Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12299636 times)

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve lads like?
« Reply #93640 on: July 16, 2017, 07:01:46 pm »
I've always been super impressed by Jones as well. He looks to me like a clear standout in this upcoming group, like Woodburn was. Obviously Woodburn is a different level- he's still young enough to be in the 18s. But I expect him to take a huge step forward under Stevie this year.
To further your point, I'd compare him to a Coutinho type. Plays off the left but isn't a classic pacy Ojo type winger. Much more technical and has a playmakers guile.

Yeah you can definitely see the Coutinho influence just as you can in Woodburn. My Figo comparison was more in terms of his size and how he looks when doing things. Coutinho has that low center of gravity thing going on, whereas Jones is a lot taller and could probably grow another 5 inches before he even gets near the first team. I can see him ending up as a midfielder if that happens.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #93641 on: July 16, 2017, 07:07:00 pm »
Also remember reading a lot of hype about Varesanovic before we signed him. Here is the article announcing his signing. He looks about 11 in one of the pics.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/30/liverpool-beat-barcelona-to-transfer-of-dal-varesanovic-6672909/

I'd not heard of him until you posted that but looking at that video he appears to be technically very good. The style of player he looks most like is Coutinho.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a Ģ25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #93642 on: July 16, 2017, 07:09:48 pm »
Yeah you can definitely see the Coutinho influence just as you can in Woodburn. My Figo comparison was more in terms of his size and how he looks when doing things. Coutinho has that low center of gravity thing going on, whereas Jones is a lot taller and could probably grow another 5 inches before he even gets near the first team. I can see him ending up as a midfielder if that happens.
Figo works as well. Quite high praise for the lad but I think it works as a comparison for sure. He does seem like his future is in midfield based on his skill set and tendencies.
Paul Glatzel is another name I've heard rated highly. Believe he's a striker but maybe someone here has some more insight to offer on him.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #93643 on: July 16, 2017, 07:28:14 pm »
Figo works as well. Quite high praise for the lad but I think it works as a comparison for sure. He does seem like his future is in midfield based on his skill set and tendencies.
Paul Glatzel is another name I've heard rated highly. Believe he's a striker but maybe someone here has some more insight to offer on him.

Raitanenīs name looked familiar, I googled and he is the big center half that we signed from Finland in the summer. He was 15 and already 6'2 at the time. There are some pictures of him posing with Gerrard and Firmino from when he signed.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93644 on: July 16, 2017, 07:37:51 pm »
Emeka Obi was very highly rated when we signed him from Bury if I remember correctly

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93645 on: July 16, 2017, 07:40:00 pm »
And why can't he be loaned out to a other German club? Do you  believe they would be the only club in Germany interested in him?
Needs to be a team that has qualified for the Europa league or the CL. Something to do with the points system they use for work permits. Someone made a detailed post on it around this time last year.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93646 on: July 16, 2017, 07:47:56 pm »
Luis Longstaff has to make it just for the name alone.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93647 on: July 16, 2017, 07:52:15 pm »
So no Leighton Clarkson despite him getting England call ups. Think 15 is the max intake as well so might have been unlucky not to make it. Don't think there are any other known names to miss out

These intakes are based on school years while international youth football is based on calender years. Anyone with a September-December birthday would be in the same international age group as Longstaff, Glatzel, et all but will stays on schoolboy terms for the next domestic season. Clarkson's birth date isn't anywhere obvious online but I assume that is what is happening

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93648 on: July 16, 2017, 07:55:44 pm »
If true then he will be sold with a buy back clause.

He might as well just sign a new contract and go out on loan. Clearly we rate him or wouldn't be offering a contract.

Tell that to Andre Wisdom. I don't blame him for looking after himself, he's at a crucial stage in his career. If I was him I'd be trying to get away from us and playing regular football anywhere. He could easily drift into non-league if he's not careful, that'd be a shame for such a talented player.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93649 on: July 16, 2017, 08:06:28 pm »
At this rate we'd be quicker sending Allan on a 6-year loan to Portugal and waiting for him to get citizenship than waiting for a work permit. Don't think it's gonna happen for him here unfortunately, I remember reading the rules on the points system last year and thinking there was absolutely no chance he'd get one - surprised the club haven't come to the same conclusion.

He ain't getting into the national team, he won't get points on the basis of his transfer fee, he's unlikely to get points on the basis of his wages and to get points for appearances he needs to be playing 30% of all available minutes for a top 6 league team who are in European competition. Even if he were to manage that, he'd effectively have 2 points on the scale, and he needs 4. Basically in order for him to have any chance of getting a work permit we'd need to put him in the top half of wage earners at the club and hope he could make the appearance requirements.

He's a neat little player but I don't see how it happens to be honest.

Offline Derzyjudek

• Airliner recliner decliner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93650 on: July 16, 2017, 09:26:21 pm »
Luis Longstaff has to make it just for the name alone.
He was the one compared to Mesut Ozil by a Brazil youth coach last year.
Quote from: grifter

I'd rather take a belt sander to me cock and crush me own bollocks with a nut cracker than go within 100yds of her stinky flabby twat.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #93651 on: July 16, 2017, 09:28:24 pm »
cam bran's agent whipping up hubris again.  can't see him every getting higher than our under-23s.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-cameron-brannagan-stoke-derby-hull-a7843546.html

how can he expect to given assurances of a 'pathway to the first team'. That's nuts.  He's already behind younger players within the club.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93652 on: July 16, 2017, 09:49:48 pm »
how can he expect to given assurances of a 'pathway to the first team'. That's nuts.  He's already behind younger players within the club.

I think it's a fair ultimatum. If we can't offer him that (and we can't) then we're only offering him a new contract to get a bigger transfer fee down the line. It's exactly what we'd critisise a club like Chelsea for doing. If there is genuine interest from Championship clubs it probably is in his best interests to push for a move.

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93653 on: July 16, 2017, 09:53:53 pm »
Emeka Obi was very highly rated when we signed him from Bury if I remember correctly
Read something about him being the youngest or one of the youngest to play in the Johnstone paint trophy at 15. There was also a few videos of him playing youth football and he had these brilliant long passes - I can't find it on youtube though so it is possible that my memory is crap and this is all nonsense but such is life.
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #93654 on: July 16, 2017, 10:04:30 pm »
Longstaff aged 10.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9Syk3iNYr80" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9Syk3iNYr80</a>

We may hope Barca never come in for him :P

EDIT. Are those United shorts? Oh well, they can look on with envy too when he makes it :D

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #93655 on: July 16, 2017, 10:07:54 pm »
I think it's a fair ultimatum. If we can't offer him that (and we can't) then we're only offering him a new contract to get a bigger transfer fee down the line. It's exactly what we'd critisise a club like Chelsea for doing. If there is genuine interest from Championship clubs it probably is in his best interests to push for a move.

Agreed. Itīs a simple question of "do you think I will make it here".

Based on our squad and who is coming through who already look ahead of him, the honest answer is no.

So why extend my contract then? Better to let me go and pursue a career where I can make it.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #93656 on: July 16, 2017, 10:10:53 pm »

see I have no issue with him running his contract down, but I just don't see what sort of 'pathway' he expecs promised. He can see that players who are good enough and work hard and do what the coaches want, and learn, do get a chance here - unlike at clubs like Chelsea and City where their route is always blocked by huge money signings. But he can't expect any sort of promise as in 'you'll be in the first team squad if you sign' or 'you'll get to play such and such amount of cup games' or whatever. Maybe I'm just reading the assumptions in the article wrong.

If he wants out, then that's fair enough! 

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93657 on: July 16, 2017, 10:17:18 pm »
Yeah think Brannagan's time has come and gone, which just goes to show there is a large element of luck and timing when it comes to any youngster making it. I think he's a very good player but stylistically he's probably not a particularly natural fit for a Klopp midfield and his window for staking a claim was probably last season or even the one before with the squad light on depth and top-end competition. Now with us looking to bring in proven top quality it makes the first team harder than ever to break into and he's arguably seen lads like Woodburn and Ejaria move ahead of him in the pecking order anyway.

