place now all I can see is a tree

I'll have to wait till autumn though as we've got nests in it.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: May 23, 2018, 10:45:45 pm »
I'll have to wait till autumn though as we've got nests in it.

Tell them that they can live at yours and can watch the final.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: May 23, 2018, 10:53:57 pm »
Debs, is it open to the left of that image?

I'd chop that tree down and plant a traditional hedge. You can hide a wire link fence in it if you want. Or something hedge like wildish rose bushes. Something to make the transition to the reserve
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #671 on: May 23, 2018, 10:59:51 pm »
Careful with planting bamboo the runners after a few years will run wild.

So if you do decide to go the bamboo route make sure you use a bamboo root barrier.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: May 23, 2018, 11:29:11 pm »
Agreed. Don't plant bamboo. That would be regrettable.

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #673 on: May 24, 2018, 12:22:28 am »
Holding a strimmer, I always imagine the scene in 'predator' with the total annihilation of half the rainforest with big guns. 
dios esta buena

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: May 24, 2018, 07:01:45 am »
Debs, is it open to the left of that image?

I'd chop that tree down and plant a traditional hedge. You can hide a wire link fence in it if you want. Or something hedge like wildish rose bushes. Something to make the transition to the reserve
Unfortunately not no.  That bit you see is my bit of a communal area for 3 other houses.  This is from March from the kitchen, rubbish pic really till you zoom in on the sparrkwhawk in the silver birch [emoji4]

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: May 24, 2018, 07:03:54 am »

So if you do decide to go the bamboo route make sure you use a bamboo root barrier.
Not planting noooooo would never do that.  I mean the stuff you buy on a roll [emoji23]

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #676 on: May 24, 2018, 10:37:52 am »

If only you'd been around to post that sage advice 14 years ago. And I'd been around to read it.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: May 24, 2018, 11:22:17 am »
Unfortunately not no.  That bit you see is my bit of a communal area for 3 other houses.  This is from March from the kitchen, rubbish pic really till you zoom in on the sparrkwhawk in the silver birch [emoji4]

Maybe no hedge....

I'd still get rid of the tree, but some bushy plants up in containers, and/or something climbing on the fences.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #678 on: May 24, 2018, 11:26:11 am »
and/or something climbing on the fences.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: May 24, 2018, 12:36:54 pm »
Maybe no hedge....

I'd still get rid of the tree, but some bushy plants up in containers, and/or something climbing on the fences.
Yeah I've got some climbers, honeysuckle and clematis ready to go and for now I've put an old chimney pot with a photinia in a container there which has helped fill the space.

I've ripped out a load of old ivy that had taken over and found a straggly pyracantha cutting I'd put in years ago.  Maybe now it's got some space and light it might thrive.

Anyone else noticed the masses of Hawthorne blossom this year?  Don't know if it's just our area but I can't remember ever seeing it like this