Author Topic: The RAWK Investment/Trading Thread  (Read 153020 times)

Offline CB

• Kopite
  • Chi non salta della Lazio e'
Re: The RAWK Investment/Trading Thread
« Reply #200 on: September 8, 2009, 11:33:47 am »
Can anybody recommend a company / site to open a small trading account with?
Barclays Stockbrokers is pretty easy to use online - www.stockbrokers.barclays.co.uk
Milan nel incubo!

E grazie a Dio che non sono Laziale!

Offline CB

• Kopite
« Reply #201 on: September 8, 2009, 11:37:39 am »
Fortunately I am shareholder in Cadbury plc, so if a bidding war breaks out I may well be grinning from ear to ear.
Milan nel incubo!

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #202 on: September 8, 2009, 11:47:00 am »
thats nice, TDWaterhouse is who i normally use.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #203 on: September 8, 2009, 03:24:09 pm »
thats nice, TDWaterhouse is who i normally use.

Gone with them, thanks for the help gents
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 9, 2009, 11:25:11 pm »
Fortunately I am shareholder in Cadbury plc, so if a bidding war breaks out I may well be grinning from ear to ear.

Vedanta have been doing well as well since you posted about it on here- did you hold in the end?

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline CB

• Kopite
« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2009, 10:29:29 am »
Vedanta have been doing well as well since you posted about it on here- did you hold in the end?
Yes, I have held onto Vedanta actually and they are past £19 this morning, so over 250% rise on when I went in earlier this year! I intend to hold them for a while yet as I think the group's exposure in Indian aluminium, copper and zinc has to be positive. I reckon that there really can only be one way for these shares given economic growth in India and the overall economic recovery starting globally, so fortunately I might just have picked a proper winner here.

If anything happens with Cadbury then I might put some of the proceeds back into equities and probably some more natural resources. It just depends on the timing really.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:31:05 am by CB »
Milan nel incubo!

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2009, 02:47:15 pm »
Yup, it definitely was a good pick, although there seemed to be a bit of a blip last week when there was news of Chinese commodity hoards being bigger than expected?

Your thoughts on gold?

It's a funny one in my opinion- with investors willing to take more risk on as equity markets continue the rally I wouldn't have expected people to move into gold so strongly. Dollar's tanked though and of course China's position on their dollar reserves and move into gold would be a factor pushing prices of gold up. I did read that Chinese gold accumulation was more by way of their own production though.

September effect? Also demand for gold around this time does normally spike from India- already the largest consumer of gold (well, it was- don't know if China's buying more now) but I don't think it did significantly this year.

There's also this

What about M&A activity these days- going to pick up in a big way? Cadbury's of course, Disney last week, Xstrata and T-Mobile are a few big deals I've seen mooted/completed in the last week.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline CB

• Kopite
« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2009, 03:01:13 pm »
What about M&A activity these days- going to pick up in a big way? Cadbury's of course, Disney last week, Xstrata and T-Mobile are a few big deals I've seen mooted/completed in the last week.
I work in a M&A firm as you know and we are just starting to see a pick up, certainly in new enquiries if not in the volume of transactions. Whilst we have been dealing with lots of distressed cases over the past 12-18 months, there is certainly a feeling that we are starting to come out of the other side.

In certain sectors there is now a feeling that companies are being acquired for strategic reasons rather than the fact that they are just cheap. Having said that, bank finance for M&A deals is still very hard to get hold of but thankfully the recent flurry of mega deals should improve the bank sentiment with regard to credit.

Overall we are feeling like it will still be 12-18 months before the M&A market is really back to any sense of normality and even then it will never go back to the way it was. Too many hard lessons have (hopefully) been learnt for that.
Milan nel incubo!

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2009, 03:08:52 pm »
any tips on getting started in the share market? any websites i should know of? seen my dad invest in M&S and vodafone and they have all screwed him over.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2009, 09:55:48 am »
What do you guys make of the market recovery from March/April onwards?

Speaking to somebody recently who said that the recovery is an illusion and expects the market to drop again.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2009, 09:58:57 am »

Speaking to somebody recently who said that the recovery is an illusion and expects the market to drop again.

The cripple guy is able to walk because governments have gave him a pair of crutches...but will he still be walking when the crutches are taken from him?  Time will tell....
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #211 on: September 11, 2009, 10:29:21 am »
The cripple guy is able to walk because governments have gave him a pair of crutches...but will he still be walking when the crutches are taken from him?  Time will tell....

More like a zimmer frame!

Offline indy

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #212 on: September 11, 2009, 11:45:35 am »
anyone ones to make quick buck. invest in vrp today asap

it should go to 30p when the yanks wake up

i brought at 8p
inderjit singh

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #213 on: September 11, 2009, 12:14:43 pm »
anyone ones to make quick buck. invest in vrp today asap

it should go to 30p when the yanks wake up

i brought at 8p

I'm awake. What I miss?

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2009, 01:45:56 pm »
I'm awake. What I miss?

You missed VRP hitting 18p - 49% rise. Nowhere near 30 though.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline indy

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2009, 02:38:23 pm »
sorry it will hit 20p end of the day and 30 p by nx week
£1 by xmas

which other company you lot invest in ?
we can help each other out
inderjit singh

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2009, 02:46:36 pm »
I work in a M&A firm as you know and we are just starting to see a pick up, certainly in new enquiries if not in the volume of transactions. Whilst we have been dealing with lots of distressed cases over the past 12-18 months, there is certainly a feeling that we are starting to come out of the other side.

In certain sectors there is now a feeling that companies are being acquired for strategic reasons rather than the fact that they are just cheap. Having said that, bank finance for M&A deals is still very hard to get hold of but thankfully the recent flurry of mega deals should improve the bank sentiment with regard to credit.

Overall we are feeling like it will still be 12-18 months before the M&A market is really back to any sense of normality and even then it will never go back to the way it was. Too many hard lessons have (hopefully) been learnt for that.

Sounds promising. Interesting about bank finance, I'd have thought the big providers of finance have had enough time to bolster up their capital so they could start lending it now! Although they're probably not out of the woods by a long shot- Santander and RBS not calling back the hybrid capital in the last week or 2- the excuses were 'convenient' though  ;D

A lot of it depends on governments around the world- in the last week or so there's been talk about exit strategies regarding the stimulus packages the governments are still providing.

If it goes wrong then we could see what people have labelled a 'w-shaped' recovery.

Inflation will play a part as well- the longer inflation is kept away, the longer the interest rates can stay low and the longer there is economies can grow.

I don't think the recovery is an illusion- there has been recent economic data which shows how production and manufacturing are increasing (Chinese production was up by more than expected). Of course, it's all the result of government stimulus packages, but unless the rug gets pulled from underneath then you can see it continuing. And I don't think the rug will get pulled- you'd think governments wouldn't do that (hopefully!)

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2009, 03:03:18 pm »
Something smells fishy to me. Much of this rally was on weak summer volume, and this was a short week. I'm not convinced we're out of the woods - stuff manufacturing activity, I've a lot of unemployed friends, and the first bunch to lose their jobs are approaching the end of their unemployment benefits. The jobs picture is gloomy.

I'm taking some profits off the table. I've had a good run in IMA, VMW, TSO, SSO, and ROM over the past few weeks, and I'm selling some OTM covered calls on half, and outright selling half.

I've plowed a lot of my profits into VMV - a tax free Massachusetts Muni bond fund, paying 7.5% with no money going to Uncle Sam.

It's half my money on the sidelines for me.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:34:39 pm by El Campeador »

Offline Manila Kop

• TRYING HARD TO FIT IN OOTER
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Greatest Fighter in the World
« Reply #218 on: September 11, 2009, 05:07:17 pm »
It's half my money on the sidelines for me.

Funny enough I did the same this morning.  I was fully invested, sold half my portfolio to lock in the profits.  I'm just filled with unease at the moment but I can't quite put my finger on why.

The remaining half is invested in commodities-sector companies who are poised to benefit from the recovery in Chinese demand due to their stimulus package, since I have faith that the PRC government will keep pumping money into their economy as needed to maintain the Communist Party's grip on power.
The infallible wank stain
Lolzies. More chance of a wank off the pope than beating United, I'm afraid. It is beyond Benitez, apart from when they were at their lowest ebb, when we knocked them out of the FA Cup. They certainly aren't anywhere near there now.

Offline CB

• Kopite
« Reply #219 on: September 11, 2009, 09:05:21 pm »
Sounds promising. Interesting about bank finance, I'd have thought the big providers of finance have had enough time to bolster up their capital so they could start lending it now! Although they're probably not out of the woods by a long shot- Santander and RBS not calling back the hybrid capital in the last week or 2- the excuses were 'convenient' though  ;D
Most of the UK banks are nowhere near the sort of capital reserves that the government wants to see. So they are effectively caught in a catch-22 of trying to build up their capital base (by not over lending and also levying high charges on what credit they are allowing out the door) and then pretending to be actually providing much in demand credit to companies that really need it.

This fact they are not really releasing credit is part of what is sending companies to the wall. There are too many companies starved of cash and unable to obtain bank credit to see themselves through the tough times. Many have also been impacted by customers destocking and then extending payment terms to 60 or even 90 days. Clearly the lack of credit is also starving companies that need to finance research and development, etc.

So it is still going to be a rough ride and the start of recovery can only be when the banks are properly capitalised. At that point we will hopefully see more credit available and hopefully on more attractive terms.
Milan nel incubo!

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #220 on: September 11, 2009, 09:16:26 pm »
Most of the UK banks are nowhere near the sort of capital reserves that the government wants to see. So they are effectively caught in a catch-22 of trying to build up their capital base (by not over lending and also levying high charges on what credit they are allowing out the door) and then pretending to be actually providing much in demand credit to companies that really need it.

It's not so much they're just caught in a catch 22 situation, it's that it's the government have put them into this situation by telling them to rebuild their balance sheets while lending and lending cheaply.  Short of asking shareholders for more money (which wouldn't occur) they can't raise capital while offering cheap loans when cowst of funding is increasing so they literally can't lend due to their regulatory requirements.  If it's one constant thing this government don't know it's how to run a bank.
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline JamieB

• Legacy Fan
  • Winning isn't important, it's everything
« Reply #221 on: September 12, 2009, 10:24:09 am »
I'm completely new to this but I'm looking to invest in some shares in companies etc and I've no idea where to start. I'd be looking to invest with several hundred to begin with but I don't know where or how to set up an account to invest. Would appreciate any help.
Pass and Move its the Liverpool Groove,
Go Robbie, Go Robbie, Go!

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #222 on: September 12, 2009, 11:26:39 am »
I'm completely new to this but I'm looking to invest in some shares in companies etc and I've no idea where to start. I'd be looking to invest with several hundred to begin with but I don't know where or how to set up an account to invest. Would appreciate any help.
who  is your bank?

almost all the banks have an investment arm, you can ask your bank manager for better advice
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 12, 2009, 03:00:42 pm »
Forget the banks at first- I'd never rely on them if I didn't know what I was doing.

Go on investopedia.com and go through the tutorial sections. They're very basic at first (although have some more advanced ones) and start you off from the beginning. Apply what you're looking at to actual data (ft.com have had a revamp and their markets section is pretty comprehensive actually- moving averages, indicators, different types of charts, fundamental data etc).

It's also worth picking a strategy- how much do you want to invest, what's the risk exposure you want (if you want little risk and a steady stream of income you might look at bonds or strong blue chip companies; but you might want higher growth in which case you'd have higher risk).

There's a few people on here who'll give you better advice than the above (El Campeador, JP-65, Dead Breath and CB know what they're talking about). From reading their posts (some of them I've been reading for years- I remember DB and JP's posts from years back talking trading!) I think that the first 3 of those have a more technical approach whereas CB would have a more fundamental approach (if that's unfair guys, please pull me up on it!)

There's no substitute for knowledge in my opinion- I wouldn't rely solely on a broker or whatever!

Offline CB

• Kopite
« Reply #224 on: September 12, 2009, 07:31:37 pm »
There's a few people on here who'll give you better advice than the above (El Campeador, JP-65, Dead Breath and CB know what they're talking about). From reading their posts (some of them I've been reading for years- I remember DB and JP's posts from years back talking trading!) I think that the first 3 of those have a more technical approach whereas CB would have a more fundamental approach (if that's unfair guys, please pull me up on it!)
Yup, that pretty much sums me up! For a career I an industrials sector analyst in an M&A firm and so I have reasonable sector-specific insight, if not actual company by company insight. My preference therefore is to take broad spread approach to a small number of key sectors that I have a a reasonable understanding of. Individual corporate situations may vary but they are not my focus. I am happy to take a relatively small loss on something if other positions in the sector are advancing nicely. I have to admit that given my job I do sometimes target strategic takeover opportunities...not necessarily specific companies (although I try!) but certainly specific market segments. Through the current year I am tending towards natural resources....specifically natural gas (e.g. Gasol, Indus Gas), mining (e.g. SQM, Vedanta) and oil and gas engineering (e.g. Hallin, Petrofac, Weir). Cadbury is a legacy investment which partially paid out with the demerger of Schweppes.
Milan nel incubo!

Offline CB

• Kopite
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2009, 07:33:39 pm »
It's not so much they're just caught in a catch 22 situation, it's that it's the government have put them into this situation by telling them to rebuild their balance sheets while lending and lending cheaply.
Your're right. Catch-22 is the wrong description but I could not put my finger on the right phrase. Either way, it is a pretty sticky situation to be in if you are a banker.
Milan nel incubo!

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 13, 2009, 05:28:54 pm »

It's actually a weakness of mine that I tend to pay too much attention to technicals. Having a finance and economic background, I started out investing back in the mid-to-late 90s based on fundamentals alone - paying a lot of attention to YoY EPS growth, top line sales growth, and looked for companies that had economies of scale or efficiencies to prevent COGS from handicapping gross margins.

Eventually, having realized that my choice of stocks was good, but my timing needed improvement, I started studying technical analysis to better time entry and exit points. My thinking went - use the fundamentals to select the stock, and technicals to select timing. Unfortunately, charts are addictive, and I often find myself starting out with the technicals and then using fundamentals to reinforce my decision - sort of ass backwards.

So my advice to the poster asking for advice is to take your time to research the underlying fundamentals of stocks and markets first and not get carried away looking for great looking charts.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2009, 09:21:54 pm »
I have a theory for that, Fundamentals for Investing, Technicals for Trading.

Trading is like picking the winner of a beauty pagaent, not who you think is the most beautiful, but who you think other people will find the most beautiful.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline matchoftheday

• Kopite
  • Dog
« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2009, 11:35:42 pm »
Has anyone ever heard of a company called rathbones? Could anyone tell me more about them?

All that I know is: "Rathbone Brothers Plc, through its subsidiaries, is a leading, independent provider of investment and wealth management services for private investors, charities and trustees, including discretionary asset management, tax planning, trust and company management, pensions advisory and banking services."

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2009, 02:55:11 pm »
People on here may find this interesting (especially CB)- it's from Credit Suisse and is a table of possible M&A targets and their acquirors:

Offline CB

• Kopite
« Reply #230 on: September 17, 2009, 08:39:37 pm »
People on here may find this interesting (especially CB)- it's from Credit Suisse and is a table of possible M&A targets and their acquirors:
Thanks Baz. Have to say that this is a fairly standard piece of work for anyone in M&A. The trick really, particularly in this market, is less about spotting the obvious multi-billion market cap acquirors but the less well-known, often unquoted, potential acquirors with cash reserves and a strong strategic rationale for the acquisition.

Being an industrials analyst I would get shot for not knowing the acquistion strategies of the likes of BAE, BASF, CRH, Legrand, Siemens, etc inside out! And I have to know the M&A teams at all of the big groups likes I know my mates (for instance, I was with the M&A team at Tomkins earlier this week). It is the mid cap and privately-owned groups (sometimes from less obvious countries like India and Israel) that are more tricky to penetrate. Despite the recent buzz around the big name transactions such as Adobe/Omniture, ATIC/Chartered Semiconductor, Baker Hughes/BJ Services, Disney/Marvel, France Telecom/t-mobile UK, possibly Kraft/Cadbury, Magna/GM Europe, P&G Pharma/Warner Chilcott, etc, it is generally the less well-known acquirors that actually make up the greater volume of deals....which is where I like to spend a lot of my time for obvious reasons.
Milan nel incubo!

Offline matchoftheday

• Kopite
  • Dog
« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2009, 10:21:53 am »

Where did you get this Baz?

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 18, 2009, 02:46:45 pm »
Thanks Baz. Have to say that this is a fairly standard piece of work for anyone in M&A. The trick really, particularly in this market, is less about spotting the obvious multi-billion market cap acquirors but the less well-known, often unquoted, potential acquirors with cash reserves and a strong strategic rationale for the acquisition.

Being an industrials analyst I would get shot for not knowing the acquistion strategies of the likes of BAE, BASF, CRH, Legrand, Siemens, etc inside out! And I have to know the M&A teams at all of the big groups likes I know my mates (for instance, I was with the M&A team at Tomkins earlier this week). It is the mid cap and privately-owned groups (sometimes from less obvious countries like India and Israel) that are more tricky to penetrate. Despite the recent buzz around the big name transactions such as Adobe/Omniture, ATIC/Chartered Semiconductor, Baker Hughes/BJ Services, Disney/Marvel, France Telecom/t-mobile UK, possibly Kraft/Cadbury, Magna/GM Europe, P&G Pharma/Warner Chilcott, etc, it is generally the less well-known acquirors that actually make up the greater volume of deals....which is where I like to spend a lot of my time for obvious reasons.

Yeah thought you'd have an insight into the Industrials grid. Thought it would be more client specific though- ie, at least one of the targets/acquirors must be a client- so thought I'd stick CS' one down.

Where did you get this Baz?

It was on ft alphaville yesterday.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 19, 2009, 04:18:19 pm »
Here's a couple of very interesting bits of news regarding the latest rallies in equity markets for you guys. There's loads more, but instead of posting a massive regurgitation, go here- stuff on the current rallies, Chinese possible gold/silver export ban and the Barclays/Protium SIV-type thing!

(I do seem to post a lot of alphaville stuff on here, but it's a brilliant resource as it pulls its own stuff from so many other places- ft articles, other finance blogs, research and newspapers; it's a one-stop shop to keep upto date with everything going on so I think it's great  ;D).

---

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/09/18/72646/the-anaemic-equity-rally/

That’s a chart of net flows into European equity funds from Citi. You can see that while investors rushed to pull out money in the latter half of 2008 — by record amounts — they haven’t exactly enthusiastically returned — yet. As the Citi analysts explain:

As William Shakespeare would have written, “Oh flows, flows, wherefore art thou?” Equity markets have rallied hard from March lows, up 40-50% in the UK and across Europe. But, this has been achieved with anaemic levels of net flows into equities. With returns from cash at record lows and with government bonds priced aggressively, is the stage set for money to return to risk assets, including equities? Historically it is flows (and earnings) that drive the second leg of market recoveries. Material flows can create that rare beast, the bull market. Despite strong returns already from risk assets this year, can investors afford to back the risk-free trade from here? With the bear exiting stage left, could the bull be entering stage right?

In this note, we check the euphoria levels in UK & European equities. We find little to shout about. The butchers, bakers, candle-stick makers and taxi drivers do not appear to be buying equities, yet. But, at least the sellers appear to have retreated to the shadows and there are some signs of returning confidence and investor risk appetite.

Investor euphoria remains hard to find in UK and European equities. The sellers have retreated, but the buyers are still largely absent. But, for how long can investors avoid equities? For some, such as Insurance companies, regulatory and solvency rules may keep equities out of bounds for some time. For retail investors, despite being burnt twice in the past decade, there are some early signs in the UK of recovering risk appetite amongst retail investors. We find it hard to argue in favour of low-return risk-free assets given the prospects for economic and corporate profit recovery and the modest valuations of UK and European equities.

-----

And an even more interesting:

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2009/09/18/72776/this-overvalued-overbought-overextended-market/

Here’s some more from Gluskin Sheff’s David Rosenberg, because his latest “Breakfast with Dave” note is  just so good.

He is NOT buying this stock market - remember, bear market rallies “are to be rented; never owned…”

Imagine that six months after the depressed lows we have a situation where:

• The trailing price-earnings ratio on operating EPS is 26.5x. At the October 2007 highs, it was 18.8x. In addition, when the S&P 500 is trading north of a 26x P/E multiple on trailing operating earnings, history shows that at these high valuation levels, the market declines in the coming year 60% of the time.
• The trailing price-earnings ratio on reported EPS is 184.2x. At the October 2007 highs, it was 23.4x. In fact, just prior to the October 1987 crash, the P/E ratio was 20.3x (not intended to scare anyone).
• The price-to-dividend ratio is 53x, where it was at the 2007 highs. Again, the market is trading as it if were at a peak for the cycle, not any longer near a trough. Once again, and we don’t intend to sound alarmist, the price-to-dividend ratio just prior to the 1987 crash was 12x, and at the time, the S&P 500 was viewed in many circles to be at an extended extreme.

Bullish analysts like to dismiss the actual earnings because they are “depressed” and include too many writeoffs, which of course will never occur again. Fine, on one-year forward (operating) earning estimates, the P/E ratio is now 15.7x, the highest it has been in nearly five years. At the peak of the S&P 500 in the last cycle — October 2007 — the forward P/E was 14.3x, and the highest it ever got in the last cycle was 15.4x. So hello? In just six short months, we have managed to take the multiple above the peak of the last cycle when the economic expansion was five years old, not five weeks old (and we may be a tad charitable on that assessment). As an aside, the forward multiple on the eve of the 1987 stock market collapse was 14x and one of the explanations for the steep correction was that equities were so overvalued and overbought that it was vulnerable to any shock (in that case, it came out of the U.S. dollar market). It certainly was not the economy because that sharp 30% slide took place even with an economy that was humming along at a 4.5% clip.

In other words, valuation may not be the best timing device, but it still matters. If the S&P 500 was in a 700-750 range, de facto pricing in zero to 1% real GDP growth, we would certainly be interested in boosting our allocations towards equities. But at 1,060 and over 4.0% GDP growth effectively being discounted, we will be spectators as opposed to participants, understanding that the key to success is to NOT buy at the peaks. So the strategy is to sit on the sidelines, be selective in our equity choices, and wait for the correction to come or for the fundamentals to catch up with this overvalued, overbought, overextended market. Remember, the reason why the tortoise won the race was because the hare got tired.

One more thing, when people look back at this period, they are very likely going to ask themselves why it was that they never paid attention to the volume data, which, like the bond and money market, never confirmed the veracity of this very flashy bear market rally. We reiterate, Japan enjoyed four of these 50% power surges in the context of a market that is still down over 70% from its highs of two decades ago. So remember, rallies in a bear market are to be rented; never owned. For those that never took the opportunity to get out at the lows today have this glorious chance to do so at much better prices, but the question is whether greed has overtaken their long-term resolve, especially now that Gordon Gekko is making a return to the big screen.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 04:23:49 pm by BazC »

Offline ElMagico

• hato with a rabbito. Abrocadabro!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 19, 2009, 11:56:18 pm »
Which oil/ petrol companies are looking up?

I know GKP are any ideas of any others?

Was looking at SXX, PPa and Hawk.

Offline CB

• Kopite
« Reply #235 on: September 20, 2009, 10:43:50 am »
Bullish analysts like to dismiss the actual earnings because they are “depressed” and include too many writeoffs, which of course will never occur again. Fine, on one-year forward (operating) earning estimates, the P/E ratio is now 15.7x, the highest it has been in nearly five years. At the peak of the S&P 500 in the last cycle — October 2007 — the forward P/E was 14.3x, and the highest it ever got in the last cycle was 15.4x. So hello? In just six short months, we have managed to take the multiple above the peak of the last cycle when the economic expansion was five years old, not five weeks old (and we may be a tad charitable on that assessment).
Should be enough to bring anyone back down to earth
Milan nel incubo!

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2009, 12:54:27 pm »
More like a zimmer frame!

Feels more like a carbon fibre motorised wheelchair to me!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline BazC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 26, 2009, 06:54:04 pm »

Offline matchoftheday

• Kopite
  • Dog
« Reply #238 on: October 7, 2009, 01:37:16 pm »
As some of you on here know, I am a recent graduate and looking to get into Investment Banking.

A contact has sent me a Bond pricer to get me underway - I have never had to price a bond before and on it there is a field entitled "DF (PV)" now I know that PV is present value does anyone know what DF means?

I don't know if I have included enough detail here, if not, please ask me for more as I could really do with a hand.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2009, 01:46:14 pm by matchoftheday »

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #239 on: October 7, 2009, 01:44:13 pm »
discount factor
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home