Author Topic: Rox's Dog Advice Thread  (Read 397503 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« Reply #4080 on: January 28, 2018, 09:15:05 pm »
Yeah I'm a big raw feeder, have been for a little over 6 years now. As is Claire on here.

I can answer some more specific questions but you're best going back a while in this thread and there are plenty of posts from myself and Claire about it.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4081 on: January 28, 2018, 09:20:43 pm »
Cheers for the reply mate. Yeah I have started trawling back through the thread trying to find something so thought I’d ask to make sure just so I wasn’t wasting my one delving back through ;D. Any idea which page the discussion is? Kind of just want an example of what to feed and how often etc. Ive read loads on the internet but nobody seems to know much so I prefer hearing off people who have had the experience.

And it’s just a waste of time talking to the vet about it; they seem anti raw feed.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4082 on: January 28, 2018, 10:27:05 pm »
Yeah had plenty of talks with vets who aren't too keen. Then again Arnie (my bullmastiff) has been on raw since I got him and he turned 6 last week and hasn't been the vet since he was a pup and is in great health.

I'll post up a load of stuff for you in the morning mate when on my computer and can type better. Pain in the arse on my phone. Not sure what page stuff is on, Claire might know date wise as sure it was around when she got Flo, or not long after.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4083 on: January 28, 2018, 10:48:40 pm »
No worries, cheers mate!
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4084 on: January 29, 2018, 09:16:41 am »
That’s good to hear Lfsea. It’s all about being patient, most dogs will respond to that in the end.

With regards to raw feeding (apologies in advance for the amount of poo talk!!)...

Assuming you’ve an adult/fully grown dog (rules are slightly different for puppies) then you want to feed around 2-3% of their body weight a day. So for instance if you’ve a dog who weighs 20kg then you want to feed around 500g (2.5%).

Few caveats - if they are over or under weight then you can shift this up/down, same if they are very/not very active. Once they are settled on raw then keeping an eye on their body shape and the size of their poo (shouldn’t poo that much, and it should be ‘normal’ in appearance, so not too hard or soft) should tell you if you’re feeding enough. Just for ref, too hard poo is not enough, too soft poo is too much (although are some other things which can affect this which will mention below).

Once you know how much you need to feed in total, you need to split this into the 3 main parts of a raw diet. I’m ignoring veg here as dogs really can’t process it all that well and it’s not something I feed. I go by the 80/10/10 rule, roughly, which is 80% meat, 10% organ and 10% bone. Some do around 70/15/15.

Meat consists of your standard chicken, etc, along with the likes of heart and most fish. Organ is anything like spleen, kidney and liver (def feed some of the latter as it contains important nutrients not found elsewhere). Bone can be anything which isn’t weight bearing from anything larger than a small animal (so no bones from cow/pig legs as these are too dense). Don’t forget most bone will be surrounded with meat so if you have a 100g chicken leg then it’s likely to only be half bone.

I used to weigh stuff pretty much to the book, but these days I do it by eye as been feeding for a while now. You soon get the hang of it and it becomes second nature. With the ratios, too much bone can cause hard light coloured poo (a raw dogs poo will turn white after a few days so that’s normal) and too much organ will give fairly sloppy poo.

I feed once a day, which tends to be later on in the day as that’s just when he seems to prefer it. Also means he can laze around after eating over 1.5kg of meat to let it digest - then again all he does is laze around anyway  ;D

With switching to a dry to raw diet, most say to start with a simple single protein like chicken and then add in different ones one at a time to give them time to adjust, but you can also just make the switch entirely. Either way you can sometimes get a few days where their stomach may seem a little off but that’s just their digestive system producing the different enzymes required to break down their more natural raw diet as opposed to the shite filler filled dry food.

Ermmm... I think that’s most of the info. I’ve prob missed loads, so just ask if you’ve any questions.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4085 on: January 29, 2018, 10:17:47 am »
Cheers for that Craig, much appreciated.

As I said I've been pretty lazy with it so far (chicken/beef/turkey mince with some veg normally with the odd chicken wing here and there) so not really sure he's reaping all the benefits. That said though he looks a brilliant weight and his skin/fur is brilliant so it's obviously doing him some good.

I need to get him weighed really but every time I go to Pets at Home their scales are 'broken' and thankfully he hasn't needed to go to the vets for a while. He turned one last week though so will probably take him for a check up anyway. He's only a little jack crossed toy poodle so he's not big at all. Currently feeding him twice a day as well and he does love his food so not sure how he'd feel about going down to one a day! I will try and do that over time though. I got him some lamb kidney and beef liver over the weekend and he loved the liver but wasn't too keen on the kidney. Does it matter which animal these come from or is one better than the other? With him being so small though the size of the liver he can have is tiny so I've frozen most of it into small portions. Next weekend I'll probably go the butchers/supermarket and get a bulk of everything and freeze it all into set meals as that'll be easier. Or does freezing and defrosting equate to losing some of the benefits?

One final question (for now ;D); when you split it into 80/10/10, is that across the week or every meal? Should I be mixing liver etc with the meat in the same meal every day? Or feed it sparingly throughout the week? That wasn't one question either sorry! ;D

As for the poo his are always healthy. This morning it was a bit more loose than usual but again he had liver and kidney yesterday for the first time albeit it in small amounts. He had half a kidney and 1oz of liver across his two meals.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4086 on: January 29, 2018, 10:31:25 am »
Yeah you're best to make the change to a full mix of meat/bone/organ sooner rather than later as they all give different nutrients which the body needs.

Nah doesn't matter too much which animal too much, I try to get a bit of a mix over time though so it's a bit different for him and so if there are different nutrients then he gets all those. Arnie hates kidney, and even if I slice it up really small and mix it in he'll find a way to eat round it (or worse literally spit it out on the floor!). Liver and spleen are the two organ meats he loves.

You can split it over the week, doesn't need to be exact every day. Just be careful doing a meal too heavy in organ meat though with little bone as it can run right through them if they aren't massively used to a raw diet.

I buy mine online from daf-petfoods, but I feed around 1.6kg a day so I can buy in big bulk sizes. Not sure where you are but if you're around Liverpool I think Claire knows a few places which do raw which will be cheaper than going the supermarket for it all.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4087 on: January 29, 2018, 10:43:59 am »
Living in Broughton just outside Chester and head up to Liverpool quite often so if there is any decent places I can get there.

I think it's the bone that I'm not really sure how to include as 10%? He loves gnawing on a chicken wing but how do you make bone only 10% of the meal? If I were to guess his weight I'd say around 10 kg so he'd only be needing 250g, maybe a little more as he goes on long walks, is quite active at home and his walks on a weekend tend to be a couple of hours.

He's got a bone and a cow hoof he chews on every so often when I just want to keep him occupied so I assume that counts towards the bone? But again it's not during his meal.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4088 on: January 29, 2018, 10:49:56 am »
I’d not overly worry about getting it bang on. Best guess the weight of the bone and just do it that way.

Annie has everything from rabbit backs to turkey necks, duck wings and full chicken carcasses, so it’s pretty hard to know exactly what he gets bone wise but I just get it as close as I think to the amount.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4089 on: January 29, 2018, 11:21:28 am »
Oh, and nothing wrong with freezing/defrosting and even refreezing if needs be. Dogs aren't really prone to the same sorts of bacteria on food as we are (in fact their digestive system contains bacteria that would harm us!).

Making up portions and bagging them up is a great way to do it, saves loads of time and messing about each day.

Also, if he prefers 2 meals then no reason to change that if you're OK with it. I only do 1 as that's just what Arnie prefers. He's never really eaten an early meal and then eaten one later on for some reason - fussy fucker.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4090 on: January 29, 2018, 11:52:21 am »
If you need to weigh him, stand on the scale and weigh yourself, then pick him up and take your weight off the total :)

There's a place on the Wirral called The Dog's Diner, they do practically everything raw food related and the shop is run by a lady called Anne Ridyard (she literally wrote a book on the subject!) and her family - they're all really knowledgable and if you take your dog over they can weigh him for you and give you advice.

They had some new packs of completes in, from a place called the natural food co I think it was, and it was frozen mince but loosely packed in the bag so you'd be able to split it out. Think they were £1.20 for 500g, has the lot in an 80/10/10 split.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4091 on: January 29, 2018, 12:20:43 pm »
Thanks for your posts Craig, always prefer to hear it with someone with experience of actually doing it.

Thanks for that link Claire, seems good going by the website so I'll have to pop over! I have been using the natures menu blocks which I always just assumed was pure mincemeat and recently decided to just get the meat from the supermarket. But now you've mentioned that they do the blocks with 80/10/10 it's made me realise the natures menu blocks do contain bone so is probably easier to maintain. Just need to chuck some organ meat in there as well.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4092 on: January 29, 2018, 03:59:53 pm »
Separate query to the food ones I've had: castration, necessity or not? We had little Albie booked in a couple of months ago but I couldn't bear the thought of the little fella going under the knife so young as he hadn't shown that much of the typical behaviours people get their dogs castrated for; humping, aggression etc. I did manage to convince my other half on the day to not do it so his little furry balls survived.

From the time it was booked until the day I did a lot of reading about it and getting advice from people and I just wasn't convinced it was worth the risk. From what I read castrating can actually lead to more problems than leaving them there. My parents old Jack Russell had his chopped and he put the weight on afterwards and it also didn't stop his aggression or humping although he was a few years old at the time so probably too late by then. But still, nothing has convinced me to get it done. I'm only querying it again now though as he is showing signs of wanting to hump again (not actually doing it) and his 'lipstick' has been out more often the last week or so. He hasn't got an ounce of aggression in him and until the last week he hadn't humped anything while I've been around. He's jumped on my arm once this past week but not actually humped and I have just distracted him with a toy to stop him.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4093 on: January 29, 2018, 04:02:24 pm »
I haven't had Arnie done and I can't say I've regretted it or felt there has been reason to (or at least the standard reasons for it).

I keep a check on him for health reasons (lumps etc.) obviously.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4094 on: January 30, 2018, 11:43:34 am »
Thanks for your posts Craig, always prefer to hear it with someone with experience of actually doing it.

Thanks for that link Claire, seems good going by the website so I'll have to pop over! I have been using the natures menu blocks which I always just assumed was pure mincemeat and recently decided to just get the meat from the supermarket. But now you've mentioned that they do the blocks with 80/10/10 it's made me realise the natures menu blocks do contain bone so is probably easier to maintain. Just need to chuck some organ meat in there as well.

The 80/10/10 contains organ meat, it's 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ, so you won't need to give him anything extra unless he's doing really dry poo ;D

We haven't had Floyd done, but seeing as he is an absolute fucker with other dogs we're thinking of getting it done to help calm him down. He got attacked by a great dane and a husky when he was young and since then he's not been too happy around big dogs that he doesn't know, cos he's so strong it's like trying to hold back a truck if he thinks another dog is going to come over to me.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4095 on: January 31, 2018, 04:00:00 pm »
The 80/10/10 contains organ meat, it's 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ, so you won't need to give him anything extra unless he's doing really dry poo ;D

We haven't had Floyd done, but seeing as he is an absolute fucker with other dogs we're thinking of getting it done to help calm him down. He got attacked by a great dane and a husky when he was young and since then he's not been too happy around big dogs that he doesn't know, cos he's so strong it's like trying to hold back a truck if he thinks another dog is going to come over to me.

Looking at making an order with DAF, seems great value and a huge range! Are they UK wide or a certain catchment area do you know? Will probably get the 80/10/10 packs as that will be a lot easier for me. Do you still give Floyd bones/chicken wings as well? Little Albie loves wings and other bones as treats now and then and it keeps him occupied so wouldn't want to stop those!

Give the castration a read online; as Craig has said much earlier in the thread (I've pretty much read half the thread now, it's been great following yours and Craigs stories about Arnie and Floyd!) there doesn't seem to be many confirmed health benefits to it other than testicular cancer is prevented. From experience the Jack Russell we had when I was growing up was even more aggressive after the op too! Just a fat aggressive little bugger after it ;D

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4096 on: January 31, 2018, 04:02:52 pm »
DAF will either deliver for £10 via UPS, or they do free delivery on their vans to most areas once (sometimes twice) a month. I order all mind from there, but tend to get the individual stuff and then portion it up.

Delivery dates are here - http://www.daf-petfood.co.uk/content/2-delivery-dates

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4097 on: January 31, 2018, 08:56:42 pm »
 ;D I don't miss that!

I remember when I was bringing Arnie back. Was a few hour drive and he was in his crate. He shat absolutely everywhere and then fell in it and was covered. Had to try and wash him and the crate at the services!

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4098 on: February 19, 2018, 06:33:01 pm »
I went to the Dogs diner last weekend; fuckinghell Claire when you said they have everything they really do! One or two items there that were a bit much! Ended up getting the ready made 80/10/10 meals which come from DAF foods I think. Only £1.25 a pack and that does Albie for four meals so they last two days for him. The tripe was a bit gruesome like and stunk the place out though!

Little Albie seems to be really enjoying the food so far and he's been ok after a week on it. Had the runs the other day but i think he may have eaten something on his walk or the treats i gave him didn't agree.

Out of interest; when do people feed their dogs? I've read lots of conflicting reports on when and when not to feed but the majority seems to say dont feed an hour before or after exercise? That doesn't really fit for me though as I just don't have time to be waiting that long in the morning before work. I take him out for a walk at about 6:45am for around half hour then i feed him just before 8 so I can be out the house just after 8. Is that dangerous? read all sorts of horror stories about bloat. He's only a little dog so not sure if he is at risk as much but any little thing is enough to scare the fuck out of me! His walk in the morning isn't rigorous, just a normal paced walk around the estate. Same again at night time but sometimes we take him for an hour at night depending on the weather. I do try and feed him an hour before we take him at night time but some places advise to feed after rather than before?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4099 on: February 19, 2018, 07:29:35 pm »
Exercise after eating is worse than before, plus it's a bigger issue for larger chested dogs (although still an issue for all breeds and is the biggest killer), so you're probably ok.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4100 on: February 20, 2018, 09:00:33 pm »
I went to the Dogs diner last weekend; fuckinghell Claire when you said they have everything they really do! One or two items there that were a bit much! Ended up getting the ready made 80/10/10 meals which come from DAF foods I think. Only £1.25 a pack and that does Albie for four meals so they last two days for him. The tripe was a bit gruesome like and stunk the place out though!

Little Albie seems to be really enjoying the food so far and he's been ok after a week on it. Had the runs the other day but i think he may have eaten something on his walk or the treats i gave him didn't agree.

Out of interest; when do people feed their dogs? I've read lots of conflicting reports on when and when not to feed but the majority seems to say dont feed an hour before or after exercise? That doesn't really fit for me though as I just don't have time to be waiting that long in the morning before work. I take him out for a walk at about 6:45am for around half hour then i feed him just before 8 so I can be out the house just after 8. Is that dangerous? read all sorts of horror stories about bloat. He's only a little dog so not sure if he is at risk as much but any little thing is enough to scare the fuck out of me! His walk in the morning isn't rigorous, just a normal paced walk around the estate. Same again at night time but sometimes we take him for an hour at night depending on the weather. I do try and feed him an hour before we take him at night time but some places advise to feed after rather than before?

Ha! Was it the freezer full of various heads? I avoid it like the plague! He has a lamb neck once a week for a chew and to keep his teeth clean. I used to do DIY and get everything separate but we went on holiday to a cottage for a week and put him on them packs and he loved them so we’ve just stuck with them since, less hassle and I know he’s getting everything he needs.

He’s on two meals a day, one at dinner time, then he’s out at 4 and he has his other meal around 6.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4101 on: February 22, 2018, 06:31:47 pm »
Just looking at pet insurance and went on the insurance emporium and it's got a declaration as part of the sign up, first question is:

Have you or any person normally residing with you ever:-
a.     received a Police caution, been convicted of a criminal offence or have a prosecution pending?

What the fuck? What's that got to do with owning a dog?

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4102 on: May 4, 2018, 01:41:01 pm »
So my lab Dylan was diagnosed with stomach cancer on Monday. Been steadily deteriorating for a couple of months now, moving slower, losing weight etc. so I knew there was something off. Still, he's 13 in June so he's lived a decent life, and given his diagnosis of knee dysplasia at 4 months old he's been an absolute trooper in managing that his whole life. Dropped him off at the vet this morning which was originally supposed to be for a CT Scan/endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis for 100%, but we've since decided to switch to palliative care and make him as comfortable as possible for the reminder of his life, which could be days or weeks. Been up the past couple of nights clearing vomit and rushing outside with him because of his diarrhea, it's heart-breaking to see him like this. Anyway I think many on here have been through this before so you'll know the feeling, but enjoy them whilst they're bounding around and behaving like little shits!

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #4103 on: May 4, 2018, 01:49:36 pm »
So my lab Dylan was diagnosed with stomach cancer on Monday. Been steadily deteriorating for a couple of months now, moving slower, losing weight etc. so I knew there was something off. Still, he's 13 in June so he's lived a decent life, and given his diagnosis of knee dysplasia at 4 months old he's been an absolute trooper in managing that his whole life. Dropped him off at the vet this morning which was originally supposed to be for a CT Scan/endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis for 100%, but we've since decided to switch to palliative care and make him as comfortable as possible for the reminder of his life, which could be days or weeks. Been up the past couple of nights clearing vomit and rushing outside with him because of his diarrhea, it's heart-breaking to see him like this. Anyway I think many on here have been through this before so you'll know the feeling, but enjoy them whilst they're bounding around and behaving like little shits!

Sorry to hear that.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4104 on: May 5, 2018, 10:07:28 am »
RIP Dylan. One of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make last night. But I was with him from the beginning and I stayed with him until the end. I guess death is the trade off for all the fun and enjoyment they bring us during their lives.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4105 on: May 5, 2018, 11:40:49 am »
Oh sorry to hear that. Always tough to deal with  :(

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4106 on: May 5, 2018, 01:42:11 pm »
Sorry to hear that, never easy but with the condition he had you've done right by him.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #4107 on: May 5, 2018, 03:08:43 pm »
You were a true and faithful friend to your friend.  Deepest sympathy for your loss.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4108 on: May 6, 2018, 12:01:51 pm »
Thank you all. Was defo the right call though, we couldn’t let him suffer anymore. We’re already starting to laugh and joke about him, it’s crazy the amount of messages I’ve had, unbelievable the impact a dog can have on people’s lives.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4109 on: July 3, 2018, 12:10:50 pm »
Just taken Izzy to tge vets for routine boosters and been told she has a grade 3 clinical heart murmur.

Can't believe it's not been picked up previously, rescue places are supposed to do a health check when dogs arrive yet nothing was mentioned when we got her.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4110 on: July 3, 2018, 12:14:01 pm »
Ah that's not great  :(

Have they given anymore info on it, as know some murmurs can go away with age.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4111 on: July 3, 2018, 12:32:10 pm »
It's left side only and quite loud hence the grade 3 rating.  It's clinical rather than congenital, whatever the difference is but it means seeing a specialist cardiologist before they know exactly the problem or the prognosis [emoji19]

She seems perfectly fit and healthy, runs rings round our other dog but thinking about it once she's settled she sleeps forever.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4112 on: July 3, 2018, 12:38:11 pm »
How old is she?

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4113 on: July 3, 2018, 01:57:15 pm »
We're not sure mate.  12/18mths maybe.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4114 on: July 16, 2018, 03:05:27 pm »
It's left side only and quite loud hence the grade 3 rating.  It's clinical rather than congenital, whatever the difference is but it means seeing a specialist cardiologist before they know exactly the problem or the prognosis [emoji19]

She seems perfectly fit and healthy, runs rings round our other dog but thinking about it once she's settled she sleeps forever.

Sorry to hear that Debs, hopefully it's something that can be managed :(

Christ alive it's so hard trying to give the dog substantial and meaningful exercise in this weather.

It's been 25+ degrees here for 6 weeks now and it literally hasn't rained once. All the walks we do have seen the streams totally dry up so there's no natural refreshment along the way for now and all the paths are rock solid and hot so it must be brutal on her feet.

Floyd doesn't do well in the heat at all so we restrict his exercise to first thing in the morning only, if we get out just before 6 it's cool enough to give him a good hour. Pavements etc aren't hot. Thankfully it's cooled down here now! As for drinking and that I just bring a bottle of water for him, have done since he was a pup so he's good drinking from a bottle ;D

If it's ridiculous out, just don't take her out, it burns their feet and can be dangerous. Safer to play games indoors near a fan! :D

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4115 on: July 16, 2018, 06:47:39 pm »

We've been back and seen a different vet and they say she's fine and no signs of a murmur which us great [emoji16]

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4116 on: July 17, 2018, 02:11:12 pm »
We've been back and seen a different vet and they say she's fine and no signs of a murmur which us great [emoji16]

That's great news Debs, reckon they just heard something weird on the other visit?!

Lyra is too big to play in the house now, sadly and because she's such a prodigious jumper nothing is safe so she has to be out of the house. Even though it's going to kill me I'm going to try taking her on some super early walks on the nearby farm and see if that helps her.

Not being able to exercise her properly at the moment is really affecting her behaviour too - because she's so pumped up when she goes out, all the training she's done is immediately out of the window.

Also have ordered a doggy water bottle so at very worst we can have a long ish stroll without me worrying that she'll collapse.

Too big?! What kind of dog is she? ;D

There's loads of games you can play or teach them tricks and stuff to keep their mind active. There's a book called brain games for dogs which has loads of little things you can do, can do most of them in the house.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4117 on: July 17, 2018, 04:59:02 pm »
Black lab? Big dog? Pfft  ;D

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4118 on: July 17, 2018, 06:49:02 pm »
That's great news Debs, reckon they just heard something weird on the other visit?!

No idea really Claire but having done a bit of googling on the subject it seems it happens quite often. 

It seemed weird that she's a rescue yet nobody had picked it up before, they're usually thoroughly checked over when they arrive.

Anyway she's fine so that's all that matters.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4119 on: July 17, 2018, 08:37:52 pm »

No idea really Claire but having done a bit of googling on the subject it seems it happens quite often. 

It seemed weird that she's a rescue yet nobody had picked it up before, they're usually thoroughly checked over when they arrive.

Anyway she's fine so that's all that matters.

This is why I asked how old she was, as younger dogs can have a slight murmur and then it can go as they develop more.

So glad that seems to have been the case.