Author Topic: War on Drugs  (Read 105793 times)

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
Re: War on Drugs
« Reply #720 on: June 3, 2017, 01:37:04 pm »
I don't get why he chopped it off, had he ran out of weed and wanted something to smoke?

You are looking for a logical answer to this question?

Weed made him do this just as absinthe made Van Gogh cut off his ear. 
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Red an White Tea Party

• Anny Roader
  • How d'ya like them Onions barca?
« Reply #721 on: June 10, 2017, 11:57:37 pm »
Some days ago when may was a bit cockier the Home office reached out to Lord Monson for a report into regulation. They seem to prefer his entirely lacking in science background to Professor Nutt. Lord Monson wants to see 'Skunk' as class A (THC higher than 15% with little CBD's) but with other more traditional types of Cannabis regulated. Its a lash up, but progress nonetheless.
 Despite his lack of knowledge, Lord Monson has engaged the government on this and gets us in the door. Sadly he has had to endure dog's abuse from Pro Cannabis supporters who expect legalisation on their terms entirely.
At least if he moves the 'debate' on he has done a service to many people.

https://www.clear-uk.org/why-is-clear-supporting-lord-monson-in-his-campaign-against-so-called-skunk/
If you ask Smalling and Brown if they'd rather play Suarez or Carroll, they'd say Suarez all day long, because he's not going to bully them or run in behind them.

Offline Hudson66

• The Kia Ora Man - too orangely for RAWK
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #722 on: June 11, 2017, 11:05:02 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-40125181/father-skunk-caused-my-son-to-cut-off-his-penis

How is this on the BBC news most viewed?

Reefer madness. BBC with their own agenda shows that any sensible, educated conversation about cannabis in the UK Is doomed.

This is the how the original story was reported.....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/student-who-cut-penis-stabbed-5260848

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #723 on: June 11, 2017, 01:49:15 pm »
Reefer madness. BBC with their own agenda shows that any sensible, educated conversation about cannabis in the UK Is doomed.

This is the how the original story was reported.....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/student-who-cut-penis-stabbed-5260848

There is no mention of cannabis, only meow meow, in the original article - and alcohol.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #724 on: June 11, 2017, 06:52:44 pm »
"drink and alcohol-fuelled attack" 
Lethal these when taken together.
Without knowing what the drink component was its wrong to make assumptions. It could have been Gatorade or Red Bull. He could have been off his head on caffeine or sugar rushing too!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:03:12 pm by Red an White Tea Party »
If you ask Smalling and Brown if they'd rather play Suarez or Carroll, they'd say Suarez all day long, because he's not going to bully them or run in behind them.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: June 12, 2017, 12:21:05 pm »
Historically, people who golf have killed more people than people who smoke weed.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #726 on: June 14, 2017, 03:15:04 pm »

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #727 on: June 14, 2017, 03:26:44 pm »

Saw this in either 13th or I Am Not Your Negro. Blew my mind.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #728 on: June 14, 2017, 03:54:37 pm »

Weed made him do this just as absinthe made Van Gogh cut off his ear.

I don't know if I'm lining myself up for a 'whoosh' here, but surely mental illness 'made' van Gogh cut off his ear. Or else every Absinthe drinker would be sporting just one ear.

Saying all that, I hate skunk. After merrily smoking block and fairly low-grade grass regularly for about 20 years with no noticeable long-term effects, I switched to green out of necessity about 6/7 years ago when it became near impossible to get block. Didn't notice at first, but it was fucking my memory up big time - and my happiness state/confidence went gradually downhill; not to full blown depression levels but that 'I can't seem to find inner peace' nagging concern, and both unable to remember even simple words that were on the tip of my tongue, and completely forgetting what I was saying mid-sentence (happened a few times when I was in meetings with clients).

I quit it. Went a week before the psychological withdrawals began to build. I was about a month free when I bumped into an old mate who said he could get some pollum. Bought an ounce for a lot more than an ounce of resin. It wasn't pollum. But it was [I reckon] Nederhash, and fucking strong. I was trying to cut down anyway and this was a much better high full stop. It lasted me near enough a year and, although I didn't return to my previous happy & sharp self, it was like a veil being lifted off.

That ran out about 8 weeks ago. Just before it did, I texted the same mate to see if he could get any more, but he said the lad had stopped doing it full stop. I've been in two minds (no, not that way) whether to bother chasing round for some more. The thought of going through summer without a smoke terrifies me. But then, I'm feeling even better mentally now (even if, once the missus & kids are tucked up asleep in bed, I miss that last hour or so being zoned watching telly)

Tough choice.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #729 on: June 14, 2017, 06:51:12 pm »
I really like Under the Pressure, cracking tune!

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: June 22, 2017, 08:23:02 am »
2452 reported murder victims in Mexico in May alone. Absolutely crazy numbers. Heard it on the radio this morning and just wanted to share it with you.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-murder-investigations-in-mexico-hit-record-high-in-may-2017-6?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #731 on: June 22, 2017, 09:05:07 pm »

What the fuck?
2452 reported murder victims in Mexico in May alone. Absolutely crazy numbers. Heard it on the radio this morning and just wanted to share it with you.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-murder-investigations-in-mexico-hit-record-high-in-may-2017-6?r=US&IR=T&IR=T
What the actual fuck?

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: June 27, 2017, 06:13:58 pm »
There's been a few deaths from (allegedly) a strong batch of MDMA (I say allegedly because MDMA doesn't usually kill; it's either overhydration or another chemical cut with the drug).

It's time to regulate or roll-out drug testing kits at all festivals/clubs (to test the drug not the user).  I've had a few hairy moments in the past when an E has turned out to have been something else. 
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: June 29, 2017, 12:25:55 pm »
There's been a few deaths from (allegedly) a strong batch of MDMA (I say allegedly because MDMA doesn't usually kill; it's either overhydration or another chemical cut with the drug).

It's time to regulate or roll-out drug testing kits at all festivals/clubs (to test the drug not the user).  I've had a few hairy moments in the past when an E has turned out to have been something else. 

It's so long overdue - I remember going to Amsterdam for the first time about 14 years ago and you could buy them easily there. Let us have these and have a good time without the senseless deaths eh.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #734 on: July 13, 2017, 01:44:04 am »
Apparently a 'new' UK drugs strategy will be published on Friday 14th July
Summer of Love anyone?!

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #735 on: August 5, 2017, 06:06:24 pm »
Re the John Ehrlichmam look up Nixon's political advisor, Lee Atwater's interview where blew the lid on the southern strategy.
He tslked about how you couldn't use nigger nigger nigger any more, as it'd see you lose but instead they'd use terminology that was a dog whilstle to whites when it came to harming blacks politically. Terms like Welfare or bussing rights and they knew what was meant.

**edit** he was regan's advisor.

« Last Edit: August 5, 2017, 06:16:19 pm by Johns_Barn »

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: August 5, 2017, 06:07:24 pm »
Re the John Ehrlichmam look up Nixon's political advisor, Lee Atwater's interview where blew the lid on the southern strategy.
He tslked about how you couldn't use nigger nigger nigger any more, as it'd see you lose but instead they'd use terminology that was a dog whilstle to whites when it came to harming blacks politically. Terms like Welfare or bussing rights and they knew what was meant.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Here it is:

https://youtu.be/X_8E3ENrKrQ

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: August 5, 2017, 07:28:48 pm »

**edit** he was regan's advisor.

With Obama the Republicans went after 'food stamps'.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: August 14, 2017, 11:17:10 am »
Big Pharma smashing the Gun Industry in the race to kill as many Americans as possible.

Don't blame addicts for America's opioid crisis. Here are the real culprits - Chris McGreal

America’s opioid crisis was caused by rapacious pharma companies, politicians who colluded with them and regulators who approved one opioid pill after another

Of all the people Donald Trump could blame for the opioid epidemic, he chose the victims. After his own commission on the opioid crisis issued an interim report this week, Trump said young people should be told drugs are “No good, really bad for you in every way.”

The president’s exhortation to follow Nancy Reagan’s miserably inadequate advice and Just Say No to drugs is far from useful. The then first lady made not a jot of difference to the crack epidemic in the 1980s. But Trump’s characterisation of the source of the opioid crisis was more disturbing. “The best way to prevent drug addiction and overdose is to prevent people from abusing drugs in the first place,” he said.

That is straight out of the opioid manufacturers’ playbook. Facing a raft of lawsuits and a threat to their profits, pharmaceutical companies are pushing the line that the epidemic stems not from the wholesale prescribing of powerful painkillers - essentially heroin in pill form - but their misuse by some of those who then become addicted.

In court filings, drug companies are smearing the estimated two million people hooked on their products as criminals to blame for their own addiction. Some of those in its grip break the law by buying drugs on the black market or switch to heroin. But too often that addiction began by following the advice of a doctor who, in turn, was following the drug manufacturers instructions.

Trump made no mention of this or reining in the mass prescribing underpinning the epidemic. Instead he played to the abuse narrative when he painted the crisis as a law and order issue, and criticised Barack Obama for scaling back drug prosecutions and lowering sentences.

But as the president’s own commission noted, this is not an epidemic caused by those caught in its grasp. “We have an enormous problem that is often not beginning on street corners; it is starting in doctor’s offices and hospitals in every state in our nation,” it said.

Opioids killed more than 33,000 Americans in 2015 and the toll was almost certainly higher last year. About half of deaths involved prescription painkillers. Most of those who overdose on heroin or a synthetic opiate, such as fentanyl, first become hooked on legal pills.

This is an almost uniquely American crisis driven in good part by particular American issues from the influence of drug companies over medical policy to a “pill for every ill” culture. Trump’s commission, which called the opioid epidemic “unparalleled”, said the grim reality is that “the amount of opioids prescribed in the US was enough for every American to be medicated around the clock for three weeks”.

The US consumes more than 80% of the global opioid pill production even though it has less than 5% of the world’s population. Over the past 20 years, one federal institution after another lined up behind the drug manufacturers’ false claims of an epidemic of untreated pain in the US. They seem not to have asked why no other country was apparently suffering from such an epidemic or plying opioids to its patients at every opportunity.

With the pharmaceutical lobby’s money keeping Congress on its side, regulations were rewritten to permit physicians to prescribe as many pills as they wanted without censure. Indeed, doctors sometimes found themselves hauled before ethics boards for not supplying enough.

Unlike most other countries, the US health system is run as an industry not a service. That gives considerable power to drug manufacturers, medical providers and health insurance companies to influence policy and practices.

Too often, their bottom line is profits not health. Opioid pills are far cheaper and easier than providing other forms of treatment for pain, like physical therapy or psychiatry. As Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia told the Guardian last year: “It’s an epidemic because we have a business model for it. Follow the money. Look at the amount of pills they shipped in to certain parts of our state. It was a business model.”

But the system also gives a lot of power to patients. People coughing up large amounts of money in insurance premiums and co-pays expect results. They are, after all, more customer than patient. Doctors complain of patients who arrive expecting a pill to resolve medical conditions without taking responsibility for their own health by eating better or exercising more.

In particular, the idea has taken hold, pushed by the pharmaceutical industry, that there is a right to be pain free. Other countries pursue strategies to reduce and manage pain, not raise expectations that it can simply be made to disappear. In all of this, regulators became facilitators. The Food and Drug Administration approved one opioid pill after another.

As late as 2013, by which time the scale of the epidemic was clear, the FDA permitted a powerful opiate, Zohydro, onto the market over the near unanimous objection of its own review committee. It was clear from the hearing that doctors understood the dangers, but the agency appeared to have put commercial considerations first.

US states long ago woke up to the crisis as morgues filled, social services struggled to cope with children orphaned or taken into care, and the epidemic took an economic toll. Police chiefs and local politicians said it was a social crisis not a law and order problem.

Some state legislatures began to curb mass prescribing. All the while they looked to Washington for leadership. They did not get much from Obama or Congress, although legislation approving $1bn on addiction treatment did pass last year. Instead, it was up to pockets of sanity to push back.

Last year, the then director of the Centers for Disease Control, Tom Frieden, made his mark with guidelines urging doctors not to prescribe opioids as a first step for chronic or routine pain, although even that got political pushback in Congress where the power of the pharmaceutical lobby is not greatly diminished.

There are also signs of a shift in the FDA after it pressured a manufacturer into withdrawing an opioid drug, Opana, that should never have been on sale in the first place. It was initially withdrawn in the 1970s, but the FDA permitted it back on to the market in 2006 after the rules for testing drugs were changed. At the time, many accused the pharmaceutical companies of paying to have them rewritten.

Trump’s opioid commission offered hope that the epidemic would finally get the attention it needs. It made a series of sensible if limited recommendations: more mental health treatment people with a substance abuse disorder and more effective forms of rehab.

Trump finally got around to saying that the epidemic is a national emergency on Thursday after he was criticised for ignoring his own commission’s recommendation to do so. But he reinforced the idea that the victims are to blame with an offhand reference to LSD.

Real leadership is still absent – and that won’t displease the pharmaceutical companies at all.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/13/dont-blame-addicts-for-americas-opioid-crisis-real-culprits
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #739 on: August 31, 2017, 11:30:55 am »

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: September 6, 2017, 12:14:34 pm »
So deep are the roots of anti-black racism in the states suddenly all the whites that are dying left, right and center are now being painted as complete victims. In fact the opioid death rate has been buried for years. Iirc some states have more deaths than births. Their addictions are now being titled as a disease. Funny that, when the us govenrment- with the help of the mafia were flooding the projects with crack, they were busy burying users under the prisons. You have thousands of black fathers doing double figure stretches for non-violent small time weed offenses. Then the media doubles down talking about fatherless homes ignoring the disparities of policing/the judiciary/education and empolyment. This is where my utter hatred of the Clintons comes from; 3 strike laws, anyone? Despite billy - i didn't have sexual relations with that woman - clinton admitting the wrongs of that system, his wife never ever talked about reversing it. White drug users are getting rehabilitation. We saw the same thing with Billy Holiday and Judy Garland. Guess who was hounded to their grave and whom was granted anonymity amd all the space required to recover and stay at the top?

Has anyone read Johann Hari's Chasing the Scream?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: September 6, 2017, 12:20:06 pm »

Has anyone read Johann Hari's Chasing the Scream?

Do we know who actually wrote that book?

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: September 6, 2017, 12:39:44 pm »
I'm being thick, I dont get the question...

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: September 6, 2017, 12:53:14 pm »
I'm being thick, I dont get the question...

Young Johann's got himself a bit of a reputation for passing other people's work off as his own  :wave

Sorry, wasn't really relevant to the topic or your post, was just having a little dig at Mr Hari.

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: September 6, 2017, 06:10:48 pm »
Ah...missus just passed it onto having read it. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #746 on: November 8, 2017, 09:43:11 pm »

Former NBA commissioner David Stern discusses marijuana reformation.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9sVsR2DsFKs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9sVsR2DsFKs</a>

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #747 on: July 4, 2018, 10:26:07 am »

I was where you are about 2 years ago. Instead of a oxycontin/diazepam/tramadol cocktail, I switched it for some nice bud. 

Now I don't have ME, I have AS, but I found myself dependant on some pretty addictive prescription drugs.

I started smoking weed and I started sleeping, getting my apetite back, stopped being on edge because of the painkillers and had some much needed relief.

Weed can be abused but no more than morphine and other opiates can.

Minnesota sues OxyContin maker
by Jeremy Olson

MINNEAPOLIS — Minnesota is suing Purdue Pharma, the manufacturer of the narcotic painkiller OxyContin, after a prolonged investigation into its marketing and other tactics that allegedly contributed to a rising number of patient addictions and overdose deaths.

The lawsuit, filed Monday by state Attorney General Lori Swanson in Hennepin County District Court, seeks to recoup money lost by Minnesota taxpayers in paying for opioid painkillers for unproven and harmful purposes. Modeled after successful efforts to sue tobacco companies for the harm cigarettes caused, Swanson said she hopes to gain money from Purdue to fund treatment of addicts.

“This company misrepresented and minimized the addictive nature of its drugs in order to sell more of them,” she said.

Swanson accused the pharmaceutical company of launching or promoting research suggesting that OxyContin was not addictive, bankrolling organizations to promote that message, falsely claiming that the drug worked for 12 hours and had no dose limit, and blaming patients rather than the drug itself for their addictions.

Deaths linked to legal opioid painkillers such as OxyContin, and illicit forms such as heroin, increased in Minnesota from 54 in 2000 to 401 in 2017, according to the Minnesota Department of Health.

A Purdue spokesman criticized Swanson for filing suit and pursuing a “costly and protracted litigation process” amid ongoing negotiations with multiple states, including Minnesota, in federal court.

“We will continue to work collaboratively with the states toward bringing meaningful solutions to help address this public health crisis,” the spokesman said in a written statement.

Minnesota’s prescribing rate of opioid painkillers has been among the lowest in the nation, and it has declined in recent years through a variety of efforts, including the state Board of Pharmacy’s monitoring activities to identify addicts who were “doctor shopping” for prescriptions, and doctors who were overprescribing to their patients.

But an epidemic started by prescription painkillers has morphed into one fueled by illicit heroin, and by legal and illicit forms of fentanyl — a powerful synthetic that was implicated in the overdose death of pop star Prince. The number of opioid-related fatalities increased in 2017, even though deaths linked to common painkillers declined, because deaths linked to fentanyl and related synthetics increased from 99 in 2016 to 172 last year.

Swanson said this lawsuit will be much more complicated than cases against tobacco companies, because of the burden of proving that initial addictions to prescription opioids were related to the addictions and deaths of people from illicit substances.

Swanson, a Democratic candidate for governor, said she filed the lawsuit because she was unhappy with the pace of negotiations in federal court.

https://www.winonadailynews.com/minnesota-sues-oxycontin-maker/article_befb7909-c6fa-545a-970f-3f4bfeeef8fc.html

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: November 24, 2018, 06:14:05 pm »
This advertisement is on the money. Funny because it is true as Homer would say.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tYbfmkuRjkY&amp;feature=share" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tYbfmkuRjkY&amp;feature=share</a>

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: November 24, 2018, 07:59:54 pm »
This advertisement is on the money. Funny because it is true as Homer would say.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tYbfmkuRjkY&amp;feature=share" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tYbfmkuRjkY&amp;feature=share</a>

They should have The Killers doing their music.  ;)
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #750 on: November 24, 2018, 11:30:15 pm »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: May 31, 2019, 08:42:04 pm »
Illinois House and Senate just passed legalization of cannabis. Just needs governor to sign it, which he will (he campaigned on it). Tomorrow we win # 6. All is well

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: July 25, 2019, 11:36:29 am »
Big Tobacco MkII

Minnesota sues OxyContin maker
by Jeremy Olson

MINNEAPOLIS — Minnesota is suing Purdue Pharma, the manufacturer of the narcotic painkiller OxyContin, after a prolonged investigation into its marketing and other tactics that allegedly contributed to a rising number of patient

SNIP

https://www.winonadailynews.com/minnesota-sues-oxycontin-maker/article_befb7909-c6fa-545a-970f-3f4bfeeef8fc.html

Newly unsealed exhibits in opioid case reveal inner workings of the drug industry

Newly unsealed documents in a landmark lawsuit Tuesday in Cleveland show the pressure within drug companies to sell opioids in the face of numerous red flags during the height of the epidemic.

The release of the exhibits — sworn depositions of executives, internal corporate emails and experts’ reports — also reveals the ignored concerns of some employees about the huge volume of pain pills streaming across the nation.

In one exhibit, emails show that a Purdue Pharma executive received an order from a distributor for 115,200 oxycodone pills, which was nearly twice as large as that distributor’s average order over the previous three months. The order came in at 4:15 p.m., according to the emails sent in October 2009.

It was approved one minute later.

In another of the exhibits, Nathan J. Hartle, vice president of regulatory affairs and compliance for McKesson, the nation’s largest drug distributor, was asked during a July 2018 deposition about the billions of oxycodone pills that the company had shipped nationwide.

Did McKesson accept partial responsibility for the societal costs?

“I think we’re responsible for something,” Hartle said. “I don’t know what — how you define all societal costs and — I still believe it depends on different circumstances.”

A third exhibit shows that a customer service rep for Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals raised questions internally in May 2008 about orders from a new customer, Sunrise Wholesale of Florida.

“Were you expecting Sunrise to place such a large order??” the customer service employee asked in an email to Victor Borelli, a national account manager with Mallinckrodt. “And do they really want 2520 bottles of OXYCODONE HCL 30MG TABS USP, 100 count each ??”

This email was forwarded to one of Mallinckrodt’s top compliance officers with the note: “FYI — the customer service reps all state that Victor will tell them anything they want to hear just so he can get the sale.........”

Those glimpses inside the companies now accused of fueling the nation’s opioid epidemic appear in exhibits that were unsealed by U.S. District Judge Dan Polster in a massive lawsuit unfolding in a Cleveland courthouse against some of the biggest names in the drug industry. In addition to McKesson, Purdue and Mallinckrodt, they include Cardinal Health, CVS, Walgreens and Walmart.

A Drug Enforcement Administration database made public July 15 as part of the lawsuit revealed that the companies inundated the nation with 76 billion oxycodone and hydrocodone pills from 2006 through 2012. Nearly 2,000 cities, counties and towns are alleging that the companies knowingly flooded their communities with highly addictive painkillers, fueling an epidemic that has killed more than 200,000 people since 1996.

“Their failure to identify suspicious orders was their business model,” the plaintiffs wrote in a motion outlining their arguments in the case.

The database and the exhibits were unsealed after a legal challenge by The Washington Post and the owner of the Charleston Gazette-Mail in West Virginia.

In statements to The Post, the drug companies have issued multiple defenses of their actions during the crisis. They contend they were trying to sell legal painkillers to legitimate patients who had prescriptions. They also blamed the crisis on overprescribing by physicians and on corrupt doctors and pharmacists who worked in “pill mills” that handed out drugs with few questions asked.

The companies further asserted that they should not be held responsible for the actions of those who abused the drugs and that the DEA had all the information it needed to block pills from reaching the black market.

“Unlike the DEA, distributors have no authority to stop physicians from writing prescriptions, nor can they take unilateral action to halt pharmacies’ ability to dispense medication,” said John Parker, a spokesman for the Arlington, Va.-based Healthcare Distribution Alliance, a trade group for the industry.

In a statement, Purdue said it “denies Plaintiffs’ allegations that it failed to comply with the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) and the Drug Enforcement Administration’s (DEA) regulations relating to the monitoring of suspicious orders of opioid medications. The facts do not support Plaintiffs’ motion and Purdue will respond and ask the Court to deny Plaintiffs’ motion based on the facts and the law.”

The exhibits shed new light on aspects of the epidemic that have come to symbolize the magnitude of the crisis.

It has been previously reported that one of the hotbeds was a rural town of 400, Kermit, W.Va., where McKesson shipped 5 million pain pills over two years to a single pharmacy.

How could that be, a lawyer for the plaintiffs suing McKesson and two dozen other companies in the landmark lawsuit asked a senior DEA official during an April 2019 deposition.

“Is there any basis that you can make up in reality or otherwise where a town of 400 people have a medical need for five million pills of opium in a span of 24 months?” attorney Paul T. Farrell Jr. asked.

“There isn’t,” said Thomas Prevoznik, the acting section chief of pharmaceutical investigations for the DEA’s Diversion Control Division. “There isn’t.”

Farrell asked Prevoznik why the federal government did not charge McKesson with a crime.

“Based on my attorney’s advice, I’m not going to answer that,” Prevoznik said.

‘Peculiar’ drug orders

One of the exhibits contains the deposition of Karen Harper, Mallinckrodt’s senior manager of controlled substance compliance. She said she alerted her superiors in 2008 that Mallinckrodt, the largest manufacturer of opioids in the nation, was not capable of detecting suspicious orders and that its systems needed to be upgraded. But company executives decided against hiring an outside vendor to help detect such orders, she said.

Mallinckrodt later revised its monitoring program. Executives developed other terms for suspicious orders, including “peculiar” or “unusual,” Harper said. Those orders warranted review, but they were not necessarily deemed suspicious and they were shipped out, she said.

“There were times that we shipped an order before the review was complete, but we never shipped suspicious orders,” Harper said.

In 2010, the company changed the algorithm for flagging “peculiar” drug orders — from two times the prior year’s order average to three times — because there were too many orders to review, Harper said.

The DEA database shows that the Mallinckrodt division now known as SpecGx manufactured nearly 28.9 billion pills from 2006 through 2012.

The DEA started to investigate Mallinckrodt in 2011, after noticing that hundreds of millions of the company’s oxycodone 30 mg tablets had been shipped to Florida. The powerful 30 mg oxycodone pills, known as “blues,” were the most widely abused and sought-after dose during the height of the epidemic.

Government investigators alleged in internal documents previously obtained by The Post that the company’s lack of due diligence could have resulted in nearly 44,000 federal violations and exposed it to $2.3 billion in fines. But after negotiations with the Justice Department, the company in 2017 reached a $35 million settlement and admitted no wrongdoing for its drugs that were shipped to Florida.

That year, Mallinckrodt reported $2.1 billion in net income.

After the settlement, Harper said she offered her resignation.

“It happened on my watch,” she said in her deposition.

At the time of her January 2019 deposition, Harper said she was still employed by Mallinckrodt.

A former national sales director for Mallinckrodt, Victor Borelli, appears in several of the unsealed exhibits. His 465-page deposition was taken at a law firm in Baltimore in late November.

Borelli worked for Mallinckrodt between 2005 and 2012. He moved to the company after working as a representative for the Sara Lee Corp., where he sold coffee products.

Borelli was a hard-working and high-achieving salesman, according to the exhibits. He once described his job as “ship, ship, ship.” In January 2009, he told a salesman for a drug-distribution client that opioids he was selling were “Just like Doritos keep eating, we’ll make more.”

In March 2010, a customer service manager for Covidien, then Mallinckrodt’s Ireland-based parent company, sent an email to Borelli flagging a “peculiar order” of hydromorphone tablets from a distributor-client in Cincinnati.

“Do you know why they have increased their volume so much in March?” the manager asked.

Borelli responded: “. . . [T]hey are rolling and I don’t want to lose the momentum with them.”

On July 15, 2011, a customer representative at Covidien raised concerns about another uptick in orders. She sent an email to colleagues with a document that she said “indicates an increase in ordering for several of our existing wholesaler/distributors.” She added: “This might raise a red flag in the suspicious order monitoring reports.”

Borelli was one of the recipients. He pointed out that while shipments to two wholesalers, McKesson and Cardinal, had increased, another distributor’s orders had decreased.

“Let’s not let Suspicious order monitoring limit or restrict shipments because this is only a swapping of business between wholesalers,” Borelli wrote.

Borelli did not return requests for comment. An attempt to reach him at his home was turned away.

Mallinckrodt distanced itself from Borelli. About the Doritos statement, the company wrote: “This is an outrageously callous email from an individual who has not been employed by the company for many years. It is antithetical to everything that Mallinckrodt stands for and has done to combat opioid abuse and misuse.”

But while Borelli worked at Mallinckrodt, his efforts were rewarded, according to the exhibits.

In 2006, he received a $26,442 bonus. Four years later, he received a $110,335 bonus.

“The amount of your bonus was tied, at least in part, to the controlled substances you were selling?” Derek W. Loeser, a plaintiffs’ lawyer, asked Borelli during the deposition.

“Yes,” Borelli said. “Yes.”

‘Aunt Sandra’

As millions of deadly prescription opioids were spilling onto the streets of Ohio, executives at some of the nation’s largest drug companies worked together to fill a single, large prescription, for a woman they knew only as “Aunt Sandra.”

The prescription for 50 pills of 15 mg oxycodone every day for an entire month started out in spring 2009 as a favor from a former executive at Cardinal Health for her “relative.”

The episode was revealed halfway through Borelli’s deposition.

According to emails presented by plaintiffs in that deposition, Borelli was near the end of a chain of seven executives and account managers at three companies who pressed to ensure that a pharmacy in Columbus would have enough drugs on hand to fill the unusually large order — yet never flagged it to authorities as suspicious.

The request was initiated by Heather Goodman, according to emails read into the record during the deposition. In 2009, Goodman was two years removed from a job as a vice president at Cardinal, in charge of supply-chain integrity, according to her online biography.

Her request for help for her “Aunt Sandra” surfaced in emails that plaintiffs obtained from Mallinckrodt.

Goodman wrote to Dave Irwin, a national account manager at Mallinckrodt: “I spoke with my aunt, and the independent pharmacy she chose is Dane Drugs. . . . We have not contacted the pharmacy to let them know this is happening yet . . . as soon as we know that this arrangement is set up, Aunt Sandra will call her doctor and have him call in the script for her. Please let us know how you would like to proceed.”

Internally, Irwin raised an alarm: “Her monthly prescription is 1500 oxycodone 15 milligrams. I did the math in my head late yesterday and this equates to 50 tablets per day. Is that even possible?”

The order was so large that account managers at Mallinckrodt had to call one of their distributors, KeySource Medical, to ask the pharmacy to order additional product.

For Aunt Sandra, “two cases a month to the below pharmacy,” wrote Kate Muhlenkamp, a Mallinckrodt product manager.

“KeySource is going to try to ship the pharmacy one month’s needs at a time, so depending on what is happening in the marketplace (supply/demand), we may have to circle back in a month to allocate more oxy 15 to them for this special circumstance,” Borelli replied.

Steve Cochrane, a vice president for KeySource Medical, said a pharmacist was nonetheless shocked the following week when the deal went down. He wrote to Borelli, joking about the exchange.

“Guess who called today . . . Dane Drug!” he wrote. “They want to know who the F this lady Aunt Sandra was that showed up looking for her oxycodone 15 milligram today. You can’t make this stuff up.”

Goodman, who now serves as general counsel for a pharmaceutical firm in Columbus, did not respond to phone messages and requests for comment on social media. Irwin and Muhlenkamp did not respond to phone messages. Cochrane declined to comment through an attorney.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/newly-unsealed-exhibits-in-opioid-case-reveal-inner-workings-of-the-drug-industry/2019/07/23/acf3bf64-abe5-11e9-8e77-03b30bc29f64_story.html?utm_term=.fa588a6d2c04

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #755 on: November 23, 2020, 03:24:55 am »

The Mexican Senate voted 82 in favor, 18 against, and 7 abstentions on Thursday a law that legalizes the consumption of cannabis for adults and reforms the federal penal code.

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: January 31, 2021, 11:48:47 am »
     :no

https://revealnews.org/article/they-thought-they-were-going-to-rehab-they-ended-up-in-chicken-plants/amp/
That's quite something. It is not normal for a developed democracy to do things like this; or when something is this wrong, for it to continue for so long. Every single one of those involved in this scheme (including the judges) should be jailed for 30 years each (minimum). It is slavery. I suspect, though, little will happen for some time yet, and no one will be punished.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #758 on: February 18, 2021, 03:22:33 pm »
That's quite something. It is not normal for a developed democracy to do things like this; or when something is this wrong, for it to continue for so long. Every single one of those involved in this scheme (including the judges) should be jailed for 30 years each (minimum). It is slavery. I suspect, though, little will happen for some time yet, and no one will be punished.

America is a corporatocracy with a thin veneer of democracy, the lie protected by a programme of nationalist brainwashing and evangelical anti-socialism
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #759 on: April 13, 2021, 11:50:22 am »