Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12263575 times)

Offline zymespee

• pee? peed all over the caps lock key more like.....
  • Main Stander
  • once a red ,always a red
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve lads like?
« Reply #93680 on: July 18, 2017, 01:55:13 pm »
i have been reading this forum and i decided to join in..i always se people here talking about the size of players...it means nothing football isnt rugby and time and time again big teams have showed that they are more interested in technical players...yeah the size of a layer is relevant in certain positions...but you think aout and its just all not certain becuase the only defender to have won the world best was fabio cannavaro who was like 5 foot 8...i dont get from the clips i have watched of Dal Verasanovic..he will do great he seem to have that arrogance and he seem to be confident about his ability...for me its all about tenacity if any playr has it they can excel..its just ridiculous to look at someone and say because of their size they will be soft.if you walk on the streets thinking like this you will be smashed everyday by people you think are small....

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #93681 on: July 18, 2017, 02:17:33 pm »
ojo possibly off on loan to fulham.  guess that means he gets plenty of playing time and we get a shot at sessegnon next season.

or even this window ;D

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/10952769/fulham-agree-loan-deal-with-liverpool-for-sheyi-ojo

Fulham have agreed a deal with Liverpool to take winger Sheyi Ojo on a season-long loan, according to Sky sources.

Sky Sports News understands Ojo must now decide whether to join the Cottagers, Middlesbrough or Newcastle.

Ojo, who has previously spent time on loan at Wigan and Wolves, made just two FA Cup appearances for Liverpool last season and did not feature in the Premier League.

The 20-year-old started his career at Milton Keynes Dons before making the move to Anfield in 2011, where he linked up with the club's academy.

He made his first-team debut in the 2-2 third-round FA Cup draw with Exeter in January 2016 and subsequently scored his first goal for the club in the replay, a 3-0 victory for Liverpool.

Ojo has also represented England at U16, U17, U18, U19 and U20 level.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93682 on: July 18, 2017, 05:04:23 pm »
A few interesting names in here.

@youthhawk Liverpool first-year scholars 2017-18 #lfc #U18PL

Apart from Jones and Longstaff, looking forward to see Dixon-Bonner, Tagseth and Glaetzer at U18 level. Glaetzer was talked as being A good foil for Brewster at U16 level if I heard correctly. Raitanen, Obi and Varesanovic will be interesting to keep track of too
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #93683 on: July 18, 2017, 06:31:57 pm »
Fulton's joined Hamilton on a permanent deal. Hopefully he can have a similar impact as Ward did in Scotland.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93684 on: July 18, 2017, 08:16:17 pm »
u23s won their match against MTK Budapest 5-2

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93685 on: July 18, 2017, 08:27:01 pm »
No, I don't think that.  Just because you are small doesn't mean that you can't be a physical player.  At the end of the day, the players ability will determine whether they make it or not, it won't be their size.
Yes his ability will determine wheather he can make it or not and size is one of many attributes used to determine a players ability. A player being small is a disadvantage. Just like a player being one footed, having a weak shot or being slow. etc is a disadvantage.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93686 on: July 18, 2017, 08:40:23 pm »

i have been reading this forum and i decided to join in..i always se people here talking about the size of players...it means nothing football isnt rugby and time and time again big teams have showed that they are more interested in technical players...
It isn't sprinting or long distance running either but speed and stamina are important. It doesn't have to be either a tall player or a technical player you know.... you can have both! Mourinho at United is a good example. He has only signed one player under 6ft for Manchester United and he was 5'11. They also have the tallest team in the league. Juan Mata said last season that Mourinho intentionally signed 'strong, tall' players and that they practice corners alot to take advantage of this. Maybe someone should tell him it's not rugby?

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93687 on: July 18, 2017, 09:24:52 pm »
u23s won their match against MTK Budapest 5-2

Conor Masterson - so good they named him twice

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93688 on: July 18, 2017, 09:31:03 pm »
Fulton's joined Hamilton on a permanent deal. Hopefully he can have a similar impact as Ward did in Scotland.

Always really hard to make it through the ranks a goalkeeper at a big club, but I think the feeling was that Fulton was the best goalie we've had for a long time coming through the academy. Ward arrived as an 18 year old, I think.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93689 on: July 18, 2017, 09:44:10 pm »
Conor Masterson - so good they named him twice

;D

Good to see Brewster must be back from his injury he picked up pre-season training.  But apparently Juanma hasn't been so lucky.  I think he was injured towards the back end of last season, and either he's been released (doubt it after one season) or it must have been a bad one.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93690 on: July 18, 2017, 09:58:07 pm »
Yes his ability will determine wheather he can make it or not and size is one of many attributes used to determine a players ability. A player being small is a disadvantage. Just like a player being one footed, having a weak shot or being slow. etc is a disadvantage.

A player being small is not a disadvantage. The best player in the world is 5'9 for fucks sake.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #93691 on: July 18, 2017, 10:25:29 pm »
It isn't sprinting or long distance running either but speed and stamina are important. It doesn't have to be either a tall player or a technical player you know.... you can have both! Mourinho at United is a good example. He has only signed one player under 6ft for Manchester United and he was 5'11. They also have the tallest team in the league. Juan Mata said last season that Mourinho intentionally signed 'strong, tall' players and that they practice corners alot to take advantage of this. Maybe someone should tell him it's not rugby?

Did you WATCH them last season? Did it look more like Rugby or football?

Tall players have an advantage when you play a physically imposing, aerial transitions game. Small teams have an advantage in a high-paced pressing game.

Therefore it´s not surprising all the best players we target for our attacking positions tend to be small, agile with good acceleration and able to make quick sharp turns in tight spaces. That matches the exact style of football we need to implement. Big-fast players (eg. Benteke) tend to struggle in this system as they lack the agility and therefore everything they do seems 1/2 second too slow.

It´s why games against United are so interesting now from a tactical point of view. If we can impose our game on them (or anybody), we will throttle the life out of them. The bigger the side, the worse it will be. I think our biggest win last season was Watford which was also the biggest and heaviest team we played against.

The flip side of that is if United can impose their early long ball, win the knockdown high up the pitch and attack game on us, we have problems. That tactic beats our counter press when done well and allows them to get at us high up the pitch. They lack the nimble players to really do the damage they probably could to us, but it´s effective and allowing them to play in our half without having to play through us which they lack the players to do now.

What ends up happening is United can usually impose their physical game on us and that allows them to suffocate the life out of the game and turn it into a rugby match rather than a football match. If we sign VVD to attack the long balls and Keita to hoover up second balls next season it will limit the effectiveness of that tactic against us further still.

All that said though, your idea that size is as important as you imply is very 1970´s England. It´s the reason the likes of Roy Keane failed a trial as a teen before Notts Forest gave him a chance.

Dear Mr Keane

We regret to inform you we will not be offering you a contract following your trial period with the club. This is due to you being a shortarse. Shove it up yer bollix!

Regards,

Brighton & Hove Albion

Even King Kenny failed trials at English clubs due to his size back then. Fucking shambles.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Oside Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #93692 on: July 18, 2017, 10:45:17 pm »
He joined from Salt Lake in 2015 and now has been loaned back to them after two years at Melwood. Superficially, It doesn't look very bright for him. How was his performance?

Not great -- but he wasn't with a very good group of players (like 3rd team).  He was very good in the U20 World Cup though.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93693 on: July 18, 2017, 11:51:11 pm »
A player being small is not a disadvantage. The best player in the world is 5'9 for fucks sake.
Wrong again mate he's 6'1.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93694 on: July 18, 2017, 11:55:56 pm »
Wrong again mate he's 6'1.

You sure?

Personal information
Full name   Lionel Andrés Messi
Date of birth   24 June 1987 (age 30)
Place of birth   Rosario, Argentina
Height   1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)[1]

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93695 on: July 19, 2017, 12:24:56 am »
I'm wondering if Brewster being named is a mistake like with Masterson being named twice. Two weeks ago we found out that he was going to miss the start of the season with a broken foot, I don't think a broken foot would heal that quickly if we'd been storing the lad in a vat of miracle grow.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #93696 on: July 19, 2017, 07:49:27 am »

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93697 on: July 19, 2017, 10:27:51 am »
No, I don't think that.  Just because you are small doesn't mean that you can't be a physical player.  At the end of the day, the players ability will determine whether they make it or not, it won't be their size.

Sterling is a good example of this. Freakishly strong for his size. Incredibly difficult to push him off the ball.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Escorcio

• Kopite
« Reply #93698 on: July 21, 2017, 08:15:05 am »
City/Chelsea chickens really continuing to come home to roost
Jadon Sancho refusing to sign a contract, wanting to leave and has been sent home from a tour
Cheeky bid? We should be all over this
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arsenal-transfer-news-latest-tottenham-circle-city-jadon-sancho-break-down-a7851981.html

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93699 on: July 21, 2017, 08:16:39 am »
Jadon Sancho refusing to sign a contract, wanting to leave and has been sent home from a tour
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arsenal-transfer-news-latest-tottenham-circle-city-jadon-sancho-break-down-a7851981.html

Fucking sign him up. He's incredibly talented.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #93700 on: July 21, 2017, 08:40:58 am »

Apparently want to move back to London according to the article.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #93701 on: July 21, 2017, 08:45:06 am »
Fucking sign him up. He's incredibly talented.

I don't think we can sign any English talent for two years.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93702 on: July 21, 2017, 08:50:06 am »

He might be up for a professional contract now and might not fall under the youth player category. Not sure though. You may well be right.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93703 on: July 21, 2017, 08:52:56 am »
He might be up for a professional contract now and might not fall under the youth player category. Not sure though. You may well be right.

Yeah that's my understanding of it. We could sign him to a pro contract but not to a youth contract, similar to how we would've signed Sessegnon if he'd wanted to leave Fulham
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93704 on: July 21, 2017, 01:21:43 pm »

We can if it's on a professional contract similar to Solanke.  If this kid is 17 then we can sign him I believe. 

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93705 on: July 21, 2017, 04:24:54 pm »

Think this must be the killer point or we'd surely be in for him too.  In fact every club would be.

Does anyone else thing our new left back (Robertson) looks rather strikingly similar to a previous young left back of our (Jack Robinson)?

Offline Hoenheim

• Legacy Fan
  • Lovely cushioned header for Gerrard...
« Reply #93706 on: July 21, 2017, 05:56:20 pm »
Think this must be the killer point or we'd surely be in for him too.  In fact every club would be.

Does anyone else thing our new left back (Robertson) looks rather strikingly similar to a previous young left back of our (Jack Robinson)?
Speaking of forgotten fullbacks, what happened with McLaughlin, I remember he was highly rated at some point.
I love Emre Can more than both of my children. Fact

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #93707 on: July 21, 2017, 06:34:07 pm »
So did Kent go as part of the Stewart deal?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93708 on: July 21, 2017, 09:25:24 pm »
Speaking of forgotten fullbacks, what happened with McLaughlin, I remember he was highly rated at some point.

I thought he was terrific but too many tissue injuries ruined him getting long runs in the team, and his first loan spell, 6 months I think up at Aberdeen, was a disaster but not necessarily for injury reasons, he just hardly played.  Bit like Flanno last season.  Anyway, after being released last season he got picked up by Oldham.  I thought, when I read the odd snippet, that he was doing quite well there but Wikipedia says he only had 19 appearances so not sure.  He did better than Michael Ngoo though.  He was also at Oldham but never scored - not so good for a striker.   

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93709 on: July 21, 2017, 09:45:09 pm »
I thought he was terrific but too many tissue injuries ruined him getting long runs in the team, and his first loan spell, 6 months I think up at Aberdeen, was a disaster but not necessarily for injury reasons, he just hardly played.  Bit like Flanno last season.  Anyway, after being released last season he got picked up by Oldham.  I thought, when I read the odd snippet, that he was doing quite well there but Wikipedia says he only had 19 appearances so not sure.  He did better than Michael Ngoo though.  He was also at Oldham but never scored - not so good for a striker.
Seems to have been converted into a winger

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93710 on: July 21, 2017, 09:46:21 pm »
So did Kent go as part of the Stewart deal?

No.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93711 on: July 21, 2017, 11:46:52 pm »
Seems to have been converted into a winger
Makes sense seen as he couldn't defend.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93712 on: July 21, 2017, 11:48:08 pm »
I remember when he was being rated in here by some Rodolfo Borrell said he had alot of work to do to even make it as a pro and no surprise to see he was right.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:52:50 pm by dakid »

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93713 on: July 21, 2017, 11:51:30 pm »
Rumours he is going abroad tho. RB Leipzig were one club i heard linked with him.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93714 on: July 22, 2017, 07:57:42 pm »
Good to read that the U23s and U18s won today v. Rapid Vienna.  Shame they're not showing the matches.  Hope they'l. Have some highlights at some point.

Offline Floop

• Main Stander
« Reply #93715 on: July 22, 2017, 08:24:35 pm »
Gerrard's u18s doing work so far 7-0 vs Burton now 6-2 vs rapid wien   :D :D :D

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #93716 on: July 22, 2017, 08:25:30 pm »
That sounds impressive by the young Reds, lets hope it continues.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #93717 on: July 22, 2017, 08:39:00 pm »
Gerrard's u18s doing work so far 7-0 vs Burton now 6-2 vs rapid wien   :D :D :D
The secret to Gerrard's U18 management technique?. Just before they leave the dressing room, he says to them. "You are allowed to touch the hem of my garment".
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #93718 on: July 23, 2017, 07:12:21 am »
U18 scorers were Okera Simmons (2), Raitenen, Camacho, Curtis Jones and MacAuley.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #93719 on: July 23, 2017, 07:13:50 am »
Sam Hart pen, To I Gomes and Cam Bran for U23s in 3-1 win.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!