Author Topic: So, you're a Red, but why?  (Read 88605 times)

Offline itsalltosh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: So, you're a Red, but why?
« Reply #1120 on: July 19, 2017, 12:04:11 pm »
Keegan was and still is my hero.

Subsequent players took his crown - King Kenny, Digger Barnesy, God but you never forget your first love and he always looked best in that beautiful red shirt.

Yep some greats, but the reason for being a red...

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #1121 on: July 19, 2017, 12:05:24 pm »
As a ten year old making the big choice LFC had Sir Roger Hunt, the rest is history :-)
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #1122 on: July 19, 2017, 12:14:38 pm »
Yep some greats, but the reason for being a red...

fuck me what a great pic....I think Tosh himself would've struggled to get up that high!
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1123 on: July 19, 2017, 12:30:40 pm »
I was 12 years old and a girl I was "dating" was Liverpool mad as was all her family. At the time I was more a fan of players and loved Chris Sutton from his Norwich and Blackburn days along with Shearer, so I guess I was following Blackburn.

Anyhow, last game of the 94/95 season I was with her and her family and I started following Liverpool to get in her good books - was a weird feeling the end of that game. I was happy Blackburn won the league, but I fell in love with Anfield.

By the time I was 16, the girl and I parted ways, but she left this lasting legacy with me - a new bird to love :)

22 years later I'm still going strong - few league cups, FA Cups and of course 2001 treble & 2005. Never experienced when we dominated the league, so the close run ins with Rafa and Brendan are the closest I've been to winning the league - here's hoping Jurgen can bring it home.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1124 on: July 19, 2017, 01:37:39 pm »
Cos I was a kid and was told by older family members to support them. So I did and grew to love everything about them. Also, you never switch teams. Ever.

Simple as that really :)

First player I thought of as a hero was God! Could have been worse......  ;)
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Sevens and Eights

• Main Stander
  • Football is my oxygen.
« Reply #1125 on: August 2, 2017, 03:10:57 am »
Always was a Beatles fan because of my father, (massive music fan) and had a liverpoolian friend back who would talk about the city.... so around 2008 I started to watch whenever i could when it was on here in Canada. I Became enthralled at the working class strength of the fans, loved the songs, the passion. The folklore.
The more I read and learned about the history of the team, the more I kept finding a kinship to who and what they were... what they stood for.
 I loved the history, loved the legacy they held, and knew they were the ones I had to cheer for.
I've not turned away since. (Even through the show Being Liverpool)
In time I found my own reasons to live and die with the team, how the club became an intrigal part of my day. Religiously I'm up every weekend, sometimes 430 in the morn, with my Irish coffee, yelling at the tv, annoying my neighbors to hell, but without caring.
Being a red means something, and I'm happy to be a part of that.
Hopefully next year, I'll walk those hallowed grounds of anfield for the first time, look on the stone with my name on it, then throw my scarf up in song with the rest of the crowd, and watch the mighty reds bring new memories, more legacies.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:42:26 am by Sevens and Eights »

Offline ahannon88

• Kemlynite
« Reply #1126 on: September 11, 2017, 07:40:48 pm »
Mom was a red, she didn't really give me much of a choice.

Went to my 1st game in 96 and haven't looked back.

Starting to take my nephew this season too.

Offline klopptilyoudrop

• Kemlynite
    • Ryan Watts
« Reply #1127 on: September 11, 2017, 08:46:42 pm »
I have an older half brother. We aren't from Liverpool. When he was about five, his dad placed a small bet on the Merseyside derby, backing Everton to win. So my brother decided to cheer for Liverpool, because that's the sort of narky child he was (and still is.) Liverpool won. He supported Liverpool from that day forward, and after I was born, I didn't have a choice. Thanks to him, I could recite half the Liverpool squad a good two or three years before ever actually getting into football and watching them.

Well, almost. At the age of about eight I asked one day if David Jason was playing in goal...

My earliest memory of watching the Reds, by the way? McManaman's magical dribble against Celtic. Twenty years ago this week.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1128 on: September 14, 2017, 09:31:58 pm »
I am a red because from the moment I was born, the red half of my family i.e. my uncle, grandfather and mother indoctrinated me in a way that would make even a cult blush. Every birthday, festival or whatever saw me receive a scarf, hat or poster. After going to my first game with my grandfather (Liverpool v West Brom in 1984), I was hooked for life.
Justice for the 96!

Offline dangerpuss

• A bit like bagpuss. But more.....um.....dangerous.....um.....
  • Kopite
  • Allez, allez, allez
« Reply #1129 on: September 14, 2017, 10:42:30 pm »
I like bitchin and moaning. Seemed like a good fit.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #1130 on: September 14, 2017, 10:50:29 pm »
Probably among the funniest answers:
Kozma, one of the worst ever Liverpool players according to some. But he was a Hungarian playing abroad at the time I started to follow football.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
« Reply #1131 on: September 14, 2017, 10:56:40 pm »
2 things made me a red the 1st one was when i was a wee boy in the 70s the reds european games were on the telly all the time.So i was hooked.The 2nd reason was KENNETH MATHIESON DALGLISH who was my and still is my footballing hero so when he signed on at anfield it sealed the deal.I may be an oot but i have liverpool fc and the city in my blood.YNWA.
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone