Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 478319 times)

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #12200 on: Today at 08:40:42 pm »
Their goal difference is +56 as it stands, PSV's is +86 and there's three to play after this!  :o
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Cozzymoto

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12201 on: Today at 08:40:47 pm »
I remain open to Slot, but I am plagued by concerns, which I would state as folllows:

1. Profile: When FSG brought in Klopp he was the most sought after manager in Europe. Slot is a legend in his own back yard, it's not quite the same thing.
2. Previous: While FSG had incredible success with Klopp (and have been steady, if cautious owners) they are still unproven on managerial picks. Rodgers can be considered a positive and Dalglish helped pull the club back from the brink. But only Klopp can be considered an unqualified success.
3. Coming from a weak league: Ten Hag is Dutch and arrived with a very good reputation. It's clear now he is nowhere near the leading lights of management. Quite simply the Dutch league does not test a manager enough to reveal their weaknesses.
4. Player purchases: Slot will, naturally want to pick some of his own players. Klopp got Matip for a song, as an example. Ten hag spent 100s of millions on low quality players from the Dutch league.  Again, simply put, Slot will want to shop from what he knows, but the league is piss and Dutch players are at an all time low quality wise.
5. Klopp hangover: Going from a legend to an unknown is going to be a hard transition for everyone.
6. Klopp lite: Slot appears to be favoured because he plays a similar style to Klopp. But  a new departure is needed, trying to be Klopp 2.0 is highly unlikely to succeed. The players for one will not be persuaded if its more of the same, only not as good.

Whoever is going to come in will have super big boots to fill. Alonso knows this and probably wants to develop his game further until the big job comes.

Not sold on slot, but will back whoever officially takes the helm.

Online Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #12202 on: Today at 08:41:13 pm »

Come on Barbie let’s go Barbie,

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #12203 on: Today at 08:41:36 pm »
No ‘it’s happening’ gifs?
giphy" border="0

6e8bcc9f3c3ec55c9762b9a7e80782eb" border="0

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12204 on: Today at 08:42:12 pm »
Some name that. Go Ahead Eagles.

Online In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12205 on: Today at 08:44:24 pm »
Won't be long before he's our new manager.

Arne Slot has said he wants to leave Feyenoord to take on the job of succeeding Jurgen Klopp as Liverpool manager and expects a resolution to negotiations between the two clubs in "the coming days."

Liverpool opened talks with Feyenoord on Wednesday after identifying Slot, 45, as their No. 1 choice to replace Klopp, who will stand down from his position at the end of the season after almost nine years in charge at Anfield.

Slot signed a three-year contract with Feyenoord last year after guiding the Rotterdam-based club to the Eredivisie title. The former AZ Alkmaar coach rejected offers from Leeds United and Tottenham Hotspur to commit his future to Feyenoord.

But speaking to ESPN Netherlands ahead of Thursday's Eredivisie game against Go Ahead Eagles, Slot said he wants to take the opportunity to move to the Premier League with Liverpool.

"The only thing I can say about it is that the clubs are in negotiations," Slot said. "And then you sit in the waiting room and wait for what will come out.

"It seems clear to me that I would like to go to Liverpool. Now I'm waiting to see whether the clubs reach an agreement. I'm very confident in that."

Sources have told ESPN that Feyenoord are holding out for a compensation package of £9 million for Slot. But the coach says he is happy for the two teams to thrash out a deal and is confident an agreement can be reached quickly.

"The clubs have to do their job," he said. "And then I'm waiting and as the 'main character.' I have to respect that. It will undoubtedly become clear in the coming days."

The 45-year-old has emerged as the leading contender for the Liverpool job following Xabi Alonso's decision to remain at Bayer Leverkusen and a cooling in the Premier League club's interest in Sporting CP coach Ruben Amorim.

Liverpool captain was asked about Slot taking over for Klopp following his team's 2-0 loss to Everton on Wednesday, and the Netherlands international said he thought his countryman's style and philosophy would be a fit.

"I find it difficult to answer it now, of course," Van Dijk told Viaplay. "But I think Arne Slot might be one of the better Dutch coaches at this moment.

"I think the way he plays and the philosophy he has that he could be a Liverpool coach. Only in my opinion, what I also read and hear, of course, is that it is far from finalised.

"We will see. Next year we will focus on that."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/40024190/arne-slot-confirms-liverpool-clubs-negotiations
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12206 on: Today at 08:47:15 pm »
Boooo fucking Slot out bald twat
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #12207 on: Today at 08:49:53 pm »
I will support whoever they appoint.
I hope that whoever it is will bring a little of the dark arts with them.
Last night was the final straw. Jones & Diaz constantly trying to remain on their feet, the opposition constantly trying to con the officials.
Is this cheating? Yes. Do we need it? I think we do. Klopp admirably insisted on playing football the right way. We get no thanks for it. We aren't treated any better by officials for doing it. It has become an absolute must for any team to succeed. Anyone who suggests otherwise is kidding themselves. It is impossible to win the big competitions the right way anymore.
Last night I would have taken a Simeone, today I have heard mourinho as an interim. Just give me a winner. No one cares about us being nice.
I know that I'll eventually calm down, and be more reasoned in my view :D
But please bring a little dark arts to our game....
I'll be honest. I love pure football. By that I mean honest stuff played in a good spirit. Thing is, the world is a shit hole where gobshites and cheats prosper. Football is the same. I loved Klopp doing it the right way, but winning the fair play award every year only gets you so far.

The thing is, no one appreciates it outside of Anfield. The officials penalise us regardless. We can have 70% of the ball on a regular basis but somehow concede far more fouls than we get. Personally, I'd be happy for us to take the gloves off now. Play the twats at their own game. Work advantages for ourselves. I'll be happy with a velvet glove, so long as it masks an iron fist. Let's rip a few heads off, in a subtle kind of way.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12208 on: Today at 08:52:17 pm »
De Zerbi or Slot? After seeing the play for Feyenoord's goals Slot's buildup play looks quicker.

Offline Lochgelly Violet

• Main Stander
« Reply #12209 on: Today at 08:53:36 pm »
Boooo fucking Slot out bald twat

Less of the Slot shaming please

Online Markus_12

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #12210 on: Today at 09:02:14 pm »
Virg: ‘might be one of the better Dutch coaches at the moment’  :lmao :lmao

Online koptommy93

• Legacy Fan
  • @tharris113
« Reply #12211 on: Today at 09:04:26 pm »
Won't be long before he's our new manager.

Referring to himself as the main character...ok.
I for one welcome our new insect overloads

Online has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12212 on: Today at 09:05:14 pm »
Wish him all the best, he struck gold being offered the position so is not his fault if he ends up in the hot seat.

Unfortunately, the same euphoric glee is not happening with this as was with Klopp's appointment. I think when you have to follow a legend you have to hit the ground running very fast indeed. He'll  need to lift mood of the players and fans very quickly, thus you get the feeling he is fucked before it begins.

- all in my opinion of course -

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #12213 on: Today at 09:05:30 pm »
One thing is certain to me...if this works out Edwards needs a statue next to Shankly...with all of the laptop.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12214 on: Today at 09:05:33 pm »
Virg: ‘might be one of the better Dutch coaches at the moment’  :lmao :lmao

Sounds like he can’t wait for him to arrive with lukewarm sentiments like that.

That’s the captains thoughts, I wonder what the rest are thinking.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12215 on: Today at 09:06:45 pm »
The miseries desperately trawling interviews to cling to any quote so they can be miserable. I'd honestly fuck it off if I ever get to that stage.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12216 on: Today at 09:09:42 pm »

Have you ever listened to Virj's interviews? He may as well be horizontal while speaking, that's how relaxed he is. Or do you think he should say Sloth is the second coming of Rinus Michels?

Wait for Slot to fuck up constantly befoe you knife him for fucks sakes.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:11:51 pm by Samie »

Online Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #12217 on: Today at 09:18:47 pm »
Surprised they didn’t give that other young fella a chance … won one of the lesser European leagues, tried the prem but didn’t work out although the team he left is doing well. Says he was a Liverpool fan as a kid but they all say that …. Drareg or something. Bit of a gamble but then so is Slot?

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12218 on: Today at 09:19:02 pm »

That the season has gone to shit and they'll properly think about the next guy when they have to.

Christ. What was Virgil supposed to say...hed just lost a Derby for the first time in his career and the title is unlikely. He's hardly going to be bouncing.

Some of you act like youre marrying the man. Just give him a fair shake and see what happens

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #12219 on: Today at 09:19:07 pm »
Give it to Arneh for the rest of the season

Online PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12220 on: Today at 09:21:47 pm »
Slot fangirling over getting the job, dream come true to win this lottery

Online Darren G

• Legacy Fan

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #12222 on: Today at 09:27:18 pm »
Give it to Arneh for the rest of the season

What are you on about?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12223 on: Today at 09:28:37 pm »
Hopefully wor Arne can get our wide players setting up goals like that

Online Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12224 on: Today at 09:28:37 pm »
All a bit mad this to be honest. Hadn't even heard of the guy up until yesterday now looks like it's nearly over the line. I will say though i don't like the fact he's talking about it before it's a donedeal, doesn't show much respect to his present club.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #12225 on: Today at 09:29:58 pm »
Have you ever listened to Virj's interviews? He may as well be horizontal while speaking, that's how relaxed he is. Or do you think he should say Sloth is the second coming of Rinus Michels?

Oh no! It sounds like our build-up play is going to be painfully slow.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #12226 on: Today at 09:30:48 pm »
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12227 on: Today at 09:31:41 pm »
Is he from Manchester?

:D

Transferred from Walford FC to Wetherfield Counteh.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12228 on: Today at 09:37:09 pm »
What I liked about Alonso and Amorim, is that they seem to be pioneering something new. Slot is yet another Guardiola/Bielsa influenced manager.

He’s done a good (but hardly groundbreaking) job in the Dutch league and this is a huge step up. We all saw what Gerrard and Rodgers did in Scotland and how that translated to the PL.

On the plus side, many of our more technical players will likely benefit from his system being more technically-focused than Klopp’s. Examples would be Elliott, Szobo, Mac Allister, Gravenberch, Gakpo.

Overall, it’s a huge gamble, as most of the options out there would have been. It’s an uncertain further for sure.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12229 on: Today at 09:37:20 pm »
I will support whoever they appoint.
I hope that whoever it is will bring a little of the dark arts with them.
Last night was the final straw. Jones & Diaz constantly trying to remain on their feet, the opposition constantly trying to con the officials.
Is this cheating? Yes. Do we need it? I think we do. Klopp admirably insisted on playing football the right way. We get no thanks for it. We aren't treated any better by officials for doing it. It has become an absolute must for any team to succeed. Anyone who suggests otherwise is kidding themselves. It is impossible to win the big competitions the right way anymore.
Last night I would have taken a Simeone, today I have heard mourinho as an interim. Just give me a winner. No one cares about us being nice.
I know that I'll eventually calm down, and be more reasoned in my view :D
But please bring a little dark arts to our game....

We've always been too nice under Klopp which in this shitty league is a weakness.

One way to plug the gap of losing such a great manager is to not be such pushovers and lose the nicey Liverpool tag.

That's been the mad thing though this season. 5 red cards in the league, constant bookings, a ridiculous foul count - yet there's barely a bad tackle in there, certainly no worse than our opponents.

We need to buy fouls better and take a card when needed by stopping counters. If there's a penalty shout then appeal for it properly (if it looks a pen), don't just wait to see if the ref gives it. Back each other up more.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #12230 on: Today at 09:38:52 pm »

He's getting these questions thrown at him 10 minutes after a season ending derby defeat as well, when he's visibly fuming with everyone.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12231 on: Today at 09:39:19 pm »
Best scene in Shogun.

So John Blackthorne did finally teach them to use cannons?

Don't spoil it for me, I still need to watch the finale!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Reflexivity

• Main Stander
« Reply #12232 on: Today at 09:39:58 pm »
Bob Mortimer says our new manager will be Les who is very fond of spirit levels and will solve our goals scoring issues by signing Tubby Brewster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGbZdrcqXA8