Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 275215 times)

Offline jiky

• Rafa's monkey shoulder
  • Legacy Fan
  • i think i want to die.someone shoot me
pijes lepsi pivo!
found some urquells in my local stuck behind a bunck of crappers. paid over the top but its aroma is like a freshly corked bottle of wine.
im off to switzerland,baby. Wanna assist?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Canada Loves Anfield

• Everything you do is a balloon
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Under a Liverbird
This is a good Toronto pilsner (which gives free beer at their brewery conveniently located to 2 of our important sports stadia - thus always a good pre drink)
If it acts like a cock and a banner appears on the kop with its name written down the shaft of a cock, it probably is...

Liverpool FC - Toronto Supporters Club: http://lfctoronto.com/

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
Pissed off getting shitty lager hangovers so this thread has convinced me to nip round the offy and get some proper Beer/Bier for the match tonight.

There's a good selection round there and I like belgian stuff and I agree with Corkboy about Moretti, can someone recommend one I haven't tried yet?

I was at a food festival over Easter and this brewery were there, had a pint with them and it was really good:

http://www.realalepub.co.uk/brewer.php?brewerId=16
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan

Drank a can of that once, tasted like bear piss ;D. I usually drink Heineken as it's the top beer of a very poor bunch available here in Malta. When available I prefer Beck's to it though!

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
Bought a new keg of Franziskaner Weißbier for my beer tap machine at the weekend. Mmmm.

I'd also like to say that the likes of Heineken, Stella etc. don't belong in this thread.
DAMMIT!

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Drank a can of that once, tasted like bear piss ;D.

That is some proper shit.

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
Bought a new keg of Franziskaner Weißbier for my beer tap machine at the weekend. Mmmm.

I'd also like to say that the likes of Heineken, Stella etc. don't belong in this thread.
where do you get that from mate?
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
I had a big, champagne style bottle of Leffe for the match last night, then had to resort to stella and it tasted fucking horrible.
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline marvellous10

• Legacy Fan
And if you're after something different try Budweiser Budvar's new dark ale they're selling by bottle
Still to see this in shops, had normal Budvar which is only 2nd to PilsnerUrquell. I practically drank the Czechs dry when I went over, can't get enough of it. Although will be trying out some of the German stuff.

I think the hangover thing's a myth, I was drinking the PilsnerUrquell/Dark Budvar (about 12/15 500ml bottles) and woke up with a banging head!  :(
SoS #364

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
I think the hangover thing's a myth, I was drinking the PilsnerUrquell/Dark Budvar (about 12/15 500ml bottles) and woke up with a banging head!  :(

Drinking better beer won't make you hangover free, particularly if you have 15 pints, but it's nothing compared to the misery inflicted by 15 pints of Carling/Bud/Heineken poison.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
where do you get that from mate?

The Karstadt store at Münchener Freiheit. Not sure whether it's available in the UK.
DAMMIT!

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
I had a big, champagne style bottle of Leffe for the match last night, then had to resort to stella and it tasted fucking horrible.

;D

Not surprised. That Leffe is pretty potent stuff, ya know - had a couple of bottles round a mate's house a while back and felt somewhat light-headed afterwards.
DAMMIT!

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
I had a few bottles of Grolsch last night (Hops, Malted Barley & Water) and feel fine today!
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
The Karstadt store at Münchener Freiheit.

Oh right i'll just nip over there then :D
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I had a few bottles of Grolsch last night (Hops, Malted Barley & Water) and feel fine today!

Had alot of them myself last night, my eyes felt like they were going to fall out this morning ;D No where near as bad as normal though

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Mickey's is the best American beer I've tasted. It comes in a cool bottle too.

« Last Edit: April 3, 2008, 04:31:12 pm by theCanadian »
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
^ Looks like apple juice

Offline Regi

• mental
  • Legacy Fan
  • We're caught in a Trap
Choice is pretty limited over here, though I stay away from the guaranteed head splitters.
Corona, Coors Lite, Brahma, Cobra or Kronenburg seem to have less of a killer effect next day.

the Canadian, I was in Newfoundland recently and they had stuff called India Beer...tatsed very good and no problems next day
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come
Lester Freamon

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan

A very cheap and very good beer IMO!! It's a pity that it's difficult to find it down here :-\

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Grolsch not cheap around here! Nice though- and I can confirm that Grolsch and Heineken I was on about earlier in the thread had the hops etc listed as ingredients, not as the 'contains' hops etc.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
Grolsch not cheap around here! Nice though- and I can confirm that Grolsch and Heineken I was on about earlier in the thread had the hops etc listed as ingredients, not as the 'contains' hops etc.

A bottled pint is less than one euro here mate! :D I usually drink Heineken as it's available everywhere down here. What do you all think about it lads?

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
I can confirm that....Heineken I was on about earlier in the thread had the hops etc listed as ingredients, not as the 'contains' hops etc.

Until you post a pic of that, I won't believe it.

Offline Rafadagaffer

• Kopite
  • Walk on Walk on..
I drank Fransinkaner(sp) for the first time over the weekend.

5 bottles for a tenner, lovely stuff too  :hally
I think we have some posibilities, no?

Offline Jase

• Legacy Fan
  • A Liverbird upon my chest.
I'm a big fan of Erdinger and Leffe, really filling and more of a beer that you can enjoy rather than just knock back.

Might get myself down to Lidl or Aldi and investigate the German, Belgian selection :)
......and could he play!

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Until you post a pic of that, I won't believe it.

WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS OF GROLSCH PREMIUM LAGER?
Grolsch owes it outstanding quality by using only natural ingredients; water, malted barley and hops.

http://www.grolsch.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=17

Offline JohnnyDrama

• hey new members to RAWK: He's a really really annoying feedback tourist and thick. If you dont believe me, he even admitted it himself. Post-match angler
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
Toohys extra dry for me or Becks, Caronas or good old jager bombs
Greatest Band in the world.

www.myspace.com/brandnew

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Joshytoohotty

• Potty Mouth
  • Legacy Fan
Heineken is nice lager, people are talking shite who say it's on the same level as Carling and Carlsberg for shitness.

Glad someone has proven that point.
They only drink water and bottles of coke, the Everton boys are a joke...

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
I have taken to Smithwicks lately, purely by accident.

Was having a BBQ one day, felt like a beer, and went to check the fridge. All that was there was some smithwicks leftover from a party.

Fuck it, I thought, I'll try one.

Now I tend not to enjoy a larger too much in the sun, as once heat gets at it, it quickly starts to taste sour and gassy, and then flattens very quickly. But the Smithwicks was lovely. Light, mild flavoured, refreshing.

I've tried a few since, to make sure it wasn;t just the nice day / thirst for alcohol effect, and I've enjoyed them every time.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline paulsi

• Kopite
heineken is now 5% like on the continent and is imported ,not like the old shite
betfair refer and earn its simple free £20 each when you use this code  w4wvdxlph

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
I have taken to Smithwicks lately, purely by accident.

Drank it from 16 to maybe 18 then went to something else. Would never consider it now, although I do drink bitter in the UK sometimes and that's a similar drink.

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Heineken is nice lager, people are talking shite who say it's on the same level as Carling and Carlsberg for shitness.

Glad someone has proven that point.

Nobody has proven fuck all. I await some evidence that Heineken (a) claims to have proper ingredients and (b) is actually telling the truth. They, along with pretty much every other large scale brewer, are McNastys.

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Heineken ingredients
Heineken beer is made from the purest ingredients. We use only water, malted barley, hops and yeast.

http://www.heinekeninternational.com/products_brands_brewing_beer.aspx

Online Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Heineken ingredients
Heineken beer is made from the purest ingredients. We use only water, malted barley, hops and yeast.

http://www.heinekeninternational.com/products_brands_brewing_beer.aspx

I withdraw my disbelief, and apologise to anyone I doubted.

Do you believe the fuckers, though?

Offline WorldChampions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Fuck knows, I'm not even that arsed ;D

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Anyone tried Quilmes over here?

Tried it a few years back, then bought some while supporting the Argies during the Copa America. You can drink gallons of the stuff.

It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
paulaner beer is top class,anyone know if it can be bought in ireland? its brewed in munich i think?

sure, can be bought in many offies, and bars, well in dubland anyway!

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
im not too picky, but i hate the crap in most irish bars..
i prefer:

makes me happy.. :D

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Had a keg of Heineken... I've got it in my hand as I speak (empty!) with ingredients listed as: Water, Malted Barley, Hops.

Why would I lie?! It was nice on tap as well even though my first few pints poured were shite  :P
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”