Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12301668 times)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve lads like?
« Reply #93560 on: July 13, 2017, 09:43:22 pm »
Suprised Chirivellas not more highly rated on here

Brilliant footballing brain that kid

He seems to be a very technically gifted player but is he athletic enough? That's my worry with him, I think he could have an excellent career in Spain or Italy though.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #93561 on: July 13, 2017, 11:44:54 pm »
It's not just tonight's game but in general I think Klopp right now rates Grujic and Trent highest of all our kids.

Grujic was desperately unlucky last season with two lengthy injury layoffs. I remember reading his interview recently in Serbian media where he was saying that it's no wonder he had those injury problems considering how intensity and amount of training and games was a whole level above anything he experienced prior. Think he's lot more robust right now and in much better position to compete for his place in the squad. His goals in preseason are a good start and something to build on.

Would definitely add Woodburns name to Kloppīs favourites list. He started him against Stoke aged just 17 and was a regular feature on the bench last season.

Iīll start what I am about to say with a caveat. It was pre-season and it was against Tranmere who are sadly way down the divisions now. But you can only beat what is in front of you. Also, senior pros donīt take these initial games very seriously and know itīs just about fitness. Firmino was nothing like the running machine we are used to in the Premier League. So itīs easy to stand out when you are in the best team and the experienced heads are leaving you to shine while they are just picking up some minutes match sharpness. All that said though...

Ojo & TAA ran the show in the first half. Ojo was a legitimate threat whether he was popping up on the left, right or center. Won the penalty, linked well with TAA... I wish we had something similar with a left footed full back & Kent on the left side. Flannaghan had a decent game but he will never offer what we need there to stretch play.

Second half, how do you pick from Woodburn, Kent & Solanke? As a one time fullback myself, I would hate to have Kent running at me. He (and Woodburn) genuinely appear to be completely two footed in terms of dribbing. They seem to run as fast with the ball as without. They have tricks but importantly, donīt use them for flash. Above all that though - they are effective. The amount of dangerous stuff played into the box by Ojo, Kent & Woodburn last night was exciting. Kent showed what happens when you take that same penetration and creativity from Barnsley pitches and put it to work with similar attacking talents. Mayhem.

Solanke looked like the Costa-lite we heard off. Although less of a physical presence, relying on his technique more. What technique though.

Woodburn though. If you told me he was a wily old pro winding down his career in midfield having been on the wing his whole career I would believe it. I donīt know where he picked up a career load of experience from but it definitely sets him apart from others of his age.

They need to do this against bigger tests than Tranmere of course. But Ojo looked great the tail end of 2015/16. Kent made a shite Barnsley side look, well,  slightly  less shite in the Championship and Woodburn has shown that composure and footwork everytime we have seen him so far. So I have no worries that they will.

My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #93562 on: July 14, 2017, 12:20:48 am »
That's the spirit.  We will have to be selective and make some tough decisions at some point though. At present, it looks like Trent and Ben are the most nailed on, but still too early even with them to get too carried away

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93563 on: July 14, 2017, 09:17:48 am »

It just seems to me that Chrivella is a very cultured player, but he just always lacks that intensity in his play. He doesn't look like the type of player that will make it big in the PL to be honest.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #93564 on: July 14, 2017, 09:29:58 am »
It just seems to me that Chrivella is a very cultured player, but he just always lacks that intensity in his play. He doesn't look like the type of player that will make it big in the PL to be honest.

Probably another Suso, will do well elsewhere....although having said that he's pretty small isn't he? usually if you're small you need something extra special.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93565 on: July 14, 2017, 09:50:18 am »
Probably another Suso, will do well elsewhere....although having said that he's pretty small isn't he? usually if you're small you need something extra special.

We haven't had much 'another suso's' to be fair, despite all the calls.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93566 on: July 14, 2017, 10:09:20 am »
BTW, it doesn't seem like there was much talk about him, but I thought Flanagan looked decent down the left. Granted, Tranmere wasn't going to give him much of a test, but his link up play looked good.

Wonder if Klopp will use him more this preseason. Would like to see him a bit more to be honest.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93567 on: July 14, 2017, 10:12:59 am »
I liked the aggressive nature of Flanagan. He's not the most technically gifted but he has impeccable timing and pushes up nicely. It was a big feature of his game under Rodgers. Let's see if he can do it against better opposition though and recapture that form.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #93568 on: July 14, 2017, 10:17:01 am »
Completely forgot about Flanno

If he can get back to that level he had in 13/14 then he's a more than adequate back-up at LB. A few nice problems for the manager to have hopefully.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93569 on: July 14, 2017, 11:18:28 am »

Suso was miles better than Chirivella has ever been. Suso gets way more stick on here than is merited.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93570 on: July 14, 2017, 11:19:14 am »
Also, has Ojo.... bulked up? Or is it just those new jerseys?

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93571 on: July 14, 2017, 11:27:11 am »
Suso was miles better than Chirivella has ever been. Suso gets way more stick on here than is merited.

As in a player who people thought was good but never made it here that's all , no comparison on ability (Although I think Suso was and is over rated)

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #93572 on: July 14, 2017, 11:52:25 am »
Also, has Ojo.... bulked up? Or is it just those new jerseys?

I thought that too - he looks far more of an unit. 

Online Raffio

• Kemlynite
« Reply #93573 on: July 14, 2017, 12:06:26 pm »
U18s currently 1-0 up against Burton at SGP. Not sure of the scorer or line-ups but a good start for Gerrard.

Online Raffio

• Kemlynite
« Reply #93574 on: July 14, 2017, 12:12:59 pm »
Now 2-0, only 15 minutes gone. The second goal scored by our number 10 if anyone is interested! LFC were training at SGP yesterday as well.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #93575 on: July 14, 2017, 12:26:37 pm »
Sounds a positive start. Any idea who No 10 is this season? Curtis Jones?
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online Raffio

• Kemlynite
« Reply #93576 on: July 14, 2017, 12:35:17 pm »
Sounds a positive start. Any idea who No 10 is this season? Curtis Jones?

Could be Jones actually, tall mixed race lad with a bit of a 'fro! He's been running the game to be fair, LFC have been all over them.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93577 on: July 14, 2017, 12:41:35 pm »
Could be Jones actually, tall mixed race lad with a bit of a 'fro! He's been running the game to be fair, LFC have been all over them.

Sounds like him.  Presumably you're watching it at Burton somewhere?  I see a Burt on twitter says it's 4-0 at 38 mins

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #93578 on: July 14, 2017, 12:47:32 pm »
Apparently 5-0 at Half time
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online Raffio

• Kemlynite
« Reply #93579 on: July 14, 2017, 12:50:30 pm »
They're playing at St George's Park. As I said, it's pretty one sided! Gerrard prowling along the touchline is obviously paying off!

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93580 on: July 14, 2017, 12:56:42 pm »
As in a player who people thought was good but never made it here that's all , no comparison on ability (Although I think Suso was and is over rated)

Maybe I'm misjudging the opinion of one or two folks on here and ascribing it to too many, but I thought that Suso was widely considered to be overrated/a bit of a dud on here. I'm open to correction. He was the second best player in that youth team behind Sterling and always looked like he'd have a career in top tier football. I don't think that can be said about Chirivella.

Edit: just googled him and found a story about him calling Enrique "gay" and getting fined by the FA and it causing a headache for Jen Chang after the Duncan Jenkins episode... LOL.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:59:39 pm by lamonti »

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93581 on: July 14, 2017, 01:12:29 pm »
I thought Ojo was a bit shite against Tranmere. Kept putting in weak crosses with his right foot, and showed very little composure once he got into dangerous areas.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93582 on: July 14, 2017, 01:18:33 pm »
This is turning into a bit of a rout at 6.  At least is should be a fairly young U18 since some of the second years were with the U23s on Wednesday (Coyle - who might have moved up an age group but he plays in the same position as Herbie Kane, Camacho, miller, simmonds).

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #93583 on: July 14, 2017, 02:04:39 pm »
I thought Ojo was a bit shite against Tranmere. Kept putting in weak crosses with his right foot, and showed very little composure once he got into dangerous areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPGaXli1uks

Watch that and see if you feel the same. Won a penalty, fed the ball to Grujic for his screamer and was by far our biggest threat in the first half. Everything dangerous ran through him.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #93584 on: July 14, 2017, 02:43:27 pm »
Apparently 5-0 at Half time

7-0 final score.  nice start for stevie g.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #93585 on: July 14, 2017, 02:50:51 pm »
read all about it

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/268394-gerrard-off-to-a-winning-start-as-u18s-boss

Steven Gerrard took charge of Liverpool U18s for the first time as his side beat Burton Albion 7-0 at St George's Park on Friday.

In a behind closed doors pre-season friendly, Liam Millar and Rafael Camacho both netted double strikes.

Further goals came courtesy of Curtis Jones, Luis Longstaff and a penalty from Adam Lewis.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #93586 on: July 14, 2017, 03:54:01 pm »
Well, that's one way to start a new career. Long may it be so.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93587 on: July 14, 2017, 04:00:35 pm »
Rafa Camacho

What a great name. He sounds like he could be leading a coup

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93588 on: July 14, 2017, 04:20:01 pm »
Rafa Camacho

a coup Comacho? a coup comacho

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #93589 on: July 14, 2017, 04:21:13 pm »
Rafa Camacho

Still think Luis Longstaff takes some beating.
Or Eddie Toxteth.
Or Yann "Kedoodle" Dhanda.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93590 on: July 14, 2017, 04:29:45 pm »
a coup Comacho? a coup comacho

Der der der der der de-de da!

Mexican classic

Not that I'm comparing him to a cockroach

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93591 on: July 14, 2017, 04:41:53 pm »
Der der der der der de-de da!

Mexican classic

Not that I'm comparing him to a cockroach

great minds

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93592 on: July 14, 2017, 05:38:40 pm »

Always seemed to play it extremely safe and not really show anything out of the ordinary, played well vs Tranmere though.
Iīll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93593 on: July 15, 2017, 09:19:35 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPGaXli1uks

Watch that and see if you feel the same. Won a penalty, fed the ball to Grujic for his screamer and was by far our biggest threat in the first half. Everything dangerous ran through him.
Fair enough, much better after he switched over to the left. Don't like him on the right at all, counted atleast 5 powder puff crosses. And doesn't seem to get any power on his shots when he comes inside on his left.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93594 on: July 15, 2017, 12:42:27 pm »
Is there any line up/squad info for the u18s game other than the scorers?

Offline Notfromaroundhere

• Kopite
« Reply #93595 on: July 15, 2017, 01:54:01 pm »
The thing I like about Ojo now is the development he's showing in terms of movement off the ball, as well the improved tempo in his game. He's now moving the ball quickly instead of having a cuddle with it, and being more distinct when he decides to go at the defender.

But the big thing is his movement without the ball, especially making runs in behind the defence. This is absolutely vital if you want to play as a winger in this Liverpool team, and at top level in general I guess. Wingers who only affect the game with the ball are basically useless, unless they have extreme on-ball qualities. And Ojo did really well here against Tranmere. Really showing some clear signs of development that potentially makes him an interesting option as the 3rd/4th winger in the squad.

This is something Ryan Kent needs to learn as well. He's pretty good when he has the ball, but not really doing much without it.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93596 on: July 15, 2017, 03:43:10 pm »
Woodburn will be a starter by 19, he looks that good
.... vs Tranmere. Let's give him time and not get ahead of ourselves. I have seen comments like yours alot over the last few years with the likes of Ojo, Rossiter, Wilson and Gomez and none of them are anywhere near being starters now and none may even be at the club when the transfer window closes.

What position do you think Woodburn will take if he does end up being a starter at Liverpool?

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93597 on: July 15, 2017, 03:53:42 pm »
It's not just Tranmere, it was Wigan now too and that's before considering last season. I genuinely think Woodburn is as good as any prospect to come out of the academy in the last decade or so bar Sterling. Think he's probably more comparable to Suso in terms of talent but a different skillset. I think Woodburn's future is as a central midfielder and could easily see him taking over the Lallana role when he's 22-23 years old. By then Lallana will be close to retiring. But if he makes it as a CM he could very well be up against Coutinho and Keita and he's not beating them out, especially as a teenager.

I think Ojo won't make it in our first team but could be a Premier League talent. He just doesn't make good enough decisions IMO and while he's got plenty of time to improve I think you get a pretty good inkling by now and I don't think he's got what it takes to make it for us. That's a very select group so no shame in that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:55:45 pm by DanA »
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93598 on: July 15, 2017, 06:22:13 pm »
.... vs Tranmere. Let's give him time and not get ahead of ourselves. I have seen comments like yours alot over the last few years with the likes of Ojo, Rossiter, Wilson and Gomez and none of them are anywhere near being starters now and none may even be at the club when the transfer window closes.

What position do you think Woodburn will take if he does end up being a starter at Liverpool?

He's different to the players you've named in fairness. Woodburn is a Sterling level talent whereas those others are the level below that. It would be true to say he's benefited from the lack of squad depth last season but I'm sure he'll still be around the first team squad in this coming season with a more than reasonable amount of game time for his age.

Regarding your second comment I think he ends up as the most attacking player in a midfield 3, the sort of role Lallana played last season. His versatility will help him get game time though in the next few seasons.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:24:15 pm by sminp »
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a Ģ25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93599 on: July 15, 2017, 06:46:14 pm »
Chirivella reminds me of Fabregas, I don't think he's quite on his level but he's clearly a very talented, technical player who isn't a great athlete. I think he's one of a number of players (Wilson, Kent, Ojo and others) who we might keep around the club for longer than we've kept previous prospects because they all have the potential to be truly great players but chances are they'll never get to that level. They're all really interesting prospects, all capable of becoming CL level players but all likely to become Championship players.