He's only 21 but I'm not sure he'd even get cup games this year with the emergence of Woodburn, so it's probably best for his own development to move on. As long as we're sensible about how any deal is structured.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93658 on: July 17, 2017, 12:46:27 am »
Name the players we should look out for.
Glatzel, Bonner or Obi are the interesting English players who have yet to play for our u18s I believe. The first two have been capped for England and Obi signed last year tho I don't believe he has ever been capped by England despite him being labeled the best talent in the country . Tagseth and Verbasovich have alot of hype around them so it will be interesting to see how they perform although one has to be concerned about Varesanovic size.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 12:53:06 am by dakid »

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93659 on: July 17, 2017, 01:00:57 am »
Barca were in for Varesanovic, he looks a real talent even if he does look like a 12-year-old

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #93660 on: July 17, 2017, 01:41:28 am »
Has all the makings of a really strong group for Stevie. Lots of prodigious attacking talent and a couple massive defenders. Hope they appreciate the opportunity they have to learn from him, should be a great dynamic down in the academy.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #93661 on: July 17, 2017, 02:18:21 am »
Need to sell all the talented youth kids with buy-back clauses. If the likes or Ojo, Kent or Wilson do move on, make sure we have a great option to buy them back if they do go on to improve and look class.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93662 on: July 17, 2017, 02:32:01 am »
see I have no issue with him running his contract down, but I just don't see what sort of 'pathway' he expecs promised. He can see that players who are good enough and work hard and do what the coaches want, and learn, do get a chance here - unlike at clubs like Chelsea and City where their route is always blocked by huge money signings. But he can't expect any sort of promise as in 'you'll be in the first team squad if you sign' or 'you'll get to play such and such amount of cup games' or whatever. Maybe I'm just reading the assumptions in the article wrong.

If he wants out, then that's fair enough!

That's probably a bit harsh. It's probably more about assurances than demands. I think that's probably quite common. If Klopp came to him and said that he's in his plans because he's one of his top prospects, then that would obviously make look staying here a better career move than it does look right now. It's all based around the fact that his chances look pretty slim right now and moving seems the better option, don't think anyone could really disagree with that.

I'd imagine it's not so much about him not being confident in his ability, more that half of making it at a top club is timing, seizing your chance when it comes, and it looks like that opportunity has sort of passed him by here.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93663 on: July 17, 2017, 02:38:53 am »
Yeah think Brannagan's time has come and gone, which just goes to show there is a large element of luck and timing when it comes to any youngster making it. I think he's a very good player but stylistically he's probably not a particularly natural fit for a Klopp midfield and his window for staking a claim was probably last season or even the one before with the squad light on depth and top-end competition. Now with us looking to bring in proven top quality it makes the first team harder than ever to break into and he's arguably seen lads like Woodburn and Ejaria move ahead of him in the pecking order anyway.

He's only 21 but I'm not sure he'd even get cup games this year with the emergence of Woodburn, so it's probably best for his own development to move on. As long as we're sensible about how any deal is structured.

Interesting that the recent 'will-he-make-it-here' discussion is about Chirivella and Brannagan. I haven't seen huge amounts of either of them, but from what I have seen they both look much more suited to a Brendan Rodgers death-by-football team than a Jurgen Klopp heavy metal one.

Both talented lads, but the timing is against them, quite apart from any separate question about whether or not they could ever be good enough.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
So what are these Youth/Reserve lads like?
« Reply #93664 on: July 17, 2017, 02:48:13 am »
Need to sell all the talented youth kids with buy-back clauses. If the likes or Ojo, Kent or Wilson do move on, make sure we have a great option to buy them back if they do go on to improve and look class.

Yeah, there's 1-2 guys each year we should be looking at doing that with but I don't think it's necessary for all. Guys like Branagan, Randall etc have talent but probably don't need one.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #93665 on: July 17, 2017, 02:53:10 am »
Interesting that the recent 'will-he-make-it-here' discussion is about Chirivella and Brannagan. I haven't seen huge amounts of either of them, but from what I have seen they both look much more suited to a Brendan Rodgers death-by-football team than a Jurgen Klopp heavy metal one.

Both talented lads, but the timing is against them, quite apart from any separate question about whether or not they could ever be good enough.

The question I ask myself is: "Are they better than Suso?"

In my view Suso looked more talented and got better results on loan than any other technical players we've had come through the ranks in recent years. And yet, not only did he not make it, he didn't make it and then went on to be a key player at Milan. And this was while Rodgers was still here.

It says a lot about the type of player that we're looking for right now. The likes of Suso and Luis Alberto, arguably better players than Brannagan or Chirivella, never really even got a look in here. So really, if you're a technical player with limited physical ability, you'd have to be at least a fair sight better than those players.

I reckon the only player we have that might fit those criteria is Woodburn, who honest to blog, is not as fast or as strong as the likes of Alexander-Arnold or Ojo, but is just so intelligent and so technically good that he doesn't look at all out of place.

Even putting all that aside, I think young players need to be as good as Woodburn or better, to really get a chance to prove their stuff at clubs the size of Liverpool. A lot of players, like Suso, are not good enough but will be good enough with enough game time in the right environment. That kind of environment isn't easy to come by, because all clubs, all coaches and all styles of play are not equal, and are not equally conducive to all player types and temperaments. Unfortunately, we don't have time for that, in most cases.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:56:14 am by Redcap »

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #93666 on: July 17, 2017, 02:55:06 am »
Yeah, there's 1-2 guys each year we should be looking at doing that with but I don't think it's necessary for all. Guys like Branagan, Randall etc have talent but probably don't need one.
Clauses to give up % of future profits are probably a better idea like we did with Insua in most instances. In cases where we think it is likely we will want to buy them again in future, then go with buy back clauses.

Offline SausageBE

• Kemlynite
« Reply #93667 on: July 17, 2017, 08:26:09 am »
Does your name stand for Sausage Berlin? :)
yes!  :)

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93668 on: July 17, 2017, 10:53:01 am »
yes!  :)

Nice one! Last time I was in Berlin I managed to eat sausages at four different places in one day. :D

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93669 on: July 17, 2017, 12:20:48 pm »
Nice one! Last time I was in Berlin I managed to eat sausages at four different places in one day. :D

*Sniggers*

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93670 on: July 17, 2017, 12:56:49 pm »
although one has to be concerned about Varesanovic size.
Why is there a need to be concerned about his size?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93671 on: July 17, 2017, 01:53:15 pm »
So no Leighton Clarkson despite him getting England call ups. Think 15 is the max intake as well so might have been unlucky not to make it. Don't think there are any other known names to miss out

Yes, surprised about Leighton Clarkson.   Not that I know him or have seen him play, just that I had heard he was quite good.  Also surprised not to see Jack Bearne.  Thought we'd signed him from Notts Co in April, unless his registration got caught up in the no new Academy signings business and was cancelled? 

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #93672 on: July 17, 2017, 02:10:21 pm »

Itīs a known fact that small players are shit at football.

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #93673 on: July 17, 2017, 02:21:47 pm »

Especially those South Americans..

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93674 on: July 17, 2017, 02:27:43 pm »
Yes, surprised about Leighton Clarkson.   Not that I know him or have seen him play, just that I had heard he was quite good.  Also surprised not to see Jack Bearne.  Thought we'd signed him from Notts Co in April, unless his registration got caught up in the no new Academy signings business and was cancelled?
Pretty sure he's an u16 this year. Actually, Clarkson could be the same.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93675 on: July 17, 2017, 03:04:23 pm »
Pretty sure he's an u16 this year. Actually, Clarkson could be the same.

Thanks, that's interesting.  Another one, Thomas Brini from Italy.  Didn't he since and isn't he meant to be 16?

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93676 on: July 17, 2017, 05:29:28 pm »

Figured as much.

Offline Oside Red

• Anny Roader
« Reply #93677 on: July 18, 2017, 04:25:42 am »
Watching Brooks Lennon play United on their American tour.  Is he highly thought of at the club, or is this loan probably a one-way ticket?

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93678 on: July 18, 2017, 11:12:05 am »
Well his manager has said "My teams will be physical" and that the "top level is physical and demanding" .Going to be hard for a very small player to make it in that environment do you not think? And that's before considering how physical underage football itself is.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93679 on: July 18, 2017, 12:46:23 pm »
Well his manager has said "My teams will be physical" and that the "top level is physical and demanding" .Going to be hard for a very small player to make it in that environment do you not think? And that's before considering how physical underage football itself is.

No, I don't think that.  Just because you are small doesn't mean that you can't be a physical player.  At the end of the day, the players ability will determine whether they make it or not, it won't be their size.