Author Topic: AC(squigglything)DC  (Read 39367 times)

Offline PaislyShankley

• Stranger in a strange land; vaguely Amish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Homophobic, apparently. Probably racist as well.
Re: AC(squigglything)DC
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 12:05:28 pm »
BTW, if anyone's interested, and it's an awful long time since I heard it (20 years or so), the High Voltage import is pretty much a blues album (1973 ish)
M'eh

Offline irishred1991

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96, YNWA
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 09:24:54 pm »
awesome
Liverpool is our religion,
Anfield is our church,
The Kop is our choir,
Fowler is our God.

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2008, 02:15:45 pm »
Ride On.  The greatest track by one of the best Heavy Metal bands on the planet - and it's blues.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline MarkML

• Kopite
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 04:34:30 pm »
Ride On.  The greatest track by one of the best Heavy Metal bands on the planet - and it's blues.

Oh YA!

actually on the topic of their more laid back songs Overdose is another good shout from Let There Be Rock, real good flow to it

Offline Andy G

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 04:45:31 pm »
Oh YA!

actually on the topic of their more laid back songs Overdose is another good shout from Let There Be Rock, real good flow to it

I will be playing these tonight.  This thread has really put me in an AC/DC mood.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline MarkML

• Kopite
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2008, 05:14:02 pm »
I will be playing these tonight.  This thread has really put me in an AC/DC mood.

haha i was thinkin the exact same thing mate!

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2008, 05:50:44 pm »
Greatest hard rock band ever?

No. Hard rock? DC? Really?

Not a big ACDC fan myself, tho due to certain recomendations above me I'll look out for Powerage - it's got a great cover so in my eyes it's fine. Been years since I've even heard a track of theirs - maybe I need a bit, but finest hard rock band... ooooh... pushing it (?).

They piss on Guns and Roses tho, but so did Shalamar.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2008, 07:40:51 pm »

Not a big ACDC fan myself, tho due to certain recomendations above me I'll look out for Powerage

Filler - As someone who recommends good music and stuff all the time i too will return the compliment by urging you, no DEMANDING that you get hold of Powerage!!

Its blasting out right now - pre Friday night piss up ;D

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2008, 08:10:37 pm »
Frankly, any Bon Scott AC/DC is worth getting hold of.  It has a certain 'swagger'...
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2008, 10:17:39 pm »
Frankly, any Bon Scott AC/DC is worth getting hold of.  It has a certain 'swagger'...

I think his 'swagger' was down to the very tight trousers that he always insisted on wearing!

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2008, 06:31:47 pm »
It's a Spinal Tap accutrement....!   ;D

I read a quote in an REALLY old music mag where Bon Scott said "I was married at the time when I first joined the band and my wife said: 'Why don't you write a song about me?' So I wrote 'She's got balls'. Then she divorced me."

"It's just rock and roll. A lot of times we get criticized for it. A lot of music papers come out with: 'When are they going to stop playing these three chords?' If you believe you shouldn't play just three chords it's pretty silly on their part. To us, the simpler a song is, the better, 'cause it's more in line with what the person on the street is."  — Angus Young

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 06:34:46 pm by Rox »
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Andy G

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2008, 07:05:01 pm »
I remmeber Angus being interviewed and they said to him "People are critical of AC/DC releasing 8 albums that all sound the same.  What would ou say to that?".  Angus' reply was "That's bollocks.  We have made nine of them!"

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2008, 07:44:11 pm »
No
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline andrewt67

• Kopite
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2008, 09:38:24 pm »
Been playing Back in Black, and Powerage all week in my car to and from work.

Fucking meltdown !!!!!

One thing to be said for AC/DC - you don't have to store the CD's in cling film to keep them fresh !!!!

Offline toomanysteves

• Kopite
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2008, 10:01:31 pm »
spent yesterday with my twin 20 month old boys playing old ac/dc albums to them. they liked who made who!!! super listening to their old albums again that i hadnt heard for a few years.really took me back, so good, still fresh just great great tracks unlike listening to some off their contemporaries albums now and it can be cringeworthy. hope to god they play ireland in the tour. it had been rumoured fo years taht they would play slane castle...now that would be some gig.
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends.

Offline Swedish_Red

• Kopite
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2008, 03:26:41 pm »

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2008, 03:49:24 pm »
I went to see ACDC on their Stiff Upper Lip tour at the NEC.  We were right at the front - I couldn't hear anything for days, and it took a while for the buzzing in the ears to subside.

The new ACDC single seems very late 80's DC - Stiff Upper Lip was very bluesy.

Offline Tattyreagh

• Main Stander
  • Imaginative Personal Text
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2008, 05:21:22 pm »
i've made this point in another thread but i think led zep were the greatest rock band ever with AC/DC in second place

Offline toomanysteves

• Kopite
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2008, 08:46:08 am »
this thread has really got me digging out my ac/dc stuff. sat down and watched Plud it In ...the dvd...the other day. what a band! you just forget about all the other classics. it is so easy to talk about back in black/highway to hell etc but the other songs like what do you do for money honey, dirty deeds, let there be rock...the list just goes on and on. top top class stuff. anyone heard what the tour dates are?
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends.

Offline Dromared

• Main Stander
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 10:42:13 pm »
Song for song Let there be Rock has to be the greatest AC/DC album of all time. Pure class start to finish.

The weakest song on it is whole lotta rosie which is saying something!

Also from the Family Jewels dvd the live version of Sin City recorded in some tv studio somewhere is fucking immense.

Anyone else seen it??

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2008, 01:05:18 pm »
Song for song Let there be Rock has to be the greatest AC/DC album of all time. Pure class start to finish.

The weakest song on it is whole lotta rosie which is saying something!

Also from the Family Jewels dvd the live version of Sin City recorded in some tv studio somewhere is fucking immense.

Anyone else seen it??

Some of the clips on that DVD are hilarious....a lot of it filmed on Countdown, an Aussie program I have many memories of watching. It was one of those shows that everyone remembers watching if they saw it.

Some GREAT clips of ACDC were shot in studio for Countdown and a number of them found their way onto that DVD.

And, yes, that vers. of Sin City is indeed immense....shot again in ABC (Australia) studios though this time not for Countdown. Ahh, Bon! What a legend you were.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2008, 03:51:53 pm »
It's a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll!

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2008, 09:50:52 pm »
Little known fact about AC / DC....them and Leapy  Lee ( Little Arrows !) supported T.Rex at a special one/ off gig in Wimbledon in 1976 that was filmed for LWT.

Years later I bought the original Phillips 1500 format T.V video recording of the show through an auction. It cost £100 then, be worth a fortune now, but that along with most of other videos were stolen from my flat in childwall.

The thieves must have just dumped the tape, cos that Phillips 1500 system was virtually obsolete in the mid 80's ( when it was nicked )

It was big squareish bulky cassette with the date of the gig ( July 13th '76 )  and LWT ( London Weekend Television ) stamped on it.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2008, 09:59:11 pm »
Little known fact about AC / DC....them and Leapy  Lee ( Little Arrows !) supported T.Rex at a special one/ off gig in Wimbledon in 1976 that was filmed for LWT.

Years later I bought the original Phillips 1500 format T.V video recording of the show through an auction. It cost £100 then, be worth a fortune now, but that along with most of other videos were stolen from my flat in childwall.

The thieves must have just dumped the tape, cos that Phillips 1500 system was virtually obsolete in the mid 80's ( when it was nicked )

It was big squareish bulky cassette with the date of the gig ( July 13th '76 )  and LWT ( London Weekend Television ) stamped on it.

Have you contacted the LWT [as they are now] to ask if they have a copy in their archive?

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2008, 11:00:27 pm »
Have you contacted the LWT [as they are now] to ask if they have a copy in their archive?

Once I bought the tape and realised it was not a VHS video I had copies made. Also the show is now available on pirate dvd, my main point is that I had such a rare and valuable item stolen.

You would think other ' master ' copies were available from LWT, but recently when clips of the show were included on an official T.Rex  DVD, they apologised for the poor quality as the original master could not be located !

It probably got binned in childwall over 20 years ago that's why !
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline simpleman

• Doesn't wash his willy
  • Anny Roader
  • Believer
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2008, 10:28:40 pm »
The new video for Rock n Roll Train can be seen on their official site
http://acdc.com/acdc101/
You won't be shocked to know its a video of them playing on stage with the odd bit of footage of train tracks. 

Offline andrewt67

• Kopite
« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2008, 07:25:21 am »
Anyone remember watching DC on Rock Goes To College all those years ago ???

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2008, 08:18:41 am »
Anyone remember watching DC on Rock Goes To College all those years ago ???
It's on the Pirate Bay, I got it a while back, it's really good !
I had forgotten that some bands could actually play good live.
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/3620458/AC_DC_-_Rock_Goes_To_College_(live_at_Essex_University__1977)
You will have to copy and paste the link in your browser otherwise it will go to Ebay for your inconvenience.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 08:20:36 am by Ron »

Offline slimshady

• Stupidista
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2008, 12:32:57 pm »
One word...Thunderstruck.....Live!!!

in Red Lion Stevenage where the lovely barmaid gives "the Saturday club" free jukebox credits :hally :wellinand maxes the volume!!

Soopa Doopa!

Offline TonyTheRed

• NosedReindeer has a very qwertycock....
  • Legacy Fan
  • I've got a little black book with my poems in
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2008, 12:53:19 pm »
AC/DC were good, but greatest ever???

Better than Zep, Sabbath, Judas Priest, Rainbow...I think not  :wave
like one day u will find out im not female :)

Offline MarkML

• Kopite
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2008, 02:00:07 pm »

with the exeption of zeppelin.ya.

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2008, 02:50:14 pm »

The other bands you mention are all more, ehm, bombastic, AC/DC are (just ?) over the top Rock and Roll.
The other bands wouldn't recognize Rock and Roll if it hit them in the face and introduced itself.
Although I have to say I, as Rock and Roller, love Priest's You've got another thing coming, that is sort of Rock and Roll too.

Offline Swedish_Red

• Kopite
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2008, 03:23:06 pm »
Just started to download the new record and have a can of beer ready to make it a good proper first listening. My mate says its as good as ever so I know what I´m doing for the rest of the day! ;D

Tickets for the Sweden gigs are available tomorrow and they will be here in February.

Life is so gooood!!

Offline NickoH

• Has to fart in private to avoid offending the posh guys and gals in the Marketing Dept
  • Legacy Fan
  • Speak softly love so no one hears us but the sky
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2008, 08:27:13 pm »
Huge advert for Black Ice in midtown Manhattan, taken during my recent NYC trip -

I clutch the wire fence until my fingers bleed,
A wound that will not heal, a heart that cannot feel.
Hoping that the horror will recede,
Hoping that tomorrow we'll all be freed.........JUSTICE.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2008, 08:47:55 pm »

Actually, I think they are better than all of the above.  Including Zep.

Offline Dromared

• Main Stander
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2008, 07:05:14 pm »
Any one have any info about uk tour dates???

they seem to be releasing tour dates on a rolling basis for the european dates. No mention of the UK tour yet but a quick google reveals that Glasgow birmingham and London may be on the list!

Anyone know any more details???

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2008, 10:54:00 pm »
Saw them on the Stiff Upper Lip tour.  HIGHLY recommended.

Offline Swedish_Red

• Kopite
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2008, 02:22:03 pm »
Any one have any info about uk tour dates???

they seem to be releasing tour dates on a rolling basis for the european dates. No mention of the UK tour yet but a quick google reveals that Glasgow birmingham and London may be on the list!

Anyone know any more details???

Nothing on their official site yet.

On Saturday when Swedish tickets went on sale they had only announced one concert in Stockholm and as that was sold out in 10 minutes they put up one more instantly (which was sold out in 20 minutes despite no advertising for it) so when they go on sale for you I recommend to keep an eye out for a quick second concert added at the same venue(s).

Will be a great weekend as I managed to get tickets to both! ;D

Really like the new album so far, anyone else who have downloaded it yet?

If you become a member at the official AC/DC website you will be able to buy 4 tickets to some chosen concerts before they go on general sale.
Might be worth it if you are four people sharing and are afraid of the concerts being sold out in a flash.

Good luck when they go on sale!

Hopefully they do the same as they did on the last tour and come back during the summer to play in the big arenas so I can see them again :)

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2008, 02:35:49 pm »
Listened to the new record and I think its very good disc - though I'll always have the proviso with any of their records these days 'no Bon Scott'. Yes, at times cartoonish, but hey, unlike a million other bands, at least they are paroding themselves.

Should be a big seller, not that they need the dosh.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2008, 02:55:49 pm »
though I'll always have the proviso with any of their records these days 'no Bon Scott'.

Eh?

Waiter!  I'd like some food, but don't bring me the good stuff.